Going rate per bag for Porters?

Truluv

5 hours ago, Airbear232 said:

Whatever you tip is your prerogative.  Regarding living wage, it was meant to highlight the disparity between minimum wage and what is actually needed by a person to more than just make ends meet.  No one earning minimum wage in NA can make ends meet.  

Fair enough. I disagree but still, fair enough.

Can you give me a specific dollar amount of what a living wage should be? Specifically, what $ per hour constitutes a living wage?

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, not-enough-cruising said:

Umm according to every economist in the capitalist world.

Maybe they do things differently in Canada 

So, every economist in the capitalist world doesn’t regard a person working full time hours on minimum wage as fully employed?  Every economist believes minimum wage is only for part time students to make pocket money?  I don’t agree. 

I think this discussion has strayed.  I won’t convince you of anything nor will you convince me.  Best wishes for many happy cruises and tip or don’t tip as you see fit. 

2 minutes ago, Airbear232 said:

So, every economist in the capitalist world doesn’t regard a person working full time hours on minimum wage as fully employed?  Every economist believes minimum wage is only for part time students to make pocket money?  I don’t agree. 

I think this discussion has strayed.  I won’t convince you of anything nor will you convince me.  Best wishes for many happy cruises and tip or don’t tip as you see fit. 

Cheers

12 minutes ago, Lakelife4me said:

Can you give me a specific dollar amount of what a living wage should be? Specifically, what $ per hour constitutes a living wage?

I think it all depends on where you live and your household situation.  In Toronto, I think the current living wage calculation is between $34 and $40 per hour.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, goldfish65 said:

Amazed that giving even ONE dollar is such a big deal to people! 

for a lot of us that is not the point.  Why should we be expected to tip people who make many many many times the "tipped employee" wages to simply do their job?

Having said that, I tip about $2 a bag at drop off, mostly to make sure my bags make it to the ship.  And on the occasions I've used a porter to get my bags back to my car at the end of the cruise, I've tipped what I consider a generous $20. And I consider that worth every penny.

32 minutes ago, dahirsh said:

for a lot of us that is not the point.  Why should we be expected to tip people who make many many many times the "tipped employee" wages to simply do their job?

Having said that, I tip about $2 a bag at drop off, mostly to make sure my bags make it to the ship.  And on the occasions I've used a porter to get my bags back to my car at the end of the cruise, I've tipped what I consider a generous $20. And I consider that worth every penny.

Delivering bags to your car is certainly a tip worthy action; even for me 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, not-enough-cruising said:

Delivering bags to your car is certainly a tip worthy action; even for me 

First stop once in the baggage area is to get a porter, give him our carry-ons and walk to where our checked bags are. 

Walk through customs and to the lot, as my wife heads to the car with the porter I pay at one of the kiosks. 

In the car within 5 minutes and on our way.

LOVE BAYONNE

1 hour ago, Mbelle97 said:

My husband works for the same company as the baggage handlers at Bayonne and they are well paid union employees. I am Not saying don't tip, but don't feel obligated to make up the difference in their salary. 

I assume you are not inferring that all baggage handlers at the Bayonne cruiseport are Longshoremen.On a cruise out of Bayonne before the construction the guy who took our luggage to our car was at least 70 years old.

13 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

I assume you are not inferring that all baggage handlers at the Bayonne cruiseport are Longshoremen.On a cruise out of Bayonne before the construction the guy who took our luggage to our car was at least 70 years old.

Are longshoremen not allowed to be over 70?

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

That was my perception 

For a variety of reasons people don't always retire at 68. I know my husband (in a different trade) works with people in that age group. Some want to work until they die, some have an ex they don't want to pay out on retirement, some are on their second marriage and have kids in college to pay. I could go on but just because you can retire -- doesn't mean everyone does. 

It also doesn't make the fact that the baggage handlers are longshoremen not true. 

4 minutes ago, Mbelle97 said:

For a variety of reasons people don't always retire at 68. I know my husband (in a different trade) works with people in that age group. Some want to work until they die, some have an ex they don't want to pay out on retirement, some are on their second marriage and have kids in college to pay. I could go on but just because you can retire -- doesn't mean everyone does. 

It also doesn't make the fact that the baggage handlers are longshoremen not true. 

At the Manhattan cruiseport members of the Laborers International Union have worked on Sundays on occasion .They were not longshoremen

24 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

At the Manhattan cruiseport members of the Laborers International Union have worked on Sundays on occasion .They were not longshoremen

Not once in this post did I reference Manhattan. I have no first hand knowledge of the Manhattan terminal but I do have first hand knowledge of the Bayonne terminal. We don't need to go back and forth any longer.

1 minute ago, Mbelle97 said:

Not once in this post did I reference Manhattan. I have no first hand knowledge of the Manhattan terminal but I do have first hand knowledge of the Bayonne terminal. We don't need to go back and forth any longer.

My point was that not all baggage handlers are members of a Longshoreman’s union .This was being discussed earlier in this thread.

No need to reply ,just enjoy all your future cruises.

21 hours ago, Lakelife4me said:

It’s calculated for each town or region based on housing costs, food, transportation etc. There are organization that certifies employers as living wage payers (different wording but you get what I’m saying). According to the US accreditation it ranges from $15-18USD per hour as a living wage for most of the country. In Ontario Canada it’s $18-23CAD.

On 10/16/2023 at 4:10 PM, Oakman58 said:

I don't tip the porters on the dock.  When the room steward introduces him/herself I give them a $10 bill and thank them for delivering my luggage to the cabin.

He must often be confused because in my experience I have rarely seen my attendant as the one that delivered my luggage

• Like 1

On 10/22/2023 at 6:39 PM, Airbear232 said:

I think it all depends on where you live and your household situation.  In Toronto, I think the current living wage calculation is between $34 and $40 per hour.

4 hours ago, SoloAlaska said:

It’s calculated for each town or region based on housing costs, food, transportation etc. There are organization that certifies employers as living wage payers (different wording but you get what I’m saying). According to the US accreditation it ranges from $15-18USD per hour as a living wage for most of the country. In Ontario Canada it’s $18-23CAD.

That's two very far off assertions 

52 minutes ago, LobsterStalker said:

He must often be confused because in my experience I have rarely seen my attendant as the one that delivered my luggage

On Holland America it is the room stewards that retrieve / deliver the luggage for their sections. Probably nobody has ever given this much thought - but who else do you expect to deliver the luggage to your cabin?

I think  a lot of people here must travel alone or as a couple and only take 2-3 bags which in that case I would just give them $5. BUT, if you're traveling with a family of 4 and have 6-8 bags, it is NOT necessary to give them $15-$20 or more to simply load those bags on a cart. If I did that for every person that handled our bags from the time we leave home to the time we get back home would be a LOT. These are who handle our bags during a normal cruise trip.

1. Airport parking lot to terminal shuttle

2. Shuttle from airport to hotel

3. Hotel to port shuttle

4. Ship Terminal

5. Port to airport shuttle

6. Shuttle to car at home airport.

ALL of these people get a buck a bag or a little more as I usually round up. The cruise ship people don't deserve a nickel more for the same exact handling. In fact, these shuttle drivers sometimes are stacking up suitcases to the ceiling of their busses.

On 10/12/2023 at 7:54 AM, Truluv said:

Haven't cruised for a few years, and it's definitely time to update my info.  (The last guidance I found in the general questions was from 2016.)  Can someone let me know the going rate per bag for the porters at the Bayonne port?

We give $5. per bag

• Like 1