Have you heard of this?!?!

Dwright826

I just saw that every night , the crew will screen through all the leftover food for stuff like bones or inedibles, then chop it up like compost and that every morning at 4(ish), they'll throw it off the side of the ship to feed the fish and dolphins and stuff!

Thoughts?

Edited by Dwright826

18 minutes ago, Dwright826 said:

I just saw that every night , the crew will screen through all the leftover food for stuff like bones or inedibles, then chop it up like compost and that every morning at 4(ish), they'll throw it off the side of the ship to feed the fish and dolphins and stuff!

Thoughts?

Would like to see that ! Was it expensive? I've only seen dolphin feeding at sunset.

9 minutes ago, Hogbay said:

Would like to see that ! Was it expensive? I've only seen dolphin feeding at sunset.

I have no idea how much it costs or if they charge you to watch at all. I haven't seen it personally but will be on the radiance in December and will definitely be looking into it. I heard about it watching a YouTube blog on the radiance.

9 minutes ago, Dwright826 said:

I have no idea how much it costs or if they charge you to watch at all. I haven't seen it personally but will be on the radiance in December and will definitely be looking into it. I heard about it watching a YouTube blog on the radiance.

You didn't see it because it isn't true.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Dwright826 said:

Thoughts?

Where did you see this?  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Elaine5715 said:

Where did you see this?  

It was mentioned in a cruise vlog I was watching. I'll see if I can figure out how to post the link. He did say that is was a waiter that told him that so maybe he was just having his chain yanked

5 hours ago, mz-s said:

5 hours ago, mz-s said:

Two minutes of research would have told you that they don't have somebody dig through your uneaten prime rib looking for bones and then they just throw the food overboard in the cover of night.

Did you even read your link? It's totally "discharged" into the ocean. 

44 minutes ago, Elaine5715 said:

He is wrong.  See the link I posted.  Food is processed and liquefied but not for dolphins.   

Food is collected, broken down into a "slushy like" substance in one of these digesters and then discharged into the ocean no closer than 12 miles from shore. I could see how that would attract dolphins. 😉

Edited by Dwright826

Okay, lets get the facts straight here.

It has been illegal to dump food waste at sea, unless it has been ground to less than 1/4" for decades.  The crew do not sort through the food waste and then dump it overboard.  Cruise ships use two systems to treat food waste before it goes overboard:  pulpers and biodigesters.

Pulpers are industrial sized garbage disposals, that are located at each dishwashing station in the galleys, and are all connected together in a closed system of water flow.  The unused food that must be disposed of each night (there are virtually no "leftovers" on a cruise ship, contrary to popular belief) is also sent through a pulper.  The drains from the various pulpers flow to a collecting tank where the water is separated from the ground food.  The water is pumped back to the pulpers to wash the food into the pulper, and the food waste (with a consistency of oatmeal) is held in the tank.  At night the food waste is pumped overboard, below the waterline, so there is nothing to "see".  The food waste is commonly called "fish food", but it is discharged at a slow rate, while the ship is moving, so there is no great concentration of food to attract fish.  Also, the "oatmeal" dissolves rapidly when pumped into the ocean, so again, large (or even small fish) would have a hard time finding the nutrients and separating them from the water.  It would, at best, benefit fish around 4-6" size.

Biodigesters are newer for use in treating food waste, but are the same technology that cruise ships have been using for decades to treat sewage before pumping overboard.  Bacteria digest the food waste, leaving "gray water", which means it is contaminated water (having waste products from the bacteria in it), which can be pumped overboard.  This end product has even less nutrient content than pulper discharge, so even less of an attraction for fish.  Another, little mentioned, fact about biodigesters is that they release CO2 as part of the digestion process, so adding to the ship's carbon footprint.

Dolphins are attracted to the cruise ships because fish are attracted to the lights shown on the cruise ship, and are disrupted by the passing of the ship, and become food for the dolphins.  The food waste put overboard has nothing to do with the attraction of dolphins.  The food waste becomes so dilute as to not be a factor.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 19

I spoke to some very nice dolphins who were just getting off of their 4th B2B feeding this year. They told me the dining quality has severely gone downhill since COVID. Food was salty and inedible.

Edited by Joebucks
  • Like 1
  • Haha 9

26 minutes ago, Joebucks said:

I spoke to some very nice dolphins who were just getting off of their 4th B2B feeding this year. They told me the dining quality has severely gone downhill since COVID. Food was salty and inedible.

A dolphin I met said her ankles swell up really bad after elegant night. 

• Haha 8

1 hour ago, Joebucks said:

Even more disgruntled are the dolphin who usually follow the Celebrity ships, as food quality is reported to now be worse than Carnival. Those Celebrity dolphin have been jumping ship over to Carnival and taking all the benefits from the Carnival Diamond dolphin. 

• Haha 2