Person Attacked on Carnival Magic

EdmundXXIII

On 10/24/2023 at 8:04 AM, Canadian_J said:

Agreed, enforcement is key. Whenever folks see news (or viral events) of folks breaking rules, there are inevitably some who are emboldened or at the least not deterred from doing the same. When we see examples of enforcement and companies taking a strong response, that can be some of the best deterred to others. Look at unruly passenger events with airlines, another very similar example. Folks need to know there are rules and that they'll be enforced. It deters people from breaking them and gives confidence to other passengers that they'll be safe.

Yet, how many criminals are turned into heroes and victims by the media?  How many times do we hear that there was no consequences?  No bail?  No charges?  How many times do people use criminal actions to be clicks and get famous?   

• Like 5

50 minutes ago, Amyracecar said:

I think there will certainly be a bit of bad behaviour on a short cruise where people are just booking for a cheap weekend of alcohol and merriment, but serious incidents seem to be happening everywhere unfortunately. 

There was an incident on the Carnival Pride during the Oct 8th-18th Sailing in Europe, where a family member threw a glass at her cousin in the main dining room and caused fairly significant cuts and bleeding. I feel a bit sad for the majority as it was a great crowd and generally I felt people were well behaved, with no major rowdiness in public areas that I noticed myself. This one doesn't seem to have been widely reported, perhaps because it was a family argument and was dealt with by Carnival disembarking the attacker at the first opportunity. 

It's perhaps just a reflection on society, as more stories like these seem to be reported everywhere. We've just got to be responsible for ourselves and try to provide a better example, I guess. 

Many of the large videoed events onboard were family fights.  My guess this is typical family behavior but someone got the idea to go on a cruise.  I would also guess people who didn't pay, didn't care if they ever cruised again and if they got FancyPants Cruiser kicked off also, that would stop hearing about those vacations ever again.    

• Like 1

On 10/23/2023 at 12:47 PM, EdmundXXIII said:

Always amazes me that people think doing crap like this won't end very badly for them.

The error here is "think". You are assuming the person is a rational and logical person who thinks through their actions before they do them. Many people let alcohol or emotions rule their actions and do things without thinking of the consequences. 

25 minutes ago, sanger727 said:

The error here is "think". You are assuming the person is a rational and logical person who thinks through their actions before they do them. Many people let alcohol or emotions rule their actions and do things without thinking of the consequences. 

I feel like my life would be infinitely more exciting if I STOPPED thinking things through before I do them...    I may give that a try and see how it works out for me.  🤣

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Elaine5715 said:

Yet, how many criminals are turned into heroes and victims by the media?  How many times do we hear that there was no consequences?  No bail?  No charges?  How many times do people use criminal actions to be clicks and get famous?   

Tell me about it! I’m from near Minneapolis.

• Like 4

11 hours ago, Elaine5715 said:

This is the answer right here. Enforcing rules is a political no-no anymore. It's mean, and god forbid the offender escalates the situation. 

Unfortunately, you have to just hope people don't do anything, or just attract a better crowd.

• Like 5

9 hours ago, Joebucks said:

This is the answer right here. Enforcing rules is a political no-no anymore. It's mean, and god forbid the offender escalates the situation. 

Unfortunately, you have to just hope people don't do anything, or just attract a better crowd.

Since this permeates society attracting a better crowd is going to be tough indeed.

3 hours ago, sparks1093 said:

Since this permeates society attracting a better crowd is going to be tough indeed.

True, when there are many popular TV shows with wealthy women who get famous (and richer) by violent outbursts and physical attacks.  Are any of those "celebrities" known for manners and  kindness?  

• Like 4

35 minutes ago, Elaine5715 said:

True, when there are many popular TV shows with wealthy women who get famous (and richer) by violent outbursts and physical attacks.  Are any of those "celebrities" known for manners and  kindness?  

No they would be mercilessly mocked as prudish or a rube.

• Like 2

On 10/23/2023 at 1:29 PM, MistyRo76 said:

I would think the brig would be more secured. Unless you station someone right outside their cabin 24/7, what’s to prevent them from leaving? 

I was on this cruise, and a security officer sat in a chair outside the person's inside cabin all day and night.  It was a few doors down from us.  The person was not leaving their room for sure.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/3/2023 at 7:38 PM, happycruiser220 said:

Yup right next to the morgue. At least on Venezia. 

They seem to be right next to echother on many ship classes.  Vista class for sure, and also Dream and Conquest-class, as I hazily recall from Behind the Fun tours.  

5 hours ago, Pellaz said:

They seem to be right next to echother on many ship classes.  Vista class for sure, and also Dream and Conquest-class, as I hazily recall from Behind the Fun tours.  

They actually show the morgue on behind the fun tours?

5 hours ago, ontheweb said:

They actually show the morgue on behind the fun tours?

No, but typically you walk by the two doors, unsurprisingly labeled "Brig" and "Morgue."  

On the Horizon BtF tour a few weeks ago, our tour guide prefaced the walk-through by telling us that we would be passing by a few places that were too small for our group to stop near.  The crew laundry, crew gym, the morgue and the brig.  

7 minutes ago, Pellaz said:

No, but typically you walk by the two doors, unsurprisingly labeled "Brig" and "Morgue."  

On the Horizon BtF tour a few weeks ago, our tour guide prefaced the walk-through by telling us that we would be passing by a few places that were too small for our group to stop near.  The crew laundry, crew gym, the morgue and the brig.  

Whew, at least both the morgue and the brig are small.

3 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

Whew, at least both the morgue and the brig are small.

No way of knowing how "deep" they go behind the doors, but yes, they seem small. 

I remember thinking the door to the brig was surprisingly narrow, too, at least on Horizon.  As a fluffy cruiser, maybe I wouldn't fit through the doorway, so....wheee!   I can act with carefree abandon onboard!  😄    (Nahh, I'd just be confined to quarters for the duration.)

On 10/24/2023 at 12:59 PM, chengkp75 said:

Let's look at this.  The UN, has set the right to sanitation to be a universal human right.  While both Panama and Bahamas are signatory to the convention, the US has not formally ratified the convention, with the thinking that sanitation is not a basic human right, but a socio-economic one.  So, the major flag states for cruise ships are more forward thinking than the US, with regards to access to sanitation.

Yeah, you may want to do some reading on sanitation in the Bahamian correctional system.  Many prisoners get a bucket for a toilet. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, garyh9900 said:

Yeah, you may want to do some reading on sanitation in the Bahamian correctional system.  Many prisoners get a bucket for a toilet. 

A lot of countries sign a lot of conventions and don't comply with them for any number of reasons. I'm sure there's a difference between a treaty and a convention in the enforcement arena.

17 hours ago, Pellaz said:

No way of knowing how "deep" they go behind the doors, but yes, they seem small. 

I remember thinking the door to the brig was surprisingly narrow, too, at least on Horizon.  As a fluffy cruiser, maybe I wouldn't fit through the doorway, so....wheee!   I can act with carefree abandon onboard!  😄    (Nahh, I'd just be confined to quarters for the duration.)

Did anyone ask about the room service menu for the brig? 🤣