"Exotic" Menu Options

KillerSnake

Not necessarily exotic but there is usually a duck dish or appetizer one night. Also we did find the had escargot on the menu again on our last cruise. 

I remember years ago when my kids were younger they had frog’s legs in the menu one cruise. They both insisted on ordering it over my protestations. It arrived looking as nauseating as I anticipated and they both changed their minds rather quickly. 

They both still love escargot, though. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I’ve never seen wild game on a cruise ship menu. I doubt there is sufficient demand.  But there are plenty of restaurants onshore where you can try them.  Use google to find one near you.

Edited by BamaVol
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, karatemom2 said:

Not necessarily exotic but there is usually a duck dish or appetizer one night. Also we did find the had escargot on the menu again on our last cruise

I like good escargot.   I would expect that in the Crown Grill every night along with Fois Gras.

I forgot about Duck. That's some good eats right there.

8 hours ago, BamaVol said:

I’ve never seen wild game on a cruise ship menu. I doubt there is sufficient demand.  But there are plenty of restaurants onshore where you can try them.  Use google to find one near you.

I don't consider them "wild game" as everything available here is "farm raised" so it meets the government regulations for food.

I only called it exotic because not everyone eats any of them.

2 minutes ago, MissP22 said:

The last time we had anything close to exotic was on an Alaskan cruise which was reindeer chili and that was years ago. 

Rudolph chili? 🤯  Did Santa know you'd taken out his lead reindeer?  Oh. the humanity!

• Haha 2

Lamb (and veal if you consider that exotic as well) is available in the MDR on most cruises in different preparations. It’s also available at the Crown Grill. I’ve seen Guinea Fowl occasionally a few times in the MDR.

I’ve never seen any game meats  or birds or goat.

5 hours ago, DCThunder said:

Rudolph chili? 🤯  Did Santa know you'd taken out his lead reindeer?  Oh. the humanity!

1 hour ago, KillerSnake said:

Absolutely tasty. Had some in Fairbanks, AK summer of 2021 and 2022.

Some would even say it glowed....

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

5 hours ago, KillerSnake said:

I like good escargot.   I would expect that in the Crown Grill every night along with Fois Gras.

I can't recall ever seeing either escargot or foie gras on the Crown Grill menu,

• Like 1

On 10/24/2023 at 8:38 PM, KillerSnake said:

Are meat options like goat, lamb, quail or pheasant generally available at least once on the MDR menu during

a 7 day cruise?

No, except Lamb.We see items such as Dover Sole/Foie Gras/Maine Lobster etc. on Oceania.Lamb should be available in the specialties on Princess.We've doing Oceania the last few years, but booked a Cabana Reserve mini suite on the Sun. I want to see if the food is a step above the rather poor food I've seen on Princess as of late. Reserve & the full suites have their own restaurants & we hope the food will be better. It should be for the considerably higher price.

On 10/25/2023 at 3:26 PM, Mud_Shark said:

Frog legs were on the menu three weeks ago on the Royal Pr.  Was not brave enough to order them.

They taste similar to Chicken. You need to try expanding your culinary horizons.

Edited by rbtan
additions
  • Like 2

On 10/24/2023 at 8:38 PM, KillerSnake said:

Are meat options like goat, lamb, quail or pheasant generally available at least once on the MDR menu during

a 7 day cruise?

I was on the Royal in September... lamb was served in the main dining room one night and it was very good....didn't see goat, quail or pheasant...just chicken, turkey and duck and lots of fish dishes

IMG_1811.jpeg

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Samkitty1 said:

I was on the Royal in September... lamb was served in the main dining room one night and it was very good....didn't see goat, quail or pheasant...just chicken, turkey and duck and lots of fish dishes

IMG_1811.jpeg

Though my spouse hates Lamb, I think it looks pretty tasty. I just need the mint preserves(not the gross emerald green stuff)

1 hour ago, rbtan said:

Though my spouse hates Lamb, I think it looks pretty tasty. I just need the mint preserves(not the gross emerald green stuff)

They did offer mint jelly on the side but I didn't try it. The lamb was delish!

On 10/25/2023 at 5:24 AM, KillerSnake said:

I forgot about Duck. That's some good eats right there.

In reference to Crown Grill, haven't seen either one on the menu on the ships I have been on.