Second Brisbane terminal??

bazzaw

10 hours ago, Ozwoody said:

You know its not the road that's the real problem, its the transport to and from that's the real pain in the umm bottom.

I feel sorry for the people who arrive as a port stop, no real options but to take the expensive ship shuttles to the city.

I would have though part of the planning of the facility would have included transport to and from.

The railway line is not that far away surely a branch line would have been possible?

???

Remember, the world shut down for a couple of years just before the terminal opened.

I imagine the access will improve over time but how quickly will depend on what priority it gets among other local infrastructure project. The Queensland government and local councils must be aware of how it is seen by international and domestic visitors to Brisbane. Hopefully they can come up with some acceptable solutions.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, possum52 said:

It would for passengers who are in Brisbane for the day. I don't think anyone was really thinking of ferries solely for turnaround days.

Just now, MicCanberra said:

What luggage are people bringing on day trips

Apologies, purely thinking of passengers disembarking and going to the airport or home, not day tripping. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Zetta83 said:

I am not suggesting governments should use public transportation funds to provide subsides for tourist. My main gripe is still solely on the roads in and out of the area. If accessibility is an issue we cannot change, at the very least fix up the roads. I live near industry areas, landscaping businesses and a tip collection, I certainly do not see the same problems. Like during the Pandemic, the government does not see value in the cruising industry as most of the voters do not work on ships.

Purely my point of view. Whether they fix up the roads, build public transport or not, I will still go cruising as it is the best value I can find for my money.

I agree that that stuff all needs doing. I just can't see there will ever be an appetite for those in charge to improve the corridor beyond patching potholes.

I would also like to see them spend money to provide a better first impression of Brisbane. Portside was nice, but arriving up the river on ships like Pacific Dawn or Dawn Princess wasn't a pretty experience either.

With so much tidal land around those roads, it is expensive to keep a good base under them. I certainly think it could be made a better quality road at least tas far as the Tangalooma Ferry. With so many private land holders along the stretch and industrial neighbours, it is going to be hard to make it look attractive.

There is always that battle of who needs to spend the money between the ports, Brisbane City Council. or the QLD government It isn't necessarily about votes, but everything seems to be cycled through a cost/benefit analysis whenever a govt department wants to upgrade anything.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, sewgood said:

Being unfamiliar with the area it was just as well for the roadside signs saying BICT as I was starting to get worried as to where our taxi driver was taking us.😄

Same experience for us too, hehehe. As regards potholes in the road, NZers at least will think nothing of them, we're well used to potholes! 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Zetta83 said:

Apologies, purely thinking of passengers disembarking and going to the airport or home, not day tripping. 

That is fine.

IMO, the bulk of debarking passengers wouldn't want a river cat going only to Hamilton or even the CBD.

If people are heading to the airport, there are already shuttles, taxis and uber apart from the ship transfers. I suppose the same goes for those going home in Brisbane who do not have their car there or a lift.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

That is fine.

IMO, the bulk of debarking passengers wouldn't want a river cat going only to Hamilton or even the CBD.

If people are heading to the airport, there are already shuttles, taxis and uber apart from the ship transfers. I suppose the same goes for those going home in Brisbane who do not have their car there or a lift.

I agree. Although I don't think the CityCat would work for practical reasons, it would only interest passengers who come into Brisbane as a port call. This would not be often enough to warrant the cost. Maybe a few B2B passengers could be interested but there would be even fewer people, certainly not enough to have a ferry travel all the way down the river, then back to the CBD.

For visiting cruisers, they already have shuttles running into the city. The issue is the cost, not the lack of service. Those on ship or independent tours will already be out & about.

For turnaround days, there is no timetabled public bus running up to the terminal for those that think there should be. A separate issue.

I am happy enough to fly from Newcastle, spend a night at Portside then spend money for a cab on cruise day. Travelling past the service hangars at the back of the airport can be a bit interesting, and we often peek through the ugly bits to see the nice pointy bits of the ship. Sometimes I feel that people in Brisbane are embarrassed about what visitors will think. We don't think, no need to be embarrassed. 

You have a nice new terminal with a less than flattering drive from the terminal gates to the Trade Coast, I get it. At least you now have 4 home based ships there each summer, giving you more choice and cheaper pricing. It is that extra choice of ships that brings us to Brisbane to cruise. If the only option was Pacific Explorer from Portside, we wouldn't bother.

• Like 5

People have been spoilt by the OPT.

The BICT is not as blessed as the OPT in anything other than the ability to supply and load cruise ships. To me that makes up for all sorts of failings.

If there is a comparison, maybe it should be to ports like Adelaide or Wellington, rather than to what is probably one of the three best ports in the world.

• Like 1

I'm only a visitor when I go to Brisbane, but the BICT is a pain in the posterior to get to. I can see that it is a long bus shuttle ride, but I did wonder if a shorter shuttle might be more viable on cruise ship days. If you could get a shuttle going from Eagle Junction rail station to the BICT, it would open up possibilities for  two way travel. Disembarking passengers (both day trippers and those leaving the ship) could use the initial bus shuttle to get to the train, and then have the choice of going into the CBD or out to the airport. People starting the cruise could do the same in reverse.  It's a shorter distance, maybe 20 mins one way?

• Like 4

4 hours ago, SinbadThePorter said:

People have been spoilt by the OPT.

The BICT is not as blessed as the OPT in anything other than the ability to supply and load cruise ships. To me that makes up for all sorts of failings.

If there is a comparison, maybe it should be to ports like Adelaide or Wellington, rather than to what is probably one of the three best ports in the world.

You joking? Adelaide has a train station you can walk to . BICT is a stinker in more ways than one .

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Hogbay said:

You joking? Adelaide has a train station you can walk to . BICT is a stinker in more ways than one .

I know, I've caught the train there. The station dates back to 1907. Good luck trying to get something like that built for a new cruise terminal.

Anyway I was talking about the looks. Most cruise terminals are in pretty unappealing locations, the OPT happens to be one that's in a nice scenic spot, between the Opera House and the Bridge.

If the BICT is not good enough as is, where would you like them to move it to?

6 hours ago, SinbadThePorter said:

I know, I've caught the train there. The station dates back to 1907. Good luck trying to get something like that built for a new cruise terminal.

Anyway I was talking about the looks. Most cruise terminals are in pretty unappealing locations, the OPT happens to be one that's in a nice scenic spot, between the Opera House and the Bridge.

If the BICT is not good enough as is, where would you like them to move it to?

They are not going to move it .. I would like to know what the DA said under Infrastructure, transport and environmental, next to STP .

14 minutes ago, Hogbay said:

I have just requested add bus stop to 303 route and expansion of services on ship port days to BICT to Translink Qld. I hear you laughing but thats how you change things.  🙂

Great idea. I will put in my feedback to translink too, not that I will be using it as Brisbane is my homeport.

Appreciate that you are taking action.

• Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, Zetta83 said:

Great idea. I will put in my feedback to translink too, not that I will be using it as Brisbane is my homeport.

Appreciate that you are taking action.

Thanks, here is a update 🙂Screenshot_20231101-090442_Gmail.thumb.jpg.9fba30ccacee2f3253e6f835b935f584.jpg

• Like 2

On 10/31/2023 at 12:12 PM, Jean C said:

Same experience for us too, hehehe. As regards potholes in the road, NZers at least will think nothing of them, we're well used to potholes! 

We weren't too worried about getting to the BICT. a) we were using a transfer service and b) we'd read all the reports about it being out in the boonies.🙂

• Like 1

20 hours ago, cruiser3775 said:

I'm only a visitor when I go to Brisbane, but the BICT is a pain in the posterior to get to. I can see that it is a long bus shuttle ride, but I did wonder if a shorter shuttle might be more viable on cruise ship days. If you could get a shuttle going from Eagle Junction rail station to the BICT, it would open up possibilities for  two way travel. Disembarking passengers (both day trippers and those leaving the ship) could use the initial bus shuttle to get to the train, and then have the choice of going into the CBD or out to the airport. People starting the cruise could do the same in reverse.  It's a shorter distance, maybe 20 mins one way?

For our last cruise we used a door to door transfer service to and from the BICT. There were four of us and it cost $70 each (and that included pick ups and drop offs at two locations), each way for a late model, air conditioned Mercedes van. We estimated that was cheaper than taking the train and then a shuttle, cab or Uber. It was great. No fuss and we were not left hefting luggage on and off trains, etc. Although we could drive and pay for parking, we prefer to go the transfer route and leave our car safely at home.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

Wondering what the attraction of Lelepa Island, Royal Caribbean's first private island, is going to be for Australians.  Australia's beautiful beaches are all free for everyone to enjoy. 

From Brisbane locally we have Moreton Island, Stradbroke Island, plus Sunshine Coast and Gold Coast. 

• Like 7

3 hours ago, MMDown Under said:

Wondering what the attraction of Lelepa Island, Royal Caribbean's first private island, is going to be for Australians.  Australia's beautiful beaches are all free for everyone to enjoy. 

From Brisbane locally we have Moreton Island, Stradbroke Island, plus Sunshine Coast and Gold Coast. 

It is so cruise passengers can have a perfect day, and enjoy the facilities which ever way they want.

4 hours ago, MMDown Under said:

Wondering what the attraction of Lelepa Island, Royal Caribbean's first private island, is going to be for Australians.  

Somewhere different? Anything would beat Lifou as a visit port. 

On 11/1/2023 at 1:53 PM, MicCanberra said:

We have used Con X ion for transfers a few times, from the Gold Coast and from the DFO and also the Brisbane airport.

Do you reckon they would be a good fit from BICC to the airport when disembarking from the Quantum ?

33 minutes ago, JohnGc said:

Do you reckon they would be a good fit from BICC to the airport when disembarking from the Quantum ?

Have never tried ConX but were very happy with Sky Transfers and they were punctual to the minute when picking us up. Indeed we disembarked the cruise earlier than expected and they adjusted the pick up time when we advised them of the change so we were only waiting around 20 minutes instead of 1.5 hours.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ceeceeDee said:

Have never tried ConX but were very happy with Sky Transfers and they were punctual to the minute when picking us up. Indeed we disembarked the cruise earlier than expected and they adjusted the pick up time when we advised them of the change so we were only waiting around 20 minutes instead of 1.5 hours.

Great, I will have look at that. Thank you. 

• Like 1