Turning 4 star and nobody is interested in it

JanDom

Got my 4* pin on the day before the end on the Rotterdam Transatlantic Cruise last month.  I can't wait until, not only for the free laundry, but to have my own invite to the complementary wine tasting.  I was always the add-on to my parents' invite before. 

• Like 3

HAL appears to have an enviable "loyalty" problem. Too many still choose HAL, regardless of what gets handed out in response.

The future of the Mariners Program will be interesting.  The history of when it started and how it grew a loyal passenger base, even more so.

HAL itineraries and onboard experience, weighed the most in our own "HAL loyalty"  decisions. 

18 minutes ago, OlsSalt said:

HAL itineraries and onboard experience, weighed the most in our own "HAL loyalty"  decisions. 

No other line yet offers the variety of long unique voyages.  Besides being extensive and somewhat intensive a certain social cohesion takes place when people are all committed to getting along for at least 30 days. When I see suggestions on these boards I do go look and can’t find similar voyages except world cruises which are a bit too long for my tastes. 

• Like 3

59 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

No other line yet offers the variety of long unique voyages.  Besides being extensive and somewhat intensive a certain social cohesion takes place when people are all committed to getting along for at least 30 days. When I see suggestions on these boards I do go look and can’t find similar voyages except world cruises which are a bit too long for my tastes. 

We got hooked on our second HAL  cruise called "Northern Strong Holds" - which was maybe 14 days, but I have never seen that itinerary again.

Kind of a post-repositioning extra before the start of the European summer season. Rotterdam, Gdansk Poland,  scattering of Scandinavia, and the real treat I don't think they ever went back to again -  tiny Bornholm Island, Denmark.  Danish pastries on that little island were perfection. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, OlsSalt said:

We got hooked on our second HAL  cruise called "Northern Strong Holds" - which was maybe 14 days, but I have never seen that itinerary again.

Kind of a post-repositioning extra before the start of the European summer season. Rotterdam, Gdansk Poland,  scattering of Scandinavia, and the real treat I don't think they ever went back to again -  tiny Bornholm Island, Denmark.  Danish pastries on that little island were perfection. 

Funny you mention it as my Baltics cruise is going to Ronne next fall, this is the final cruise before the Rotterdam sails back to Florida.  I was researching it last night 

• Like 1

Hit four star 5 yr ago. I don’t recall any email congratulating us & wasn’t expecting one either. Four star is the BIGGY due to perks that go with it…..free laundry was all I was interested in, but half off dining fee in specialty restaurants is good even tho HAL keeps raising the fee. It’s now $46-$50 I don’t remember exactly. The Medallions are something I’m not excited about. Got the first one & tossed it. Really? Are people displaying these? Last pin was probably 8-10 yr ago….lost in a jewelry box or tossed in a move. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, DoorCounty said:

Hit four star 5 yr ago. I don’t recall any email congratulating us & wasn’t expecting one either. Four star is the BIGGY due to perks that go with it…..free laundry was all I was interested in, but half off dining fee in specialty restaurants is good even tho HAL keeps raising the fee. It’s now $46-$50 I don’t remember exactly. The Medallions are something I’m not excited about. Got the first one & tossed it. Really? Are people displaying these? Last pin was probably 8-10 yr ago….lost in a jewelry box or tossed in a move. 

Sad to say, I keep no clutter. That includes pins and medallions. The cruise memories are all I need, and if they clutter my brain, all the better. 

• Like 3

I'm afraid I really don't get the whole "status" thing. I believe those who have been loyal customers deserve to have the perks that loyalty gives them. Free laundry is clearly an excellent perk, as are the discounts offered. Does this repeat business give the holder some mystical power? Not so much. For those that have reached these lofty points, good on you. You have had the free time and disposable income to cruise often. I certainly appreciate the good tips that CC members share, those who are most helpful seem to be those who do not feel the need to mention their "status"

• Like 7

5 hours ago, Blackduck59 said:

I'm afraid I really don't get the whole "status" thing. I believe those who have been loyal customers deserve to have the perks that loyalty gives them. Free laundry is clearly an excellent perk, as are the discounts offered. Does this repeat business give the holder some mystical power? Not so much. For those that have reached these lofty points, good on you. You have had the free time and disposable income to cruise often. I certainly appreciate the good tips that CC members share, those who are most helpful seem to be those who do not feel the need to mention their "status"

Just to respond, as usual you make a good point .  I love learning new tips on this site, too. As far as the *status* people, I  always zone out when folks go on about it. Some of my best friends in life have been a whole lot poorer than I , and a whole lot nicer than most. Status is worthless, as we all know.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

8 hours ago, DoorCounty said:

The Medallions are something I’m not excited about. Got the first one & tossed it. Really? Are people displaying these? Last pin was probably 8-10 yr ago….lost in a jewelry box or tossed in a move.

If you don't want the medallions or pins, then there's no reason to take them in the first place. Tossing them only adds to the landfill problem. 
Just refuse them in the first place, so they can go to someone who does want them. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3

What HAL does that's nice is give a ceremony when you reach cruise day milestones, starting at 100 (unless that has gone away too). Free drinks, a medal presented by the captain and hotel director. The old Mariner lunches also made me feel valued, too, with varied drinks, meal, captain's thanks, and tile presented at the end. The receptions now of sitting around and getting a glass of bubbly and a tile left outside your door (if they're not out) just doesn't do anything for me. I prefer the Princess loyalty program, since you can get status based on numbers of cruises, rather than sea days, and solos like me get double credit, so I got to their top status through lots of short coastal cruises, and enjoy things like a free minibar setup. Having a medallion with your loyalty level also gives a little sense of self-importance, and before that they'd put door tags with your name and loyalty color. 

On 10/29/2023 at 3:36 AM, JanDom said:

Hello to all HAL Cruisers.

We were on a 14 days cruise with the Rotterdam in May.
During this cruise we turned from a 3 star to a 4 star Mariner…. And nobody was interest in that…. Back home we wrote a nice email if we will get any informations about that but we never ever got an answer.

The only way we know that we turned to 4 star is when logging in on the HAL homepage and have a look in our Mariner account.

For us it seems a little bit like they are not interested in us any more.

(we are in our early 40‘s and plenty of time to do a lot more cruises in our life).

We are pretty sad about this situation, because HAL always was our favourite cruise line. 

Does anybody of you had this before?

Thanks and greets

Janine 

Just checking to see I have this correct.  May 2023 you were on the Rotterdam enjoying a 14 day cruise.  During this cruise you determined that you had acquired the necessary Cruise Days to qualify as a 4* Mariner.  You are now upset that nobody noticed.  People tend to be unhappy when expectations and reality do not match. Your expectations are all incorrect.  You do not qualify for the next level, until you complete all he requirements, and Sail on another cruise.  The fact that you were not a 4* Mariner, probably explains why nobody noticed.

Why are you sad?  Is it because you wrote a very critical post to Cruise Critic about HAL Without doing any research which would have shown that everything was done correctly, making your post just plain wrong and full of misinformation

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

16 minutes ago, MikeD4134 said:

Just checking to see I have this correct.  May 2023 you were on the Rotterdam enjoying a 14 day cruise.  During this cruise you determined that you had acquired the necessary Cruise Days to qualify as a 4* Mariner.  You are now upset that nobody noticed.  People tend to be unhappy when expectations and reality do not match. Your expectations are all incorrect.  You do not qualify for the next level, until you complete all he requirements, and Sail on another cruise.  The fact that you were not a 4* Mariner, probably explains why nobody noticed.

Why are you sad?  Is it because you wrote a very critical post to Cruise Critic about HAL Without doing any research which would have shown that everything was done correctly, making your post just plain wrong and full of misinformation

What is wrong with my post ?

And I don’t think it is very critical - I just asked myself some questions … 

on our last cruises we got a pin and a letter that we now reached a higher „level“ at the end. Also for two and for three star it was like that.

people next to our cabin also got their 3 star pin during the cruise because we saw it hanging in front of their door.

I like HAL - this is why we are 4 star mariners!

I also think that these guys turning 4 stars or more are very important people for the cruise line because they are always coming back (I am not going with a cruise line I don‘t like on so much cruises).

I know that we get the perks on the next cruise. And I recognized we turned four star at home when checking my account - I was not sitting in my cabin and waiting for them to bring me the pin.

But I also know the celebrations (not for us - for the Medaillon members !)  on other cruise ships in the past and just where a little upset that there was nothing like that on this cruise and I do not even get an information during this cruise (like we got on the other cruises before) :“hey you are 4 star now“.

for me it seemed like loyal cruisers are not important any more - and in my opinion that is the wrong thing …

Like it is said on many posts before - we are happy to be a 4star now because of the laundry and other perks. 

…. and it seems like a lot of people liked the ceremony’s and just the informations: hey - nice to have you back here on board….

• Like 1

8 hours ago, JanDom said:

What is wrong with my post ?

And I don’t think it is very critical - I just asked myself some questions … 

on our last cruises we got a pin and a letter that we now reached a higher „level“ at the end. Also for two and for three star it was like that.

people next to our cabin also got their 3 star pin during the cruise because we saw it hanging in front of their door.

I like HAL - this is why we are 4 star mariners!

I also think that these guys turning 4 stars or more are very important people for the cruise line because they are always coming back (I am not going with a cruise line I don‘t like on so much cruises).

I know that we get the perks on the next cruise. And I recognized we turned four star at home when checking my account - I was not sitting in my cabin and waiting for them to bring me the pin.

But I also know the celebrations (not for us - for the Medaillon members !)  on other cruise ships in the past and just where a little upset that there was nothing like that on this cruise and I do not even get an information during this cruise (like we got on the other cruises before) :“hey you are 4 star now“.

for me it seemed like loyal cruisers are not important any more - and in my opinion that is the wrong thing …

Like it is said on many posts before - we are happy to be a 4star now because of the laundry and other perks. 

…. and it seems like a lot of people liked the ceremony’s and just the informations: hey - nice to have you back here on board….

Agree with your points about the  Loyatly program in general.You are correct about now and before: many things have changed with HAL and  much depends on the ship you are on.

Also, it is obvious the Captains have imput into how much time they wish to spend on pax-related items, like the Mariner parties. (I feel for the Hotel General Managers having to deal with how to put together a gracious party!). On one ship we were on last year only awardees and Mariners with Platinum Medallions were invited to the Mariner Awards Party. To top that off, photos with the Captain and Hotel General Manager were offered only to Awardees: even Platinum with 700+ actual days won't necessarily get you an extra like that. However, the food and wine was very nice and plentiful, the bar staff were gracious, the Guest Relations Manager and the Mariner Rep were there and talked to many. Some pluses and minuses: the new HAL.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I was due to receive my 100 day medallion on my May AK cruise on the Eurodam. I did not get it.🫣

Once home, I reached out to the Mariners Desk; response said I would get it during my next cruise,🤔 which was the one that just ended (NS Rome r/t Oct 29-Nov 9). I once again, I got off the ship w/o it and no invitation to a ceremony where they would have been distributed. 😪

Edited by Haljo1935
Additional comment
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

On 10/29/2023 at 4:19 AM, ski ww said:

You can go to front desk and get your four* pin. At one time they did have a small recognition ceremony were the Capt gave you your medallion on a cruise after you reached your next level. They might do so on your next cruise. Don't know if the even do it any more, have not seen it done on our last three cruises.  

We earned our Silver medallion two cruises ago and were told that since that was a short cruise we would get it on our next one.  No biggie, since that was only a month away.  Next cruise we were invited to the medallion event and while 4 others received their Silver, we did not!  Talked to the crew member in charge afterwards and he said that we were not on his list but would check on it and we would get it on next cruise (heard that before!).  That evening we received a printout from him showing all of our cruises and days, but no note or explanation of why we did not get it (we were clearly due it, even by hos printout).  Very dissapointed.

• Like 2

On 11/5/2023 at 6:30 PM, RuthC said:

If you don't want the medallions or pins, then there's no reason to take them in the first place. Tossing them only adds to the landfill problem. 
Just refuse them in the first place, so they can go to someone who does want them. 

Thanks 

2 hours ago, Haljo1935 said:

I was due to receive my 100 day medallion on my May AK cruise on the Eurodam. I did not get it.🫣

Once home, I reached out to the Mariners Desk; response said I would get it during my next cruise,🤔 which was the one that just ended (NS Rome r/t Oct 29-Nov 9). I once again, I got off the ship w/o it and no invitation to a ceremony where they would have been distributed. 😪

A quick trip to Guest Services after boarding could have easily resolved this situation.  A gentle reminder, although it should not really be required, never hurts.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, taxmantoo said:

A quick trip to Guest Services after boarding could have easily resolved this situation.  A gentle reminder, although it should not really be required, never hurts.

We tried that two weeks ago and the front desk was absolutely NO help.  Said they had no control over it.  And of course, we did not get the medal later on.

1 hour ago, DaveOKC said:

We tried that two weeks ago and the front desk was absolutely NO help.  Said they had no control over it.  And of course, we did not get the medal later on.

The problems with the medallions, pins, status level being recognized, etc seem to have exacerbated in the past couple of years.  I don't know if this was caused by the resumption after covid lockdown, the retirement of Mariner Society Director Gerald Bernhoft, or something else.  I actually sent an email to the Mariner Society earlier this year asking if Mr. Bernhoft's position had been filled.  Here's the response I received:

Thank you for your recent correspondence with Holland America Line regarding Mr. Bernhoft Retired Mariner Society Director.  The position has not been filled.However, we have an amazing team with stellar performances reviews who are happy to assist you, in any way possible.

But just so's ya know -- on EVERY cruise there is a Mariner Society representative aboard.  If you have a problem or are anticipating one, you go to Guest Services desk and request an appointment with this person.  On the cruise when I knew that I was qualifying for silver I contacted the Mariner Society rep to confirm that I was qualifying AND that I would receive it.  She said she'd check, then got back to me confirming, and I did receive it.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, AV8rix said:

But just so's ya know -- on EVERY cruise there is a Mariner Society representative aboard.  If you have a problem or are anticipating one, you go to Guest Services desk and request an appointment with this person.  On the cruise when I knew that I was qualifying for silver I contacted the Mariner Society rep to confirm that I was qualifying AND that I would receive it.  She said she'd check, then got back to me confirming, and I did receive it.

Thank you. I didn’t know this.

Like most magical things, the secret is knowing the correct syllables to use, the exact order to put them in, and the proper name of the spirit you need to call on.

• Haha 4

The unfortunate thing is asking the passenger to make the effort  to get this promised loyalty recognition. When in fact it is the cruise line who should be more than happy to recognize this passenger loyalty with no prodding.

Something got this all backwards.  But agree, lack of experienced staffing and the still reverberating "covid" disruptions means we all have to cut some slack over many things the seemed to work so effortlessly in the past.

When we got our 100-day bronze years ago, we were contacted numerous times by the Guest Services office to ensure we were coming to this special event. At the time we did not understand this was a special command ceremony. We had just seen them passed out in the MDR in the past. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Horizon chaser 1957 said:

Thank you. I didn’t know this.

Like most magical things, the secret is knowing the correct syllables to use, the exact order to put them in, and the proper name of the spirit you need to call on.

And another little tip.  At the Welcome Back reception for the 4* and 5* (and sometimes 3*) at the start of every cruise, there are always one or two officers standing at the entrance to the Crow's Nest (or wherever they are having it).  One of them is ALWAYS the Mariner Society rep.  Just ask which one it is, introduce yourself and get his/her name.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4