LAFFNVEGAS Live from the Koningsdam California Pacific Coastal 11/03/2023

LAFFNVEGAS

12 hours ago, LAFFNVEGAS said:

Good Evening from the Holland America MS Koningsdam, today was an everyday for Tom and I, we were awarded our 300 Day Silver Medallions 

the event was held in BB Kings

Congratulations Lisa & Tom 🙂 

• Like 7

Good Afternoon from Santa Barbara California. 
I spent the morning in the spa having treatments. 
I find the spa lay out and the treatment rooms not being on the same level strange. But that is my opinion. I do not think they put a lot of thought into it that they have an older crowd and the steps are not the easiest.

On another note I remember reading where people have gotten hurt running into the sliding clear motion detection doors between Lido buffet and Lido pool on the Dive in side.

i had gone into that bathroom after having a light breakfast before heading to my spa appointment. I walked in and gagged , Someone had gotten sick all over the woman bathroom.

I immediately went to leave and walked right into the door. Luckily I had my left hand out and my knuckles stopped me . Then I could not get the motion door to even open. I crew member came out the door right there. I mentioned the bathroom problem and he stood there waiving his arm to get the door to open. 
The problem with this door is there is not enough markings to show it’s a door. There are white round dots but they are up high well over 5 ft when someone is short and walking out of that bathroom they are not looking up. Needless to say I will have black and blue left hand across my knuckles. 
Sadly I don’t think this is a healthy ship. The shops are short handed because some crew are out due to medical, the MDR has been short handed the whole week.

i had not felt well but feel 99% today Tom is feeling a bit rough but not horrible but just taking it easy. 
We are planning on going to Pinnacle this evening for the last night.

Oh yes, also a first received a note from guest services that we have unspent nonrefundable ship board credit to be used 😂 That is a new one for me. But that was before my spa visit 😉

IMG_4932.jpeg

IMG_4930.jpeg

IMG_4931.jpeg

IMG_4933.jpeg

IMG_4934.jpeg

IMG_4935.jpeg

• Like 11
  • Thanks 3

@LAFFNVEGAS - Lisa, it doesn't sound like one of your better cruises, but it has served the purpose of you taking it which was to reach your 5 star(CONGRATS) plus relax.  I am sorry you and Tom are not feeling 100 percent.  Thankfully, you are close to home.  I sure hate to hear it is an unwell ship.  I can only hope things turn around by next month.  Have a lovely evening in the Pinnacle.  I look forward to hearing all about it.

Edited by FlorenceItaly
  • Like 5

18 minutes ago, FlorenceItaly said:

I can only hope things turn around by next month. 

From your lips (or keyboard😉) to G*d's ears.  Bunch of us boarding this ship for the holidays.  I'm on in two weeks, not looking forward to being on a possibly sick ship for 6 weeks.

• Like 4

Lisa, Sorry to hear that you and Tom are a little under the weather. Dianne and I both had a slight head cold that lasted 24 hours which was strange, we brought Covid test kits and both of us were negative. We both are fine today. I heard from a crew member that there were some cases onboard of an intestinal virus that might have accounted for what you saw in the women's restroom. Congratulations on making 5 star also.

For us it has been a good cruise and we both have been impressed with the CO dining room's service and food. I would put it up against the Celebrity Suites Luminae restaurant. Overall, the MDR menu and food quality, in our opinion, has been superior to what we had in our last two Celebrity cruises this past summer. Funny we overheard a conversation while in the tender this morning from a gentleman who was complaining about the food in the Lido, the other person asked how he like the MDR and he said he hadn't been there all week and might give it a try tonight. I wanted to say really the food in the MDR is so much better than the Lido. The only time we ate in the Lido was for a quick breakfast and then lunch today after we returned to the boat and I thought the food was very good.

• Like 9

1 hour ago, LAFFNVEGAS said:

Interesting to see "my home town" from your view angle taken  from the ship. I almost could not recognize the landmarks from this angle, but aha it finally made sense.  The community college, the harbor and the towers of the Arlington Theater perhaps even Mission up in the hills beyond.

IMG_4932.jpeg

IMG_4930.jpeg

IMG_4931.jpeg

IMG_4933.jpeg

IMG_4934.jpeg

IMG_4935.jpeg

• Like 4

Good Afternoon from Santa Barbara California. 
I spent the morning in the spa having treatments. 
I find the spa lay out and the treatment rooms not being on the same level strange. But that is my opinion. I do not think they put a lot of thought into it that they have an older crowd and the steps are not the easiest.

On another note I remember reading where people have gotten hurt running into the sliding clear motion detection doors between Lido buffet and Lido pool on the Dive in side.

i had gone into that bathroom after having a light breakfast before heading to my spa appointment. I walked in and gagged , Someone had gotten sick all over the woman bathroom.

I immediately went to leave and walked right into the door. Luckily I had my left hand out and my knuckles stopped me . Then I could not get the motion door to even open. I crew member came out the door right there. I mentioned the bathroom problem and he stood there waiving his arm to get the door to open. 
The problem with this door is there is not enough markings to show it’s a door. There are white round dots but they are up high well over 5 ft when someone is short and walking out of that bathroom they are not looking up. Needless to say I will have black and blue left hand across my knuckles. 
Sadly I don’t think this is a healthy ship. The shops are short handed because some crew are out due to medical, the MDR has been short handed the whole week.

i had not felt well but feel 99% today Tom is feeling a bit rough but not horrible but just taking it easy. 
We are planning on going to Pinnacle this evening for the last night.

Oh yes, also a first received a note from guest services that we have unspent nonrefundable ship board credit to be used 😂 That is a new one for me. But that was before my spa visit 😉

Oh Lisa, your poor hand.  I am so sorry you and the door had an unkind meeting 😔 

Sorrier still to hear you and Tom are not 100%.  Hope this is just temporary and you are feeling much better by the time you dine in the Pinnacle tonight 🤞 I hope it is a lovely evening for you two.

• Like 3

...Someone had gotten sick all over the woman bathroom.[/quote]

That unfortunately may be a case of norovirus.  :-(

Sorry that you both were/are not feeling well on this trip.  Thank you though for sharing this.  We will be boarding in a little over a week and we will be upping our prevention measures.

• Like 3

Luckily Tom and I don’t have noro, it’s the head cold thing for us Tom normally gets worse head colds and typically this time of year. image.thumb.jpg.93d7cc6daaa3410df73cafde21e02545.jpgI actually feel drastically better now this afternoon. Tom decided to just sleep . 
Below is a picture of my bruised knuckles, they look far more purple in person. I am sure they will be colorful tomorrow morning.

We are still waiting for our pictures from getting the medallions. I went down to the Photo area and actually spoke with the guy who took our photo, I thought maybe I had to buy them. He said no the were printed off yesterday and sent to Guest Services who in turn are to have them delivered to our stateroom. He was going to call Guest Services for me and tell them we have not received the picture.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

I'll have a glass or 2 of the house white wine.

Iceberg wedge salad

Halibut

Chocolate souffle 

Earl Grey tea

Thanks so much for your reports and pictures.

Could you please remind us when your next HAL cruuse will be?

Safe travels home.

• Like 4

Yay one of my favorite restaurants on the ship.

I'll start with the Gin and Tonic

Wedge Salad

Clothes line bacon

Ribeye medium rare with a baked potato and asparagus 

Cabernet 

And the chocolate souffle with a cappuccino 

Thanks for letting us eat dinner with you each evening 😉

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

jumbo lump crab cakes (yes, I know they're NOT as served in Baltimore)

beef tenderloin with lobster dumplings - hold the horseradish bordelaise sauce (One of these nights I'll order the pork chops - or so I always say!)

baked potato with butter, sour cream

creme brulee

half of DH's key lime pie

• Like 4

Moscato x2, Caesar salad with anchovies, clothesline candied bacon, beef tenderloin with lobster dumplings, no-so-classic baked Alaska, and coffee with Bailey’s..

Thank you for letting us join you for dinner every night. 🙂 

Edited by dobiemom
  • Like 4

Here is what we ordered….

I had the Wedge Salad, NY Steak with side of mushrooms. Keylime pie and Baileys with coffee.

Tom had the Clothes line Bacon and Shrimp Cocktail, then he had the Filet and 12 oz lobster, mashed potatoes and Chocolate Soufflé.

IMG_4964.png

IMG_4965.png

IMG_4966.png

IMG_4967.png

IMG_4968.png

IMG_4970.png

IMG_4971.png

IMG_4969.png

• Like 16
  • Thanks 2

So many good choices.

A glass of Riesling will pair nice with my starter.

I will have the scallops main for a starter and pay the extra tariff

Switch to Cab/Sav wine for the beef

For the Main it's the Beef Tenderloin with lobster dumplings with green peppercorn sauce

Baked potato, asparagus and mushrooms for sides.

I like the not so classic Cherries Jubilee.

Blueberry Tea to finish (good thing I'm not driving home 😁)

• Like 4