Need Help Understanding Celebrity's 75% off Second Guest Sale...

Georgia_Peaches

So yesterday I priced a 10 night cruise on Beyond for next November.  The category is a Prime Edge Verandah and under the promotion of second guest at 40% off, the price for 2 was $4200 with tax.  Today, under the new promotion of 75% off the second guest, I took a look at the Prime Edge Verandah once again only this time I expected it to be cheaper...because 75% off is a greater savings than 40% off.  To my surprise (and confusion) the price for the same room I looked at yesterday is now $400 more.  Can someone please help me understand this pricing structure?  I'm genuinely trying to understand.

I thought the prior "sale" was 40% off every guest, so roughly that would be the same as 80% off of one person.. Now its just 75% off the second guest, with nothing off the first.

While the math isn't exactly right, 75 < 80, so the price is a bit higher --- all else being equal. Who knows if they changed the base fare too, which makes it ever harder to follow. 

mac_tlc

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, mac_tlc said:

I thought the prior "sale" was 40% off every guest, so roughly that would be the same as 80% off of one person.. Now its just 75% off the second guest, with nothing off the first.

While the math isn't exactly right, 75 < 80, so the price is a bit higher --- all else being equal. Who knows if they changed the base fare too, which makes it ever harder to follow. 

mac_tlc

Yes, the per person price reduction is 37.5% (or 75% for the second person); so that's not as good as 40% per person.  Then, as you said, it kind of depends on what the base fare is from one day to the next.  Finally, the per person taxes and fees are not subject to any price reduction and are added in at the end after they've done their hocus-pocus fare calculations.

• Like 1

Ok, I could have sworn it was 40% off second guest but if it was every guest, then I guess the math is in line.  75% of second guest is not quite as good a deal as 40% off every guest.  Thanks for the clarification.  I knew I was missing something...thanks all!

Edited by Georgia_Peaches

5 minutes ago, scubarn1 said:

I booked a cruise yesterday on the new Xcel when the price was 40% off each guest. Today when the promo changed to 75% discount on the second guest, the price of the cruise is now $400 more. 

You got the better deal!  That's awesome!   I should have done the same on Beyond yesterday but I dragged my feet.  Win some-lose some.  😌

1 hour ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

So yesterday I priced a 10 night cruise on Beyond for next November.  The category is a Prime Edge Verandah and under the promotion of second guest at 40% off, the price for 2 was $4200 with tax.  Today, under the new promotion of 75% off the second guest, I took a look at the Prime Edge Verandah once again only this time I expected it to be cheaper...because 75% off is a greater savings than 40% off.  To my surprise (and confusion) the price for the same room I looked at yesterday is now $400 more.  Can someone please help me understand this pricing structure?  I'm genuinely trying to understand.

It is the same shell game Celebrity has played for years.    At the end of the 40% off sale the increase the base price then offer a 75% discount that usually is the same price but often like in your case may find a particular cruise either slightly higher or lower.

Hold off and you will probably see the price drop again.   Other option is to purchase when you are comfortable and keep checking and if the price drops call in and get a price match.

• Like 1

Same here.  I've been tracking the prices for a few weeks for friends that plan on joining me.  I heard "black friday deals" and clearly made the wrong assumption that the prices will be better.  Now this dumb "sale" is supposed to run through the beginning of Dec.   Lesson learned.

33 minutes ago, fmlsprtsfn said:

Same here.  I've been tracking the prices for a few weeks for friends that plan on joining me.  I heard "black friday deals" and clearly made the wrong assumption that the prices will be better.  Now this dumb "sale" is supposed to run through the beginning of Dec.   Lesson learned.

Then you will get the Christmas Sale-    I've found I get the best deals by booking whenever I find something of interest and then just check often -  When a price drops I send a screen shot to my Agent and he takes care of the rest.

I have a little trick -   I do a search and then bookmark the page where you choose the Stateroom Category.   Then instead of searching, I can just click the book mark and check quickly -  I keep a spreadsheet with what my current rate is for quick reference.

Example:   https://www.celebritycruises.com/booking-cruise/selectRoom/stateroomCategory?pID=EG12K163&sDT=2023-12-09&sCD=EG&sCT=CO&roomQuantity=1

Edited by Jim_Iain
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, adolfo2 said:

NO ONE can understand Royal/Celebrity math!

Of course people can understand 'the math'!  The tricky part is following/tracking the so-called advertised fare that will be subject to any discount(s).

Edited by d9704011
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, traderspoc22 said:

1. best to book when they give the most obc

2. the if price goes down, they will price match.

3. book as soon as possible to get best cabin

1.  How do you know when that is?

2.  Depends... if you book a promotion, good chance you'll lose any OBC if you try to get a better fare.

3.  I pretty much agree with this one.

• Like 1

Cruise pricing is just like the airlines..., it goes up and down, and changes daily.  No one can figure out the math involved.  Based on my history of cruising, most all of it is "marketing" games.  Spin it a different way with different words, but the price stays relatively the same.

That's not to say that good deals can't be found.. they can.  But you have to be diligent in your searching, and knowledgeable in how they spin things.

Edited by Barsnikel
  • Like 1

I think there are many good suggestions here.   Personally I book when I find a Cruise I want with the cabin I want.    I then check on almost a daily basis.   

I keep a spreadsheet with everything broken down -    Price, Perks and OBC  -    I then create a shortcut for each cruise to the page where you select cabin Category.    I have had many cruises that I booked two years out are far below the price closer to sailing and have found others that I have had 3-4 price matches. 

• Like 2

On 11/10/2023 at 6:44 PM, Georgia_Peaches said:

scam...bait and switch

8 hours ago, Lovincruisin1321 said:

scam...bait and switch

No, I don’t think so. I just misunderstood the previous 40% off promotion. I didn’t realize it was on every guest. I thought it was only for the second guest. 40% off both guests is better that 75% off one guest. The mystery is what is the base price that the % off is being applied to?  I’m not sure where that base price is listed. 

• Like 1

Just now, Georgia_Peaches said:

No, I don’t think so. I just misunderstood the previous 40% off promotion. I didn’t realize it was on every guest. I thought it was only for the second guest. 40% off both guests is better that 75% off one guest. The mystery is what is the base price that the % off is being applied to?  I’m not sure where that base price is listed. 

I just had this discussion with my agent yesterday.  Thankfully, he put a courtesy hold prior to the Black Friday 75% off.  He called Celebrity and found out they raided the base price and then applied the 75% off 2nd guest.  I am saving  $300 staying with Courtesy Hold price.  I just paid down payment.

• Like 1