LIVE with Georgia Peaches on the Brand NEW Ascent...B2B November 22-29 Pre-Pre-Maiden Voyage!

Georgia_Peaches

I enjoy looking around in the shops. Rarely, if ever do we buy anything. I especially like to look in the boutique to discover what my clothing options might have been if my luggage somehow didn’t make it on board ship. The shops are lovely and super high end and super impractical for my day to day. But we still looked!  And looking took us into the Effy store with spectacular pieces of jewelry. As DH and I strolled around the store we overheard a sales meeting occurring in the watch shop next door. The gist of the meeting was “up sell” and I should have known then…

DH suggested we look for a piece we could give our daughter for her 30th birthday coming up in a few days. Ok, I think, that idea has merit. A sales associate showed us a few pieces before we settled on a very nice necklace made of small diamonds…let me try that again….very small diamonds, made to look bigger, in the shape of an open circle. A very pretty piece. 

Our sales associate sought her manager who was the only one authorized to give us “the very best Black Friday deal”. In the meantime she asked me if I wanted to look at anything else. I asked to see the earrings that matched the necklace….my mistake. I handed them back to the associate thanking her and she insisted that we get the manager to give us a “bundle deal”. “No, thank you.  Just the necklace.” I say. But she brought them over to a table where we sat in eager anticipation of the manager’s super secret “best Black Friday price”. 

When the manager returned, he tapped on a calculator and presented us with a number. It was for the earrings and necklace. I told him we only wanted the necklace. “Why not both?  Price too much?” he asks. Now I’m getting annoyed.  I remained firm with the necklace only but he remained firm with a bundle. Citing:

-it’s an investment

-maybe a better price could be arranged (why can’t I just know your best price from the beginning?)

-jewelry sets have higher value (what?)

Anyway, I reached my limit on how much hard sell I was willing to endure. I told him he was too pushy, and turned to DH and said I was leaving. Got up, walked out, won’t return. I was fuming!  Never have I experienced that kind of pressure to buy something. 

I realize that the shops only rent space from the cruise line so this isn’t a Celebrity issue. Just putting this out there..the pressure is real, at least in Effy, so buyer beware. 

• Like 13
  • Thanks 6

9 hours ago, hcat said:

i was looking for where in Coz?  near the pier or further into town ?

Google works great for stuff like this.,

The folks in the jewelry stores, let it roll right of you..look at what you want..they can’t force you to do anything you don’t want too..

Edited by PTC DAWG
  • Thanks 2

A little story about the cruise pier jewelry shops.  My MIL was with us in Coz and we were at one of the cheaper upstairs shops and she just loved what they told her was a real sapphire.  I warned her it wasn't, sapphires that big are rare and EXPENSIVE and they wanted $400 for this ring.  I walked out of the shop and looked for it at some others, there it was...went back in and warned her again not to buy that all the other shops had this ring (NOT a genuine sapphire obviously).  She argued that she just loved it and bought it.  Months later she had it checked at the jewelers and sure enough, simulated.  That ring wasn't worth $100 much less 4.  So be careful with shops at the pier. 

Edited by BecciBoo
  • Like 3

21 hours ago, Cruise Gopher said:

IMG_5096.jpeg

I would call that Rust or as we say in Texas Longhorn Orange!  LOL  tomato tomahto  I can deal with that just not bright orange or yellow.  I wouldn't complain in either case just throw them under the bed.

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, BecciBoo said:

A little story about the cruise pier jewelry shops.  My MIL was with us in Coz and we were at one of the cheaper upstairs shops and she just loved what they told her was a real sapphire.  I warned her it wasn't, sapphires that big are rare and EXPENSIVE and they wanted $400 for this ring.  I walked out of the shop and looked for it at some others, there it was...went back in and warned her again not to buy that all the other shops had this ring (NOT a genuine sapphire obviously).  She argued that she just loved it and bought it.  Months later she had it checked at the jewelers and sure enough, simulated.  That ring wasn't worth $100 much less 4.  So be careful with shops at the pier. 

Agreed..that said, for the most part, you can trust Diamonds International. 

• Like 1

I used to work at the Home Office for several brands of Mall and stand-alone jewelry stores.  The whole experience has sworn me off of buying most jewelry from chains stores.  Fun fact, did you know that the majority of jewelry stores in the U.S. are actually owned by the same company?

I can tell you that jewelry mark-up is insane (think 90% or more in some cases!).  That bracelet you paid $400 for might only have a 'cost' of $20 or less.  And the sales team is paid very little but risks losing their jobs if they don't hit sales quotas that are always considered a "reach".  This is why jewelry sales feel so "used car-like" with a lot of pressure too make the sale, and trying to get the real price feels like a big game). 

I don't know how Effy is structured, but my suspicion is that they operate very similarly.  If you look around the cruise ports you'll find there are also more chains then you realize, as well.  

My advice is that if you must buy jewelry, buy it from an independent (non-chain) shop - and ideally one in your own community - so at least the majority of the profit stays local.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Best  jewelry shop in Mexico is Alberto;s Their original store is in PV but have a store in Cozumel  on the  street down from the ferry pier. Also one in Zihuatengo MX. I have  bought some  unique rings from them.   

Edited by Azulann
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Salt Lifer said:

I used to work at the Home Office for several brands of Mall and stand-alone jewelry stores.  The whole experience has sworn me off of buying most jewelry from chains stores.  Fun fact, did you know that the majority of jewelry stores in the U.S. are actually owned by the same company?

I can tell you that jewelry mark-up is insane (think 90% or more in some cases!).  That bracelet you paid $400 for might only have a 'cost' of $20 or less.  And the sales team is paid very little but risks losing their jobs if they don't hit sales quotas that are always considered a "reach".  This is why jewelry sales feel so "used car-like" with a lot of pressure too make the sale, and trying to get the real price feels like a big game). 

I don't know how Effy is structured, but my suspicion is that they operate very similarly.  If you look around the cruise ports you'll find there are also more chains then you realize, as well.  

My advice is that if you must buy jewelry, buy it from an independent (non-chain) shop - and ideally one in your own community - so at least the majority of the profit stays local.

On jewelry, My Dad always used to say when asked What do you think that is worth?  What you're willing to pay.

27 minutes ago, Salt Lifer said:

I can tell you that jewelry mark-up is insane (think 90% or more in some cases!).

When I was in the jewelry business in SF in the early 80's, I worked in an upscale jewelry store in the Cannery. The markup was routinely at least 150%. I sold a star sapphire ring (it was indeed beautiful-and real-  and we did all our custom designs) for $10k. It cost the company a tad over $4k.

I was glad to find another line of work. But it did teach this (then) young man the way of the world... 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, lola2013 said:

Sounds like the guy sold used cars in another life!

Hmmm.  

I wonder if I should be buying my used cars in "bundles" because a set is "an investment."  

By-the-way @Georgia_Peaches I am loving the play-by-play on board experiences you are sharing.

Effy is everywhere at deeply discounted prices including our local Off 5th store.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

When the manager returned, he tapped on a calculator and presented us with a number. It was for the earrings and necklace. I told him we only wanted the necklace. “Why not both?  Price too much?” he asks. Now I’m getting annoyed.  I remained firm with the necklace only but he remained firm with a bundle. Citing:

-it’s an investment

Google "Have you ever tried to sell a diamond". If you buy from a cruise line recommend store and show your cruise ship card for a discount be advised that purchases over a certain amount are reported to US customs.

People are funny. Does anyone go hungry on a cruise?  I think not. But when the Captain announced that there would be a special lunch in the buffet today, you’d have thought they had been depriving us all week. The OVC was mobbed with hungry passengers. It was pandemonium at the shrimp station and don’t even get me started on the cold lobster station!  In a word, it was simply the BEST lunch buffet we’ve ever seen. I didn’t get many pics due to the vast amount of people but it was special. 
on offer was peal and eat shrimp, crab claws, lobster, crawfish, fried calamari, lobster salad, crab salad, roasted prime rib, duck, rack of lamb, roasted turkey and a whole host of sweet treats!  The best part was when the entire kitchen staff paraded through the dining room to receive a round of applause for a job well done on the first sailing of the beautiful Ascent! 

IMG_6267.jpeg

IMG_6268.jpeg

IMG_6269.jpeg

IMG_6270.jpeg

• Like 23

3 hours ago, Texed said:

There is room on our January cruises.  Come join us.  😁

I'd love to, but have one in March and ICON in September, no dough, if you get my jist.   You're killin me!

image.thumb.png.52edc0c196249fb284768fb7d04eda59.png

Edited by BecciBoo