Anyone in a Sky Suite thinking to go down a level?

zitsky

1 hour ago, mac_tlc said:

Meet you on the Vista !! We also have a PH2 booked on the Fall 2025 TA -- one of the ones on deck 7 with the extended balcony., maybe we are neighbors!!!

Our upcoming SS's on Celebrity were booked before prices went nuts. Ascent in January is about $365pppd, Beyond in February is $385pppd. Also include Grats and OBC ($600 on Ascent and $1100 on Beyond). 

We did get a good price on Xcel for Jan 2026 at about $385pppd, no OBC but that price includes grats. 

At those prices, we won't downgrade -- it would probably be the same or more money given current pricing.

Absent deals like that, we wont do Suites on X. We have two O cruises and one HAL booked instead. 

I have a C2 accessible booked on the 13-night 2024 Silhouette TA for $1818.  Added 10 nights of specialties for ~$350 more including tips (OVC for the other 3 nights).  Cheap enough and Silhouette provides three good gluten-free specialty options (Tuscan, Murano, and Lawn Club) for dinner.  An accessible, which I now need, is SS-sized cabin with a grab rail shower with seat and a curtain.  Shower is pretty messy but I make do.  I never use a sundeck and as zenith have access to the Retreat so essentially no need for a suite at all.  Pretty good deal for under $2200 for 13 nights.  I also have 2024 Vista TA booked for same time at a decent price but obviously considerably more than Silhouette.  For the difference, I could book two or three additional cruises.  Then again, after my most recent TA on the Constellation, I'm not sure I want to book anything else on X for awhile.  We'll see.  For 2025, it'll be a PH2 on Oceania (I'm on starboard).  

Edited by goofysmom99
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, zitsky said:

I did a move up bid from Aqua to SS on Beyond.  Butler was clearly stated as a benefit.  

Then we made a deposit on a SS on Millie before the butler changes were announced.  You bet I expect to get what I was promised and what I paid for.  Why shouldn’t I?

Yes I will make my own decision about any change.  Husband likes Luminae and the Retreat deck.  I do too.

I am not used to paying for something like butler service only for it to be taken away.  We chose NRD on this SS cruise because X was very good to us during Covid.  And when we needed to shift a cruise we did it without penalty.  But this butler change is not good.

We may keep our SS but we’ll go down to Aqua or book other cruise lines in the future.  We are not big cruisers so I’m sure that X won’t miss us.

I get all that. What's the butler worth to you? In dollars? Beyond the emotion? When the butler was fully in place, I'd guess we valued them at no more than $10 a day, for the cabin, not per person. We've had mixed results in our three SS cruises, with only one where the butler/retreat host really exceeded expectations. Again, if you were really planning to use them a lot (what does that mean to you?), then I kind of get it. But our Equinox cruise last week was not radically different than our previous Equinox cruises in a SS. I can't assign the service differences to the butler differences (other than room service breakfast, which was different, but the end result was the same). I viewed the butler change as less than ideal, but not a reason on its own that I wouldn't book the Retreat. The crazy stupid prices going forward are a different issue, but the value of the butler wouldn't even cross my threshold for that.

We're all different. Hope you enjoy your cruise.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, goofysmom99 said:

I have a C2 accessible booked on the 13-night 2024 Silhouette TA for $1818.  Added 10 nights of specialties for ~$350 more including tips (OVC for the other 3 nights).  Cheap enough and Silhouette provides three good gluten-free specialty options (Tuscan, Murano, and Lawn Club) for dinner.  An accessible, which I now need, is SS-sized cabin with a grab rail shower with seat and a curtain.  Shower is pretty messy but I make do.  I never use a sundeck and as zenith have access to the Retreat so essentially no need for a suite at all.  Pretty good deal for under $2200 for 13 nights.  I also have 2024 Vista TA booked for same time at a decent price but obviously considerably more than Silhouette.  For the difference, I could book one or two additional cruises.  Then again, after my most recent TA on the Constellation, I'm not sure I want to book anything else on X for awhile.  We'll see.  For 2025, it'll be the PH on Oceania (I'm on starboard).  

We also have the 2024 Westbound TA on Vista booked, one more day than the 2025 version but the price is not as good—- but still less than a comparable X suite option. We have a PH1 now but I am considering downgrading to an A1 to save a few $$$$. But we really like the larger cabin especially for 15 days.

mac_tlc

3 hours ago, SusieAV8R said:

I definitely agree, DaKahuna, that the seating was far more comfortable in Michael's Club than it is in the Retreat Lounge!

Thank you.  

BTW - did you ever send me an email after asking for my email address? 

• Like 1

Well, a butler would not be worth much on some cruise lines, where the stewards have fewer rooms to service, and duties include restocking  the included mini fridge and much else. The problem here is that X has cut staff so badly that one needs a butler for any services above room cleaning. So sad!

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Dolebludger said:

Well, a butler would not be worth much on some cruise lines, where the stewards have fewer rooms to service, and duties include restocking  the included mini fridge and much else. The problem here is that X has cut staff so badly that one needs a butler for any services above room cleaning. So sad!

Such as? What are you looking for from the butler? I'm seriously curious. We've found it much simpler to schedule specialty dining with the Luminae maître d' and most other services with the Retreat concierge when we stopped by for a drink. The only thing I really noticed as a change was the butler/retreat host no longer delivers room service breakfast.

Again, the minifridge has never been included in any of my SS cruises. In one, the butler made a point of replenishing the water and soda even though it wasn't officially included. The other two it was clear they were not included, going back to 2018. On our most recent SS cruise, a week ago, we had large bottles of Evian constantly replenished in the cabin. But on all three SS cruises the official policy was that the minibar was NOT included. This isn't a change.

• Like 3

Well, at the fare for SS now, one can take a cruise on a different line where the mini fridge contents are included — and the  selected bottle of spirits. All replenished at request to the steward, who is not overworked and only responsible for cleaning the room.  And ion the other line, you get a credit, and included shore excursions. So a butler isn’t needed. SS suites on X are a rip-off in my opinion. They are worth something, but not the present price. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, markeb said:

I get all that. What's the butler worth to you? In dollars? Beyond the emotion? When the butler was fully in place, I'd guess we valued them at no more than $10 a day, for the cabin, not per person. We've had mixed results in our three SS cruises, with only one where the butler/retreat host really exceeded expectations. Again, if you were really planning to use them a lot (what does that mean to you?), then I kind of get it. But our Equinox cruise last week was not radically different than our previous Equinox cruises in a SS. I can't assign the service differences to the butler differences (other than room service breakfast, which was different, but the end result was the same). I viewed the butler change as less than ideal, but not a reason on its own that I wouldn't book the Retreat. The crazy stupid prices going forward are a different issue, but the value of the butler wouldn't even cross my threshold for that.

We're all different. Hope you enjoy your cruise.

I can’t answer your question.  I don’t assign a dollar value to everything on a cruise.  What is the dollar value of getting something you paid for?  This is a contract dispute.  X says they can change anything at any time.

59 minutes ago, zitsky said:

I can’t answer your question.  I don’t assign a dollar value to everything on a cruise.  What is the dollar value of getting something you paid for?  This is a contract dispute.  X says they can change anything at any time.

Yes, X's contact says that so it can't be a contract dispute. 

We are in the same boat as you though.  We booked a cruse for May 2024 in May of 2023.  A Butler was part of the promised services and we know we will not receive that.  

However, my issue is that current reports are that the services that came with the Butler are not being provided.  We did not ask for much but placing an order one for shrimp cocktail and a cheese plate instead of what ever the normal canapes were and receiving it every day and coffee with Bailey's delivered at a specific time each morning,  I am mentally prepared to have not receive this level of service when we sail but that does not mean we will be happy with it and my plan is to make sure management hears of my displeasure. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, SusieAV8R said:

I definitely agree, DaKahuna, that the seating was far more comfortable in Michael's Club than it is in the Retreat Lounge!

I think it is by design to prevent passengers from hanging out.

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

• Like 2

9 hours ago, markeb said:

Such as? What are you looking for from the butler? I'm seriously curious.

This wasn't directed at me, but I'd like to answer anyway. I made sure to order room service every morning, even if it was just coffee, so that I could start the day with a cordial and brief conversation with the butler. They would always ask what my plans were for the day and we went on from there. Oftentimes, the butler would suggest food items he can leave in the cabin or fridge for when we got back in the afternoon. Or sometimes they'd make suggestions of what to order at the specialty restaurant we're dining at that night. And sometimes I would just tell the butler that I wouldn't need anything from him at all that day. 

Regardless, the day always started with a dialogue, building a relationship, getting to know one another, and giving the butler a chance to be proactive and make suggestions. These conversations were quick, a minute or two at the most, but were very helpful to both parties.

That's all gone now.

• Like 5

19 minutes ago, DaKahuna said:

Yes, X's contact says that so it can't be a contract dispute. 

We are in the same boat as you though.  We booked a cruse for May 2024 in May of 2023.  A Butler was part of the promised services and we know we will not receive that.  

However, my issue is that current reports are that the services that came with the Butler are not being provided.  We did not ask for much but placing an order one for shrimp cocktail and a cheese plate instead of what ever the normal canapes were and receiving it every day and coffee with Bailey's delivered at a specific time each morning,  I am mentally prepared to have not receive this level of service when we sail but that does not mean we will be happy with it and my plan is to make sure management hears of my displeasure. 

None of the butler stories I see here start with “So then I called the hotel director….”  Are people giving feedback on board about the reduced service in SS?  Now normally I’m not going to call the HD when my room service breakfast is cold but what else am I expected to do when I don’t get the service I paid for?

3 minutes ago, zitsky said:

None of the butler stories I see here start with “So then I called the hotel director….”  Are people giving feedback on board about the reduced service in SS?  Now normally I’m not going to call the HD when my room service breakfast is cold but what else am I expected to do when I don’t get the service I paid for?

In the past we have received a QR code to provide feedback on how the cruise was going. I have had good response using that form to provide feedback.  As I said, once I am on board I will see how my normal request are or are  not handled and provide feedback accordingly. 

Celebrity has effectively lost us as a Retreat customers and possibly lost us as a customers altogether.  Removing the OBC and pre-paid gratuities while not reducing the price of the Retreat bookings were the "straw that broke the camels back" for us.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, RichYak said:

This wasn't directed at me, but I'd like to answer anyway. I made sure to order room service every morning, even if it was just coffee, so that I could start the day with a cordial and brief conversation with the butler. They would always ask what my plans were for the day and we went on from there. Oftentimes, the butler would suggest food items he can leave in the cabin or fridge for when we got back in the afternoon. Or sometimes they'd make suggestions of what to order at the specialty restaurant we're dining at that night. And sometimes I would just tell the butler that I wouldn't need anything from him at all that day. 

Regardless, the day always started with a dialogue, building a relationship, getting to know one another, and giving the butler a chance to be proactive and make suggestions. These conversations were quick, a minute or two at the most, but were very helpful to both parties.

That's all gone now.

I won't say it's all gone, but it's definitely different. Oddly enough, we probably saw our Retreat Host more last week than when we had a true "butler" but it was because he was out and about cleaning rooms. That wasn't a butler role before. But he did always say hello, ask about our day, and ask if we needed anything. But in a different setting.

But yeah, we had room service breakfast twice and it was a different room service person both times. Not the butler like before.

1 hour ago, zitsky said:

I'm sure people are giving feedback when they feel reduced service. I put it on my post cruise survey. But honestly, for us, not necessarily for anyone else, we got the service we expected. Our breakfast was NOT cold. He did chill the (admittedly horrible) sparkling wine when we asked. We didn't have issues that needed resolved. For us, and again, not necessarily the same for others, the service differences we saw were things that were offered in the past (afternoon cheese plate and dropping off additional bottled water and diet coke) and HOW the service was provided. We felt we got what we paid for. Maybe we're just not picky enough...

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, markeb said:

I won't say it's all gone, but it's definitely different.

Different for sure. All butler duties have been outsourced; many to the stateroom attendant and room service as you've indicated, but also to the guests themselves.

And with all due respect to the stateroom attendants who work so hard, new business cards that say "Personal Retreat Host" doesn't make them butlers. They still work for Housekeeping, not The Retreat.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DaKahuna said:

In the past we have received a QR code to provide feedback on how the cruise was going. I have had good response using that form to provide feedback.  As I said, once I am on board I will see how my normal request are or are  not handled and provide feedback accordingly. 

Celebrity has effectively lost us as a Retreat customers and possibly lost us as a customers altogether.  Removing the OBC and pre-paid gratuities while not reducing the price of the Retreat bookings were the "straw that broke the camels back" for us.  

we have only cruised twice with Celebrity, both times in a verandah stateroom..2 years ago we booked a Sunset Sky Suite on Edge around Australia for next year for my 60th birthday..

we are very disappointed that Celebrity brought these changes in after we had booked and have still not officially informed us of it.

whilst many don’t seem to be bothered by the changes, for us it’s not what we booked and paid for and as such instead of booking The Retreat for a cruise for our Silver Wedding Anniversary in 2025 we have booked Queens Grills on QM2 and I doubt we will book any further cruises with Celebrity..

• Like 2

And why the heck do Ss's have to pay the same daily gratuity as the higher suites who DO have butler service?  No more SS's for us after our b2b in Jan.-Feb. We will miss it, especially the larger cabin, but with premium drinks and wifi, I'm sure we will still have a fun cruise in our infinite veranda on Beyond. After that, back to S class in a regular veranda cabin with the premium amenities. I think we are done for good with suites because of the ridiculous prices. 

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

You may call it childish but I plan to be “that guy”.  I work in what I still consider customer service at 57.  So I really do try to be nice to people that help me.  But I don’t like how X has managed this.  So I plan to pester them when they don’t deliver what is promised.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, zitsky said:

You may call it childish but I plan to be “that guy”.  I work in what I still consider customer service at 57.  So I really do try to be nice to people that help me.  But I don’t like how X has managed this.  So I plan to pester them when they don’t deliver what is promised.

Yikes.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, zitsky said:

So you don’t know how to be firm but polite, I suppose?  You only know how to scream and shout?

I don't believe that those who know me would say that I scream and shout.

I tend to evaluate what I see for what it is, then choose based upon current offerings. I may revise my election if changes occur.

It is so much in our world that isn't the "good old" way it used to be.

By all accounts, the Celebrity of yore has sailed. It's a tired yarn, all the threads about Celebrity having changed and people intending to board the ship then demand something that has been well documented to no longer be available.

I suspect even the staff are exhausted from the ire they no doubt must endure. After all, they didn't dream up the changes.

I'd either buy a real suite that still has what I want (which I do), accept that Celebrity has changed (I go for the new ships and really cool staterooms, so no issues there), or try another line. Plenty to choose from, and some of the other cruise line forums seem much more pleasant than Celebrity's.

Just me, but I'd simply revise rather than boil in anger at changes then board a ship and try to whip staff into shape to meet service expectations that no longer exist.

Life's too short.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, zitsky said:

I don’t think it’s childish at all. The “Retreat Team” concept is clearly hogwash. If you get substandard service, let the Hotel Director know. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, buncosquad said:

I don't believe that those who know me would say that I scream and shout.

I tend to evaluate what I see for what it is, then choose based upon current offerings. I may revise my election if changes occur.

It is so much in our world that isn't the "good old" way it used to be.

By all accounts, the Celebrity of yore has sailed. It's a tired yarn, all the threads about Celebrity having changed and people intending to board the ship then demand something that has been well documented to no longer be available.

I suspect even the staff are exhausted from the ire they no doubt must endure. After all, they didn't dream up the changes.

I'd either buy a real suite that still has what I want (which I do), accept that Celebrity has changed (I go for the new ships and really cool staterooms, so no issues there), or try another line. Plenty to choose from, and some of the other cruise line forums seem much more pleasant than Celebrity's.

Just me, but I'd simply revise rather than boil in anger at changes then board a ship and try to whip staff into shape to meet service expectations that no longer exist.

Life's too short.

I DID buy a real suite.

Do you enjoy paying for your meal at McDonald’s when you’re told “Psych!  You’re not really getting that hamburger”.

Oh, do you expect to get what you ALREADY paid for?  My bad.  🙄