Anyone in a Sky Suite thinking to go down a level?

zitsky

2 minutes ago, zitsky said:

We have a Sky Suite booked but I’m thinking to take us down to Aqua if we can keep our deposit.  Anyone else thinking of this?  Aqua is almost 50% of the SS price.

(Butler changes)

That’s what we decided to do a while back. In fact, we’ve now dropped all the way down to an Edge class SV where we’ll have 4 different MDRs to choose from. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I've mostly been in either SS or AQ on Celebrity (but also in regular Verandah, Ocean View, and a Royal Suite)...

IMHO, on S and M class ships, AQ is the sweet spot, because Blu is a large step up in quality over MDR (which isn't bad itself) ... and while Luminae does have somewhat fancier ingredients and somewhat better service ... Both are really quite adequate.

On my last cruise in SS, I found myself eating at Blu half the time anyway, since I preferred the menu.

As far as the Butler service... Really, I'm not that fussy, and I didn't get too much use out of the Butler service even when I was in a Royal Suite.

• Like 2

on E Class ships, either AQ Class with BLU or the SV  with 4 mdrs are fine.

We have one of each booked. On S and M clsss ships, AQ is best choice...or Concierge ( mdr)

we won't miss the Retreat areas, but will.miss the larger suite cabin with a balcony and early boarding and departure.

we werent crazy about Retreat Class..it could use upgrades so for us it's an easy choice.

would u lose $ by switching,?

We downgraded our transatlantic on the Ascent next year from a SS to a Concierge room. Will miss the extra space. With the current price points and reduction in service, we no longer see the value in booking into the retreat

Cheers

• Like 1

We downgraded from a SS to a SV on the Edge 4/2024 TP.  The cruise only SV fare was was 20% of the SS price adding a drink package during the sale would make the total 31% of the SS.  For us it was a no brainer to downgrade.

• Like 5

9 hours ago, zitsky said:

I’m thinking to take us down to Aqua if we can keep our deposit.  Anyone else thinking of this?  Aqua is almost 50% of the SS price.

If this is on M-class and if there is no penalty involved, I would consider doing this.  I like the Blu dining room on M-class although it can be very crowded and busy.  We liked the row of tables all the way to far rear wall of the restaurant.  Surprisingly this table location felt less like a runway of wait traffic passing by.  I think the wall may have absorbed some of the noise also.

After our next sailing the rest of our bookings are in DV or SV.  Aqua was still too much of a $$$$ step up from the regular verandahs to justify the price difference.  Using the savings to do a specialty or two.  As Ken said, the four main dining rooms on E-class should provide plenty of options.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, zitsky said:

We have a Sky Suite booked but I’m thinking to take us down to Aqua if we can keep our deposit.  Anyone else thinking of this?  Aqua is almost 50% of the SS price.

(Butler changes)

I think your question is well asked and totally see your point on butler changes.

I think many higher suite guests on S and M class are doing some calculations too. Many of these ships haven’t been refreshed for years. If you book a higher suite you shouldn’t be worrying if your room will look shabby or need maintenance and I must confess I have some concerns about my Infinity cruise. 

Booking a suite experience on Celebrity has always offered…

A superior room experience 

More personalised service

A better dining experience 

Cutting corners on not maintaining ships diminishes the room experience, reducing/cancelling butler service for SS guests reduces significantly the personalised service which leaves Luminae…I guess it depends on what value you add to Luminae vs a speciality dining package….

• Like 4

43 minutes ago, jelayne said:

We downgraded from a SS to a SV on the Edge 4/2024 TP.  The cruise only SV fare was was 20% of the SS price adding a drink package during the sale would make the total 31% of the SS.  For us it was a no brainer to downgrade.

That really is a massive difference….To look at it another way it is three cruises for the price of one!

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, zitsky said:

We have a NRD and I’ve asked the TA to find out if we would lose the deposit.  She already said we would lose all our perks.  Tips, drinks, WiFi.

How about OBC if any?  You should lose that too. 

Our first 2 post covid cruises were in SS.  (these are S class sailings)
We quickly found we did not care for Luminae and didn't use the Retreat lounge and the Retreat sundeck was actually more busy than the pool deck (all suites were 100% sold - the rest of the ship about 20%).   
Our last 2 cruises we've found our SV + Prem Drink Package + 6 night (out of 10) specialty dining was still much less than SS.  We like the vibe at Craft Social + Martini bar vs Retreat.  And the pool deck works for us vs Retreat sundeck.  The Cabin size of SS is the ony thing we really miss and we make do with the SV.  And now with XPass you can get those other little perks too if you want.
We may try the Suite Life again down the road, but for now we'll be in an SV.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, zitsky said:

We have a NRD and I’ve asked the TA to find out if we would lose the deposit.  She already said we would lose all our perks.  Tips, drinks, WiFi.

Correct it would be like a new booking at prevailing rates/promos.  Other than that you should retain your deposit and not be charged any type of change fees if you keep the same ship/sail date.

We are finding it's not just the reduction of butler service but staff reductions ship wide are causing a reduction of service levels everywhere.  The staff is trying their hardest to serve but the shortage of staff and lack of training are evident everywhere.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, someguyfl said:

I've mostly been in either SS or AQ on Celebrity (but also in regular Verandah, Ocean View, and a Royal Suite)...

IMHO, on S and M class ships, AQ is the sweet spot, because Blu is a large step up in quality over MDR (which isn't bad itself) ... and while Luminae does have somewhat fancier ingredients and somewhat better service ... Both are really quite adequate.

On my last cruise in SS, I found myself eating at Blu half the time anyway, since I preferred the menu.

As far as the Butler service... Really, I'm not that fussy, and I didn't get too much use out of the Butler service even when I was in a Royal Suite.

The other thing Luminae has that Blu doesn’t is lunch on sea days. On a cruise with a lot of sea days that’s a big difference for me.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, RichYak said:

How about OBC if any?  You should lose that too. 

Rich it’s bad enough that I’m losing the person who keeps the autograph seekers away.  But you have to remind me of the OBC I would lose too?   😭

Edited by zitsky

30 minutes ago, Mark_K said:

The other thing Luminae has that Blu doesn’t is lunch on sea days. On a cruise with a lot of sea days that’s a big difference for me.

MDR has a sit down lunch on sea days as well...

But yes, I've had the Luminae lunch, and it was great. If the MDR lunch isn't up to your standards, you can always do Murano for lunch even from an Inside cabin, and still save a fortune compared to suites.

• Like 2

I am not downgrading any current reservations but definitely can't afford suites going forward anymore! Will book AQ and maybe consider move up bids if reasonable.  Won't sail E class without a regular balcony so will only book if we can get one of the few nonsuite cabins with balconies or if the suite prices tumble (not holding my breath on that!) Suite prices are already outrageous and with the cuts in service and perks like obc and gratuities I just can't justify it anymore.  But it won't change until bookings drop. Sigh......

• Like 8

25 minutes ago, zitsky said:

Rich it’s bad enough that I’m losing the person who keeps the autograph seekers away.  But you have to remind me of the OBC I would lose too?   😭

Sorry, you didn't mention it above. I just wanted to make sure you were considering all factors.

I'm with you though. My last SS experience was in August on Summit, the last sailing before the loss of the butler. Even then, it felt like it was on the decline. I went over specialty dining reservations with the butler and he just passed them on to the concierges. Room Service breakfast (delivered by the butler) was cold. Service in Luminae was meh. Retreat bartender was on his first sailing on any cruise ship ever, though he got better as the cruise went on. The Retreat concierges were as good as ever, but how much is that really worth?

Have the fares come down factoring in the loss of OBC? I haven't seen it. Have the gratuities come down factoring in the loss of butlers? Nope, instead Celebrity gaslights passengers with this "Retreat Team" nonsense.

Good luck with whatever choice you make.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

We are doing SKY1 for first 13 days in April but gonna step down to C1 on pool deck for the next 7 days.   Crazy they wanted $1500 PER DAY  for the next 7 days in Sky suite.  Will just hang out at the pool doing the B2B for less than $500 per day.  Lots of other ways to spend the money. 

Answer yes you will loose money if you downgrade after non-refundable. Plus all perks   

22 minutes ago, phoenix_dream said:

I am not downgrading any current reservations but definitely can't afford suites going forward anymore! Will book AQ and maybe consider move up bids if reasonable.  Won't sail E class without a regular balcony so will only book if we can get one of the few nonsuite cabins with balconies or if the suite prices tumble (not holding my breath on that!) Suite prices are already outrageous and with the cuts in service and perks like obc and gratuities I just can't justify it anymore.  But it won't change until bookings drop. Sigh......

I agree completely re: the E class.

I don't need to try the IV to know that I would hate it. I live in Florida and *NEVER* open windows because I don't want humidity indoors. If I open the door to a balcony (in Florida, or in any Hot/Humid environment), I open it, go outside, and then close it behind me. 

On my one trip on Edge, I booked a Porthole Verandah, and won a bid to a Sky Suite. It's a shame that it seems even on the newest Edge-class ships that Celebrity hasn't incorporated anything for the negative feedback on IV.

• Like 1

After our AqSS on Ascent in Feb, we’ve booked  O ( 10 day was cheaper in PH with a butler than Retreat) and then NCL, for 2024 and 2025.

Our plan on any future X cruises is to book Aqua ( for Blu) and specialty dining a few times. 

No brand loyalty anymore and we used to love X. 

• Like 3

We did an onboard booking last year for a 10-day cruise in a Sky Suite on Equinox in January 2024 at a refundable rate.  I knew when I booked it that I would not keep this cruise/cabin as the price was so high.  At the time of booking, all perks included were premium beverage and wifi, tips and a lot of OBC.  I was hoping that suite prices would come down, but they did not, so I moved this booking to a non-refundable fare in a deluxe veranda, April 2024 on Silhouette.  As expected, my OBC was reduced significantly, but my invoice from my TA is still showing premium beverage, tips and wifi.  Is this correct?  I thought my premium beverage and wifi would drop to classic.  I'm getting conflicting answers from Celebrity and I don't have full confidence in the big box TA.  

• Like 1