Disembarkation time

tmal2

Is it possible to take our own bags off the ship to potentially speed up the disembarkation/customs process?

We will be taking a bus home after our cruise and I have the option of a 10:30 or a 1 PM bus. 

I'd love to make the earlier bus if possible but I'm just not sure when we'll be getting off the ship and how long it will take to clear customs. I was thinking that if we took our bags ourselves it may be a little quicker.

This will be at the port in New York if that matters.

Thanks in advance for any input.

Edited by tmal2
Update

3 minutes ago, tmal2 said:

Is it possible to take our own bags off the ship to potentially speed up the disembarkation/customs process?

We will be taking a bus home after our cruise and I have the option of a 10:30 or a 1 PM bus. 

I'd love to make the earlier bus if possible but I'm just not sure when we'll be getting off the ship and how long it will take to clear customs. I was thinking that if we took our bags ourselves it may be a little quicker.

Yes…you can do self disembarkation.  Just don’t put your luggage out the night before and take them with you when you leave your cabin to disembark per the CD’s announcements.

Yes, you can take your own luggage off ship.  However, depending on which ship you are sailing, it could be a long slow process.  Lots of passengers could be doing the same thing, then the line moves very slowly.

I would book the 1 P. M. just in case something goes wrong, like the ship docking late and the disembarking process is slowed for some reason.

5 minutes ago, www3traveler said:

Yes, you can take your own luggage off ship.  However, depending on which ship you are sailing, it could be a long slow process.  Lots of passengers could be doing the same thing, then the line moves very slowly.

I would book the 1 P. M. just in case something goes wrong, like the ship docking late and the disembarking process is slowed for some reason.

The ship will be Getaway in February. I guess we'll either have to wait in that line or wait in line at customs for our bags. Either way there will be a wait.

I did book the later bus but can change it if we can make it to the station early enough.

I was just trying to figure out which way would get me to the busy station faster but I guess there is no definitive answer.

Thanks for the input.

6 minutes ago, tmal2 said:

The ship will be Getaway in February. I guess we'll either have to wait in that line or wait in line at customs for our bags. Either way there will be a wait.

I did book the later bus but can change it if we can make it to the station early enough.

I was just trying to figure out which way would get me to the busy station faster but I guess there is no definitive answer.

Thanks for the input.

MCT can be hit or miss. Line up early, carry your bags, when you get to customs, get a porter, who will place your bags on a cart and take you though a short line, and bring your bags where you want (give a nice tip). 

4 hours ago, mjkacmom said:

MCT can be hit or miss. Line up early, carry your bags, when you get to customs, get a porter, who will place your bags on a cart and take you though a short line, and bring your bags where you want (give a nice tip). 

What is MCT?

4 hours ago, tmal2 said:

10:30 bus is fine.

Line up early and carry your own bags off the ship. There is a taxi/Uber stand across the street from the terminal (kinda a long walk out to the street). 

This was our disembarkation schedule last month (Self Assist is carrying your own bags off the ship)

image.thumb.png.0dbbbccf89ff56f7e17366a5083e503c.png

Grab a quick bite to eat in the Buffet and head down to the line by 6:30 (latest)

image.png.7dcb1592b1018474bca5592b1244eb6c.png

12 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

This was our disembarkation schedule last month (Self Assist is carrying your own bags off the ship)

image.thumb.png.0dbbbccf89ff56f7e17366a5083e503c.png

Do you recall the ship's arrival time? Trying to figure out how much time it typically takes from arrival until self-debarkation can begin.

You should have no problems making the early bus.  Watch the tv channel with debark info in your room as that often announces self carry before they announce it overhead.  We always get in line the moment it starts and have driven home to long island, unpacked and picked up the dogs from the pet hotel before 10:30.

10:30 is a no-brainer in Manhattan. At 9:30 you'll be one of the last off the ship. Your checked bags will be nearly alone in the terminal. You'll walk straight through the facial recognition camaras and be on the street in minutes. The only stress is getting across the street. 

As several posters have pointed out expect NO help from any NCL employee if you're doing self-assist.  MCT is a 'union shop' and NCL employees/contractors aren't allowed to assist you with your baggage from the ship to the terminal.  Once you're in the terminal you can get a Red Cap to assist you.  I dunno if you can get a Red Cap prior to going through Customs or not.  Someone else can speak to that.

Have a good cruise!

19 minutes ago, tomk3212 said:

As several posters have pointed out expect NO help from any NCL employee if you're doing self-assist.  MCT is a 'union shop' and NCL employees/contractors aren't allowed to assist you with your baggage from the ship to the terminal.  Once you're in the terminal you can get a Red Cap to assist you.  I dunno if you can get a Red Cap prior to going through Customs or not.  Someone else can speak to that.

Have a good cruise!

Porters have their own customs line, shorter than the others.

On 11/25/2023 at 8:48 AM, mjkacmom said:

Where will I find the porters?

22 hours ago, schmoopie17 said:

Do you recall the ship's arrival time? Trying to figure out how much time it typically takes from arrival until self-debarkation can begin.

This was the Joy and our arrival time was 7:00 am. 

The Joy did not connect to CBP, so the scan off the ship did not also clear you through customs. You had to do a second scan in the immigrations hall. On our cruise last year, the ship's facial recognition system was connected to CBP, so once you scanned off the ship, there were no other stops. 

9 hours ago, shof515 said:

porter will be in the baggage claim area, they will help move your bags towards the front of the terminal that has the elevator to the parking area

But the OP is doing self debark. 
last cruise we had no customs lines. It was facial recognition and you just flew by the camera.