Thoughts, impressions, and observations for the World Cruise.

2 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

I think it might be time to use your "Phone a Friend" @Tatra603 option for this cruise?

What is RCI going to do, make you provide the name of a friend or relative on the ship and then contact that person for authorization to sell you a cabin?

• Haha 4

8 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

What is RCI going to do, make you provide the name of a friend or relative on the ship and then contact that person for authorization to sell you a cabin?

John could charge a nominal fee as a friend reference.  I think his old expression can now become his business motto… “serve one, serve all”.😀

• Like 6
  • Haha 13

5 minutes ago, A&L_Ont said:

John could charge a nominal fee as a friend reference.  I think his old expression can now become his business motto… “serve one, serve all”.😀

It's going to be like the game show onboard now. So "You want to be a Millionaire"

Care to use  your  Lifeline Now?

"

• Haha 5

47 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

I think Royal will ask each of them a few questions before selling them a cabin to really make sure they really are friends?

1. What's your friends favorite color?

2. feel free to add your question...................

Edited by Jimbo
  • Haha 4

12 hours ago, TwoMisfits said:

Did you have travel insurance?  Some policies and companies will pay for tour bankruptcies...

Have already submitted the forms to the what will be a long and lengthy process.  Can only hope for the best.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, LadyZolt said:

They answered some questions for us -- as John said, they will provide YF vaccines for any who need it (for free) and will also compensate those not on the ship yet but scheduled to join Segment 3 in Dubai for the YF shot they would need to get a few weeks before they join. I understand, too, that they will provide malaria tablets should we need those for destinations.  They indicated that visas for most of the nationalities onboard shouldn't be a problem and they will deal individually with people from nations that might need help getting visas for places. They will not be opening any legs for sale to the public -- but if those onboard have friends for family who want to join, that will be possible. Voting for the two options will occur between now and February 26. I think they will announce the winning itinerary on the 27th. They discussed the math that will be used for calculating whatever the OBC or refunds would be and it's basically "actual fare you paid divided by 274" to figure your "price per day" and then it depends on how many days you end up deviating what amount you will get.  If you opt to leave the ship in Dubai and then re-join at another point rather than do either Option 1 or Option 2, you can leave your stuff aboard and just take your medications, valuables, documents and things you'll need as they won't be re-selling any of the cabins.  They said that once the new itinerary is selected, that will be what it is even if the world situation changes because there is too much involved with the logistics and planning, which makes sense. They will work on getting shore excursions available after the itinerary is selected and we should see those in April.  Also, they said that things will be done by individuals -- so if, for example, a husband and wife on the full cruise decide that the husband doesn't want to do either of the new itineraries, but the wife does, he can opt to leave and she can opt to stay and the amount of money each gets depends on what they choose to do.  I think Royal Caribbean is trying their best to make the most out of a difficult world situation and to give people enough options to feel like we can still salvage some aspect of what our hopes were when we booked this cruise.  

Getting the Yellow fever vax for free is a big perk.  It's a very expensive vax and sometimes very tough to find them available.  Lasts for 10 years.  

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

I think Royal will ask each of them a few questions before selling them a cabin to really make sure they really are friends?

1. What's your friends favorite color?

2. feel free to add your question...................

My questions would probably land me in time out.

• Haha 8

16 hours ago, island lady said:

Yeah, I would have loved to have received your heads up.  As it is now, I cannot get through to American Queen Voyages online or on the phone.  They have a website listed for refunds...but it goes no where when you click on it and times out.  Have been trying for 45 minutes now.  

Have "nasty gram" snail mail" ready to go out tomorrow.  May have to hire lawyer.  They bullied me to pay in full in the beginning.  Should have known.  I am probably out that money.  🤬

That is irritating as heck!  I remember when I was new to cruising when Renaissance (I think that was the name) went bankrupt, and the uproar here.  I remember thinking to myself, I will never book any line that requires full payment more than 120 days in advance.  That is why when I did a couple of River cruises, I refused to consider Viking.  Even though I think Viking is probably the most financially sound river cruise lines.  I am happy for my choice, because we went Avalon and when we were doing the Rhine Gorge, many larger Viking Longboats were doing bus tours because the water was too low.  I have always been super skeptical in general of the US River choices because I have been to most of the cities they go past, and I would not want to just walk of the boat to visit. Kind of like many of the places on the African coast are going to visit on the WC.  Then there is the pricing which is just stupid.

Sorry this happened to you.

jc

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, island lady said:

Have already submitted the forms to the what will be a long and lengthy process.  Can only hope for the best.  

At least you were at home when this happened, and have access to potential recourses. Back in the 60's, my parents got stranded along with a large tour group in Hawaii when their TA absconded with all of the groups prepayments, including the payments for the resort they were staying at and their return flights back to NY. Dad never did get any of his money back, and he ended up eating the cost of both the resort and the return flight to boot. 

Ironically, that was the last time he and my mom did a land-based vacation, and discovered their cruising addiction - which they passed on to me😇

Edited by orville99
  • Like 6

Should someone find a friend onboard and now want to board the ship in Dubai?

How is Royal coming up with prices, considering I assume one could decide to get off the ship at anywhere(port they stop at) correct?

Is there now going to be a price per day depending on what category cabin you select? Just how are they handling that?

Edited by Jimbo
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, island lady said:

Getting the Yellow fever vax for free is a big perk.  It's a very expensive vax and sometimes very tough to find them available.  Lasts for 10 years.  

Ask your Sister to verify that? the Professional................One shot is all that is needed now and  it  will last a lifetime , no boosters needed, been that way for along time.

https://cdn.who.int/media/docs/default-source/documents/emergencies/travel-advice/life-time-validity-of-one-dose-yellow-fever-vaccine-en.pdf?sfvrsn=f3d5adc5_12&download=true

Edited by Jimbo
  • Like 2

44 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

How is Royal coming up with prices, considering I assume one could decide to get off the ship at anywhere(port they stop at) correct?

Is there now going to be a price per day depending on what category cabin you select? Just how are they handling that?

Royal just sent Serenade a pallet load of tiny vacuum cleaners fitted with a patent pending wallet attachment that permanently affixes itself to every boarding passenger and won't release its grip until every last cent is sucked out of their accounts🤣

• Haha 13

I'm booked on the June 7-20 itinerary that will be cancelled if Option 1 is chosen. RCL continues to sell this cruise, with only balconies available, as if no changes are coming.

Are the vaccines included for both Option 1 & 2? For those keeping track, is Option 1 likely to prevail?

2 hours ago, xpcdoojk said:

That is irritating as heck!  I remember when I was new to cruising when Renaissance (I think that was the name) went bankrupt, and the uproar here.  I remember thinking to myself, I will never book any line that requires full payment more than 120 days in advance.  That is why when I did a couple of River cruises, I refused to consider Viking.  Even though I think Viking is probably the most financially sound river cruise lines.  I am happy for my choice, because we went Avalon and when we were doing the Rhine Gorge, many larger Viking Longboats were doing bus tours because the water was too low.  I have always been super skeptical in general of the US River choices because I have been to most of the cities they go past, and I would not want to just walk of the boat to visit. Kind of like many of the places on the African coast are going to visit on the WC.  Then there is the pricing which is just stupid.

Sorry this happened to you.

jc

Oceania Cruises is the successor of Renaissance Cruises and Frank del Rio was the CEO…..

I was booked on the cancelled May 27 Athens to Istanbul mini-segment, and I notified my travel agency on 2/17 that I wanted a refund.  RCI’s cancellation email said the refunds would be issued within 14 business days, so I was pleasantly surprised when they issued a $600 partial refund to my daughter’s credit card today. However, she charged $1500 of the final payment to her credit card, so I hope RCI doesn’t think the other $900 is the penalty for cancelling a cruise with a nonrefundable deposit!  

• Like 1

14 hours ago, island lady said:

Recent science indicates that a single vaccination turns out to be good for life!  I've had it at least twice (probably three times, but can only prove two), so I feel pretty confident I'm covered.  🙂 

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Jimbo said:

They have not yet said which ports (if any) on either Option 1 or Option 2 will be ports possible for anyone to either join or leave the cruise. We're waiting for Royal Caribbean to say -- I imagine Capetown would be approved and it is on both options, but we don't know for sure yet. 

• Thanks 2

On 2/21/2024 at 6:38 PM, island lady said:

Ehh..."poop" happens.  Will continue to battle to get our $$$ back, but could be a lost cause.  I am actually quite happy with the end result.  Talked to the winery owner on the phone, and she is setting us up as an additional two weeks at their guest house. 🤗 I think we will enjoy it more.  😉 

Exemplary and inspiring attitude!  🙂 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Jimbo said:

RC has released no information about any of that.

• Thanks 1

On 2/21/2024 at 5:32 PM, Jimbo said:

That vaccine isn't  as safe for people 60 and over, it's more safe if you are younger.

People aged ≥60 years may be at increased risk for serious adverse events (serious disease or, very rarely, death) following vaccination, compared with younger persons. This is particularly true if they are receiving their first yellow fever vaccination.

https://nathnacyfzone.org.uk/factsheet/20/individuals-aged-60-years-and-older

That is what I was referring to.  Seems a bit sketchy to do this vaccine with a population that is almost exclusively in this age group.  Especially on a cruise ship with limited facilities.  Even if the chances of a negative reaction are only 1-2 percent, that would mean 3 or more sick people statistically.   Of course, I have zero clue what the actual statistics are.  Wish our good doctor would chime in with his thoughts.  That is why, I will likely never get to go to the parts of Africa or the Amazon that require this vaccination.  Although, I personally, would risk it to do this.  Not sure my RN wife would agree.

jc

13 minutes ago, xpcdoojk said:

That is what I was referring to.  Seems a bit sketchy to do this vaccine with a population that is almost exclusively in this age group.  Especially on a cruise ship with limited facilities.  Even if the chances of a negative reaction are only 1-2 percent, that would mean 3 or more sick people statistically.   Of course, I have zero clue what the actual statistics are.  Wish our good doctor would chime in with his thoughts.  That is why, I will likely never get to go to the parts of Africa or the Amazon that require this vaccination.  Although, I personally, would risk it to do this.  Not sure my RN wife would agree.

jc

I am glad I have my sister....in more ways than one.  😉  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1