Thoughts, impressions, and observations for the World Cruise.

On 12/28/2023 at 11:00 PM, jakeil7 said:

OTOH, this seems to have generated a large amount of publicity. Worth sailing with a half full ship? (Assuming that does not change). Hard to tell.  But I think at least this sailing has been worth it for them. 

FWIW, we are at 75% of double occupancy

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

On 12/29/2023 at 7:17 AM, island lady said:

New Show Center Stage last night was (IMHO) good...not great...but entertaining and good.  First time for their new act (all RCI entertainers).  Talented singers, and as always the Serenade orchestra was very good.  Kind of loud last night, but energetic.  

As we were leaving the show and walking up the stairs, we met the man from the Gold Duo, as he was waiting for her in the restroom.  We thanked him for the really great show, and told him how talented they were.  Really nice guy.  I teased him that (as they are getting older) that if he decided to get out of the demanding acrobatic part of it, he would still go really far just doing the comic act.  He was so funny, he had me in tears during the show! 

I patted him on the arm to say thank you again, and realized that was not an arm...more of a tree trunk!!  Yikes...Oak tree.  😉 

Center Stage really isn't new. They just modified it to delete the dance cast. Replaced 6 or 8 of them with two ballroom dancers, added a 5th singer, and added strings to the orchestra.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, CSHS1979 said:

Center Stage really isn't new. They just modified it to delete the dance cast. Replaced 6 or 8 of them with two ballroom dancers, added a 5th singer, and added strings to the orchestra.

Ahh...Ok...thanks.  Our CD painted it as a new show.   Oh well...recycle.  😉 

Breakfast in Chops wonderful as usual.  The staff loves to come around like Eve with the forbidden apple offering those pastries.  😉  We have resisted so far.  😇

My usual Saturday spinach, ham, onion and mushroom omelet more than made up for it.  😋

20231230_060454.jpg

20231230_061320.jpg

Edited by island lady
  • Like 9

22 minutes ago, island lady said:

Ellen, our sweet Chops hostess from Brazil brought some of her favorite Brazilian tiny bananas on board.  She went back into the kitchen to prepare these herself, sending them out to us.  Yumm!  😋

20231230_061706.jpg

I noticed bananas in Cafe Latitude were tiny. Guessed they were local. And the oranges are green

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, island lady said:

Ellen, our sweet Chops hostess from Brazil brought some of her favorite Brazilian tiny bananas on board.  She went back into the kitchen to prepare these herself, sending them out to us.  Yumm!  😋

20231230_061706.jpg

Not sure what Brazilian bananas are but in hawaii I loved the apple bananas there. Lived there 10 years. So sweet and good. Much better tasting than a regular but large banana. 

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, CSHS1979 said:

I noticed bananas in Cafe Latitude were tiny. Guessed they were local. And the oranges are green

Oranges are green in hawaii if the weather doesnt drop below a certain temperature. Some grown up higher had less problems but they cant be grown along the coast and turn orange. It's a matter of temperature. Same oranges, just not the same color due to temperature where they are grown. Color doesnt mean they are a different type. 

20231230_062510301.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

17 hours ago, dahirsh said:

I can't bring myself to watch it again but did the woman in the first one claim the pinnacles ( or was it the whole cruise crowd?)  were given an opportunity to see the northern lights that everyone else was denied?  In the carribean?  Close to the equator?  On the SAME ship? What am I missing?

She has the pinnacles and those doing the entire world cruise mixed up.  She uses them interchangeably.  Pinnacles always have perks that others don't.  She said they had a private meeting and were given the opportunity to see the Northern Lights, which we all know hasn't happened on this cruise so far lol.  She is all over the place with her comments/complaints that she got supposedly from someone she knows onboard.  And, those doing the UWC have perks that those doing segments don't. There's a reason the entire UWC costs more than the segments.  I wonder why MSNBC chose to focus on her when there are plenty of others who are actually onboard doing tik toks and YT videos.  I know, sensationalism to get viewers.  She also mentions there's drama and there's going to be more drama some people have already left the ship.  Then, she proceeds to say some for medical reasons and other's she doesn't know why.  LOL.  Why even mention it then?  As for the few people who aren't friendly, etc.  That's every cruise. 

Edited by BND
  • Like 7

1 hour ago, firefly333 said:

Not sure what Brazilian bananas are but in hawaii I loved the apple bananas there. Lived there 10 years. So sweet and good. Much better tasting than a regular but large banana. 

Indeed the little "sweeties" are the best.   Bucky has around a dozen banana plants (trees) in our backyard...yup we live in a swamp.  😉  We also had them when we lived on Merritt Island.  And indeed they are tiny when mature...and oh so sweet!  🙂  

When we would have too much get ripe at once,  I would pre mash a bunch of them and put them in Ziplock freezer bags with just the right portion each for banana bread recipes...ohhhh...sooo tasty!  😋

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mike07 said:

I'm wondering at what point all of the food starts to taste the same on this UWC. Usually at about 2 weeks on a ship, I'm tired of breakfast and most lunches. There may be something on the dinner menu I have to hold out for.

It's tough enough to plan out meals I make at home to make them different each time.  😄 

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

Just now, island lady said:

It's tough enough to plan out meals I make at home to make them different each time.  😄 

Most people eat the same meals over and over again.  I know we repeat a lot of things every couple of weeks.  Who doesn't repeat items once or twice a month at least?  I know when our kids were growing up we had spaghetti once a week.  At least if you get tired of a particular menu you can go to the WJ and make a big salad or something.  And, you're not cooking.

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

21 minutes ago, BND said:

She has the pinnacles and those doing the entire world cruise mixed up.  She uses them interchangeably.  Pinnacles always have perks that others don't.  She said they had a private meeting and were given the opportunity to see the Northern Lights, which we all know hasn't happened on this cruise so far lol.  She is all over the place with her comments/complaints that she got supposedly from someone she knows onboard.  And, those doing the UWC have perks that those doing segments don't. There's a reason the entire UWC costs more than the segments.  I wonder why MSNBC chose to focus on her when there are plenty of others who are actually onboard doing tik toks and YT videos.  I know, sensationalism to get viewers.  She also mentions there's drama and there's going to be more drama some people have already left the ship.  Then, she proceeds to say some for medical reasons and other's she doesn't know why.  LOL.  Why even mention it then?  As for the few people who aren't friendly, etc.  That's every cruise. 

Thanks...Wow...indeed drama queen for sure.  A wanna be Pinnie?  😉 Funny how the "know it alls" simply don't know a thing at all.  😄 

Truth...from a Pinnacle that is actually ON this ship:

As a Pinnacle we get the "boil and fry" (AKA wash and fold)...we get that on this ship as full or quarter cruisers.  No difference.  We always get that on a one week cruise. 

As a Pinnacle we get the six drink vouchers per person... per day...plus 3 comped bottles of wine delivered to our cabin on embarkation day.  So pair that with suite's free drinks and ability to bring on a bottle of wine per person on embarkation......please show me to the nearest AA meeting!  😵  So, free drink package also no difference to us  

As  Pinnacle we get free unlimited internet.  So does quarter and full WC cruisers.  Again, no difference.  

Pinnacles being treated special on this cruise??  No way...and in fact nothing special at all.  Even the Pinnacle "Cheers with an officer" which we get on any one week cruise, was lackluster.  My steak was terrible.  I doubt there will be another one of those until after first mini leg.  

Numbers: Pinnacles  total on this quarter:  102 (someone turning soon...so will be 103).  Pinnacles doing full WC...41 (two of them in a suite).  

• Thanks 3

9 minutes ago, BND said:

Most people eat the same meals over and over again.  I know we repeat a lot of things every couple of weeks.  Who doesn't repeat items once or twice a month at least?  I know when our kids were growing up we had spaghetti once a week.  At least if you get tired of a particular menu you can go to the WJ and make a big salad or something.  And, you're not cooking.

You got that 100% right!  😄  

Though, I know I am crazy to say so...but I love to cook, and miss making my creative meals.  Especially my home made soups and stews.  

• Like 2

We have enjoyed our feathered friends in bigger numbers today.  And please don't call them "Seagulls" as I have heard some pax call them.   It would be like calling an Eagle a Chicken.  😑 🐔

They are "Boobies" several types exist...these being "Masked Boobies"...and no...not the type that wear pink on BC awareness month.  😉  

These pretty birds live on Flying Fish...have fantastic sight and diving talents.  Most times will be easier on them if the Flying Fish actually fly (to get out of the way of the moving ship) but they can also see them just under the water.  So fun to watch.  

Not having a real camera...just my crappy phone camera...was tough to shoot decent pictures of them. 

20231230_070541.jpg

20231230_071549.jpg

Edited by island lady
  • Like 11

2 hours ago, Mike07 said:

I'm wondering at what point all of the food starts to taste the same on this UWC. Usually at about 2 weeks on a ship, I'm tired of breakfast and most lunches. There may be something on the dinner menu I have to hold out for.

1 hour ago, island lady said:

1 hour ago, BND said:

One of the nice things about being married to a talented chef is that she can take the same 3 or 4 basic proteins each week and create new dishes with completely different taste and texture profiles. Several of her creations are based on menu items we first experienced on cruise ships. She has a unique ability to deconstruct almost any dish she tastes and can tell you exactly what seasonings are  in it and in what proportions.

Edited by orville99
  • Like 6

52 minutes ago, orville99 said:

One of the nice things about being married to a talented chef is that she can take the same 3 or 4 basic proteins each week and create new dishes with completely different taste and texture profiles. Several of her creations are based on menu items we first experienced on cruise ships. She has a unique ability to deconstruct almost any dish she tastes and can tell you exactly what seasonings are  in it and in what proportions.

I would gladly make a big variety, but DH is pretty picky about food. I rarely use a recipe and when I do I make changes.  But, that said, most people on a cruise repeat items at home all the time.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, island lady said:

We have a "Local Cooking Experience" tour in Buenos Aires.  I thought it had read 7:15 am...but looking at our tickets...it's 7:15 PM.  Oh boy...will need some espresso martinis before we go.  😬

They do eat dinner very late (compared to us) in South America.  10-11 pm dinner is not uncommon for them.  

We will be in B.A. in late January and this tour sounds interesting.Is it a ship tour or private. Any details would be much appreciated.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, CSHS1979 said:

True, many times(inc on Serenade) while doing 13-16niters seem them add a 3rd or 4th Show like this. Similar to the old Main Dining Menu's they'd blow dust off extras they had, know for sure seen at least 14 Different ones and would see them on longer Carib and Repo's

Edited by ONECRUISER

1 hour ago, orville99 said:

Your wife could be my best friend...we think alike. 😉 And I love to design various meals using leftovers...no waste. 

I never use a recipe...sometimes a good thing...sometimes not so good.   😄 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, island lady said:

Numbers: Pinnacles  total on this quarter:  102 (someone turning soon...so will be 103).  Pinnacles doing full WC...41 (two of them in a suite).  

Any idea how they are handling people going up in status if they're on for the full cruise or a quarterly segment?  Since they normally have to wait until after the cruise is over to be credited, are they allowing people to bump up after a mini-segment?  If I turned Pinnacle during the first quarter, I'd definitely want the pin benefits for the other 3 quarters.

• Like 1