Thoughts, impressions, and observations for the World Cruise.

36 minutes ago, island lady said:

OK...if there are any of my fellow cruisers following this...GO to the show tonight! We went to the 6:30 show...there is an 8:30 show soon.  OMG!  The Gold Duo were fantastic!  So talented...think Cirque du Soleil with comedy.

The guy was not only an acrobat...but a great comic as well.  Absolutely the best show of the last 3 weeks.  She was just as talented...but he was the comic.  

Sorry again no pictures, but with house lights down...it would be rude to light up my screen.  Great show!  

They were on our 2 Odyssey cruises and I agree, they’re fantastic…the cruise director told us she had them contracted on Odyssey for 7 months…. I was wondering where they were going next, they left Odyssey when we came back from the TA..

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, lovesthebeach2 said:

They were on our 2 Odyssey cruises and I agree, they’re fantastic…the cruise director told us she had them contracted on Odyssey for 7 months…. I was wondering where they were going next, they left Odyssey when we came back from the TA..

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Coming into Recife port.  Docking at the commercial shipping area again, and in fact pretty funny the "temporary" cruise terminals are simply giant blow up balloons.  One being deflated behind the one we are to use.  This is an island set up for the shipping, separate from the city.  

Got my coffee in hand, about to hit the "food slammer" for early breakfast, since we meet early in the theater for our "foodie" tour today.  

More pictures to follow later today.  🙂   

20231228_040548.jpg

• Like 6

OOpps...correction.  We are not using that blow up balloon thing.  Must just be for storage, shelter, or something.  This is another port that is ship to bus...only.  No walkies on the pier.  Bus/shuttle to terminal (wherever that is) only.  

Finished with our "lovely" breakfast at the WJ.....Bucky had the right idea with the cold cereal.  I decided to walk on the wild side and tried the scrambled eggs...yup...now I know why we don't use the WJ for breakfast.  Yuck 😜..... I guess I should have gone to the omelet station, but didn't want anything heavy.   

20231228_044933.jpg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, island lady said:

OOpps...correction.  We are not using that blow up balloon thing.  Must just be for storage, shelter, or something.  This is another port that is ship to bus...only.  No walkies on the pier.  Bus/shuttle to terminal (wherever that is) only.  

Finished with our "lovely" breakfast at the WJ.....Bucky had the right idea with the cold cereal.  I decided to walk on the wild side and tried the scrambled eggs...yup...now I know why we don't use the WJ for breakfast.  Yuck 😜..... I guess I should have gone to the omelet station, but didn't want anything heavy.   

We like the WJ for breakfast sometimes, but I will not eat the scrambled eggs.  I usually get boiled eggs.  I ordered them in the MDR a few times at  breakfast and even though they're not officially on the written menu, they got them for me.  The first time, they brought me 3, the next time I got 2 and once I got 1.   I have to be specific.  

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, BND said:

We like the WJ for breakfast sometimes, but I will not eat the scrambled eggs.  I usually get boiled eggs.  I ordered them in the MDR a few times at  breakfast and even though they're not officially on the written menu, they got them for me.  The first time, they brought me 3, the next time I got 2 and once I got 1.   I have to be specific.  

The WJ omelet station works pretty well too. That and some oatmeal then I save my major calorie consumption for later.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

The WJ omelet station works pretty well too. That and some oatmeal then I save my major calorie consumption for later.

My DH gets omelets there a lot.  It sometimes depends on how busy the station is.  I get around the crappy scrambled eggs by getting a completely plain omelet.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, orville99 said:

How do you explain the occasional egg shells in them then?

Lucky day for you I guess..........either way they are terrible. No one should ever even try them  from the Windjammer, they are that bad.

13 minutes ago, orville99 said:

How do you explain the occasional egg shells in them then?

True.  They bring a lot of fresh eggs onboard so why would they make omelets with fresh eggs, but scrambled eggs with powder or liquid eggs?  Makes no sense does it?  I do think they add something to the eggs for consistency, but they are real eggs (so are powdered when you get right down to it.)  My DH says the scrambled eggs taste fine, but they have a different consistency.

Edited by BND

14 minutes ago, BND said:

True.  They bring a lot of fresh eggs onboard so why would they make omelets with fresh eggs, but scrambled eggs with powder or liquid eggs?  Makes no sense does it?  I do think they add something to the eggs for consistency, but they are real eggs (so are powdered when you get right down to it.)  My DH says the scrambled eggs taste fine, but they have a different consistency.

Very watered down then for sure if they are real eggs.

But I really believe they use something like Egg Beaters.

Just pouring out the liquid to make the scrambled eggs, no way are they cracking eggs to make their scrambled eggs.

The Egg Beaters stuff has a much longer shelf life.

Edited by Jimbo

32 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

Lucky day for you I guess..........either way they are terrible. No one should ever even try them  from the Windjammer, they are that bad.

A: They are real eggs - just do a galley tour and see for yourself, or

B: Ask to speak with the WJ chef and ask directly how they prepare their scrambled eggs, or

C : Go to the omelette station and ask them to scramble some up for you - they will prep them exactly the same way that they do  in the galley.

35 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

39 minutes ago, BND said:

They add milk or cream to the eggs before they whip them to scramble. Standard classic chef recipe for scrambled eggs. The only noticeable difference in the cooking process is that they then cook them in the same tray that they use to serve them, which is why they have a uniform consistency.

BTW, the world record for cracking eggs (one handed) is 18 in 30 seconds.

Edited by orville99
  • Like 2

55 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

But I really believe they use something like Egg Beaters.

Just pouring out the liquid to make the scrambled eggs, no way are they cracking eggs to make their scrambled eggs.

The Egg Beaters stuff has a much longer shelf life.

Some Fast Food Rest use Eggs they have to crack open, others from large Milk Carton looking thing. Still 100% real Eggs though. When did tour on Royal Ship they were cracking each egg, though was while ago

Edited by ONECRUISER
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, ONECRUISER said:

Some Fast Food Rest use Eggs they have to crack open, others from large Milk Carton looking thing. Still 100% real Eggs though. When did tour on Royal Ship they were cracking each egg, though was while ago

My first job as a grill cook was while I was in College, and I got really good at cracking eggs one handed - learned the technique from an ex-Navy cook while I was still in High School working as a soda jerk in a small diner. Fresh eggs are substantially less expensive per dozen than the ones that come pre made in a milk carton (~$4/dozen vs ~$11/dozen), and you can use them for any egg prep unlike premade which can only be used for scrambles or omelettes. 

Edited by orville99
  • Thanks 1