Is The Chair Hogging Dilemma Unsolvable?

harryw

While it pales next Mideast settlement issues, as I am sitting poolside on the Vista in an upright  chair since the lounge ones are claimed with towels or personal belongings - is there any way to fix this problem? It is a universal

challenge on cruise ships regardless of demographics and ubiquitous CruiseCritic subject of debate.

Bad behavior is bad behavior. You can put lipstick on a chair hog but it is still a hog,

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

Yes! Unsolvable.

As I posted on an earlier thread, on inclement weather days the chair hogs move to the library and hog chairs there. Several do it regardless of the weather.

One of the advantages of the Spa Deck. I can typically find an available lounger there. Happily many don’t like going there.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, harryw said:

It is a universal

challenge on cruise ships

And, of course, a major problem in many land based tourist hotels.

The only solution for beds "claimed" but unoccupied is for it to be made widely known that the objects which have been staked as a claim will be removed after a period of time. And, of course,, for that to be actually carried out. I know of a few Spanish hotels which follow this practice successfully. Once you can get over some selfish folks' sense of entitlement, it becomes easy (well, fairly easy).  

• Like 6

Happens at beach resorts, too.  One of you has to wake up at 6:00 and head to the beach to grab two loungers -- then enjoy the sunrise without coffee.  The other wakes up whenever she wants, moseys down to the shore to park, holds yours while you go to breakfast, then you return and hold hers while she goes to breakfast.  

Since the beach resorts we frequent tend to be in foreign locales, residents of those countries also staying at the resort have no compunction about dropping stuff from "saved by a book" loungers onto the ground and taking them over, so there's always gotta be one of you there to attest that the other will be right back  Would that work on a cruise ship?  Maybe not.  

On the one hand, it's a hassle.  On the other, it seems only fair as the resort (or ship) is simply unable to provide a lounger for every guest because there's not that much space.

(Looks like I was typing at the same time as Harters, and that we have similar taste in vacations.)

Edited by DrHemlock
  • Like 1

It only requires the will and commitment of the hotel director and his staff.  

Enough complaints and the offending items WILL be removed.   Tell the HD that a big reason for your cruising is to enjoy the pool deck, not to be faced with a sea of books and sunglasses soaking up the rays.  And that unless the chair hogs are dealt with, you will cruise elsewhere.

One particular cruiseline even sets up a table near the pool and has a large sign that says "Lost pool deck items".  They publicize a 1 hour time limit, then things get removed to the table.  And they apply the policy ruthlessly - regardless of how VVVVIP the offender is.  Plus, they have someone from security doing the removal, so the "lido boys" don't get dinged for the actions.

Just remember....if a cruiseline doesn't address a problem, they don't think it's a problem.  Now you decide if they should get your travel dollars.

• Like 15

2 hours ago, harryw said:

While it pales next Mideast settlement issues, as I am sitting poolside on the Vista in an upright  chair since the lounge ones are claimed with towels or personal belongings - is there any way to fix this problem? It is a universal

challenge on cruise ships regardless of demographics and ubiquitous CruiseCritic subject of debate.

Bad behavior is bad behavior. You can put lipstick on a chair hog but it is still a hog,

Not unsolvable but maybe uncomfortable to address. When I see no one I move items and then if they show up within 30 minutes of when I showed up I offer to move if they want the chair. If its alot longer than that I just say I'm sorry but I have bern here for hours and no one was using chairs. I also have asked someone who was holding chairs both in shade and sun if I could sit in one of them since they can't occupy both at same time.  Uncomfortable but gets point across. 

• Like 9

Years ago on Naitica there was a pool matron who timed when someone went to lunch allowing  half hour. We where aware of this and still had our stuff removed we where 10 minutes to late.On all our cruises on O we eat in waves so we can see our lounge LOL

We now are fast Chewers.

Edited by Acrusa

@harryw I love your approach and style.  If we all look at an aspect of cruising that is less than nice, Pool/Library Chair Hogs are on the top of the list.  I am sure they all know who they are and don't care what the rest of the world think of them.  Entitled is as entitled does.  Rude is rude and selfish is selfish. 

The reason why places like the NCL Haven (Haven Sun Deck) or Celebrity Retreat (Retreat Sun Deck) or MSC Yacht Club (Yacht Club Sun Deck) or even the NCL Vibe Beach Club exists has a lot to do with Chair Hogs.  I used to get so upset at entitled cruisers until I realized, I had choices.  The main one was not to get upset, not to get confrontational on my vacation and just find an alternative that even better.  For me with Oceania, it was the Spa Sun Deck which I absolutely loved on every level.  

Should  all brands do a better job of stopping this situation, YES.  Will it happen, NO.  How do I know this, years of cruising on many brands.  If you are a chair hog, and you know who you are.  Stop or next time, somebody might toss ink on your homemade sign saying a chair is reserved for YOU.  

Cruise well and enjoy every last moment.  

• Like 2

6 hours ago, harryw said:

Agree  unsolvable and also  an issue on vacation hotels

• Like 2

5 hours ago, DrHemlock said:

Happens at beach resorts, too.  One of you has to wake up at 6:00 and head to the beach to grab two loungers -- then enjoy the sunrise without coffee.  The other wakes up whenever she wants, moseys down to the shore to park, holds yours while you go to breakfast, then you return and hold hers while she goes to breakfast.  

Since the beach resorts we frequent tend to be in foreign locales, residents of those countries also staying at the resort have no compunction about dropping stuff from "saved by a book" loungers onto the ground and taking them over, so there's always gotta be one of you there to attest that the other will be right back  Would that work on a cruise ship?  Maybe not.  

On the one hand, it's a hassle.  On the other, it seems only fair as the resort (or ship) is simply unable to provide a lounger for every guest because there's not that much space.

(Looks like I was typing at the same time as Harters, and that we have similar taste in vacations.)

Not sure what the foreign thing has to do with anything.   I believe we're from the same country and I will move you junk if there are no seats and you're a chair hog.

This is one of those times when being big and intimidating has come to my advantage even though I'll move it with a smile. 😁

• Like 3

On our last cruise before covid in late February Carribean Riviera, they had a system in which they would periodically come around and put a card (with a time noted) on unoccupied saved loungers. If also said if still unoccupied in 1/2 hr (or maybe 1 hr - I can't remember) the contents would be removed and placed on a table at one end (the table of shame)

This worked very well!!!

There was no problem finding a place in the shade on that cruise.

The usual chair hogs did not feel they have to hog since a place was almost always open.

Makes a much nicer experience for everyone!

Oceania did it before and can do again.

• Like 11

I am on the Vista with you and totally agree with it being a problem. We both wrote it on our Mid Cruise Survey. Our Concierge called and said “ we don’t have a policy about saving chairs. People should know to not do it.” She also said she has had several complaints and has sent info shoreside. I think people should complain, in writing, with their Mid Cruise and End Cruise surveys. Talking about it doesn’t get anything done. If Oceania doesn’t have a Policy, that is a problem, in my opinion. It tells me they don’t think it is a problem and/or don’t want to deal with it. 

• Like 8

4 minutes ago, harryw said:

Speaking of moving, my wife and I are Celebrity refugees.

C used to be our choice for many years, but discovering O changed our lives,

Have been on both  and on Celebrity as our 1st post Covid cruise on a familier ship and itinerary in January and it was great. Recent changes to Celebrity accompanied by price increases particularly at the Retreat are and will continue to drive me and others to Oceania and other lines. Was on Explora Journeys in October and it was wonderful 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Harters said:

will be removed after a period of time.

I'm going to assume that you're talking about staff removing them. But I think I would be inclined to. Just wait maybe 10-15 minutes and very nicely fold the pieces and stack the a couple of feet away. If challenged I'd just say 'oh sorry'. Period.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Harry Lake said:

I'm going to assume that you're talking about staff removing them. But I think I would be inclined to. Just wait maybe 10-15 minutes and very nicely fold the pieces and stack the a couple of feet away. If challenged I'd just say 'oh sorry'. Period.

We are in Happy Valley what town do you live in