Is The Chair Hogging Dilemma Unsolvable?

harryw

13 hours ago, rbtan said:

Then reserve & hog them for the entire day?

Ouch.  "Reserving" them is one thing (and not a good thing) but using them is absolutely fine.  Nothing wrong with being in a lounger/chair all day if that is what folks want.  

• Like 3

A Chair Hog is a Chair Hog is a Chair Hog. They abound on all seas. After an hour or more I remove their belongings and move in.

Was told that a Chair Hog had gone down at 5:30am to "reserve" her spot and most chairs were "reserved," already. She asked another lady having coffee on her lounge chair at what time did she get her spot, "4 am".

They should rename the pool area

"Entitlement Sanctuary "

2 minutes ago, sunchaser2041 said:

A Chair Hog is a Chair Hog is a Chair Hog. They abound on all seas. After an hour or more I remove their belongings and move in.

Was told that a Chair Hog had gone down at 5:30am to "reserve" her spot and most chairs were "reserved," already. She asked another lady having coffee on her lounge chair at what time did she get her spot, "4 am".

They should rename the pool area

"Entitlement Sanctuary "

Holy cow!!!

1 minute ago, clo said:

Holy cow!!!

Dang maybe reinstitute the midnight buffet poolside to reserve loungers. In the alternative the shipboard activity of the early morning will be musical loungers and winners win. No matter what i am actually surprised this seems like such a big deal.  But who knows since i dont sail until January.  Ill let you know.  Also no matter what I will be fortunate to be on the ship 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Hlitner said:

Ouch.  "Reserving" them is one thing (and not a good thing) but using them is absolutely fine.  Nothing wrong with being in a lounger/chair all day if that is what folks want.  

Hope they bring a "bottle" LOL!

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Waltershipman said:

Dang maybe reinstitute the midnight buffet poolside to reserve loungers. In the alternative the shipboard activity of the early morning will be musical loungers and winners win. No matter what i am actually surprised this seems like such a big deal.  But who knows since i dont sail until January.  Ill let you know.  Also no matter what I will be fortunate to be on the ship 

I'm actually getting a real kick out of this. I loathe sun and heat. One time on a breezy afternoon, I sat on a lounger and read for maybe an hour. We used to have an apt. in Rio, two blocks from Copacabana Beach' 

we finally stopped even taking bathing suits because we never went onto the sand. We would sit on the sidewalk and have food and drinks 🙂

• Like 2

Aloha. Have been blessed to cruise since 1971. Having also traveled around the world and have stayed at 5 star hotels I have encountered chair hogs everywhere. It is shameful but unfortunately that is the sad reality. Years ago you would reserve a specific chair just as you would a specific table in the dining room. While certain staterooms do provide this amenity perhaps allowing one to reserve and pay for a chair would be an additional revenue stream for some nickle and diming lol but also provide some relief from this perpetual headache.

2 hours ago, LouChamp said:

Aloha. Have been blessed to cruise since 1971. Having also traveled around the world and have stayed at 5 star hotels I have encountered chair hogs everywhere. It is shameful but unfortunately that is the sad reality. Years ago you would reserve a specific chair just as you would a specific table in the dining room. While certain staterooms do provide this amenity perhaps allowing one to reserve and pay for a chair would be an additional revenue stream for some nickle and diming lol but also provide some relief from this perpetual headache.

I believe a number of cruise lines alrea provide dedicated areas where those wishing to reserve a deck chair o lounger can pay fr the privilege.  Permitting passengers to pay to occupy chairs and louners in the already crowded common areas sort of makes a mokery f the idea that hey're for the commoners, not for for those with the resources to reserve them and make hem unavailable.  Personally, I don'tthink there is a practical solution to the chairhog problem.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, d9704011 said:

I believe a number of cruise lines alrea provide dedicated areas where those wishing to reserve a deck chair o lounger can pay fr the privilege.  Permitting passengers to pay to occupy chairs and louners in the already crowded common areas sort of makes a mokery f the idea that hey're for the commoners, not for for those with the resources to reserve them and make hem unavailable.  Personally, I don'tthink there is a practical solution to the chairhog problem.

I agree mostly

But the pool attendant can limit the unoccupied lounges with cards stating a limit of 30-45 minutes & removing belongings to a table in the area set for that purpose.  Of course, if a chair is occupied, then by all means occupy for as long as you like.

To see all the unoccupied seats with lonely possessions and no one in the pool or in the vicinity when you need a place to sit just isn’t right.  Sometimes I only like an hour to read or relax and the same belongings are there for hours on an unoccupied lounge.

Just my 2 cents

• Like 1

1 hour ago, true45 said:

I agree mostly

But the pool attendant can limit the unoccupied lounges with cards stating a limit of 30-45 minutes & removing belongings to a table in the area set for that purpose.  Of course, if a chair is occupied, then by all means occupy for as long as you like.

To see all the unoccupied seats with lonely possessions and no one in the pool or in the vicinity when you need a place to sit just isn’t right.  Sometimes I only like an hour to read or relax and the same belongings are there for hours on an unoccupied lounge.

Just my 2 cents

Well, sure.  That's pretty much what was always supposed to happen in one way or another yet.... chairhogging is still as strong as it ever was.

3 minutes ago, d9704011 said:

Well, sure.  That's pretty much what was always supposed to happen in one way or another yet.... chairhogging is still as strong as it ever was.

Yes for a short time on some cruise lines it was enforced — but got worse lately.

15 minutes ago, true45 said:

Yes for a short time on some cruise lines it was enforced — but got worse lately.

Enforce chair use, enforce dress codes, enforce, enforce, enforce.  I'm pretty sure cruise lines have given up on confronting pigheaded, selfish, entitled cruisers who are not at all disposed to following the simplest of rules, policies or 'suggestions' if they don't suit them.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, d9704011 said:

Enforce chair use, enforce dress codes, enforce, enforce, enforce.  I'm pretty sure cruise lines have given up on confronting pigheaded, selfish, entitled cruisers who are not at all disposed to following the simplest of rules, policies or 'suggestions' if they don't suit them.

Everything that is to be said on this topic has been said

It would  seem that on expensive cruises pax would be more mindful however financial statement do not measure class kindness nor quality of character

No more posts for me on this topic 

Happy  cruising hope everyone gets the lounger or seat they desire 

• Haha 1