How much foreign currency to bring along?

NMTraveller

I was just wondering what a reasonable amount of cash to get exchanged is for a foreign port?  My next cruise has 4 different foreign currencies in port.  I realize that most transactions will be on a credit card.  Your thoughts?  For ports is $100 to $200 about right?  Do the ship ATMs switch out currencies for the current port or do I need to go to guest services to exchange?

It would be helpful to know which countries you will visit. Some, such as those in the Caribbean, accept USD, although not at the best exchange rate. In other ports, depending on your planned activity, no local currency may be needed. In others, the best exchange rate would be from a bank owned ATM. Or an exchange bureau. About the worst exchange rate would be on the ship.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, NMTraveller said:

I was just wondering what a reasonable amount of cash to get exchanged is for a foreign port?  My next cruise has 4 different foreign currencies in port.  I realize that most transactions will be on a credit card.  Your thoughts?  For ports is $100 to $200 about right?  Do the ship ATMs switch out currencies for the current port or do I need to go to guest services to exchange?

Ship ATM’s do not change currencies

2 minutes ago, NMTraveller said:

Miswording on my part.

Will they dispense foreign currencies for the next port?

My experiences is that the shipboard ATMs dispense dollars which is what  is considered to be the ship's currency. 

When we have needed local currency in a foreign port, we simply used our CC at a shore ATM and took out what we needed.  

• Thanks 1

We found on a spring cruise to various parts we did not have any issues with our CC exchange rate and doing so on the ship was the same rate as our bank.

• Thanks 1

Singapore, Indonesia, Malaysia, Thailand.

The only Singapore currency we needed last month was for the hawker centers- everyone else took credit cards. Most taxis took cc as well and Grab ( the Uber equivalent) works like Uber with cc on file.

• Thanks 1

Just now, cruisinsusin said:

The only Singapore currency we needed last month was for the hawker centers- everyone else took credit cards. Most taxis took cc as well and Grab ( the Uber equivalent) works like Uber with cc on file.

Good to know. Thank you.

• Like 1

Other posters are correct; nearly everyone, everywhere takes cards. I wouldn't purchase currency in advance or at airports, ports, etc, as rates are bad there.   If you do need cash and plan to withdraw from an ATM, make sure it is a bank-affiliated ATM, rather than an "independent".  Examples in Europe are Cashpoint, Euronet, etc, but I don't know if they exist in Asia or under what name(s). Their exchange rates are always poor and service charges are high.  Some US and Canadian banks have international agreements with foreign banks to honor debit cards without a fee for use.  Bank of America is one.  You might want to check with your bank about that.

Also depends on how long and what tours you are taking. We usually get enough for cash tips and a few bucks handy in local $. We get it prior to the trip via our Bank. it gives very good rates. 

It can be tricky getting to a local ATM sometimes so we carry $100’s in local funds…usually. Not in Caribbean and Mexico, but certainly in Europe and Asia. 

And others are right about using CC’s is the norm; and tour guides would take US $ but we do like to use local money for tips and if I find something that take cash. A number of local small stores give a better deal taking local cash. 

Den

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, NMTraveller said:

What about ApplePay?  Will it be usable?

Definitely in Singapore. Be prepared to switch to Visa/MC if you normally use AMEX. ApplePay, Google Pay or contactless cards work on all public transit. The only place I remember using cash was at the true Hawker Markets. But $10 US will pretty much buy you a meal there. 

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, markeb said:

Definitely in Singapore. Be prepared to switch to Visa/MC if you normally use AMEX. ApplePay, Google Pay or contactless cards work on all public transit. The only place I remember using cash was at the true Hawker Markets. But $10 US will pretty much buy you a meal there. 

Is it like the US?  Some take AMEX some don't?  Or less take AMEX?

7 minutes ago, cruisinsusin said:

In our experience less take Amex 

I’d agree. The big shopping enters will probably take anything but the smaller vendors usually don’t take AMEX. And you need Visa/MC for the transit system. 

• Thanks 1

I use my Amex for the ship account. That card stays in the safe onboard. I'll carry a Visa or MC, one in my party will carry the opposite (I'll take MC if they have Visa, I'll take Visa if they have MC). I think the worst card I have for foreign transaction fees is only 1%, so that doesn't bother me much. I'm probably way to OCD about having the right card or having a few spares in case one gets compromised. I think the MC came from one of the European countries being MC only a while back. Or it could be the wine and scotch (can't be age!). 🤪