BYO wine still allowed?

Hello Everyone,

Just need to check if we are still allowed one bottle of bubbly per person (to drink in our cabin of course!)

Also, does Princess still present Elites with the mini-bar set up? We haven't been cruising since our March 2020 NZ cruise. It cut short when Princess was closed for the "Covid break". Much catching up to do now and we're  off in about a month  😊

55 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

Corkage is now AUD$30 per bottle 😢 although you can take one each without that charge.

The free one is for in cabin consumption only. But you see pax sneaking along the corridors with their 1 bottle pp cabin wine, heading for the decks, lounges, dining rooms, etc. Thats the way it is, human nature.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, NSWP said:

The free one is for in cabin consumption only. But you see pax sneaking along the corridors with their 1 bottle pp cabin wine, heading for the decks, lounges, dining rooms, etc. Thats the way it is, human nature.

No need to sneak, I openly carry my wine up on deck & ask for a glass at the bar, no problem 😊 

• Haha 3

We're strictly cabin drinkers re the wine and always bring 2 bottles from Yeppoon. Corkage is way too expensive, especially when you have to cart that precious drop all the way from Yeppoon!!

Hope you're keeping well Les...nice to hear from you and take care.

Anna

Currently on Majestic. At every port now, the ship scanner has a sign that only one wine bottle per adult is allowed. So you can top up your cabin supply each port visit if bottle shop is handy.  This always was the case, but wasn't sure of policy post-covid.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Tripmode33 said:

Currently on Majestic. At every port now, the ship scanner has a sign that only one wine bottle per adult is allowed. So you can top up your cabin supply each port visit if bottle shop is handy.  This always was the case, but wasn't sure of policy post-covid.

It's funny the level of policing. We openly boarded Enchanted Princess in Europe this year with wine, beer and spirits and 4 different ports and were never asked a thing. 🙂 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

So , is it  true that you can bring back wine onboard from a cruise port stop on Princess to consume onboard ? Must be the only cruiseline that allows this ? 

2 hours ago, hammo said:

So , is it  true that you can bring back wine onboard from a cruise port stop on Princess to consume onboard ? Must be the only cruiseline that allows this ? 

It seems to be allowed on Princess. I don't know about other cruiselines.

3 hours ago, hammo said:

It varies from ship to ship. Sometimes they take it off you and return it on the last day so you can pack it, other times they let you keep it.

• Like 1

For Coral on a domestic cruise, there is less chance of bringing a bottle on than Coral on a World cruise. In our major Aussie ports they also use the X-ray in the terminal vs the crew scanning your stuff on the ship.

The visiting seasonal ships are more liberal, applying the same standards as they do in the US. So yes, ship by ship and also the itinerary. I find it best to ask security at the gangway when we are departing the ship, as it is a pain to have it bonded if you were planning to drink it aboard.

• Like 1

Geoff, have you asked security on the Coral when you have departed the ship at ports in Australia and what was their response?

We are on Coral on the round Oz cruise at the end of Feb next. Barry

1 minute ago, bazshirl2 said:

Geoff, have you asked security on the Coral when you have departed the ship at ports in Australia and what was their response?

I will see if extra wine is allowed on the Coral on the NZ cruise that leaves on Thursday 11th. Early last year, and again a couple of times on the World Cruise I asked the man at the alcohol collection table if I was permitted to bring wine on at the ports of call. The answer was that one bottle was 'free' and corkage would be charged on others. These occasions were all ports where scanning was done on the ship.

I thought about asking Security, but I don't think they are the department that will allow or disallow additional wine to be brought on board. The person manning the table is a dining room waiter from the Food and Beverage Department under the control of the Hotel Manager.

8 minutes ago, bazshirl2 said:

Hi Barry, 

Personally, not since before covid. Since the plus package arrived, we haven't bought anything back aboard. 

9 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

I will see if extra wine is allowed on the Coral on the NZ cruise that leaves on Thursday 11th. Early last year, and again a couple of times on the World Cruise I asked the man at the alcohol collection table if I was permitted to bring wine on at the ports of call. The answer was that one bottle was 'free' and corkage would be charged on others. These occasions were all ports where scanning was done on the ship.

I thought about asking Security, but I don't think they are the department that will allow or disallow additional wine to be brought on board. The person manning the table is a dining room waiter from the Food and Beverage Department under the control of the Hotel Manager.

If you have a port where you disembark at wharf level, the security guys are the ones that do the screening and know the policy of what is OK to be kept, what needs corkage, and what needs to be bonded.

1 hour ago, Aus Traveller said:

The one bottle per port is a great compromise that appears to be gaining some consistency. It would be great if that sort of stuff was written into their policy.

• Like 1

I probably shouldn't say this, but other than on our last cruise where we took no drinks on boarding, we have always taken (and got away with it) one bottle of wine each in our carry on luggage as well as one bottle of wine each in our checked bags. 

One time we had to go to the naughty room to collect a suitcase because of a power board (alcohol wasn't the problem). While there we saw an opened suitcase full of bottles of an average quality wine - not a single thing else in the bag other than bubble wrap, just bottles and bottles of wine. If nothing else, the case must have weighed a ton!  I suppose 15 or 20 bottles were more of a concern to them than a single bottle 🍾 🤣

As per terms and conditions for upcoming cruise in April.

Bringing Alcohol Onboard On the day of embarkation, guests are permitted to bring one 750ml (no larger) bottle of wine or champagne onboard per voyage, which will not be subject to a corkage fee if consumed in Your stateroom. Additional wine or champagne bottles are welcome, but will incur a $15 corkage fee each, irrespective of where they are intended to be consumed. Liquor, spirits, or beers are not permitted. Any beverages purchased during the cruise at any port of call will
be collected at the gangway for safekeeping and will be delivered to Your stateroom on the last day of the cruise. Princess Cruises is not responsible for any alcoholic beverages confiscated by local security staff. These items are not eligible for monetary refund or replacement

On my last cruise I bought 12 bottles onboard.  Paid corkage on 10 bottles.  I would prefer to pay the current corkage of $30 per bottle and drink a decent wine than pay their $60+ for a bottle.  I make sure I carry a printed copy of my booking with terms so I can show if they decide to tell me I cant bring it onboard.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, rickays said:

As per terms and conditions for upcoming cruise in April.

Bringing Alcohol Onboard On the day of embarkation, guests are permitted to bring one 750ml (no larger) bottle of wine or champagne onboard per voyage, which will not be subject to a corkage fee if consumed in Your stateroom. Additional wine or champagne bottles are welcome, but will incur a $15 corkage fee each, irrespective of where they are intended to be consumed. Liquor, spirits, or beers are not permitted. Any beverages purchased during the cruise at any port of call will
be collected at the gangway for safekeeping and will be delivered to Your stateroom on the last day of the cruise. Princess Cruises is not responsible for any alcoholic beverages confiscated by local security staff. These items are not eligible for monetary refund or replacement

On my last cruise I bought 12 bottles onboard.  Paid corkage on 10 bottles.  I would prefer to pay the current corkage of $30 per bottle and drink a decent wine than pay their $60+ for a bottle.  I make sure I carry a printed copy of my booking with terms so I can show if they decide to tell me I cant bring it onboard.

I am sure we can take extra bottles of wine on board (and pay the relevant corkage). Although the T&C state that any alcohol purchased during the cruise will be confiscated, in practice, often wine is allowed under the same rules that apply at embarkation.