Simply More credits will be simply less as of 1/1/24

shepherd really

3 minutes ago, Waltershipman said:

In a call yesterday with O i was told rhat classes cannot be paid with SM credits.  Comments on CC indicate otherwise. Will certainly find out See you on the 31st

That is BS. We were told on the ship that they could be used for classes, but all classes were full..thus we lost $196 in value cuz tour at our last port was cancelled. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, edgee said:

That is BS. We were told on the ship that they could be used for classes, but all classes were full..thus we lost $196 in value cuz tour at our last port was cancelled. 

We are wait listed for a 1000am class there are 2 available but at 400pm but we dont like the time 

Well lets see.  We now yet again have folks saying, "Because of SM I will not book Oceania again!", other saying "this SM forcing us to take the SM Excursions Credit when we would prefer to do excursions ourselves and save the money." Yet others say, "I will not book Oceania again because all I want is Cruise Only!"  Let's not forget, "Oceania's advertising is a Scam!"

Everyone's point of view is important and valuable.  I remember when I got on this board the complaints back then.  One of which was, why does Oceania give you the choice of one of three perks. They should give you ALL the perks.  Why does Oceania only give you one internet device except in upper suites, we want two.  Why doesn't every one get a drink package.  Back then, it made a lot of folks mad and they said some of the same things being said now about never cruising with Oceania again. 

If a brand makes a change in there fee structure, some folks will hate it, some will like it.  Can't please everyone, every time. If everyone hated it, the brand would stop selling cabins.  If that happens, which is doubtful, the brand to stay alive would change their fares yet again.  OR the brand would have a huge blowout sale, which is always welcomed. If you don't like the current state of any brand, go to another brand.  Write the brand a letter and explain why they disappointed you.  Make your feelings known with your pocketbook by booking somewhere else.  

Cruise well, choose a brand that suits you, tell others why you choose the brand. Help cruise enthusiast find great brands that offer great value.  

• Like 7

12 minutes ago, Sthrngary said:

Well lets see.  We now yet again have folks saying, "Because of SM I will not book Oceania again!", other saying "this SM forcing us to take the SM Excursions Credit when we would prefer to do excursions ourselves and save the money." Yet others say, "I will not book Oceania again because all I want is Cruise Only!"  Let's not forget, "Oceania's advertising is a Scam!"

Everyone's point of view is important and valuable.  I remember when I got on this board the complaints back then.  One of which was, why does Oceania give you the choice of one of three perks. They should give you ALL the perks.  Why does Oceania only give you one internet device except in upper suites, we want two.  Why doesn't every one get a drink package.  Back then, it made a lot of folks mad and they said some of the same things being said now about never cruising with Oceania again. 

If a brand makes a change in there fee structure, some folks will hate it, some will like it.  Can't please everyone, every time. If everyone hated it, the brand would stop selling cabins.  If that happens, which is doubtful, the brand to stay alive would change their fares yet again.  OR the brand would have a huge blowout sale, which is always welcomed. If you don't like the current state of any brand, go to another brand.  Write the brand a letter and explain why they disappointed you.  Make your feelings known with your pocketbook by booking somewhere else.  

Cruise well, choose a brand that suits you, tell others why you choose the brand. Help cruise enthusiast find great brands that offer great value.  

Your post is great. My DW and ventured back into cruising with our 1st post Covid cruise on a familier Celebrity ship in January on a cruise previously been to multiple times in an effort to ascertain how we liked cruising in a (sort of(post Covid world ) we loved it and new Celebrity pricing has made us think harder however.. In October we were on the new Explora Journeys and it was exquisite in every way with beyond excellent food.  Now we are set to sail Vista in January. Will see how food compares to EJ which was extraordinary 

We have always booked cruises over the last 43 plus years based upon our needs at the time. Just counted the number of cruise lines we have experienced since 1980 and its 18 with several no longer in business. So check ships out and there is something for every taste. This will be our 1st O since Covid.  We were on the Sirena when Covid hit and returned safely March 8 2020

Cruise well appreciate every moment rejoice in gratitude.  Look forward to meeting up 

• Thanks 1

We cruise for the ports/ itineraries, not for the ship. We do obviously drink alcohol. For the majority of the cruises we take the SM credit will be $800-$1000 per stateroom or $400-$500 each. 

1. If it’s an itinerary we want, I don’t think that amount moves us much. It’s maybe two of the old $199 O’Life tours.

2. We don’t particularly like most Oceania shore excursions. We aren’t going into a port we really want to see and worry about a SM credit. We’ll take the tour, private or ship, that gives us the experience we want.

I see where this affects those that cruise primarily for the ship and rarely take actual tours. 

I personally see this all as merely a price hike. We eat lunch ashore almost always, even though we have it provided on the ship. We certainly don’t rush back to the ship worried about getting there before 2:00. We typically have wine with our lunch ashore, even though we normally have the drinks package. We sometimes take a great bottle to dinner on the ship and pay corkage, even though we have the drinks package. Even though included in the fare, we do all these things we prefer to do that costs us extra. 

We’re not going to take a tour, we have little or no desire to take, because it’s provided by the ship via SM credits. Same as we rarely took Vikings included tours.

Cruises have a cost. Oceania has a new price structure. What’s that total cost. I see no difference between those ship tours, I have no interest in taking, and all those lunches and occasionally dinners I plan on missing while eating ashore. It’s all part of the costs. 

For the itinerary we want, how does O’s cost compare? Any edge concerning food mostly disappeared. Marginally better than some, not so others.

• Like 14

Totally on the same page in your thinking Pinotlover.  We travel the same. We also never took Vikings excursions unless it was a means of transportation to and from, meeting back at the appropriate time. We had no issue providing a tip to the tour person - just because we didn’t want to go with the group shouldn’t impact their way of living when another guest who followed along would tip. 
All of this is, as you say, a price increase. No added value whatsoever. It’s pretty crappy the way it’s being spun out IMO. It’s  been interesting to watch the maneuvering of Oceania’s marketing department recently, that is for sure. And in the end, it could cost them. Time will tell on that. 
Am I sold on Oceania, and how they have been handling various situations in the past six months?  No - I am not. Am I still sold on Viking as I used to be - no I am not. Have I completely ruled out sailing…..it would have to be a really superior itinerary for us at the right price point, and then maybe. 
But you put it into perspective quite nicely on the ways we travel, and I agree with your analysis. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, pinotlover said:

I personally see this all as merely a price hike. We eat lunch ashore almost always, even though we have it provided on the ship. We certainly don’t rush back to the ship worried about getting there before 2:00. We typically have wine with our lunch ashore, even though we normally have the drinks package. We sometimes take a great bottle to dinner on the ship and pay corkage, even though we have the drinks package. Even though included in the fare, we do all these things we prefer to do that costs us extra. 

That's us 100%. We're also port focused. To each our own.

I hate to derail the conversation but after taking our first cruise on Oceania recently, we are now convinced that convoluted rules and somewhat misleading (or at best incomplete) marketing is solidly baked into Oceania’s DNA.  Two examples:  They have this “happy hour” that allows one to buy two drinks for the price of one…except they need to be two of the same drinks…because why???  I have no idea how that is good for anybody.  We actually somehow had our bartender give us a reprieve form this draconian rule.  Another is this “Free Airfare!!!” nonsense that they keep putting on their website and brochures, while you get a “credit” when you choose not to buy airfare from Oceania.  If it has a dollar amount associate with it, its definitely NOT free.  It’s almost like Oceania is desperately dependent on careless readers/thinkers for their marketing strategy to work.

But nothing in life is completely black and white.  We would still try Oceania if the price/assumed product/timing is right for us, and we did put down a deposit for 2025.  But if we find a comparable cruise line (small to medium sized ships, relatively nice cabins, a good variety of itineraries, and ideally less than $400 per diem) with less or none of this marketing nonsense, we would seriously consider leaving Oceania behind.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, edgee said:

..thus we lost $196 in value cuz tour at our last port was cancelled. 

So, I just wanted to clarify your actual onboard experience please.

1. You had a tour booked using SM credits at the final port.

2. Oceania informed you this tour was cancelled ?

3. Was any other tour at that port available / offered as a replacement ?

4. If no, did you discuss with anyone onboard, (apart from Destination Services) about whether you could have those SM credits used as how normal SBC is used onboard ?

Do you know what would happen if the ship was unable to dock at the final port and one had a SM credit tour booked ?

Do you know if one was on a B2B whether any unused SM credits, through no fault of your own, would be able to be transferred across to the second cruise ?

Thanks.

Edited by Tranquility Base

7 minutes ago, Tranquility Base said:

So, I just wanted to clarify your actual onboard experience please.

1. You had a tour booked using SM credits at the final port.

2. Oceania informed you this tour was cancelled ?

3. Was any other tour at that port available / offered as a replacement ?

4. If no, did you discuss with anyone onboard, (apart from Destination Services) about whether you could have those SM credits used as how normal SBC is used onboard ?

Do you know what would happen if the ship was unable to dock at the final port and one had a SM credit tour booked ?

Do you know if one was on a B2B whether any unused SM credits, through no fault of your own, would be able to be transferred across to the second cruise ?

Thanks.

We tendered to shore in Grand Cayman..last port of 16 night LA to Mia cruise. Upon arrival at the dock we were informed by the concessionaire that it was too choppy to do our snorkel tour..

that's when we learned our tour was cancelled. One O staffer was around who said there may be another tour available..not sure.( would have to be land based due to choppy waters.) We were in our bathing suits ready to snorkle...no interest in a bus ride to town of  "Hell" or turtle farm even if available. When we got back to ship we went to front desk who had zero interest in our issue; said to talk to Destinations staff.. were told by Destinations staff that we would lose our credit..could not be applied to on board charges...could be used for cooking classes but no cooking classes available. I believe same thing would have happened if ship had missed the port.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, ORV said:

So let me get this straight, have you ever actually cruised on Oceania? 

In other news. Has anyone figured out who the paid influencers are? Hint, not this poster. But one on this thread. 

@ORV Please do share who the paid poster is.  I want some of that payment.  After my last cruise, I could use some cash to pay off my American Express.  Seriously, if there is a way to be paid, I would LOVE to know.  

Cruise well and enjoy every moment. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, ORV said:

In other news. Has anyone figured out who the paid influencers are? Hint, not this poster. But one on this thread. 

OK, I'm going to need another hint. My troll spotting is pretty good, but my influencer spotting needs practice. Are we being swayed to like O or to dislike O?

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

19 hours ago, Sthrngary said:

Well lets see. ... If a brand makes a change in their fee structure, some folks will hate it, some will like it.  Can't please everyone, every time. If everyone hated it, the brand would stop selling cabins.  If that happens, which is doubtful, the brand to stay alive would change their fares yet again.  OR the brand would have a huge blowout sale, which is always welcomed....

Yes, the overall cost of the cruise is based on the actual price one pays for it.

Book/list prices are often times not paid by anyone or nearly anyone. And when O has 6-8-10 sales per year, of varying "quality", I can't image ever paying it. I may book it when the cruise first pops up, but I'm waiting and expecting to change the booking off a future sale.

However, I will say that SM as rolled out essentially was an $800 price increase tied to overpriced excursions. So even in the future the "new" sales price was going to be significantly higher than the "old" sales price.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, AMHuntFerry said:

OK, I'm going to need another hint. My troll spotting is pretty good, but my influencer spotting needs practice. Are we being swayed to like O or to dislike O?

Dislike, yet they talk about making future bookings. 

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, ORV said:

Ok. Think I may have narrowed this  conundrum to 2 or 3, if there really is an influencer!

Who is paying this person?

I’m beginning to look at all these people who keep on posting the same negative thing  over and over and over and over again as potential improvements to the Oceania experience. If they truly mean what they say they won’t be cruising any more and therefore fewer whiners on the cruise!! A big win!! My opinion, I assume that is still allowed. 

• Like 10
  • Haha 2

14 minutes ago, EJL2023 said:

I’m beginning to look at all these people who keep on posting the same negative thing  over and over and over and over again as potential improvements to the Oceania experience. If they truly mean what they say they won’t be cruising any more and therefore fewer whiners on the cruise!! A big win!! My opinion, I assume that is still allowed. 

Maybe hired by competitors to down grade competitors Sounds like a downer job. I have been on some ships after seeing some poor reviews on CC and never saw what they were referring to.

I would like to know who they are just for the heck and to not value their input

• Like 2

14 hours ago, ORV said:

We were booked for our first cruise on 5/18/24. Unfortunately medical circumstances have interrupted travel plans this Spring. Hopefully that sets it straight

Are we still looking at Oceania for the future…..I think I answered that in the post you questioned me on. Possibly for a very good itinerary at the right time of year when we can travel. Will I keep watching the boards I am interested in, yes. I think they provide the positive and the not so positive. No line is all positive. Oceania has had a lot of not so positive right now. I hope that settles out, as it was highly recommended before all the things many of you who are  experienced are discussing. 

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, EJL2023 said:

YES! PLUS MANY!

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Vineyard View said:

We were booked for our first cruise on 5/18/24. Unfortunately medical circumstances have interrupted travel plans this Spring. Hopefully that sets it straight

Are we still looking at Oceania for the future…..I think I answered that in the post you questioned me on. Possibly for a very good itinerary at the right time of year when we can travel. Will I keep watching the boards I am interested in, yes. I think they provide the positive and the not so positive. No line is all positive. Oceania has had a lot of not so positive right now. I hope that settles out, as it was highly recommended before all the things many of you who are  experienced are discussing. 

@Vineyard View This is my opinion only so other opinions may differ.  The best way to look at comments and reviews on this and other social media boards is taking out the extremes then looking for trends and patterns.  Please forgive me, I assisted in analysis on reviews for companies in my previous life and look at it differently then most consumers.  Allow me to explain.  

1. Take out the Extremes:  That means if someone thinks everything was perfect, or someone thinks everything was awful.  That is about 10% on top and 10% below.  No cruise is that extreme. Look towards the 80% in the middle. 
  2. Trends and Patterns:  This is when there is an abundance of the same comment over lots of different guests whether good or bad. The most important part of this is the comments are from the guest actual experience vs. their opinion of what other say.  Oceania Cookies are tasteless which some might say but until you tried one, you could not say for sure.  I had several, I kind of liked them but they had less sweet in them then other cookies.
  3. Leveraging the Information:  The best way to describe this is with examples.  Prior to my first cruise on Oceania, I heard the Red Ginger had a great Fish dish.  Universally loved. We ate in Red Ginger twice and many in my group got it.  They did enjoy it so that was good information. On the other side, I had read that the lobster grilled to order was not very good for lots of reasons. One member of my group ordered it even after I gave them the information and we can confirm it was not good. So knowing food is relative the concept is sound.  When you read negative comments some like you referred to, you now can avoid those experiences. If you avoid the experience you don't have a negative experience.  That is what I meant be leverage the information.  For me and most of my guest, it was a great strategy. 

My first experience on Oceania Cruise led to booking another cruise while onboard so that says something.  The experience was different then some of what I thought it would be both positive and negative.  As stated, no cruise is perfect.  However, at this stage in my life, it suited my wife and me.  Please don't let the extreme comments stop you from any brand, ship or experience.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, Sthrngary said:

@Vineyard View This is my opinion only so other opinions may differ.  The best way to look at comments and reviews on this and other social media boards is taking out the extremes then looking for trends and patterns.  Please forgive me, I assisted in analysis on reviews for companies in my previous life and look at it differently then most consumers.  Allow me to explain.  

1. Take out the Extremes:  That means if someone thinks everything was perfect, or someone thinks everything was awful.  That is about 10% on top and 10% below.  No cruise is that extreme. Look towards the 80% in the middle. 
  2. Trends and Patterns:  This is when there is an abundance of the same comment over lots of different guests whether good or bad. The most important part of this is the comments are from the guest actual experience vs. their opinion of what other say.  Oceania Cookies are tasteless which some might say but until you tried one, you could not say for sure.  I had several, I kind of liked them but they had less sweet in them then other cookies.
  3. Leveraging the Information:  The best way to describe this is with examples.  Prior to my first cruise on Oceania, I heard the Red Ginger had a great Fish dish.  Universally loved. We ate in Red Ginger twice and many in my group got it.  They did enjoy it so that was good information. On the other side, I had read that the lobster grilled to order was not very good for lots of reasons. One member of my group ordered it even after I gave them the information and we can confirm it was not good. So knowing food is relative the concept is sound.  When you read negative comments some like you referred to, you now can avoid those experiences. If you avoid the experience you don't have a negative experience.  That is what I meant be leverage the information.  For me and most of my guest, it was a great strategy. 

My first experience on Oceania Cruise led to booking another cruise while onboard so that says something.  The experience was different then some of what I thought it would be both positive and negative.  As stated, no cruise is perfect.  However, at this stage in my life, it suited my wife and me.  Please don't let the extreme comments stop you from any brand, ship or experience.  

Totally true. I do like to focus on the positives in life. From over 45 years in conflict resolution  i do believe that we attract that which we believe to be true and what we anticipate expecting.  That being said i love cruising and do measure one line with another yet many tastes in cruising are  out there and with the right reseach we increase our odds of getting what we want.  Well there is also the excitement of something new. Explora Journeys was brand new for us in October and while far from perfect it was nevertheless spectacular in so many marvelous ways. While we have been on 3 previous O cruises our upcoming cruise on Vista is Totally new as it is a new ship.New experiences

Life is an adventure. In 2020 when we embarked on the Sirena we had no idea the world would close 3 days after debarkation March 8.

Lots  to explore outside ourselves and within.  Happy cruising Sea you on board

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 12/20/2023 at 4:00 PM, Sthrngary said:

@mc_reeve My first Oceania Cruise was last month.  It exceeded my expectation which was most recently booking the VIP suites on NCL and Celebrity.  Oceania was different in many ways both good and bad.  The good out weighed the bad.  I read and comment on four different cruise brands.  Each and everyone is doing the same thing.  They do it subtly, and small amounts each time.  

Now it is up to everyone to make a decision on brand, itinerary, ship and stateroom that best suits their vacation needs.  

Please.......what was the good and what was the bad as compared with Celebrity? I'm considering an A1 extended balcony cabin on Marina or Vista.

1 hour ago, seasoon said:

Please.......what was the good and what was the bad as compared with Celebrity? I'm considering an A1 extended balcony cabin on Marina or Vista.

@seasoon Celebrity was always sold to me as an improvement over Royal and NCL.  The Celebrity Retreat was at the least the same as the NCL Haven.  With the exception of the really nice Retreats Suites Restaurant which was great, I found the rest of my voyage lacking in personalized service.  

I found Oceania excelled in dining and personalized service.  I also found the investment in Oceania a much better value proposition than either NCL Haven or Celebrity Retreat with far less nickel and dining along the way.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2