BEWARE: Your drinks package does NOT cover freshly squeezed OJ

cruise101

We are just back from a TA crossing on the Nieuw Statendam and were very disappointed to find that the drinks package does NOT cover fresh OJ during breakfast. The package says it covers most drinks within the $11 maximum, however fresh OJ is NOT covered. Not only that, after paying $6 + 18% gratuity, we realized that the OJ was not quite “FRESHLY” squeezed. It was poured out of a bottle stored in the fridge. Very disappointed.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

That's interesting, I'm pretty sure it was covered on our cruise in late August early September. I only ordered it once, I didn't particularly like it. What "fresh squeezed" means is that someone took real oranges and put them in a juice press located on the ship. It doesn't mean they squeezed the juice to order. Imagine how long that would take for say 300 orders of "fresh squeezed" orange juice. You might get your glass just in time for lunch.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

For both the Signature and Elite Beverage Packages HAL lists the exclusions as -

"Excludes Mini Bar, Juices at Gelato, Room Service, beverages on Half Moon Cay, Freestyle Coca-Cola and any self-service draft beer."

Where does fresh squeezed OJ fit into that? Is it from 'Gelato'?

We had juices at Gelato and “freshly squeezed” OJ covered by our packages last year. (Either in error or the exclusion is new.) That change excluding fresh juices would actually tip the scale for the HIA value to “not worth it” for us. We don’t drink a lot of alcohol, so we get our money’s worth from the Signature on smoothies, juices, specialty coffee, etc. 

Agree with @kazu . It was included on Rotterdam in September and also on Nieuw Statendam in August.

I do know that if I was now told it was not included then I would be seeking a meeting with the beverage manager or Hotel Director and requesting a definitive list of excluded drinks which have a menu orice if less than $11.

8 hours ago, cruise101 said:

We are just back from a TA crossing on the Nieuw Statendam and were very disappointed to find that the drinks package does NOT cover fresh OJ during breakfast. The package says it covers most drinks within the $11 maximum, however fresh OJ is NOT covered. Not only that, after paying $6 + 18% gratuity, we realized that the OJ was not quite “FRESHLY” squeezed. It was poured out of a bottle stored in the fridge. Very disappointed.

"Freshly squeezed" doesn't mean it comes right from the machine into your glass. It goes into that container, then into your glass because they are making "freshly squeezed" all the time during the breakfast rush.

• Like 1

Last year on the Nieuw Statendam I had a retreat cabana. One day I went in there later than 5 pm to retrieve something and found that was where they were squeezing the oranges. A crew member pulled a the squeezing machine out of the closet and had boxes and boxes of oranges. I watched him put a few oranges in the machine. I was kind of surprised  that was the location for the squeezing process. The orange juice is definitely fresh squeezed as others have stated just not tableside. If I recall they also pop the popcorn for like movies up there.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Bill B said:

For both the Signature and Elite Beverage Packages HAL lists the exclusions as -

"Excludes Mini Bar, Juices at Gelato, Room Service, beverages on Half Moon Cay, Freestyle Coca-Cola and any self-service draft beer."

Where does fresh squeezed OJ fit into that? Is it from 'Gelato'?

Which means milkshakes are still included!  

6 minutes ago, OlsSalt said:

I suspect fresh-squeeze orange juice was probably was also a victim the newer "green mandates" to reach zero-waste onboard within the cruise industry.

What does this comment mean? I am totally perplexed.

• Like 3

Did someone tell you it wasnt included? Did you bring it up to guest services to have it removed from your bill? They make errors on many drinks that we have to get corrected but we've always had fresh OJ included in the package. The server in Lido brings it (not from the pitcher on the counter).

1 hour ago, keeponcruising said:

Last year on the Nieuw Statendam I had a retreat cabana. One day I went in there later than 5 pm to retrieve something and found that was where they were squeezing the oranges. A crew member pulled a the squeezing machine out of the closet and had boxes and boxes of oranges. I watched him put a few oranges in the machine. I was kind of surprised  that was the location for the squeezing process. The orange juice is definitely fresh squeezed as others have stated just not tableside. If I recall they also pop the popcorn for like movies up there.

That’s a strange place to do food prep. I wonder if that is approved by Public Health.

Are there appropriate hand washing stations nearby?

• Like 1

One of the special offerings in Club Orange is fresh squeezed orange juice.   If everybody got fresh squeezed it wouldn’t be “special”.  I remember several years before the shut down and before Club Orange when this was discussed.  At that point the discussion was that HAL no longer served fresh squeezes OJ. in the Lido.

1 hour ago, OlsSalt said:

I suspect fresh-squeeze orange juice was probably was also a victim the newer "green mandates" to reach zero-waste onboard within the cruise industry.

Orange rinds are biodegradable,  so what's the issue?

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, CruiserBruce said:

In the food prep area in the Retreat there are sinks and related.

Thanks for the clarification.

Having never been to The Retreat I pictured the work being done on folding table set up under a tent. I didn’t realize there was a food prep area.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, TiogaCruiser said:

That’s a strange place to do food prep. I wonder if that is approved by Public Health.

Are there appropriate hand washing stations nearby?

Yes. There is a sink. There is also a shower if you want super hygiene.

17030425967893.jpg

• Haha 5