Thoughts on Cococay? Worth change from eastern?

Any thoughts on A Perfect Day at Cococay? We’re booked on an Eastern Caribbean this spring, and I am considering switching to a 5 night Western Cococay instead, for the same week. We’ve done the EC itinerary several times, on X and DCL, and I do like it, but we have been disappointed in the excursions in the past, and there are almost none offered or available for our upcoming cruise.  As for private islands, we have loved DLC’s Castaway Cay and am interested in trying Cococay. Are they comparable? Seems like there is a lot of negative sentiments on here for Coco, but no specifics. It does look like everything has an extra fee, which is surprising. The reason for wanting to try Cococay is that I am imagining a more relaxed day at the beach without transportation stress or overly-aggressive beach vendors. Does that sound like what it is? We would also save $2000 if we switched itineraries. 

3 minutes ago, TravelingCircusof5 said:

Any thoughts on A Perfect Day at Cococay? We’re booked on an Eastern Caribbean this spring, and I am considering switching to a 5 night Western Cococay instead, for the same week. We’ve done the EC itinerary several times, on X and DCL, and I do like it, but we have been disappointed in the excursions in the past, and there are almost none offered or available for our upcoming cruise.  As for private islands, we have loved DLC’s Castaway Cay and am interested in trying Cococay. Are they comparable? Seems like there is a lot of negative sentiments on here for Coco, but no specifics. It does look like everything has an extra fee, which is surprising. The reason for wanting to try Cococay is that I am imagining a more relaxed day at the beach without transportation stress or overly-aggressive beach vendors. Does that sound like what it is? We would also save $2000 if we switched itineraries. 

Save $2000?  Switch!

• Like 4

The savings are appreciable and is a consideration.  I am not sure if I would classify the current CocoCay as offering a relaxed day at the beach.  I found the former CocoCay as offering a relaxing environment.  For the $$$, it would be worth a try.  

• Like 2

I thought I would hate Coco Cay but I loved it. Not everything costs extra. There are plenty of free lounge chairs on the beach under umbrellas. There are free food venues with good food. There are free beverages (water, iced tea, lemonade). There are pools and splash pads for the kids that don't cost anything. 

Yes, there are plenty of opportunities to spend money if you want to. But you don't need to spend a dime to have a good time.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Coco Cay's beaches are beautiful and if you get out there early and head over to Chill Island, it isn't quite as crazy.  I can't compare to Castaway Cay as that is one of the few private islands I haven't been to but compared to the others I have been to, Coco Cay is the most amusement park-like and can get very crazy especially if you are in port with an Oasis class ship. One really nice thing about Coco Cay is that there is a dock so you don't have to worry about waiting for tenders.

• Like 3

OP here. To clarify, I don’t mind spending some money on the island. I would spend $ on an excursion elsewhere. I was just surprised at all the separate fees. 
I would have to call later and see about switching our ressie- see what we would lose. I booked directly with X and we do have tips in our AI that we wouldnt get now. 

If you liked Castaway Cay, you'll love CocoCay.

Consider purchasing a pass to the Coco Beach Club or to the new adults-only Hideaway Beach if you're looking for a more exclusive experience. But like others said, it's easy to have a good time in the public areas of CocoCay and not spend a dime.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, TravelingCircusof5 said:

OP here. To clarify, I don’t mind spending some money on the island. I would spend $ on an excursion elsewhere. I was just surprised at all the separate fees. 
I would have to call later and see about switching our ressie- see what we would lose. I booked directly with X and we do have tips in our AI that we wouldnt get now. 

Very nice to walk around.  Swim up pool, same bartenders and waitstaff as on ship.  Drink package works at any bar,  the same as on ship.  Swim in the pools or the homemade beaches.  Burgers, hotdogs, chicken, make your own nachos or tacos, some salads, included at eateries. Also some food available at  any snack stops.  Then you got the not for free stuff.  The water park, which was a bit much per person. The Zipline, balloon ride, kayaks, floating mats, snorkel gear, all have a fee.  People had mentioned the good chicken wings at Captain Jacks, which was ala carte also. Several  grass hut souvenir shops, operated separately from the cruise line. Pricey trinkets that we honestly did not need.  But available for those shoppers looking for a Coco Caye item.   Very clean place, clean restrooms.  Food was basic bbq food.  A one and done for us.  Those with children, extra $$$ put aside, or a low interest charge card, might feel differently...RCCL money maker island

• Like 3

2 hours ago, TravelingCircusof5 said:

We had booked directly with Celebrity and we were able to keep our AI (tips) when we changed dates.  The incentive to booking on board was kept as well--- but the cruise price changed and the current Celebrity OBC booking incentive as part of the sale changed.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, keesar said:

The savings are appreciable and is a consideration.  I am not sure if I would classify the current CocoCay as offering a relaxed day at the beach.  I found the former CocoCay as offering a relaxing environment.  For the $$$, it would be worth a try.  

I agree..mostly for the  monetary savings. We generally prefer Eastern over Western itins...but for 5 days does it matter?  What are the other ports?

The orig Coco Cay was beautiful and mostly  unspoiled..' tll X/Royal got a bright  money making idea!

.I would likely stay on the ship that day!

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, TravelingCircusof5 said:

It does look like everything has an extra fee, which is surprising.

absolutely untrue. We didn't spend a dime at Coco Cay! 

We love Coco Cay. It's stunningly beautiful and a very relaxing beach day for us.  Make sure not to stay at the Chill Island beaches, if there are 2 ships in Coco Cay that day, unless you want to snorkel first behind the rocks (lots of fish). image.png.660afd109a7022438c785c1977f0df79.png

It gets crowded because it's the first beach people go to and stay at.

Last time I discovered a "secret" path from Chill Island to the South beach, and took it several times. It's so serene....

image.png.43b02105a4a962842e2ffdc1bef36e58.png

image.png.ea5ae13635ab9302ff9e9728b9fbb123.png

image.png.9e0c1f88eb379335ddbb8bd89f417c67.png

image.png.75553a509b7ddcf263270c6ccffb3093.png

Free chaises and umbrellas for everyone? Yes! We much prefer the Breezy Bay part of the Chill Island beach - less crowded than the first beach to the left.

image.png.a7cd7cc253df113f3454e993a8164b9c.png

image.png.f5d8cb8fde9352b1723296c6ef483495.png

You can see more photos if interested in the links in my signature (they say Coco Cay).

The free food in the Shack is wonderful (beats Princess Cay buffet any time). Oh, and the funnel cake!!!! OMG. Free and super delish.

The free buffet looked pretty good as well.

The only thing we didn't like about it is that in the last 2 years the water was freezing both times. But, alas, nobody has control over that. 🙂

Edited by Itchy&Scratchy
  • Like 3

t I am imagining a more relaxed day at the beach without transportation stress or overly-aggressive beach vendors

i think you will find that CocoKey delivers just that! We really enjoyed it on our first postcovid cruise, on Royal. Although we are usually Celebrity cruisers the port was close and we enjoyed the quick getaway and Coco Key was a big part of that. It was a great beach day without paying for taxis, or loungers and umbrellas, or extra for food and drink.  There was plenty of room to spread out, get in some nice walks, and no need to spend extra money.  

• Like 3

We have been to CocoCay at least 15 times and have never spent a dime there.  It is certainly the best day of a cruise.  Get off the ship early and grab some chairs and umbrella at the Oasis pool and enjoy a totally relaxing day. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, TravelingCircusof5 said:

I am really enjoying all the opinions and info re: Cococay. Thanks everyone

One more little thing.  The water, in pool , or water park, or beaches, will most likely be chilly in the spring.   We were on Allure in May, and experienced the chill.  A few stiff cocktails might help with the polar bear plunge....

12 hours ago, TravelingCircusof5 said:

I am not a big fan of Cococay (I like Laberdee better), however if all you want is a lazy day sitting on the beach it is a great choice. There is even a small amount of snorkeling available.

I can't and won't predict the weather.  It is above my pay grade.

We did Coco Cay last spring on a RCCL cruise.  We really enjoyed it.  We did get a cabana because there were 11 of us and that was special  but I would definitely go back and use the free loungers

Would someone who doesn’t like heat, sun, salt water, beach, sand, or outdoors enjoy Coco Cay? Is there anything else to do other than staying at the beach? I remember not liking DCL Castaway Cay

8 minutes ago, Moochi said:

Would someone who doesn’t like heat, sun, salt water, beach, sand, or outdoors enjoy Coco Cay? Is there anything else to do other than staying at the beach? I remember not liking DCL Castaway Cay

I believe that the concept was to build a family fun island, that has everything a sunny, hot, salty, sandy, tropical island offers. All within walking distance for most people. No hustle n bustle, no cabs, no traffic, no pushy vendors, and extremely safe. While it can be relaxing laying in a lounger, and you don't have to spend anything extra if you don't want, this doesn't seem to be for you.  So no is my answer, unless you have a good sun hat, and stay on the mostly sand free walking paths to get around and see some pretty flowers.  

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, deliver42 said:

We loved Coco Cay, and didn't spend a dime. We ate at one of the food shacks for a great burger and fries.

I enjoyed the carnitas / pork tacos at the buffet. Buffet quality was far better than Labadee, imo.

• Like 1

I've been to CoCo Cay twice.  First time, purchased a cabana by the Oasis lagoon.  Great time, great service in a very loud party atmosphere.  The food from the Snack Shack was SO good!  Oasis Lagoon was VERY cold in January 2000.  Second visit was May 2023 and we splurged on the Beach Club.  Very relaxed, quiet and the lunch was AMAZING.  

DH and I are not "beach people" and can lie by a pool or on a beach any day of the week, since we live in Florida.  That being said, we will likely stay on the ship this May when it docks there.  

I’ve been on dozens of Royal Caribbean cruises, only recently started cruising Celebrity, and when Celebrity announced some months ago that CoCocay would be now included on Celebrity itineraries, there seemed to be a majority of Celebrity cruisers on Cruise Critic who were/are completely against, angry, hostile, upset about the addition of RC’s private island. Having been there, I absolutely love it.  Something for everyone at every age for a beach experience.  

• Like 1