Say it right!

Elvis1209

4 minutes ago, ldubs said:

I could be (probably am) wrong, but thought this was one of the rules that is kind of acknowledged as no longer applicable.  Kind of like who/whom.   

No, you are correct...I said I remember the rule...but it's not so today...at least according to some...like cursive writing (which is now starting to be taught again in some schools)

The example in the following link is a poor one though... 

https://www.scribbr.com/parts-of-speech/ending-a-sentence-with-a-preposition/#:~:text=Yes%2C it's fine to end,results in very unnatural phrasings.

I think a better one example would be "Where are you from?"  as versus "From where are you?"

It's not wonder that many folks have some difficulty learning English...lol...

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, dlh015 said:

No, you are correct...I said I remember the rule...but it's not so today...at least according to some...like cursive writing (which is now starting to be taught again in some schools)

The example in the following link is a poor one though... 

https://www.scribbr.com/parts-of-speech/ending-a-sentence-with-a-preposition/#:~:text=Yes%2C it's fine to end,results in very unnatural phrasings.

I think a better one example would be "Where are you from?"  as versus "From where are you?"

It's not wonder that many folks have some difficulty learning English...lol...

I prefer "From where art thou?".   😃

Good stuff, thanks.   

• Haha 3

22 hours ago, cyntil8ing said:

Since this thread is all about being pedantic (and I for one am here for it), it's "Hear! Hear!", unless that is, you're calling a dog to come "Here! Here!" 😀

Yup, you got me!  And I'm an English major!  I guess I was overcome with someone posting about not using "The"!  LOL, good catch!  Hear Hear to you!

2 hours ago, C-Dragons said:

😁 WOW, you sound like a member of the SCA!  😉 

Might have joined if I liked turkey legs, tankards, and women in pointy hats with ribbons!

5 minutes ago, mayleeman said:

Might have joined if I liked turkey legs, tankards, and women in pointy hats with ribbons!

That’s too bad, you missed out on a lot of fun!
Pointy hats and tankards were not my style, 
I preferred circlets and goblets. 

• Like 1

If from Chicago, the name is "Da Eclipse". 

I attribute many spelling issues to use of phones and tablets and everybody is in a rush. Lot's of truncated words. You  becomes  "U".

most commonly misspelled word in my book, is "seperate" which drives me nuts.

Back when I started working,  big accounting firm, we had a pool of typists -the era of IBMs Selectric. Nothing automated.

Their joke about the "College Boys" was that with all the education we had, they had to correct our spelling, grammar, punctuation et al.

They were correct. Somehow that was not taught well in HS or College.

One good class required for the men in Business; Accounting and Management,  was Home Economics for Men.

By the way, is there going to be a battle over who uses "X". Celebrity or Elon Musks "X".

My 2 cents worth for the day. Not worth much at all.

On 1/5/2024 at 12:00 AM, Elvis1209 said:

There's something that's been eating away at me for some time.  I've spoken to many Navy Veterans and they all agree on this subject.  When giving the name of a ship you should not precede it with "The".  It is not "The" Beyond, "The" Apex, or "The" Millenium.   It is simply Beyond, Apex, and Millenium.  Refer to a ship as you would refer to your spouse.  They are not "The" Elvis and "The" Priscilla.  They are simply Elvis and Priscilla!  And while we are at it.  You should never shorten  a ship's name.  It is Millenium, not "Millie".  You wouldn't call Titanic...well, you get the idea.  As you can see, I have way topo much time on my hands! 

Elvis

I’m married to a Navy veteran who talks about his time on “the” Iowa and “the” Orion. Guess I’ll have to point that out next time 🙂

It is not "The" Beyond, "The" Apex, or "The" Millenium.   It is simply Beyond, Apex, and Millenium

So if I am going on a cruise on the Beyond, I should say I am going on a cruise on Beyond. Which begs the question beyond where?

2 hours ago, vjmatty said:

I’m married to a Navy veteran who talks about his time on “the” Iowa and “the” Orion. Guess I’ll have to point that out next time 🙂

Should not matter.  We always refer to our ships as The "..." ... always have, always will.  

• Like 1

On 1/5/2024 at 3:21 PM, CunucuMom said:

Thank you for your correct usage of you're vs your.  My nails on a chalkboard grammar faux pas is when someone writes "Your going to enjoy a wonderful meal in the Connie dinning room.  You're DH/DW will love there escargot."  Ackkk, I can't believe that which I just wrote.  🤣🤣

Blind squirrel...meet nut!  😉

17 minutes ago, CruisingTheWaves said:

It always really bothered me to see "Millie" for Millennium and "Connie" for Constellation. 

I don't find the nicknames endearing 🤣 

That's just "Silly". 🤣

Edited by doghog
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, CruisingTheWaves said:

It always really bothered me to see "Millie" for Millennium and "Connie" for Constellation. 

I don't find the nicknames endearing 🤣 

I think you mean The Millie and The Connie.  

• Haha 1

On 1/4/2024 at 9:00 PM, Elvis1209 said:

There's something that's been eating away at me for some time.  I've spoken to many Navy Veterans and they all agree on this subject.  When giving the name of a ship you should not precede it with "The".  It is not "The" Beyond, "The" Apex, or "The" Millenium.   It is simply Beyond, Apex, and Millenium.  Refer to a ship as you would refer to your spouse.  They are not "The" Elvis and "The" Priscilla.  They are simply Elvis and Priscilla!  And while we are at it.  You should never shorten  a ship's name.  It is Millenium, not "Millie".  You wouldn't call Titanic...well, you get the idea.  As you can see, I have way topo much time on my hands! 

Elvis

Ya know, you are correct that "the shouldn't be used before a cruise boat's name.  😃

On 1/5/2024 at 2:27 AM, Travelling2Some said:

I have a friend who only learned to speak English a few years ago and the proper use of the word "the" trips her up frequently.  She always refers to her husband as "the Michael"  It's incorrect yet cute.  And then there is always "The Donald".

omg thanks for the chuckle.

The end.   

5 hours ago, doghog said:

That's just "Silly". 🤣

Which is my personal boiling point.  I can handle Millie and Connie - they are decent words in and of themselves.  But to refer to a ship as "Silly" is, well, just silly!

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, phoenix_dream said:

Which is my personal boiling point.  I can handle Millie and Connie - they are decent words in and of themselves.  But to refer to a ship as "Silly" is, well, just silly!

Perhaps it would be better if it was spelled Sillie? 😁 

• Haha 1