JOHN AND DIANE ARE AT IT AGAIN!

Aloha. She is doing well and recovering Thank God. What a lovely couple. Not self centered and not self important. Loved reading their posts just like the inside cabin. 

• Like 6

1 minute ago, LouChamp said:

Aloha. She is doing well and recovering Thank God. What a lovely couple. Not self centered and not self important. Loved reading their posts just like the inside cabin. 

Thank you for the update. I haven't seen a Facebook post in a while, so have been wondering. 

I agree that they aren't self important. They love to participate in on board events, and enjoy seeing the ports they visit and learning about what those ports offer. 
Genuinely get all the enjoyment possible out of their cruises. 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, LouChamp said:

Thanks for the update. We were on board for the first GWV segment and would have enjoyed meeting them. 

• Like 2

Sunday, February 25, 2024

Well, here I am again.  It's been a long and difficult journey, but we're home, my medical needs have been taken care of, and I'm recuperating.  Yes, I'm better, but my recuperation period of two months will make it impossible for us to rejoin the ship.  

We had planned to take a one-week overland, disembarking in Puerto Vallarta and flying to San Francisco, from where we could rent a car and drive to Auburn in Northern California to spend time with our (only) granddaughter.  That was the plan.  Not all plans work out.

Two nights before Puerto Vallarta, with virtually no warning, I became very ill and ended up in the Medical Center, where Dr. Crous (I can't say enough good things about him) said that I had some gastric bleeding and I needed an endoscopy to determine whether I had a bleeding ulcer.  He suggested that I have one in Manzanillo, Mexico, but I said "thanks but no thanks" since I'd be in California in two days and I could have it done there.  Sure enough, after arriving in Auburn late on Tuesday night, I spent the next day feeling really lousy at our AirBnB, and on Thursday morning I went to the Emergency Room at Sutter Hospital (which turned out to be almost across the street).  They assured me that there was no way I could have an endoscopy in my limited time, and then two hours later there was a cancellation, and I was scheduled for 7:30 the next morning.  Because the gastroenterologist wanted as much info as possible, he had me sent for a CT scan, which showed that I had something called a GIST, or Gastrointestinal Stromal Tumor on the side of my stomach.  The only question was whether it was benign or malignant.  Yikes!  

During my endoscopy, some samples were taken to be biopsied and we then made the decision to drive home for surgery there.  Our gastroenterologist at home has been a personal friend for about 20 years, and he was texting and calling with me through all of this.  He was able to talk with the pre-eminent surgeon in the area who agreed to do my surgery shortly after I returned home. 

Long story short:  I spent seven days in the hospital, the (benign) tumor was cleanly removed with a 1 cm margin all around.  It was then necessary to keep my stomach completely empty for 48 hours, followed by all the jello I could eat.  I really hate strawberry jello now.  Even though I've lost 15 pounds, I really don't recommend this as a diet plan.

Three days post-surgery, I was able to check out of the hospital and come home.  I've always been a very healthy and active person, so I figured a few days, maybe a week, and I'd be up and at 'em.  Well . . . not exactly.  For the first week I could do absolutely nothing.  My strength was completely gone and my wonderful husband wouldn't let me go anywhere in the house without holding onto him.  After a week, I began to feel a bit stronger, but when I went to see my primary doctor, she looked straight at me and said, "Diane, you are NOT a very good patient."  

I was told in no uncertain terms that I was to TAKE IT EASY, and I've been doing that ever since.  I've become a very patient patient and I'm finding that I feel better almost every day.  My limitation now is that I only do one thing a day that requires much energy.  Today was taking a shower and washing and drying my hair.  I know it's going to take a while but it will be worth it in the end.  

Regarding being at home:  John is the best husband EVER!  He does all the cooking and shopping, laundry, and housecleaning and reminds me when I'm trying to do too much.  If you're not feeling well, I'm sorry, but you may NOT borrow him.  His reward?  We're signing up for the 2025 world cruise (not the Pole to Pole).  

I cannot say enough about Shannon, our cruise agent, as well as the officers and crew of the Zuiderdam.  As soon as we found out how serious this was, Shannon got us all cancelled.  Then Luisa, our cruise host, took care of having our (wonderful) room stewards pack up and ship everything in our cabin, which we received three days after the next port of Honolulu.  

Luisa has kept in touch, sending photos with various friends, officers and crew holding "Get Well" signs and "Happy Birthday" signs for John.  Did I mention that this completely ruined his birthday?  If you ever wonder which cruise line has the best officers and crew, I have no hesitation in telling you that it's Holland America Line.  

Thank you to everyone who has followed along with us and I promise that I'll get back to my blog as soon as we board the 2025 world cruise.  

So . . . that's where I've been and although I wish we were still on the ship, everything about my condition has worked out absolutely perfectly.  God has been looking over my shoulder and I couldn't be luckier.  

• Like 35
  • Thanks 10
  • Haha 1

So sorry to hear you had to go through all that! I am very happy that you are on the road to recovery. Take it easy and follow your doctors orders and you will be dancing again soon! 

Thank you for checking in and letting us all know how things are going for you. 
Sorry you couldn't return to your cruise, but so glad you were able to disembark and get home for the surgery. The timing, if you had to get sick, could not have been better. 

Looking forward to your next cruise blog. Get well soon! 

• Like 1

I have followed your upbeat and informative blogs over your last few cruises and, usually, give my thanks at the end. While I don't know you, I do know that your positive outlook will  help carry you through this challenge. This fan is looking forward to next year's WC blog. Wishing you all the best.

• Like 2

I love following your cruises and I love the way you join in with whatever is happening on the ship.  So sorry it had to end as it did, but so pleased you're on the way to recovery.  What a gem John is.  I also have one of them!

All the best for your complete recovery and looking forward to your WC 2025.

Just another avid follower. I'm happy to hear that you are on the mend and that the GIST was benign! Be sure to listen to the medical advise and don't try to rush your recovery. This is one time that slow and steady definitely wins the race! looking forward to you next world cruse blog. 💖

Thank you SO much for taking the time to update your thread... it is much appreciated by those of us who've come to "know you".  Wishing you all the best in your recovery.  

Juli

• Like 1

So sorry that you had to go through all of this, but very glad that the outcome is positive!  Take care and rest is the best medicine!  Looking forward to your next adventure!  Your posts are the best!

Diane thank you for your blog, I have enjoyed every minute of it.  You obviously take part in all the opportunities offered on the cruise and really enjoy yourself.  I cannot understand folk who pay a fortune to travel to all the exotic places offered and then look for American food.  They might as well save their money and stay home. 
Get well soon and I look forward to following your travels next year.  

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Stratheden said:

I cannot understand folk who pay a fortune to travel to all the exotic places offered and then look for American food.  They might as well save their money and stay home. 

Some folks have serious food allergies. Sticking to food they know makes a mealtime enjoyable. Everyone travels differently. 

• Like 6

4 hours ago, dchip said:

Some folks have serious food allergies. Sticking to food they know makes a mealtime enjoyable. Everyone travels differently. 

I also think that while the ship food is overall pretty good, when people are on it for 4 months, they may just crave a decent pizza that that isn’t found on most HAL ships. To each his own.

Thank you to OPs for coming back and letting everyone know you’re ok. 
Good luck with recovery. Patience in recovery can be hard for an active person.

• Like 2

Good to see you are up to posting, at least, Diane! And of course thankful for the benign status and excellent surgery and care. I'll look forward to seeing you on the 2025 World -- with Capt. Frank and Henk as Gus announced earlier this week. Best wishes for a fast and smooth recovery!

• Like 2