JOHN AND DIANE ARE AT IT AGAIN!

JOHN AND DIANE ARE AT SEA - AGAIN!

Thursday, January 4, 2024

At Sea en route from Ft. Lauderdale to Tobago

After days of preparations (how could they have taken that long?), a four-hour drive to San Francisco Airport, overnight in the airport’s Hyatt, a flight to Ft. Lauderdale and two nights with our Cruise and Travel Experts group, we finally settled into an exhausted lump into our Zuiderdam stateroom - only to be faced with four HUGE suitcases containing the clothes that had been picked up at our house on December 14.  I knew immediately that I’d packed way too much in my two bags (plus the slightly smaller one carried with me on the plane), but now I not only had to face the crazy job of unpacking it all but then finding places for everything.)

Finally, with everything removed from the bags (which were then nested for storage under the bed), we began wandering the beautiful Zuiderdam.  The best part is always running into old friends, whether they be officers, crew, or passengers.  It turns out many of our WC cruise friends have joined the 101-day Grand Australia cruise, but there are still lots here to keep us company and it feels like “coming home” to rejoin the ship.

We’re in a Signature Suite, slightly smaller than a Neptune Suite.  Our midship location on Deck 8 gives us a smooth ride and proximity to most things on the ship.  We met our friendly room stewards and spent a bit of time on the balcony, even though it was pretty chilly and windy, before heading to the Ocean Bar, our pre-dinner hangout to meet yet more crew members we haven’t seen in almost a year as well as to meet some new ones.

This year we opted for an upstairs table.  John has often  wished to sit upstairs at a four-top for two (a table for four for just the two of us and occasional guests) near the railing.  We found our table easily, but it turns out that HAL, in its wisdom, had assigned it to us - as well as another couple.  When we spoke to Presty, the Dining Room Manager, we agreed to change tables, so now we’ll have to see what tomorrow will bring.

The greater problem for the Zuiderdam and its guests, however, has been the Brazilian visas.  As of January 11, all citizens of the U. S., Canada and Australia are required to secure a Brazilian visa before visiting that country.  Unfortunately, they only began making those visas available on November 28, while in their instructions they indicated that visitors should apply “90 days in advance.”  Four items were required for the visa:  a 2 x 2” photo, a photo of the photo page of the passport, an itinerary, and a bank statement showing that the applicant had at least a minimum amount of $$ to ensure a return home.  While that sounds easy enough, the actuality was pure chaos.  My application was returned with a request for a better photo of my passport page, so I sent back the original photo which was then approved and I now have my official 10-year visa.  John’s application, however, was like most of our fellow passengers.  First he was required to resubmit three of the original four items (which we did), and then they wrote to tell us that his date of birth was different on the application and on his passport.  What this turned out to mean was that his passport DOB was 23-02-XXXX, while on the application we had written 02-23-XXXX.  The drawback, however, was that we had no access to make that correction.  Because of the time zone of their “Help Center” (somewhere in Eastern  Europe?), there were several midnight phone calls which were only somewhat helpful, in that the “helpers” couldn’t do anything but file a “complaint” about the problem.

I guess they finally got that solved, but then they wrote telling us that a letter explaining the situation could NOT have the Brazilian reference number in the subject line but it must be in the body of the letter along with the citizenship of the applicant.  What???!!!!  OK, letter sent in requested format and John’s status is now . . . “Pending.”    What now?  Holland America Line has paid for two Brazilian visa “experts” to be on board until we arrive on their shores, so it should be an interesting week or so as those still without visas (including John) will be called in to expedite the process.

This afternoon is an event called “Block Party” that Captain Friso began last year, At 4:00, everyone is invited to come out of their room into the hallway, where officers and crew will come through to pour wine and provide snacks, hoping to allow shipboard neighbors to get to know each other.  It’s a great idea and we made several new friends near last year’s cabin.  Very few passengers turn down free wine, so the hallways are crowded.  We’re looking forward to doing it all over again!

So how do we spend our days?  If we’re not in port, John is atop the ship playing pickle ball all day (even though he has a rotator cuff injury) and I’m either doing Duolingo French lessons, reading on the balcony, or writing my blog.   I’d love to be in the gym (as I have always been on previous cruises), but I have a tear in my meniscus and my doctor says, “Rest and time,” so my physical activities are limited.  Oh well, it will get better - or so she says.

P. S.  The block party was a roaring success.  We met both Carolyns who are our neighbors and various other new friends.  The wine was freely poured and the snacks (olives, chips/salsa, and peanuts) were a nice addition.  Can’t wait to get this show on the road.

P. P. S.  We received an email late last night telling us that the Brazilian government has now agreed to postpone their visa requirement until April 10, 2024.  What a hassle it has been, but John's happy he can now go ashore.  

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

Looking forward to hearing all about your adventures.  Great news about the Brazilian visa.  Hoping you’ll have fair winds and safe travels in the upcoming months!  

• Like 1

Have another great cruise!  I'm so glad the Brazilian visa issue has been put on hold for a while; everyone on the cruise will have 1 less thing to worry about so they can enjoy their time onboard and on shore.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Johnny B said:

JOHN AND DIANE ARE AT SEA - AGAIN!

Thursday, January 4, 2024

At Sea en route from Ft. Lauderdale to Tobago

After days of preparations (how could they have taken that long?), a four-hour drive to San Francisco Airport, overnight in the airport’s Hyatt, a flight to Ft. Lauderdale and two nights with our Cruise and Travel Experts group, we finally settled into an exhausted lump into our Zuiderdam stateroom - only to be faced with four HUGE suitcases containing the clothes that had been picked up at our house on December 14.  I knew immediately that I’d packed way too much in my two bags (plus the slightly smaller one carried with me on the plane), but now I not only had to face the crazy job of unpacking it all but then finding places for everything.)

Finally, with everything removed from the bags (which were then nested for storage under the bed), we began wandering the beautiful Zuiderdam.  The best part is always running into old friends, whether they be officers, crew, or passengers.  It turns out many of our WC cruise friends have joined the 101-day Grand Australia cruise, but there are still lots here to keep us company and it feels like “coming home” to rejoin the ship.

We’re in a Signature Suite, slightly smaller than a Neptune Suite.  Our midship location on Deck 8 gives us a smooth ride and proximity to most things on the ship.  We met our friendly room stewards and spent a bit of time on the balcony, even though it was pretty chilly and windy, before heading to the Ocean Bar, our pre-dinner hangout to meet yet more crew members we haven’t seen in almost a year as well as to meet some new ones.

This year we opted for an upstairs table.  John has often  wished to sit upstairs at a four-top for two (a table for four for just the two of us and occasional guests) near the railing.  We found our table easily, but it turns out that HAL, in its wisdom, had assigned it to us - as well as another couple.  When we spoke to Presty, the Dining Room Manager, we agreed to change tables, so now we’ll have to see what tomorrow will bring.

The greater problem for the Zuiderdam and its guests, however, has been the Brazilian visas.  As of January 11, all citizens of the U. S., Canada and Australia are required to secure a Brazilian visa before visiting that country.  Unfortunately, they only began making those visas available on November 28, while in their instructions they indicated that visitors should apply “90 days in advance.”  Four items were required for the visa:  a 2 x 2” photo, a photo of the photo page of the passport, an itinerary, and a bank statement showing that the applicant had at least a minimum amount of $$ to ensure a return home.  While that sounds easy enough, the actuality was pure chaos.  My application was returned with a request for a better photo of my passport page, so I sent back the original photo which was then approved and I now have my official 10-year visa.  John’s application, however, was like most of our fellow passengers.  First he was required to resubmit three of the original four items (which we did), and then they wrote to tell us that his date of birth was different on the application and on his passport.  What this turned out to mean was that his passport DOB was 23-02-XXXX, while on the application we had written 02-23-XXXX.  The drawback, however, was that we had no access to make that correction.  Because of the time zone of their “Help Center” (somewhere in Eastern  Europe?), there were several midnight phone calls which were only somewhat helpful, in that the “helpers” couldn’t do anything but file a “complaint” about the problem.

I guess they finally got that solved, but then they wrote telling us that a letter explaining the situation could NOT have the Brazilian reference number in the subject line but it must be in the body of the letter along with the citizenship of the applicant.  What???!!!!  OK, letter sent in requested format and John’s status is now . . . “Pending.”    What now?  Holland America Line has paid for two Brazilian visa “experts” to be on board until we arrive on their shores, so it should be an interesting week or so as those still without visas (including John) will be called in to expedite the process.

This afternoon is an event called “Block Party” that Captain Friso began last year, At 4:00, everyone is invited to come out of their room into the hallway, where officers and crew will come through to pour wine and provide snacks, hoping to allow shipboard neighbors to get to know each other.  It’s a great idea and we made several new friends near last year’s cabin.  Very few passengers turn down free wine, so the hallways are crowded.  We’re looking forward to doing it all over again!

So how do we spend our days?  If we’re not in port, John is atop the ship playing pickle ball all day (even though he has a rotator cuff injury) and I’m either doing Duolingo French lessons, reading on the balcony, or writing my blog.   I’d love to be in the gym (as I have always been on previous cruises), but I have a tear in my meniscus and my doctor says, “Rest and time,” so my physical activities are limited.  Oh well, it will get better - or so she says.

P. S.  The block party was a roaring success.  We met both Carolyns who are our neighbors and various other new friends.  The wine was freely poured and the snacks (olives, chips/salsa, and peanuts) were a nice addition.  Can’t wait to get this show on the road.

P. P. S.  We received an email late last night telling us that the Brazilian government has now agreed to postpone their visa requirement until April 10, 2024.  What a hassle it has been, but John's happy he can now go ashore.  

I guess you were sitting at table 66?

• Like 3
  • Haha 8

I'm so happy that you are blogging again from another World Cruise. 
You always manage to have such good times on board, participating in activities, and just enjoying. AND you have some great times in port having new adventures! 

And we at home get to read all about it. 
Wonderful for us! 

Have a great cruise. 

• Like 4

Aloha.  Love your style of writing and hoping you have a wonderful voyage. We have been blessed to see the world and also sailed in the Zuiderdam. We love HAL sailing with them since the 1970s. Looking forward to your blogs. All the best.

1/5/24 - At Sea en route to Tobago

For those of you who have been kind enough to read my scribblings before, you know that I just LOVE sea days.  There’s nothing or everything to do and everyone has personal choices.

For example, there’s one very nice couple who puts a towel across a Lido table and plays cribbage or reads much of the day.  As I’ve already mentioned, our interests lie in the areas of pickle ball, reading, and French lessons, with the occasional lecture thrown in.

A typical day for us begins with a visit to the coffee shop in the Crow’s Nest, since I can’t go to the gym.  John has an Americano, since he calls the ship’s free coffee “swill” and I have a cappuccino.  We take them down to the outdoor Lido (our favorite table is on the starboard side) where we sip, watch the ocean, and chat with friends and crew members. Then it’s time for breakfast, after which we go our separate ways, John to PB, and I’m off to either read or write.  I’m a creature of habit, so on the old Amsterdam (before HAL sold it to Fred Thompson Lines), I used to go to the library (now THAT was a library), sit at the long marble mosaic table at the end of the triple room, and write my blog.  On the Zuiderdam, we do have a brand-spanking-new library, but instead of a nice long work table, there are small groupings of chairs with a small table in the middle.  It would be great for a cocktail party, but I really miss my Amsterdam table.  My new spot is at one of the two desks in our cabin with a lovely view out at the water.  I guess I’ll stop whining at this point.

No matter what your interests, there is no doubt something for you on board.  Many passengers love the daily presentations in the World Stage, today’s being The Deep Blue:  Life Below the Water’s Edge.  Often there are local experts who speak about ports or just things in general.  One of our favorites was an astronomer whose lectures explained the night sky and who then organized a nighttime sky-viewing from the ship’s top deck.

There are all kinds of classes:  dancing, creative writing, exercise (tai chi, abs, yoga, sunrise stretch - and on and on), tech, and so many more.  Our friend Bonita is teaching a class in how to play mahjong as well as Zumba, renamed Exercise Dance to avoid copyright issues.  There’s bridge, trivia, watercolor class, and even coloring for adults.  I can’t imagine anyone being bored.  The daily program called, creatively “The Daily” takes two full pages to list all the day’s activities.

If you like music, either for listening or dancing, there is a variety in the evenings.  You might go to the Rolling Stone Lounge for rock and roll, Billboard Onboard for dueling pianos, the Ocean Bar where Third Avenue West plays light jazz, or the Explorer’s Lounge, which has replaced Lincoln Center State with classical music.  If you like music, there’s bound to be something for you.

The evening’s main entertainment in the World Stage seems already much improved over last year.  Last night we enjoyed Camila Andrade, a  talented Brazilian singer who sang jazz, pop, and Brazilian standards.  And boy, could she dance.  Tonight we have a British musician named Chris Ritchie, whose show is called “The Music in my Life.”  Our “Entertainment Guide,” which we receive every two weeks, gives us a heads-up.  The first issue lists instrumentalists, a comedian, a movie, the Zuiderdam Singers and Dancers, and a local show the evening we’re in Santarem, Brazil.

So. . . if you’re worried that you’d be bored on a 128-day world cruise, think again.  There is so much to do that the problem is not “What shall I do?” but “How shall I fit it all in?”

• Like 16
  • Thanks 3

29 minutes ago, Johnny B said:

How did you know?

Inside information, I would demand that table back since you were assigned to it by HAL, it's a great table and I would ask Presty to, at least, give you a bottle of Champagne as compensation.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 6

48 minutes ago, Johnny B said:

Many passengers love the daily presentations in the World Stage, today’s being The Deep Blue:  Life Below the Water’s Edge. 

Can't believe they are reshowing this again on a GWC. At least it's filling for the first day at sea. 

48 minutes ago, Johnny B said:

Often there are local experts who speak about ports or just things in general.  One of our favorites was an astronomer whose lectures explained the night sky and who then organized a nighttime sky-viewing from the ship’s top deck.

Yes. Same. I still have his thumb drive that he gave us to map the sky. Hope you have clear skies and following seas. 

Thank you so much for taking us on your world adventure. You are always so positive and grateful that you are able to go on another grand adventure. Looking forward to reading along. 

• Like 1

This morning I was happy to see your WC blog appear under a different CC name.  I've enjoyed following your adventures in the past, and look forward to reading about your adventures this year.  I hope the knee heals well and doesn't slow you down too much.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Sir PMP said:

Inside information, I would demand that table back since you were assigned to it by HAL, it's a great table and I would ask Presty to, at least, give you a bottle of Champagne as compensation.

The Presidents Club Police monitor everything lol 😂 

• Like 2
  • Haha 8

January 6, 2024 - En route to Tobago

The best way to start a world cruise, I am convinced, is three days at sea.  There is luggage to empty and put away, old friends to greet, activities to plan, and jet lag to overcome (for some of us).  Our friends Greg and Heo flew in from Sydney four days before the cruise, and they’re still having a bit of “lag.”  Those who haven’t been aboard the Zuiderdam have a ship to explore and figure out if they’re going the right or wrong direction.  In November, when we enjoyed a 7-day cruise on the Koningsdam, we went the wrong way more than once, even though we’d sailed on her before.  It’s just a really good way to begin our 128 days.  Tomorrow is Tobago, and I think we’re all now ready to face the ports, some more willingly than others.

This morning John and I attended a lecture on Tobago, presented by Kimberley, our Cruise and Travel Director, and boy, were we impressed.  We were used to our friend Barbara Haeni for several years, whose title varied, but most recently was Port Lecturer.  Barbara had been everywhere, knew everything about it, and happily shared her knowledge with anyone who asked.  She could give you directions to a shop in Singapore that sold Chinese attire for the next formal night on board or to a coffee shop in Naples that made “the best cappuccino ever.”  After she retired, we really noticed a difference, simply because the individuals in that role didn’t have the experience.  Now the job of Cruise Director has been combined with what was the Port Lecturer, which I’m sure is an enormous challenge for any individual.  Kimberley may not have been everywhere, but she certainly does her homework and introduced a full World Stage audience to tomorrow’s port, making it informational and interesting.  We gained knowledge (without a sales pitch for shore excursions) and got pretty darned excited about tomorrow’s visit.

After lunch, it was time for John to head up to pickleball and for me to head to the Explorer’s Lounge for the “Booklover’s Meetup.”  The room was full, and Kimberley (who ran the “meetup”) gave everyone a chance to recommend a book that they were currently reading or had read in the past and could highly recommend.  Meanwhile, she was taking notes on the books, and she will type up a list of them, along with brief summaries and reviews, and deliver the list to each of the attendees.  I don’t know when Kimberley sleeps!  It turned out that the woman next to whom I was sitting is a published author, and while she spoke, I looked her up on Amazon.  I had expected a book which I might not enjoy, but my “flawless first impression” led me to a long list of her novels, most of which sounded incredibly interesting.  A man sitting in the back, who told us he only came because he saw his wife sitting there, turned out to have published several non-fiction books on birds and birding, including a 2-volume, 1000-page book on the evolution of birds in Texas from European settlement to today.  It may not be my cup of tea, but I am impressed.

This evening is the “Captain’s Welcome,” an event which begins every world cruise.  so that we may meet 18 of the ship’s officers.  Champagne will be poured so that we may toast the beginning of our Grand World Voyage.  The World Stage will be jam packed with passengers who are excited to begin this great adventure, no matter how many world (or other) cruises they’ve been on.  It is always such an honor to share in the adventure of a world cruise, seeing some new places and re-visiting destinations which have become old friends.  Of course on this cruise, because of the current world situation, some of the ports have already been cancelled and others are in jeopardy, but as long as we’re on board, we’re quite happy.

You may know (or not) that our three Israeli ports have been cancelled - for obvious reasons, and now there is some question about the Red Sea and Suez Canal.  This is certainly a “wait and see” cruise, but we’re still excited to be a part of it.   

• Like 17