Cabins made up once a day?

Now that cabins are only made up once a day, do tips reflect this change?  Or they carging for twice a day?  Also, do we get a choice if we want the cabin done in the morning or evening?

1 hour ago, rucruisn2 said:

Now that cabins are only made up once a day, do tips reflect this change?  Or they carging for twice a day?  Also, do we get a choice if we want the cabin done in the morning or evening? 

I don’t think the tips have changed for the cabin stewards because they are now doing more cabins. And yes
You will have the choice of morning or evening 

service.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, joe/jack said:

You will have the choice of morning or evening 

service.

i never had any choice on all of my past cruises. it was whenever the steward was available. sometimes it was morning, sometimes it was evening. its a mix bag

i also been on cruises where i never saw the steward at all

• Like 4

5 hours ago, rucruisn2 said:

2 hours ago, shof515 said:

i never had any choice on all of my past cruises. it was whenever the steward was available. sometimes it was morning, sometimes it was evening. its a mix bag

i also been on cruises where i never saw the steward at all

The "mandatory" gratuities have been increased a couple of times since the restart when Carnival switched to once-a-day cabin servicing.  So that answers that.

I was always given the morning/afternoon/both option on my Carnival cruises from about 2017 until the shutdown.  I wasn't given this option on my Carnival cruise in November.

I've never not seen my steward on any of my cruises.  Sometimes I only see them once or twice (on non-Carnival cruises)

• Like 1

On a few cruises since the restart the steward told me when he would be available to clean the room. We weren't really given a choice. I'm sure if I pressed I could have gotten him to relent but it wasn't a big deal to me, it really doesn't matter when they clean the room.

You can adjust gratuities as you see fit - either by adjusting the rate at guest services, or by removing the automatic gratuities altogether and tipping in cash, but Carnival has continued to cut service and increase their suggested daily gratuity rate.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, rucruisn2 said:

Tips have never said includes twice a day steward. Dont say period. 

Just another tipping thread? Do I have your all permission to remove tips, I'm cheap. Too cheap to feel like paying the auto tips. Tempting as the tipped amount constantly is going up. 

I've got bills that lsl are going up this week way past any normal amount. Got my insurance, went from 1100 to $1487. Almost 50%.. are you kidding me? Just what I wanted to do right now change insurance. Got my HOA payment and it says $680. Again I'm like am I seeing the correctly. Maybe from $475 to $500, add another $25 like they been doing. 475 to 680???

I suspect carnival is doing the best they can to get back to making a profit. It's not just cruises going up though, its everything. 

• Like 8

Just in the last 6 months we have been on Sunshine in August and MG a couple weeks ago.  Both cruises we were asked for our cabin service preference (morning or evening).  We always choose evening (we also have fresh ice for the cabin brought in for drinks in the evening) this is more than enough for us (have never used the 2x's a day service even back in the day, no need). 

For us, the gratuities go well beyond cabin service alone.    

• Like 6

On our last we were told by our cabin steward that we were his VIP.  HE as what “time” we wanted our room cleaned.  We knew he would prefer mornings when he had help and said we were fine with that.  All of this has nothing to do with tips and we do not have to beat that dead horse.

• Like 7
  • Haha 2

41 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

On our last we were told by our cabin steward that we were his VIP.  HE as what “time” we wanted our room cleaned.  We knew he would prefer mornings when he had help and said we were fine with that.  All of this has nothing to do with tips and we do not have to beat that dead horse.

Except the OP added the tip comment

8 hours ago, Drazil65 said:

Just in the last 6 months we have been on Sunshine in August and MG a couple weeks ago.  Both cruises we were asked for our cabin service preference (morning or evening).  We always choose evening (we also have fresh ice for the cabin brought in for drinks in the evening) this is more than enough for us (have never used the 2x's a day service even back in the day, no need). 

For us, the gratuities go well beyond cabin service alone.    

Agreed

we always take care of bar staff. 
as well as the dining room staff

These people work there A off 

and live in difficult conditions for

months at a time 

Hats off to them👍

• Like 4

13 hours ago, mz-s said:

On a few cruises since the restart the steward told me when he would be available to clean the room. We weren't really given a choice.

😳. That’s insane.  In 32 cruises I’ve always been given a choice.  In fact, I ask evening turndown and for ice twice a day.  Never have I ever been told no.  

I ask for extra pillow, an extra blanket also.

I tell them no towel animals.  

I hand them a list with my cabin number and my preferences.  

I’m going to start tipping extra in advance in addition to my normal after. 🤷‍♀️.   They seem surprised when I seek them out afterwards to tip them extra.  

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

We haven’t been asked when we want our cabin cleaned but the first day we always tell the steward we want it done in the evenings. We like to sleep in on vacation so we always just tell them we want evenings. It’s never been an issue. 

Edited by haehaehaley
  • Like 2

Daily tip amount was not adjusted by Carnival for the reduction in stateroom service. The industry needs to revisit the entire tipping system. It is out of control. A family of four is paying close to $450 a week in service charges/gratuities. On some cruise lines, it exceeds $500. It is just off the hook, especially in light of the decline in service being experienced. The whole system is beyond broken and needs rejiggered.

• Like 7

21 hours ago, Elaine5715 said:

Except the OP added the tip comment

And I was replying to the op.  It has been beat to death.  Hence the beating a dead horse comment.  

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, luv2kroooz said:

Daily tip amount was not adjusted by Carnival for the reduction in stateroom service. The industry needs to revisit the entire tipping system. It is out of control. A family of four is paying close to $450 a week in service charges/gratuities. On some cruise lines, it exceeds $500. It is just off the hook, especially in light of the decline in service being experienced. The whole system is beyond broken and needs rejiggered.

It certainly does add up for family of four.  But if it was to change your out of pocket wouldn’t change, the price of the cruise would go up.  If the crew doesn’t make the same money they would have a difficult time staffing.  Your out of pocket may go even higher as I believe there are corporate tax benefits for it being a gratuity.  If they pay their employees a different way it could cost us the consumer even more.  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, john91498 said:

It's gotten so bad that on our last 7 day cruise, our room was only done 3 times. In all fairness though, we told our steward if he had time to do our room...

Moral of the story: be careful what you ask for.

• Like 4

I was not starting a tipping rant, I simply had a question.  If I always tipped X$'s and had my stateroom done twice a day, how does it compute that I am now getting the service once a day and still tipping what I did for twice a day?  Also, I prefer the cabin done in the evening, I was asking if this was ok.  My recent cruises have been on Celebrity the cabin steward came and met us and asked if we wanted morning or evening service and we got evening service.  We always saw him in the hall in AM and PM and could ask for anything we wanted.  We are cruising on Carnival and wanted to know what to expect.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, rucruisn2 said:

I prefer the cabin done in the evening, I was asking if this was ok.  My recent cruises have been on Celebrity the cabin steward came and met us and asked if we wanted morning or evening service and we got evening service.  We always saw him in the hall in AM and PM and could ask for anything we wanted.  

Interesting. The fact that you were asked about morning or evening service on Celebrity is news to me. On all of my Celebrity cruises (granted, the last one was in March 2023), I've never been asked this; they always provided cleaning in the morning and turndown in the evening without it being discussed with my steward. I haven't seen such discussed on their message board here among the many things they have to discuss that have changed there. I wonder if it's localized or merely very recent.

Posted (edited)

I prefer the cabin done in the evening, I was asking if this was ok.  

We have never had an issue with requesting evening service (our preference even when there was 2x a day service) from our cabin steward.  Also, never an issue with meeting with him/her at some point on day one, if you need to speak with them and have not met them in person yet, they typically leave their card on desk in cabin so you can call their extension.  We were on MG a couple weeks ago and saw our lead steward everyday in hallway at some point and I would say this is our normal experience regarding that.   

Edited by Drazil65
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, rucruisn2 said:

My recent cruises have been on Celebrity the cabin steward came and met us and asked if we wanted morning or evening service and we got evening service. 

but you weren't upset with Celebrity for charging a higher than Carnival gratuity and still providing you with just one service a day?

On 1/6/2024 at 2:54 AM, rucruisn2 said:

Now that cabins are only made up once a day, do tips reflect this change?  Or they charging for twice a day? 

You are misunderstanding my question.  I know for a fact that Celebrity switched to servicing cabins once a day and they asked us if we wanted morning or evening for our cabin to be done.  I know this because we took 4 Celebrity cruises in 2023 and this was standard, except for maybe suites.  We were in a suite on one of the cruises and don't remember if it was once or twice.  My question is do we get a choice of morning or evening?