Cabins made up once a day?

5 hours ago, rucruisn2 said:

I was not starting a tipping rant, I simply had a question.  If I always tipped X$'s and had my stateroom done twice a day, how does it compute that I am now getting the service once a day and still tipping what I did for twice a day?  

the cabin stewards never did a full clean twice a day. They did a full cleaning service in the morning or afternoon and then a turn down in the evening. So yes, they are performing somewhat less work for you. But certainly not half the work.

• Like 1

I just got off the Panorama on Sunday and on day 1 the steward asked if I wanted morning or evening service.  I said evening and that's what he did.  Hope this answers your question. 

Edited by mistycruiser

On 1/6/2024 at 2:54 AM, rucruisn2 said:

Now that cabins are only made up once a day, do tips reflect this change?  Or they carging for twice a day?  Also, do we get a choice if we want the cabin done in the morning or evening?

I don't think anyone misunderstood anything. You specifically asked about the gratuities. The grats are not charged/based on how many times your cabin gets service, so no, they are not reduced.  

Yes, you can request evening service. Our stewards have asked us which we preferred, morning or evening.

7 minutes ago, Pyrate13 said:

I don't think anyone misunderstood anything. You specifically asked about the gratuities. The grats are not charged/based on how many times your cabin gets service, so no, they are not reduced.  

Yes, you can request evening service. Our stewards have asked us which we preferred, morning or evening.

Carnival does charge more gratuities for suites, so in a way they do charge based upon service. Even though they don't do anything extra at all for suites anymore.

3 hours ago, mz-s said:

Carnival does charge more gratuities for suites, so in a way they do charge based upon service. Even though they don't do anything extra at all for suites anymore.

Yes, but the OP wasn't asking about suite services. Well, at least they never mentioned it. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, mz-s said:

Suites are larger, so by definition they are doing more. In my experience, suites are ready when you board, so that is extra.

• Like 1

On 1/6/2024 at 1:54 AM, rucruisn2 said:

Now that cabins are only made up once a day, do tips reflect this change?  Or they carging for twice a day?  Also, do we get a choice if we want the cabin done in the morning or evening?

Gratuities were always based on per day, not per service, so no change.

We have no problem getting ice twice a day, or other reasonable requests.

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

Gratuities were always based on per day, not per service, so no change.

We have no problem getting ice twice a day, or other reasonable requests.

True, they respond to requests via phone most of the day.  

Edited by Elaine5715

On 1/9/2024 at 7:58 AM, rucruisn2 said:

I was not starting a tipping rant, I simply had a question.  If I always tipped X$'s and had my stateroom done twice a day, how does it compute that I am now getting the service once a day and still tipping what I did for twice a day?  Also, I prefer the cabin done in the evening, I was asking if this was ok.  My recent cruises have been on Celebrity the cabin steward came and met us and asked if we wanted morning or evening service and we got evening service.  We always saw him in the hall in AM and PM and could ask for anything we wanted.  We are cruising on Carnival and wanted to know what to expect.

it probably equates the same as hotels on land where room cleaning was done once a day pre covid and now are on demand or every other day but the rates for rooms never decreased. If your preference is evening service then have it done in the evening.  Myself i dont require someone to turn down my sheets for me so i go for morning service.

36 minutes ago, kdr69 said:

it probably equates the same as hotels on land where room cleaning was done once a day pre covid and now are on demand or every other day but the rates for rooms never decreased. If your preference is evening service then have it done in the evening.  Myself i dont require someone to turn down my sheets for me so i go for morning service.

In my experience even if you do ask for evening service on Carnival, they no longer turn down the bed. They make it up obviously but don't turn it down anymore.

On 1/11/2024 at 8:56 AM, mz-s said:

In my experience even if you do ask for evening service on Carnival, they no longer turn down the bed. They make it up obviously but don't turn it down anymore.

apologies said turn down meant made up

• Like 2

On 1/6/2024 at 5:41 AM, shof515 said:

i never had any choice on all of my past cruises. it was whenever the steward was available. sometimes it was morning, sometimes it was evening. its a mix bag

i also been on cruises where i never saw the steward at all

A few years back on the Valor, our steward never introduced himself and he never spoke to us.  In fact, we weren't sure which steward was ours.  Our room was always tended to.  He came in and out like a ninja.

On 1/6/2024 at 9:55 AM, firefly333 said:

Tips have never said includes twice a day steward. Dont say period. 

Just another tipping thread? Do I have your all permission to remove tips, I'm cheap. Too cheap to feel like paying the auto tips. Tempting as the tipped amount constantly is going up. 

I've got bills that lsl are going up this week way past any normal amount. Got my insurance, went from 1100 to $1487. Almost 50%.. are you kidding me? Just what I wanted to do right now change insurance. Got my HOA payment and it says $680. Again I'm like am I seeing the correctly. Maybe from $475 to $500, add another $25 like they been doing. 475 to 680???

I suspect carnival is doing the best they can to get back to making a profit. It's not just cruises going up though, its everything. 

I have had an inrease in $ in virtually every service I have this past year. Things are tough all over.

Edited by Butterbean1000
  • Like 1

So good.  We prefer evening service to our cabin, after showers for dinner and such.  Also don't like to feel rushed to get out in the morning because someone might be waiting to get our cabin done.

• Like 1