Such Negativity-Anything Positive to Say?

22 minutes ago, RichYak said:

Celebrity Cruises - We're not a dumpster fire™

Kind of sounds like: 

Celebrity Cruises - You will not starve™

Anyways I did lose 3 pounds on my last cruise.  Perhaps they should team up with Weight Watchers  🤣

It is all about expectations ...

Edited by NMTraveller
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, bEwAbG said:

A lot of people are upset at how far the Celebrity product has fallen in the last year.  If you haven't experienced it, then you really won't have that as a comparison.  I think it comes down to pricing these days.  Will you be ok if you pay a premium price but get a similar or lesser experience versus a cheaper ship?  Are you ok with Celebrity advertising something today that they might take away tomorrow?

I think they have beautiful newer ships but the product no longer matches the price they're charging. 

The products almost everywhere have increased in price.  Try groceries!

The simple facts are:

Cruising has changed since Covid.  The good old days are exactly that and are gone.

Second, Celebrity and the rest are selling out.  Supply and demand sets the price.  Similar experiences at other lines are priced at equally high levels.

DW and I have reduced our cruising and now book cruises looking at the itinerary,  not just at Celebrity.  Other lines all had things we found to be great and others where Celebrity still in our opinion do it better.

The food, FWIW,  has declined on Princess, Holland and Norwegian; but Celebrity probably a bit better in comparison  

• Like 1

Just got back from NCL Escape cruise right before Christmas and we did the Apex back in May. While food quality has definitely dropped on these two lines (and most others as well), Celebrity still better than most in my opinion. On a positive note, to us nothing beats Celebrity's Martini Bar!!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Jamietravelstheworld said:

I am a very experienced cruiser but have my first Celebrity cruise booked for January 2025 on the Edge. Reading the posts here, everything is so negative. Should I cancel? Or are the people with positive things to say just not posting? No cruise line is perfect, and every cruise has made cuts due to budget, but is it so extreme on Celebrity. My favorite cruise line is Azamara and I often cruise solo. I also like Oceania but find there's not a lot to do on the ships. I like Princess too, but they don't do enough to engage the solo travelers or help them meet each other.

@Jamietravelstheworld, my personal take is to learn from the wealth of information available on this board. 

While some people see negativity in the posts here, I see passionate people who are generous sharing their experiences and knowledge.

I use everything I learn here to improve my experiences when I'm onboard.

I'd say, don't cancel your cruise; go and form your own opinion! If you don't go, you'll never know for sure how well Celebrity fits your needs. Wish you a wonderful cruise!

• Like 6

9 hours ago, Jamietravelstheworld said:

I am a very experienced cruiser but have my first Celebrity cruise booked for January 2025 on the Edge. Reading the posts here, everything is so negative. Should I cancel? Or are the people with positive things to say just not posting? No cruise line is perfect, and every cruise has made cuts due to budget, but is it so extreme on Celebrity. My favorite cruise line is Azamara and I often cruise solo. I also like Oceania but find there's not a lot to do on the ships. I like Princess too, but they don't do enough to engage the solo travelers or help them meet each other.

I enjoy reading and respect others experiences and opinions. Positive and negative. Whether it's about a cruise line, ship, itinerary,  etc. But we wouldn't book or book based on those opinions and experiences.

• Like 1

Over the past 23 years I have probably always been very positive about Celebrity.   We have sailed Exclusively with Celebrity for all these years.   The reason we stayed with them was they had a Good Product, Good Food, Good Service and recognized and rewarded their guests in their Captain's Club Program. 

My last live review wasn't negative but I did point out some things that have pushed us to the point we took our first Non-Celebrity Cruise in September.    After our month cruise on Celebrity we ended up booking one Celebrity Cruise and have booked 3 Cruises in the past 2 weeks on other lines.    Have we deserted Celebrity?   No  but they have lost an exclusive Suit Passenger.

Their main failure to us is that they have Diluted 100% of the value of being a Zenith Member that travels in Retreat.   If one looks as the definition of a Loyalty Program they have Failed.   Just my opinion and we finally decided to talk with our feet. 

Our displeasure was enhanced on our last Edge Cruise.   The main issue we had was in Luminae which we have always loved.   The food was often cold in the middle while sitting on a plate so hot you could hardly touch.   Chicken and Fish which have always been perfect were delivered so over cooked we didn't eat it.   A carbonara which was excellent on the first cruise was delivered like a big glob of pasta starch on the next cruise.  Also on 3-4 occasion dishes were delivered with one or more of the components missing while the other persons meal was perfect. 

These cruises also were during the cruise when suddenly they raised wine prices while at the same time being out of about 40% of the wines.. I know Supply Chain Issues..  In all cases if Celebrity had been upfront and transparent would not have caused such an uproar

On the positive side the Chef did ask if he could make us something special for dinner and rewarded our request with a beautiful Steak and Guinness Pie.  He also surprised me with getting Chef B's permission to make me a Pistachio Raspberry Vascheron

We will be on an S-Class B2B in April Sydney to Vancouver and hoping they will win our hearts again.   Even if they do  we are no longer dedicated and will be choosing our future cruises by destination and directing our searches on smaller ships on the more luxury lines.

• Like 8

I think the biggest difference between pre and post Covid cruise experience sailing , in a non suite, is the level of experience of the staff and the number of staff 

All cruise lines lost staff during Covid ,

Celebrity has add two larger ships so their less staff doing more work , 

The staff they have are hard working but less experienced and less of them

Also people , I believe are nastier to staff , and less likely to follow common sense rules making it harder for staff 

Edited by Ex-Airbalancer
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, Jamietravelstheworld said:

Hi Jamie,

Celebrity is a fairly good cruise line , unfortunately, like many other companies they are not offering as much of a quality experience as they once did. Blame covid , high interest rates ect.... it is what it is.

That said, they still offer a pretty good product for the price , a lot of enjoyable things to do and pretty good food ( that is included in the cruise fare ).

Hope you enjoy your cruise, only you will be able to determine if Celebrity works for you after you have taken a cruise with them.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

directing our searches on smaller ships on the more luxury lines.

Good morning Jim...by comparison, how was the dining and wine quality/offerings on the small ship (not Celebrity) you recently sailed through Canadian waters?

The other thing to keep in mind is that Celebrity keeps on raising it's fees faster than the rate of inflation.  When I booked my cruise room service was included and good wines were in the PBP.  When I sailed room service was a charge and every good wine was an upcharge.  As a result I ended up paying an additional $400.  Sure these are optional,  but do I go on a cruise and not have room service and wine?  No.

Edited by NMTraveller
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

Frankly, i had to think about this one for awhile.  Gonna rant

Negatives

Cost 

Service 

choices

All cannot be blamed strictly on Celebrity taking advantage of their loyal customers. 

We had a real windfall in 2 directions.

First interest rates, inflation and unemployment were low thus, they were able to offer deals.  

Before and during Covid. Prices were really low in comparison to today. All kinds of changes started to be implemented in order to survive. 

However once Covid was over people started to travel like wild fire doing at 100 MPH with their hair on fire. Some had FCC from many cruises and could now afford to move up to Suites and thus competition for a limited number of cabins. This happened at the very time when cost began to climb and anybody could get their choice of a job in the service industry. This is world wide. 

Things will change…. Why???  We personally just cant justify spending 3 times as much for less of a product. Thus we have slowed our future bookings down. It sounds like many have started doing the same. 

So, until inflation/interest rates and unemployment start to return to pre Covid levels, Celebrity as well all the cruise lines/airlines restaurants will struggle to offer better service and cost. 

We have taken 3 cruises since post Covid and all has not been doom and gloom. Crew has been nice and when we tip well (throughout the cruise) the experience gets better because the servers who are the real deal smile more and feel appreciated.  This can be experienced in any class of cabin. 

Celebrity services may never return to the once level that we all came to love but the product is still as good if not better A deal than we see on land. 

Time will tell but competition has a strange way of settling these kinds of issues. 

Yes we may try some other cruise venues but Celebrity is still our choice. 

I know it was a long rant. 😊🤪

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Went to Mexico on Summit last weekend.

Pool Grill French Fries--perfect, best I've had in years, crunchy on outside, soft inside, actually tasted like potatoes.  My sister and I stood in line for them and ignored all the burgers etc. and just walked away with a plate of fries--totally worth it. Actually the MDR hash browns were excellent, too.  Celebrity seems to have a way with fried potatoes.

Rendezvous Bar--"one more...for the road" was an amazing cocktail, one of the best I've ever had, it actually seemed to have layers somehow--one taste going in that became something else by the time it slid down your throat and something else again when it lingered on your tongue. Wish I had discovered it before the last day. Great cocktails in that bar.

Don’t let the negativity on CC affect your decision to go on a cruise. Years ago I almost cancelled my second ever cruise because of the negativity on here, thankfully I didn’t and had a great time, and have had a great time on the many cruises since. I only use this site for insight on what is currently happening on current cruises and I take it with a grain of salt.  Enjoy YOUR vacation. 

• Like 7

9 hours ago, horseymike said:

That said, they still offer a pretty good product for the price , a lot of enjoyable things to do and pretty good food ( that is included in the cruise fare ).

I absolutely agree. 

And I think most of the negative posts and reviews come from people who think they paid too much and are unhappy with what they got. Sure, this can be true for expensive cruises, Celebrity has an enormous price range, definitely bigger than others. But if you book a Celebrity cruise for a price you find attractive, there is almost zero chance that you leave the ship unhappy. Especially as a first timer, don´t book a super expensive cruise in a top category and expect you are a real Celebrity now and been treated in that way😄 

• Like 2

On 1/13/2024 at 12:10 PM, Jamietravelstheworld said:

Unsure of the negativity myself.*

*I live under the rubric that life ought to be enjoyed to the best of a given circumstance.

Contrary to the grievance industry that you may find in this forum, which seemingly can produce an ad hominem attack for the slightest perceived offense, I wouldn't take it for more value than you might a grain of salt.

Granted, I've only sailed Edge class, and double occupancy, but the experience has been superb each time.**

**I would surmise that cabin class might influence outcome, in which case simply pay for what you read is likely to afford what you really want and value.

Edge class ships are wonderful. The prior generation ships, as you can research and view for yourself, look woefully outdated (and priced accordingly compared to Edge class).

It's a vacation. Who can have a problem with that? 😀

• Like 3

1 minute ago, buncosquad said:

Unsure of the negativity myself.*

*I live under the rubric that life ought to be enjoyed to the best of a given circumstance.

Contrary to the grievance industry that you may find in this forum, which seemingly can produce an ad hominem attack for the slightest perceived offense, I wouldn't take it for more value than you might a grain of salt.

Granted, I've only sailed Edge class, and double occupancy, but the experience has been superb each time.**

**I would surmise that cabin class might influence outcome, in which case simply pay for what you read is likely to afford what you really want and value.

Edge class ships are wonderful. The prior generation ships, as you can research and view for yourself, look woefully outdated (and priced accordingly compared to Edge class).

It's a vacation. Who can have a problem with that? 😀

I have yet to sail on an edge class ship , my wife and I enjoy walking on the promenade deck which is not an option on the edge class ships. That said we have cruised on the s class and m class on numerous occasions and very much enjoyed our cruises.

Last but not least , there will be complaints from many folks consistently on these boards ,

However the name of the boards is “ cruise critic . “ 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, horseymike said:

I have yet to sail on an edge class ship , my wife and I enjoy walking on the promenade deck which is not an option on the edge class ships. That said we have cruised on the s class and m class on numerous occasions and very much enjoyed our cruises.

Last but not least , there will be complaints from many folks consistently on these boards ,

However the name of the boards is “ cruise critic . “ 🤣

Which my caveats alluded to, and for which this forum excels.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Oceangoer2 said:

Good morning Jim...by comparison, how was the dining and wine quality/offerings on the small ship (not Celebrity) you recently sailed through Canadian waters?

We were sailing on Ponant.   I don't drink alcohol but Iain was pleased with it and found it of good quality.    Like all cruise lines they have an extensive list of  wine by the bottle.   Unlike most main stream cruise lines.   All the wines are included in your fare.    Being a French Line of course all of the lines were french.    They had a selection of 6-7 and the waiters just constantly come by and makes sure glasses are kept full.   Everyone on the ship has the equivalent of of a drink package that includes beer, wine and well drinks.   Iain upgraded to the premium package because he enjoys Grey Goose.   He also had the ability to order certain wines by the glass.   He is normally a Chardonnay drinker but found a French Rose that he enjoyed and normally had that with dinner.   He never ordered any of the higher priced wines.

The food is totally different and would put even Murano to shame.   Foie Gras cooked to perfection, Caviar, Filet of Lamb,  Venison more tender and tasty than any steak I've ever had.    Portions are on the small size but that is a perfect portion for us.    Many that order steaks that a 1/2 pound or more would be disappointed.   I won't even go into the french pastries and deserts.   One day for lunch in addition to the luncheon they had Alaska King Crab and Lobster tails.  

• Like 3

Reading this thread is always a delight.    Maybe Celebrity is doing exactly the right thing for their business plan.   Maximize revenue and attract the new generation of cruisers. 

Since the new generation can be excited by having a means to quickly hit Elite or move from Elite to Elite Plus they love the Loyalty plan.   They are comfortable with the changes and don't feel they have lost things like OBC's, Free Gratuities and aren't comparing the prices of things like wine and drinks or even the price of the Package to a couple years ago.   

They know many of us that have been their Loyal Customers for 20+ years are aging out and will be going away.   To me it is just an invitation to look back at all the memories I've had and move on -   I still like the product but in the last year I can't say I love it.  

I hope their strategy works and I wish them and the new generation of cruise all the best. 

From my marketing background I just wonder what it will cost them to replace a 23 year exclusive Celebrity customer that sails in suites 3 or 4 months of the year.   I have a feeling the next  generation of cruisers will not be dedicated to a single cruise line and will jump ship at time like fees on a dog. 

• Like 8

This is cruise critic, a balanced review should have pros and cons, I’ll focus on the cons

Simply put, people aren’t seeing the value they used to

-Price…X’s parent company, RCG, openly brags during their earnings call that they can keep raising the pricing (for context, way above inflation) and bookings don’t suffer

-Food…Some food items were cut while others were downgraded, many won’t notice or care

MDR sides…Most MDR entrees now come with a scoop of mashed potatoes which looks a little disappointing

-Food temp…95% of the time, we have had hot enough food, we’re not the plate needs to be sizzling type but those who are claim odds have increased of receiving food not hot enough to their liking

-Food service…There can just be long waits to get a table and receive your food

-Bar Service…Can be long waits during peak times as I experienced this first hand with a 20 minute wait on the beyond this past spring.  Some claim they cut bartenders

-Alcohol availability…Name brand liquor can be out of stock with either a house replacement or no replacement at all…Also, Wine by the glass out of stock or they tell you despite what the menu says, you can only buy the entire bottle

• Like 1

On 1/14/2024 at 4:42 AM, Ex-Airbalancer said:

I think the biggest difference between pre and post Covid cruise experience sailing , in a non suite, is the level of experience of the staff and the number of staff 

All cruise lines lost staff during Covid ,

Celebrity has add two larger ships so their less staff doing more work , 

The staff they have are hard working but less experienced and less of them

Also people , I believe are nastier to staff , and less likely to follow common sense rules making it harder for staff 

Regarding Celebrity's understaffing issue I believe that is by design and a cost saving measure.  They try to save every  penny they can at the expense of the product.

All of the hotels pre cruise/ post cruise were fully staffed and provided exemplary service.

There is plenty of labor available in SE Asia and many would love to work on the ship.  Sure it takes training of new people but Celebrity has known about this staffing requirement for 5 or 6 years.

Edited by NMTraveller
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, NMTraveller said:

Regarding Celebrity's understaffing issue I believe that is by design and a cost saving measure.  They try to save every  penny they can at the expense of the product.

All of the hotels pre cruise/ post cruise were fully staffed and provided exemplary service.

There is plenty of labor available in SE Asia and many would love to work on the ship.  Sure it takes training of new people but Celebrity has known about this staffing requirement for 5 or 6 years.

I would disagree with the statement that hotels are fully staffed

Every westbound TA is always understaff since a lot staff cannot get visa to work in the USA 

There could people who want to work on cruise ships but can’t 

16 minutes ago, Ex-Airbalancer said:

I would disagree with the statement that hotels are fully staffed

Every westbound TA is always understaff since a lot staff cannot get visa to work in the USA 

There could people who want to work on cruise ships but can’t 

I was referring to hotels in SE Asia.  Five star hotels.

This is an area where Celebrity would be hiring from.  There is plenty of labor available here.  The hotels in this region were fully staffed and then some.  Every morning the grass was freshly raked of leaves.  The gardens were magnificent.  We would watch an army of gardeners take care of the grounds every morning.  The labor cost here is very inexpensive.

There is no USA visa requirement for Asian cruises.  Yet the ship was understaffed.

Edited by NMTraveller
  • Like 2