Overpacking?

Leaving  tomorrow from Galveston on a B2B with my sister. 
Ok, I admit it, my suitcase is super heavy. My sister is driving in today and  spending the night here is Houston. 
My sister, “ OMG, your suitcase is ridiculously heavy,  I will have to help you…..etc.” I will get a lecture driving to the port. 

Also my sister by 2nd  day, “OMG, I forgot socks, do you have hair conditioner, do you have clothes pins, can I use your hand lotion, sun  block toothpaste….etc.” 

Am I the only one? 

• Like 7

I am a proud over packer. We fly southwest so we don't pay extra for bags. I Don't wear the same thing twice in a week at home and don't want to on a cruise. I bring extra and there has been plenty of times when I've spilled something or someone else has lop and I have enough to go get changed. I don't and won't do a capsule wardrobe just not for me. And yes I've come to the rescue many times with my over packing lol. 

• Like 12

I am an overpacker in shaky recovery.  I came home from my last cruise with 1 pair of unworn shorts and about 6 unworn t's.  Clearly I have some work to do yet.  BUT all the swim stuff got worn 🙃

• Like 1

1 hour ago, alphawave1 said:

Ok, I admit it, my suitcase is super heavy. My sister is driving in today and  spending the night here is Houston. 
My sister, “ OMG, your suitcase is ridiculously heavy,  I will have to help you…..etc.” I will get a lecture driving to the port. 

Also my sister by 2nd  day, “OMG, I forgot socks, do you have hair conditioner, do you have clothes pins, can I use your hand lotion, sun  block toothpaste….etc.” 

Am I the only one? 

Maybe.  I am a light packer, but I can't remember last time I forgot something.  How? 

- I have a template, which I follow while packing.  I am very good at packing "just enough" -- I use everything I bring, but I don't find myself saying, "If only I had ..."  

- While I'm unpacking, I refill my toiletries -- this means I'm ready to go at a moment's notice.  Ditto for my first aid kit.  

• Like 5

I always overpack and don’t see any issues with this, I bring more clothes than I wear as I don’t always know what I will want to wear. Worse comes to worst I won’t wear some clothes. 🙂 
All I bring do fit into one mid-to-large piece of luggage.

• Like 5

I don't call it overpacking; I call it being prepared.  😄 On a cruise, you can't count on being able to run out and purchase something you need.   Depending on the destination, I want to be prepared for a range of temperatures and for rain.   In a hot climate, I know I will change clothes frequently.   I have encountered uncomfortably cold air conditioning on ships in the hot Caribbean.   I want to be prepared for clothing mishaps as @toxicfairy mentioned above.  I want options that allow me to make decisions at the time - change clothes for dinner or grab something in the buffet without changing; sandals or sneakers for an excursion; dress up a bit for elegant night or skip it.   I have used a ship's laundry, but I would rather avoid it, partly due to the cost but more due to concern over how the items are handled (hot water and hot dryer).  On longer cruises, I want a clean nightgown partway through the trip, so I pack 2.  

I want familiar OTC medications with me, while of course hoping I won't need them.  Nowadays I pack covid tests.  ☹️ I want my preferred shampoo and conditioner and other toiletries.

A couple years ago, when travel was picking up after covid, I wanted to try to travel with a carry on only for a land vacation in Ireland, after seeing pictures of massive pile ups of bags at some European airports. I bought a bigger carry on just for that trip  - but soon gave up.  I didn't want to be washing clothes in the bathroom sink or spending my vacation time looking for laundry service.  I packed a checked bag (never more than one), crossed my fingers that it would arrive at my destination uneventfully, and decided I was never going to be one of those people who can vacation for weeks out of carry-on luggage.  More power to them, but it's not me!  (I do envy them not having to stand in lines at airports to check bags and not having to wait to retrieve them.)

Edited by Joanne G.
  • Like 4

14 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

Each cruise we go on we pack less and less as we realize how much stuff we really don't need.

I have learned to pack lightly. I paid attention to what I used and didn't use on several cruises so I knew what I didn't need on the next one. I can now pack for a 7-day cruise in a carryon. My wife, on the other hand, still overpacks. She's getting better but still brings way more than what she needs/uses. She is aware of her addiction and is on the road to recovery. 😁

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

Am I the only one? 

Never going to pay for something should have brought from home. Have always brought 2 suitcases and my Backpack...and I have no hair!

• Like 7

Am I the only one? 

Definitely not!  I'm a proud over packer.  I'd rather have to many clothes than not enough.  

• Like 1

I *can* pack extremely lean and mean.  I've done a multi-week Eurorailing trip with just a school sized backpack. Woolite is essential.   
But, I am a proud overpacker.    DH is a former long-haul truck driver, my car is a touring Cadillac and we all felt like cattle being funneled to slaughter on our last flight, so we drive for all vacations.  I bring my California King comforter and between the three of us we bring about 6 pillows.  I have a fond memory of DH saying to me while in a hotel room, "Where is the back scratcher?" and I pointed to the window ledge.  I wouldn't say I pack too many clothes, but I bring lots of stuff because it doesn't seem fun to have to do without while on vacation.  

@alphawave1  The real issue here is her giving you grief.   Maybe stop her when she starts in on you, and say something like, "How about you not give me grief about how much I packed, and I won't give you grief when you ask to borrow stuff?"    What will likely happen is that she'll still give you grief.   Then when she asks to borrow stuff, you can just clear your throat and give her The Look.   

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, Tatka said:

I always overpack and don’t see any issues with this ...

I see a couple issues with overpacking -- you may feel differently about it, but the pros /cons are real:

- I don't like to over-crowd my stateroom. 

- On the last day I like to be able to pick up my one small suitcase + backpack and just walk off, ignoring everyone else's schedule.  

- Unpacking is easier if you haven't overpacked.  I'm not going to return something un-worn to the closet -- not if it's been in the suitcase with dirty clothes -- so that's more work when I return home.  

35 minutes ago, Joanne G. said:

I don't call it overpacking; I call it being prepared.

Bringing what you need is being prepared.  Overpacking is excess.  

On a cruise, you can't count on being able to run out and purchase something you need. 

Absolutely true -- and if you try to buy, say, sunscreen in port you'll pay more /have fewer choices than you would at your local drug store.  But, again, packing light is about bringing just what you need -- not too much, not too little.  

I want to be prepared for a range of temperatures and for rain.   In a hot climate, I know I will change clothes frequently.   I have encountered uncomfortably cold air conditioning on ships in the hot Caribbean.   I want to be prepared for clothing mishaps as @toxicfairy mentioned above.

I'd title this, Know Thyself. 

I never want a wrap or sweater at dinner or in the theater, but once or twice I've wanted something for Movies Under the Stars or walking on deck after dark.  What I've hit upon:  I bring a light chambray shirt, which is "just enough" in case I need something ... and then I wear it home with leggings + a short sleeved tee-shirt.  It's the perfect layer for heading North.  

I want familiar OTC medications with me, while of course hoping I won't need them.  Nowadays I pack covid tests.  ☹️ I want my preferred shampoo and conditioner and other toiletries.

I'm more with you here.  It's smart NOT to bring yourself to the attention of the medical staff, if you know you just have a stomach ache or whatever.  So I have a cosmetic bag filled with OTC meds (as well as Neosporin-infused bandaids and a couple other things) that I bring on every cruise -- but it's nothing large. 

And, yes, I have easy hair -- but I've gotta have my own shampoo /conditioner.  That's a very small thing though.  

31 minutes ago, cruiseguy1016 said:

I have learned to pack lightly. I paid attention to what I used and didn't use on several cruises so I knew what I didn't need on the next one. I can now pack for a 7-day cruise in a carryon. My wife, on the other hand, still overpacks. She's getting better but still brings way more than what she needs/uses. She is aware of her addiction and is on the road to recovery. 😁

Sounds a lot like us.  On our first-ever cruise we realized we'd badly overpacked.  On our second we downsized but still had quite a bit of stuff we didn't use.  On the way home from that second cruise (this was 20 years ago) we started the template, which we still use as a "starting place" for cruises today.  

My husband's clothes are actually harder to pack than mine, as his shoes are so big.  

31 minutes ago, Tree_skier said:

Definitely not!  I'm a proud over packer.  I'd rather have to many clothes than not enough.  

Too much, too little -- they're both problematic.  The goal should be "just right", and -- for a cruise -- I have learned to hit that sweet spot every time.  

11 minutes ago, HappyTexan44 said:

The real issue here is her giving you grief. 

Agree.  If you pack poorly, it shouldn't become my problem.  So don't expect to borrow from me, and don't expect me to carry your excess.  

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Tree_skier said:

Last cruise was close!  When I put my large suitcase on the scale at the airport it came in at 49.6 LBS.  LOL.

I told DW that all souvenirs were going in her suitcase.

One time on a scuba trip to Belize (pre-family) I knew my bag was going to be way over-weight.  Choosing iron for my dive tank had *seemed* like such a good idea.  I looked around for a worker that looked likely.  I asked for assistance with my bags and gave him a $10 and two $5's.   He grabbed my bags and went over to a ticket window with someone behind it but off to the side where they weren't helping anyone.  He handed my bags across and over the weight-check thing, he said something, and then palmed the other guy I assume the $5.  Presto, my bags were checked and I didn't even have to wait in the long line.  

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Mum2Mercury said:

Too much, too little -- they're both problematic.  The goal should be "just right", and -- for a cruise -- I have learned to hit that sweet spot every time.  

Based on the posts so far, it sounds like we have all found our own personal just right sweet spots.  😁 Happy cruising to all, however many bags you have.  

• Like 1

Packing now for 2 months in Australia and NZ.  We are taking 4 checked bags plus each a roller carry on and an under the seat carry on. 

We don’t over pack for clothes as much as all the other things. I need my shampoo and conditioner, sunscreen, OTC meds, daily meds.  I would say one bag is just for stuff we’ll use like beach bag, snorkel mask, fold up back pack, toiletries, hanging bag for wall, shoe holder, things like that.  A bag is for dress up clothes and probably 2 for clothes and shoes.  We will be in very hot in Darwin plus probably some summer Alaska type weather in southern NZ. I also take a small collapsible wash basin to do laundry in the room. We will send out underwear, socks and nightgowns.  

There are a few things we could buy when we get there like liquid hand soap but I don’t want to spend my time running around trying to find specific products pre cruise.  I also don’t want to spend time in ports of call looking for something we forgot. And that’s if you have ports of call and don’t end up with 6 or 7 sea days in a row which has also happened.

I do have duct tape and we have used it. I can’t tell you how many times DH has asked for something and it’s rare I don’t have it. Be prepared but organized. 

Ok when I travel with checked luggage it’s always 48.5-49.8lb especially when I travel for my business. No problem with having heavy luggage if you can handle it. It’s the people with a bunch of bags who can’t that drive me a little nuts if I get stuck behind them. Bring what you need and are comfortable with transporting. 

Next cruise is 8 days plus a few days pre cruise will be Alaska in September. It will be all carry on. Will still manage to have all the medication including OTC I may need and shampoo, conditioner, makeup etc. There will be hiking gear including a first aid kit. I don’t mind wearing my favorite black tshirt twice in a week because it’s my “everyday uniform”.

Going light is a balance of sacrifice and reward. Not waiting for luggage is a reward, wearing a shirt twice for some would be a sacrifice. Find whatever balance works for you. My mom and dad don’t like dealing with carry ons especially since my dad uses a cane when traveling. For them they rather each have a backpack with what they want during their flight plus one change of clothes and then they share a large suitcase that is checked. They still travel light ish but in a way that works for them.

my luggage has been lost enough times that I know what is essential and rather pack carry on only if I can. My last cruise I brought one piece of luggage and a backpack but really I just shopped more and didn’t need some of what I brought. Seeing cruisers on a 16 day TA with just a backpack inspired me to lighten my load.

9 minutes ago, SoloAlaska said:

No problem with having heavy luggage if you can handle it.

Exactly, I've got good luggage that rolls well on all surfaces.  I push the two full size cases and DW pushes the two roller boards. 

• Like 2

We bring one 26 inch suitcase each and one tote bag . 

They only weigh about 31 lbs each and the luggage empty weighs 15 lbs by itself .

Since we dont bring any formal wear anymore , the luggage is about 5 lbs lighter.

Its easy to self disembark also.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mum2Mercury said:

I see a couple issues with overpacking -- you may feel differently about it, but the pros /cons are real:

- I don't like to over-crowd my stateroom. 

- On the last day I like to be able to pick up my one small suitcase + backpack and just walk off, ignoring everyone else's schedule.  

- Unpacking is easier if you haven't overpacked.  I'm not going to return something un-worn to the closet -- not if it's been in the suitcase with dirty clothes -- so that's more work when I return home.  

Bringing what you need is being prepared.  Overpacking is excess. 

- I don’t overcrowd my cabin. Everything that cannot be wrinkled is packed in ziplocks of different sizes. They go in ziplocks on various shelves. Of course 6-8 blouses and 3-4 dressy jackets get hanged. Everything is unpacked pretty fast.

- I walk with my luggage from the ship ASAP. If it’s not a weekend I work from my car while we drive home (gotta save PTO days 🙂 )

- Everything that I wore (pulled from ziplocks or from hangers) gets washed and put back to the luggage to wait to the next cruise (we have 5 from September to May) in our spear bedroom. After May’s cruise summer clothes are moved to my closet. 

I’m always prepared as with 5 cruises I don’t take additional days before cruise (must save PTO days). I just don’t think additional clothes which I may or may not wear is a problem. 

For 2 of us we bring midsize bag for my husband. Mid-to-large for me. Backpack with all kind of toiletries, 1 pair of swimming wear and  electronics 

Edited by Tatka

2 hours ago, Tree_skier said:

Exactly, I've got good luggage that rolls well on all surfaces.  I push the two full size cases and DW pushes the two roller boards. 

If it isn’t broken then don’t fix it. I travel in Europe by train and having that much luggage is hard for anyone but pretty much impossible for those who aren’t physically fit. I always joked at the gym that the reason I work out is so I can carry all my work luggage. I can carry (lift in the air) 130lb but I can move (roll and carry) closer to 200 plus pounds. But try boarding a train with 200lb of luggage solo… no thank you.

• Haha 1