Shoes!

A little "tough love" here....

This isn't the first time the OP has asked for help or tips to cut down on packing. And at the end of the thread, she is still protesting most suggestions.

To be clear, I am absolutely fine with people doing whatever they want to do on a vacation. Bring a whole suitcase full of shoes if you like. But just own it. Stop asking for helpful tips and (she says gently) wasting the time of other posters until you fully intend to actually cut down.

As Yoda would say, "Do...or do not. There is no 'try.'"

• Like 6
  • Thanks 4

On 1/22/2024 at 7:54 AM, Reina del Mar said:

Asked a packing question and saw so many replies about ladies travelling with THREE pairs of shoes…..I am looking at a minimum of eight….how do people manage on longer cruises. Please ??

Will be taking a large suitcase and carryon rollaboard so will probably have room but possibly not weight, as our allowance is 35kg

Going (in 25 days) on a 35-night South Pacific cruise. I will take clog-style negative-heel shoes in black for around the ship. SAS-crosstrainers in "dust" (light gray) for excursions, and my black "formal" flip-flops (also negative-heel) that I blacked out the "EARTH" logo with a permanent marker. I might also take water shoes, if I knew where they were. Never surfaced after our whole-house move three years ago. We aren't really beach-goers anyway. 

Rotating between negative and positive heeled shoes keeps my plantar fascitis from flaring.

My clothing color schemes are purple, teal, and coral. Shoes do not have to match.

Weigh everything. The weight is definitely the constraining factor. Good luck!

• Like 1

Haven't cruised in a bit and have some dressy kitten heel sandals that I planned to wear to dinner/MDR (RCL Odyssey of the Sea).  Is this ok? I keep reading "closed toe shoes" for MDR.  I should be ok, yes?  They are gold and comfy and its the only dressier shoe I was planning to bring as I can wear with any dressy outfit.  Can't do higher heels after back surgery

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Cinderellis said:

Haven't cruised in a bit and have some dressy kitten heel sandals that I planned to wear to dinner/MDR (RCL Odyssey of the Sea).  Is this ok? I keep reading "closed toe shoes" for MDR.  I should be ok, yes?  They are gold and comfy and its the only dressier shoe I was planning to bring as I can wear with any dressy outfit.  Can't do higher heels after back surgery

Those shoes sound perfect for the MDR. For dressy nights I wear a gold wedge sandal, definitely not closed toe!

• Like 4

10 hours ago, Cinderellis said:

Most rules are in reference to men. Like no tank tops or open toed shoes. Follow the mood not the letter.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Cinderellis said:

Those sandals will be perfect

• Like 1

On 1/22/2024 at 9:49 PM, crystalspin said:

My three (counting what I am wearing) are:

Negative heel black "clogs" for around the ship

Positive heel gray cross-trainers (SAS Tours) for shore tours

Negative heel black "formal" flipflops (I covered the EARTH insignitia with a permanent marker!) for evenings.

What are negative and positive heels? 

14 minutes ago, Mum2Mercury said:

What are negative and positive heels? 

Negative-heel shoes first (in my lifetime) became a thing in maybe the 1970s under the name Earth Shoe. They are now made by company Kalso (maybe always were?). They tend to be very ugly! in the style of the 70s-80s. But usually lots of room in the toe-box. The meaning of Negative Heel is that the heel is lower than the ball of the foot -- said to be based on the bare footprint of walking in soft moist sand (the heel is lowest) in a natural walking stride. 

"Positive heel" is just the opposite (I may have made up the term!) -- any regular shoe including running shoes and ladies' heels would have positive heels. Many women with plantar fasciitis are told to always wear 1"-2" heels for relief, but that does nothing to remove the cause of PF: a shortening of the connective tissue between the heel and the toes.

Negative-heel shoes stretch that tissue (the fascia) and also will stretch the Achilles tendon up the back of the leg. So starting by limiting time with them can be necessary! I do alternate because I haven't found a walking/trekking Earth shoe I like yet. I wear SAS "Tour" sneaker-look shoes recommended by podiatrist for any serious walking; I just bought a pair of OrthoFeet BioFit to try also. The latter are promising: very light and springy!

1 hour ago, crystalspin said:

Negative-heel shoes first (in my lifetime) became a thing in maybe the 1970s under the name Earth Shoe. They are now made by company Kalso (maybe always were?). They tend to be very ugly! in the style of the 70s-80s. But usually lots of room in the toe-box. The meaning of Negative Heel is that the heel is lower than the ball of the foot -- said to be based on the bare footprint of walking in soft moist sand (the heel is lowest) in a natural walking stride. 

"Positive heel" is just the opposite (I may have made up the term!) -- any regular shoe including running shoes and ladies' heels would have positive heels. Many women with plantar fasciitis are told to always wear 1"-2" heels for relief, but that does nothing to remove the cause of PF: a shortening of the connective tissue between the heel and the toes.

Negative-heel shoes stretch that tissue (the fascia) and also will stretch the Achilles tendon up the back of the leg. So starting by limiting time with them can be necessary! I do alternate because I haven't found a walking/trekking Earth shoe I like yet. I wear SAS "Tour" sneaker-look shoes recommended by podiatrist for any serious walking; I just bought a pair of OrthoFeet BioFit to try also. The latter are promising: very light and springy!

You might want to try OOFOS. They are classified as recovery shoes. Flip flops, clogs, slip on shoes & new running shoes. I’ve had 20 foot surgeries & I cannot recommend these more!  They have the large toe  box & done cute styles!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On cruises, I tend to bring a pair of allbirds for daytime and a pair of black Rothy's Mary Janes for evenings.  Both these shoes are comfortable and accommodate my feet (my feet tend to swell a bit -- or more than just a bit -- when I go on a cruise ship). Do the Rothy's match every evening outfit perfectly?  No, but they do the job.  And, to be honest, no one is looking at my feet all that much. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ysolde said:

On cruises, I tend to bring a pair of allbirds for daytime and a pair of black Rothy's Mary Janes for evenings.  Both these shoes are comfortable and accommodate my feet (my feet tend to swell a bit -- or more than just a bit -- when I go on a cruise ship). Do the Rothy's match every evening outfit perfectly?  No, but they do the job.  And, to be honest, no one is looking at my feet all that much. 

Never heard of allbirds 

22 minutes ago, awhfy said:

Never heard of allbirds 

Hi Melody, I have never worn them but have seen ads on line. Google them a d you can see what they are about.

• Like 1

I know a lot of people who love AllBirds. They are made of wool so I can’t wear them sadly. Socks are optional, they don’t smell as much because they are wool, they look good, fun colours. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, SoloAlaska said:

I know a lot of people who love AllBirds. They are made of wool so I can’t wear them sadly. Socks are optional, they don’t smell as much because they are wool, they look good, fun colours. 

In the summer, the tree skippers (which are made of a material that is lighter than wool) are wonderful.  Great for Caribbean cruises.  They are also washable.

28 minutes ago, ysolde said:

In the summer, the tree skippers (which are made of a material that is lighter than wool) are wonderful.  Great for Caribbean cruises.  They are also washable.

Unfortunately the website says some may still have wool lined insoles. I’ll have to confirm which ones won’t. So happy they have wool free options now. These went viral pre pandemic in my industry but wool was the only option.

On 1/25/2024 at 11:18 AM, Cinderellis said:

Hi, I think a closed toe kitten heel would be good on any cruise line, Royal, Celebrity, HAL, Princess, etc...etc.....etc........

I don't even wear heels anymore. A small wedge or a ballet flat is what works for me.

• Like 1

On 1/26/2024 at 11:53 AM, crystalspin said:

Negative-heel shoes first (in my lifetime) became a thing in maybe the 1970s under the name Earth Shoe ... 

Thanks for the info.  I'd never heard of this before.  

• Like 1

On 1/26/2024 at 2:07 PM, awhfy said:

You might want to try OOFOS. They are classified as recovery shoes. Flip flops, clogs, slip on shoes & new running shoes. 

I wanted to see how they felt so bought a pair of "like new" flip flops off eBay. I am a 9.5 so bought a 10, but they are big enough to trip me (feel good and cushy, though!). I have ordered a 9 now, hoping to get them before the 12th to be my water shoes for upcoming Pacific cruise!

1 hour ago, crystalspin said:

I wanted to see how they felt so bought a pair of "like new" flip flops off eBay. I am a 9.5 so bought a 10, but they are big enough to trip me (feel good and cushy, though!). I have ordered a 9 now, hoping to get them before the 12th to be my water shoes for upcoming Pacific cruise!

I wear a 7-1/2 & buy a 7. Hope you love them 

• Thanks 1

On 1/30/2024 at 2:57 AM, ysolde said:

I just got my first pair of Vivaia. They're wider especially in the toe box. I also love my way too many Rothys. Like you, I take two pairs of shoes. My Rothys can work for dinner in either black round toe or navy pointed toes.

• Like 2

On 2/4/2024 at 5:07 PM, awhfy said:
On 2/4/2024 at 3:45 PM, crystalspin said:

I have ordered a 9 now, hoping to get them before the 12th to be my water shoes for upcoming Pacific cruise!

I wear a 7-1/2 & buy a 7. Hope you love them 

OOFOS size 9 Flipflops (like new) came today. Like walking on clouds! The arch is even in about the right place (or the foot bed is that moldable) -- this is rare.

Definitely going to be my beach day shoes on upcoming cruise! Then I will shop for some of their other styles.

On 2/8/2024 at 8:35 PM, crystalspin said:

OOFOS size 9 Flipflops (like new) came today. Like walking on clouds! The arch is even in about the right place (or the foot bed is that moldable) -- this is rare.

Definitely going to be my beach day shoes on upcoming cruise! Then I will shop for some of their other styles.

I wish I could send you mine (same size); I ordered them last year and only wore them inside my condo for a total of not more than an hour. They are not comfortable for my feet. 😕

3 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

I wish I could send you mine (same size); I ordered them last year and only wore them inside my condo for a total of not more than an hour. They are not comfortable for my feet. 😕

What color?!! My arch is not in the same place as most women's -- more like a man's! So that might be why it doesn't work for you. If you are serious, my addy is my CC ID at that yodel sound dot com.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, crystalspin said:

What color?!! My arch is not in the same place as most women's -- more like a man's! So that might be why it doesn't work for you. If you are serious, my addy is my CC ID at that yodel sound dot com.

They're the bronze slip-ons (not flip flops). Let me make sure I still have them stashed in my closet. If I do, I'll email...

• Thanks 1