Shoes!

I need help !!!

Asked a packing question and saw so many replies about ladies travelling with THREE pairs of shoes…..I am looking at a minimum of eight….how do people manage on longer cruises. Please ??

Will be taking a large suitcase and carryon rollaboard so will probably have room but possibly not weight, as our allowance is 35kg

Many thanks.

Well, what are you going to do with EIGHT pairs of shoes?  My feet are persnickity, can't wear the same shoes two days in a row, the skin on my feet seems to be easily annoyed.  I always have to have just the 'right pair' of socks  Long ago, I learned to pack nothing but black 'bottoms' and shoes.  That saves me some space.  I take trainers, sandals, walking shoes.  Always pack a pair of weightless black velvet slippers that I wear to dinner and black flippers with a little decoration, both weightless.  It's taken me years to get down to a 35-40# checked bag.

• Like 3

I pack:

1. My trusted Birkenstock black sandals and wear them frequently around the ship.
2. Leather sneakers (also Birkenstock) for excursions with lots of walking. 
3. Swim shoes, if needed. 

4. Black flats for evening. 

I wear my heaviest shoes to/from the ship on travel day. This list can change based on location/ports, activities, and weather. 

Wear Sketcher’s trainers....international travel,

gold high, formal shoes,

black formal high sandals

gold wedges for smart casual

black wedges for smart casual

black walking sandals,

black leather flip flops

gold leather flip flops

1 minute ago, Reina del Mar said:

gold high, formal shoes,

black walking sandals,

black leather flip flops

gold leather flip flops

So from this list, it seems that you could cut out two pairs easily by choosing either the black formal or gold formal, and either the black wedges or gold wedges.  Either should go with everything you might wear.  To go further, consider whether you need both formal shoes and smart casual shoes; in other words, could the black or gold wedges work for all formal and smart casual situations?    And, then, consider whether you need both colors of flip flops.  If you could make either the gold or black work, you'd be at the "3 pairs" number, i.e., gold (or black) wedges, gold (or black) flops, and black walking sandals.  (Plus the Skechers that are on your feet on the plane.)    This is pretty much how people make the "3 pairs" work.

• Like 3

From a little sleuthing around on CC, it would appear that your upcoming long cruise is on Princess. Looking at their website, it states that on the length of cruise you mention, there are only 4 formal nights. Does it really make sense to bring 2 pairs of formal shoes for only 4 nights? Definitely eliminate one pair here.

I also can't see the need for two pairs of flip flops. Not that they take a lot of room, but...  Eliminate one pair.

Now you're already down to wearing one pair and packing 5. It's a start. 😁

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Reina del Mar said:

gold high, formal shoes,

black walking sandals,

black leather flip flops

gold leather flip flops

I would just pack black formals, black flip flops, and black walking sandals. That's three pairs. Plus wearing your Sketchers. 

And I usually overdress for occasions!

Edited by CatalinaUK
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Reina del Mar said:

gold high, formal shoes,

black walking sandals,

black leather flip flops

gold leather flip flops

This is an easy one, Reina.  If you're like me, you have these 'looks' that you love and feel comfortable in.  But you just have to bite the bullet ONCE and you'll be converted.  Gold heels can be worn with anything, so leave the black ones.  I'd bring either of the wedges and flippers.  I'd much rather pack a few more pieces of clothing/accessories than too many shoes.  

Wow that’s a lot of shoes. Well I never wear wedges, I prefer a traditional heel which can be dressed up or down.

Long cruise I packed

lightweight running shoes for comfort

leather sneakers for excursions and casual wear

black heels for semi/formal

cute/ waterproof flip flops for the pool

Alaskan cruise (September)

hiking boots for ports

Lightweight sneakers for daytime

Black heels for evening

the Alaskan cruise doesn’t have a solarium and I won’t be getting the thermal spa pass so no need for flip flops.

if you focus on packing a cohesive wardrobe you can find shoes that work universally. Ask yourself if you really need 3 pairs of sandals. Can you make do with one pair of heels to dress up or down based on what you’re wearing. You’re very close to a 3 shoe list you just have to pick the best 3-4 for your trip. Your shoes don’t need to “match” your outfits they just have to work with them. 

Edited by SoloAlaska

Some excellent ideas…..still dithering though, can make all sorts of excuses to myself  but probably stems from being a shopaholic!!

I can do a month in USA with about four pairs …still working on cruise wardrobe. Please keep suggestions coming.

Many thanks.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Reina del Mar said:

Some excellent ideas…..still dithering though, can make all sorts of excuses to myself  but probably stems from being a shopaholic!!

I can do a month in USA with about four pairs …still working on cruise wardrobe. Please keep suggestions coming.

Many thanks.

Well you could just plan your shoes for each cruise be different then it gives you the excuse for shoes without having to carry them all at once. Shoe shopping is not fun for my feet so I don’t have this problem. 

• Like 2

Shoes are heavy and take up space - 8 pairs is going to take space/weight from other IMO more important items

taking out 1 pair of flip-flops wont save much - they are the ones light and easy to pack.

I think you really need to decide on one of each (ie one wedge, 1 formal shoe etc) and that cuts the list in half.

3 pairs packed in your suitcase and 1 on your feet.

• Like 2

Hi, there have been plenty of times I have been gone for 2 weeks and I think the most shoes I have ever packed is 5. I try not to even bring that many anymore. As the years have gone by I try to bring only 3 or 4 pair of shoes.

You mentioned you don't think wedges can be formal? I disagree and if I ever bring heels, they are a small wedge. Black......they go with everything (in my opinion).  

You have been given some very good suggestions........I would never bring 8 pairs with me.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Reina del Mar said:

Asked a packing question and saw so many replies about ladies travelling with THREE pairs of shoes

No matter the length of cruise, I bring shoes in these categories -- I don't bring multiple shoes in the same category.   

- A pair of tennis shoes.  I like to wear white Vans or Keds, which go with shorts outfits or tee-shirt dresses.  

- A pair of comfortable walking sandals in a medium brown (maybe Chacos or Sketchers).  Again, these work with shorts outfits or casual dresses. 

- A pair of dressy shoes that'll match all my dinner dresses.  I like wedges, but I don't always wear the same dressy shoes on cruises.  

- AND depending upon our shores excursion plans, I might bring a pair of water shoes.  

7 hours ago, jsn55 said:

My feet are persnickity, can't wear the same shoes two days in a row, the skin on my feet seems to be easily annoyed. 

I have trouble with Plantar Fasciitis, but the shoes above work fine for me, as they have the support I need.  I switch between the tennis shoes and walking sandals during the day ... and I only wear the dinner shoes for a fairly short time.  

Edited by Mum2Mercury
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, Reina del Mar said:

Asked a packing question and saw so many replies about ladies travelling with THREE pairs of shoes…..I am looking at a minimum of eight….how do people manage on longer cruises.

My three (counting what I am wearing) are:

Negative heel black "clogs" for around the ship

Positive heel gray cross-trainers (SAS Tours) for shore tours

Negative heel black "formal" flipflops (I covered the EARTH insignitia with a permanent marker!) for evenings.

Edited by crystalspin

I pack carry-on only, so weight and space are imperative. To do this, I had to shift my thinking away from picking “just the right shoes” to match a chosen outfit, to a more strategic plan.

I start by evaluating my excursions and activities on ship, and the type of footwear I need. Then, I pack shoes BEFORE deciding clothes (which will ultimately all be in some sort of capsule wardrobe).

Choosing the clothes to match the shoes — completely in reverse of how I dress at home —has worked to keep me on track to only pack what I need for the trip. 

Best,

Christine

• Like 5

I love shoes. I get wanting to pack so many, but have never gotten up to 8 pairs. Like everyone else has said, I typically wear sneakers on the airplane. I bring 2 pairs of flip flops because I like the variety and they basically weigh nothing. I bring one pair of sandals for walking in port and for casual wear, and two pairs of wedges for dinner (one gold and one a light blue denim color). That's 6. If I have space in the suitcase and am not over the weight limit, why not pack what I enjoy?

• Like 3

I wear my black Keen water shoes (my heaviest) on plane, one pair of white OOFO slip-ons (weigh 4 oz), one pair of oofo flip flops, one black dressy sandal & maybe a sparkly flip flop. I need options after 20 foot surgeries

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Reina del Mar said:

Thanks Ladies…I was really hoping that someone would say:=

”Eight pairs…that’s not a lot!”

okay…I’ll say it…..eight pairs….thats not a lot!

I’m known for bringing at least that many pairs. We usually leave from ny or Florida, depending on the time of year.  No plane involved. I’d rather have extra luggage and have a choice of what I’m wearing. Even when we took planes to a cruise, I always brought what I needed (wanted). 

Everybody makes choices based on their own needs. I get it that some people need to cut down on luggage, but as long as there are porters and luggage carts, I’ll be overpacking!😂🛳

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

8 hours ago, Reina del Mar said:

Thanks Ladies…I was really hoping that someone would say:=

”Eight pairs…that’s not a lot!”

When I grow up, I'm going to have a person who carts my luggage around ... then I'll take a dozen pair of shoes!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, TwinMamainMN said:

If I have space in the suitcase and am not over the weight limit, why not pack what I enjoy?

Absolutely. Pack 8 pairs of shoes, or whatever you like.

But OP does have a weight/space  limit and did ask for help on this - so pack a s many as yo u want probably won't work for her.

Ohhh I'm not good at this. I once took a small hard sided suitcase with nothing But shoes!! And I wore ALLof them on a 7 night cruise!! 

August will be my first cruise since I broke my hip,femur, heel & ankle. Now heels are difficult because I can't put my weight on my ankle/ foot when it's on an angle. I'm a self proclaimed heel whore lol I refuse to wear flats with a dress. So guess I'll be suffering. I did find some lower heels ( not the stilettos I'm use to) and some chunky heels with a platform front so it's not a big angle. I'll probably have 2-3 pr heels, 2 flip flops & maaaaybe sneakers oh and a pair of sandles or 2 ...

For a 7 night cruise in August 

Edited by toxicfairy