USA to Singapore

FlaMariner

8 hours ago, zitsky said:

Does any airline call their seats “comfort” anything except Delta?  No ...

Actually, yes, some other airlines do.

But seeing as we've established that Delta's Comfort Plus is only a "scam" in that the name's a bit of marketing exuberance, rather than because Delta tells any untruths about what you're actually getting (which is just an economy seat), we may as well leave that there.

1 hour ago, Globaliser said:

Actually, yes, some other airlines do.

As you say.... sure!

Air Canada does it for some flights but it's pretty clear that the seats are of the Comfort (Economy) variety and include choose-you-own 'preferred' seats - basically, a little more leg room.  Whether this makes things more comfortable is pretty much a subjective opinion.  For Air Canada, usually the next step up is Premium Economy then Business Class.

No 'scam' at all.  

We flew Toronto to Singapore last December with Singapore Airlines, round trip.  It cost us about $4000 each and we had stopover in Frankfurt both ways for about 4-5 hours.

In my opinion, business class was not much more expensive than premium economy and we would not have done a flight that length in economy so the upgrade was well worth it.

The flight from Toronto to Frankfurt was operated by Air Canada and we got to start our vacation in style taking advantage of the world class Signature Lounge and the pod-like seats on Air Canada were great.  The meal was mostly excellent (breakfast was a tragedy that should never be mentioned again) and service was great too.  Then from Frankfurt to Singapore we switched to Singapore Air's A380 double decker and that flight was amazing.  We arrived in Singapore well-rested and ready to actually explore which is a miracle considering it usually takes me at least a day or two to recover from jet lag.  After the business class flights and sleeping so well on the plane, we were trekking all over the Gardens by the Bay three hours after landing.

If you can swing business class on Singapore Airlines, go for it.  We were also considering Turkish Airlines business class to Singapore but were unsure of the long layover in Istanbul (it would have been 11 hours).  It was a fair bit cheaper for their business class tickets so that might be an option for you in you still want a good rest in not quite as opulent a flight experience.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, desibee said:

We were also considering Turkish Airlines business class to Singapore but were unsure of the long layover in Istanbul (it would have been 11 hours).  It was a fair bit cheaper for their business class tickets so that might be an option for you in you still want a good rest in not quite as opulent a flight experience.

Whether it's an advantage or not is up to each individual person, but one cool think about 11 hours in IST is that you could get out and see a bit of one of the greatest cities in the world. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Zach1213 said:

Whether it's an advantage or not is up to each individual person, but one cool think about 11 hours in IST is that you could get out and see a bit of one of the greatest cities in the world. 

Istanbul is worth seeing.  You will know you’re in a big city.  You won’t be alone anywhere.  

The Blue Mosque is nice.  I had wanted to see the Haggia Sophia since I was 12 and I was reading about the Ottoman Empire.

My mother in law is Turkish and we have Turkish family and friends so we had dinner with two of them on our overnight in Istanbul.  Also did a water cruise that was nice.

7 hours ago, Zach1213 said:

Or you can stretch it even more with the Turkish free stopover program.  One of the great bargains out there.

• Like 1

On 2/19/2024 at 1:15 PM, Gardyloo said:

Okay, so I'm going - again - to repeat a thought that I seem to post to about half the posts on this board that involve premium cabin travel to Southeast Asia or Australia/NZ from North America.  To those that have already heard this spiel, mea culpa.  If the OP is one of those who've seen this idea before and have rejected it, apologies and carry on.

I keep seeing quotes of fares in the $4000 - $5000 range (or more) for business class round trip or open-jaw flights to Singapore or Bali or both, or to Australia or New Zealand or both.  That may be the best one can do given the timing and origin/destination details of the trips, if one is looking at conventional tickets.  

But many users of this board are serial cruisers, people who travel frequently to far-away places for their cruise holidays, maybe for other (non-cruise) purposes too.  For some of those - not all by any means - using special airfare products, in particular round-the-world fares, MIGHT be a method of getting more for your travel dollar/pound/Euro if you want to ride in the pointy end.  The key is to see if you can fit multiple destinations into the lifespan (one year) of a RTW ticket, or maybe to develop a "master plan" into which one can stage a couple of years' worth of long-distance travel.  

Thank you the post about RTW tickets.  I have been looking at the OneWorld option and it seems to meet my needs.

Any pointers about travel insurance for the flights?  I normally use my credit card for air travel insurance; it's good enough normally.  But it excludes travel over 60 days.  So I think that means on ticket purchased for travel over 365 day would be excluded.

Also when you are traveling and need to make a change, who do you contact?  Oneworld or the individual airline?

Again thanks and I am doing my research but thought you might could point me the right way based on your experience.

2 minutes ago, happy cruzer said:

Thank you the post about RTW tickets.  I have been looking at the OneWorld option and it seems to meet my needs.

Any pointers about travel insurance for the flights?  I normally use my credit card for air travel insurance; it's good enough normally.  But it excludes travel over 60 days.  So I think that means on ticket purchased for travel over 365 day would be excluded.

Also when you are traveling and need to make a change, who do you contact?  Oneworld or the individual airline?

Again thanks and I am doing my research but thought you might could point me the right way based on your experience.

You might want to post about the insurance on the travel insurance section of CC:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/499-cruisetravel-insurance/

We would NEVER rely upon the charge card coverage, given the type of coverage snd the restrictions, but that doesn't mean it wouldn't be suitable for some.

Just be CERTAIN you understand ALL of the Terms & Conditions, especially pre-existing condtions (which can be defined very differently).

I'd suggest calling a travel insurance agent or broker and discuss with them what your situation is.  They can help you figure out what type of coverage is best for your situation, and there will be choices.

Browse there and then perhaps make a call, at least to get some quick information and feedback.

Double check about "length of trip".

However, I'm surprised that you would really be traveling for the full year (365 days), without coming home.  Is that correct!?

GC

• Like 1

Thanks GeezerCouple.  I do read the Cruise travel insurance page.  It has helped me a lot.  That's how I found that my credit card generally has enough for my travel insurance.  And I do supplement my medical coverage for trips depending on the trip difference.  I was curious about coverage for flight ticket that is paid for as one unit and extends for 365 days.  If no one responds here, I definitely will ask on the other page.

Also thanks for saying double check.  The 60 day limit was for trip cancellation/interruption.  The credit card does cover trip delay for 365 days, at a low limit of coverage but probably good enough.

Are we having fun yet 🙂 ?  All good.

17 hours ago, happy cruzer said:

I can't speak authoritatively on the insurance question.  Generally with my RTWs I started overseas and returned home for part of the ticket's validity, similar to the imaginary plan I laid out in my prior post.  Thus there were two, sometimes 3 trips included within the ticket's validity.  I'd imagine you could insure each portion separately.  But I don't know the exact answer.  Maybe talking to a human at the insurer of your choice is the right move.

Regarding changes, the tickets are issued by one of the member airlines of the alliance.  The alliance itself has no role to play in the actual travel; they just set the rules that the members agree to follow.  So whichever airline issues the ticket is the one you go to for changes.  

With Oneworld, some airlines are easier do deal with then others when changes are necessary.  In almost every scenario, American Airlines, which has a dedicated RTW desk, is by far the easiest and most knowledgeable airline to deal with for changes or issues.  They also tend to be cheaper than other airlines in the alliance when it comes to adding fees and surcharges to the base price of the ticket.  The quid pro quo of using AA is they usually want one of the transoceanic segments to be on AA flights - either on AA "metal" or a partner flight carrying an AA codeshare flight number.  That's usually a small price to pay for the savings and convenience of using AA for ticket management services.  

Hope this helps.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, happy cruzer said:

Thanks GeezerCouple.  I do read the Cruise travel insurance page.  It has helped me a lot.  That's how I found that my credit card generally has enough for my travel insurance.  And I do supplement my medical coverage for trips depending on the trip difference.  I was curious about coverage for flight ticket that is paid for as one unit and extends for 365 days.  If no one responds here, I definitely will ask on the other page.

Also thanks for saying double check.  The 60 day limit was for trip cancellation/interruption.  The credit card does cover trip delay for 365 days, at a low limit of coverage but probably good enough.

Are we having fun yet 🙂 ?  All good.

I think there may be a misunderstanding about the "maximum of 60 days per trip" for the insurance coverage.

AFAIK (and I am not a licensed agent or broker, so DO speak with one of those!), the length of the trip has nothing to do with the "tickets" or "hotel reservations", etc.

It's the duration of the trip.  From when you start until you finish it.

And one problem with some insurance from the travel vendor is that they might not (need to check, always) cover more than the time they are "working with you".  That could be from when you step on the ship at the start, and walk off as you head home/elsewhere.

Third-party coverage is usually from the moment you walk out the door until you walk back in.  That would also include, say, a land trip before or after the cruise, something not arranged by the cruise line.

I'm not sure what a delay of 365 days would mean, without seeing the actual wording of the policy.

So the question remains:  Are you really going to be on one trip that lasts the entire year, without going home between those days?

GC

On 3/9/2024 at 5:49 PM, happy cruzer said:

I’m definitely NOT an expert on travel insurance, but you might want to take a look at an “annual” policy rather than a specific trip policy.

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/23/2024 at 12:01 PM, FlaMariner said:

Any intel on these choices??.....ATL - SIN.....all in Economy but one

• Turkish $932 23 hours (connect Istanbul)
  • Singapore $940 24 hours (connect SFO)
  • Singapore $1156 premium  29 hours (connect JFK)
  • Singapore $870 28 hours (connect IAH and MAN)
  • Delta $1231 26 hours (connect Seoul)
  • American $1240 27 hours (connect Narita)
  • United $1243 23 hours (connect SFO)

I'm leaning towards the 2nd one....Why?  Low price, short time, one connection, and I get to fly on Singapore Airlines......2nd choice is the first one.

What says the air experts on here?

We flew Singapore Airlines, round trip, out of NY. Fantastic service, food, comfort even in economy class.

On 1/22/2024 at 3:49 PM, FlaMariner said:

We are flying to Singapore in October from ATL.......(one way flight...cruising back to USA on Carnival)

Air Canada just started a Vancouver-Singapore route today.   When airlines do this they normally have introductory sales.  No idea if it works for you with connections or price vrs the other options.