Do boarding passes still need to be printed?

Had this message for the first time from Carnival on embarkation day a few weeks ago...

Hi There,
Your cruise day has finally arrived! Please remember that you must bring your boarding pass in order to access the cruise terminal.
Please click here to print or save (to your mobile device).
See you soon!

Thanks
Carnival Cruise Line

Does the bit about "save (to your mobile device)" mean you don't have to print anymore? I don't have use for a home printer anymore, so this would save a trip to the print shop before each cruise...

Carnival's website says you can show on your phone:

On embarkation day, a boarding pass will be emailed to your email address that is linked to your reservation profile, whether Online Check-in has been completed or not. At embarkation, you may show your printed boarding pass or the boarding pass on your mobile phone.  

To review Online Check-in Frequently Asked Questions, click here.

• Thanks 1

I still print mine because I have several things to hold onto during embarkation and my phone would be the most likely to be dropped or left behind. I would rather keep the phone in my purse and handle a piece of paper.

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, DeckTime said:

Carnival's website says you can show on your phone:

On embarkation day, a boarding pass will be emailed to your email address that is linked to your reservation profile, whether Online Check-in has been completed or not. At embarkation, you may show your printed boarding pass or the boarding pass on your mobile phone.  

To review Online Check-in Frequently Asked Questions, click here.

Has not worked for me ever.  They will sent you to get it printed since you need to show it several times before boarding.  Yo udo not want to be the person holding up a line of cruisers while you are trying to pull up something on your phone.  

• Like 3

Interestingly, on Royal which embraces using your phone for your boarding pass, I seem to always be stuck behind someone flipping through an entire notebook of paperwork looking for their boarding pass. Meanwhile I simply swipe between apps for each of my documents.

You do need a printed copy, but no need to print it yourself. Before you join the line ask one of the nice folks directing people where to go to have your boarding pass printed, or look for the person with a small printer on their hip.

They will print a small slip of paper, which will be stamped by the agent checking you in, and that is the reason you need a physical copy. They can even look you up by last name if you forget your cabin number but it will be better to have your cabin number handy.

• Thanks 1

In Seattle (Alaska bound ships), everyone has to have their own printed copy.  It is best to arrive with it in hand.  While we can print out a copy for you, the 75 people with their printed boarding pass behind you in line will be waved though, and then it will take you a bit longer going thru check-in and security.

If you do arrive without your boarding pass, please at least know your stateroom number.  We can check by last name, but every person with that last name will appear on our screen.  Much faster with a stateroom number.

In Seattle we need to see everyone’s boarding pass and passport (or birth certificate) before you can enter the terminal building.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, ontheweb said:

You can just tell them your cabin number. (But be sure to get it right!)

OOPS, I was thinking of luggage tags when I posted that not boarding passes.

8 hours ago, jam19872016 said:

Interestingly, on Royal which embraces using your phone for your boarding pass, I seem to always be stuck behind someone flipping through an entire notebook of paperwork looking for their boarding pass. Meanwhile I simply swipe between apps for each of my documents.

Or you could end up behind someone trying to pull it up on their phone and can't find where they saved it on their phone, or can't get the app to open, or their battery is dead, or any other reason, when they could have just pulled out the printed boarding passes.  Even if it's just as a back up, it's always best to have printed boarding passes regardless of it being required on your particular cruise line, ship or port.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Ferry_Watcher said:

In Seattle we ask folks who are not ready to step aside and try to wave as many folks who are ready for the ‘show and go’ to pass by.  No sense in making everyone else wait.  ;  )

Just like the airport and dinner on the cruise. 🙂

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, jam19872016 said:

You do need a printed copy, but no need to print it yourself. Before you join the line ask one of the nice folks directing people where to go to have your boarding pass printed, or look for the person with a small printer on their hip.

They will print a small slip of paper, which will be stamped by the agent checking you in, and that is the reason you need a physical copy. They can even look you up by last name if you forget your cabin number but it will be better to have your cabin number handy.

I can't tell you how many times I've waited in line for the customer in front of me search their phone for the right app, or can't get service or can't find what they are looking for.  I think most people who have printed their boarding pass have it handy.  Like when boarding a plane, ticket in hand.

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, Old Fart Cruisers said:

Or you could end up behind someone trying to pull it up on their phone and can't find where they saved it on their phone, or can't get the app to open, or their battery is dead, or any other reason, when they could have just pulled out the printed boarding passes.  Even if it's just as a back up, it's always best to have printed boarding passes regardless of it being required on your particular cruise line, ship or port.

Or have a family of 6, like flipping thru airline boarding passes on a phone..really annoying..

• Like 3

54 minutes ago, Old Fart Cruisers said:

At the risk of dragging this thread off topic. This is like when you get in line behind someone at McDonald's and they have to look at the menu to decide what they want to order. The menu hasn't changed since 1985! Or they wait until the cashier tells them their total to pull out their billfold.

"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." - George Carlin

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Elaine5715 said:

Or have a family of 6, like flipping thru airline boarding passes on a phone..really annoying..

OMG, I didn't even think about this.   Now I don't feel so bad handing over my printed boarding pass.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, mz-s said:

At the risk of dragging this thread off topic. This is like when you get in line behind someone at McDonald's and they have to look at the menu to decide what they want to order. The menu hasn't changed since 1985! Or they wait until the cashier tells them their total to pull out their billfold.

"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." - George Carlin

I worked at a major upscale department store for 11 years.  There were always customers who have waited in line to check out, waited for me to ring up purchase, waited for me to  bag purchase and waited for me to give them the total for them to start looking for the right credit card.  They always have dozens of cards in their wallet and they can never find the one they are looking for.  Don't get me started on coupons.  But I digress.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, mz-s said:

Of course the menu changes and not just the prices. Someone stuck in a rut might not notice.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Butterbean1000 said:

I worked at a major upscale department store for 11 years.  There were always customers who have waited in line to check out, waited for me to ring up purchase, waited for me to  bag purchase and waited for me to give them the total for them to start looking for the right credit card.  They always have dozens of cards in their wallet and they can never find the one they are looking for.  Don't get me started on coupons.  But I digress.

After the person behind me at the grocery store annoys me, I will whip out my checkbook to pay.  I can stretch that out forever so don't hit me with your cart or start putting your stuff on the belt when I am not finished.  "What's the date"  "How much?"  "I always misspell twenty"  "how much"  "oops, this pen is dry"  .... 

• Haha 5

12 hours ago, jam19872016 said:

Royal's app usually works pretty well, but when i was boarding Harmony in Galveston last month the app just kept spinning when I tried to pull up my boarding pass to check in (and it wasn't my phone--I had a 4G or 5G signal and most or all bars). Luckily I had a printed a boarding pass a backup. 

Same reason I try to get a printed boarding pass for flights even if I plan to use the boarding pass on my phone. Plus if I need something from a gate agent, it's simplest just to hand them a boarding pass.

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, DallasGuy75219 said:

Royal's app usually works pretty well, but when i was boarding Harmony in Galveston last month the app just kept spinning when I tried to pull up my boarding pass to check in (and it wasn't my phone--I had a 4G or 5G signal and most or all bars). Luckily I had a printed a boarding pass a backup. 

Same reason I try to get a printed boarding pass for flights even if I plan to use the boarding pass on my phone. Plus if I need something from a gate agent, it's simplest just to hand them a boarding pass.

I was at the Sphere Las Vegas which is all electronic, cash less.  You need the TicketMaster app to buy and use tickets for entry.  The media then includes a warning to download your virtual ticket into your phone "wallet" because they warn of "connectivity issues on site" and screenshots will not work..

You should definitely print it, but in the off chance you don't or can't there's usually someone at the terminal asking if you need to print your boarding pass.

Just find that person and they should be able to direct you to a place where you can print it before proceeding to the line for your arrival appointment.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Elaine5715 said:

I was at the Sphere Las Vegas which is all electronic, cash less.  You need the TicketMaster app to buy and use tickets for entry.  The media then includes a warning to download your virtual ticket into your phone "wallet" because they warn of "connectivity issues on site" and screenshots will not work..

Most (if not all?) concert venues, sports venues, theaters and other public venues have been cashless for years. When you download your tickets to your digital wallet, you do not need any connectivity for them to work. We go to concerts often and I am a season ticket holder for both basketball and football at my college and both stopped using physical tickets several years ago. 

• Like 1