Watching Deals and Sales On Oceania Cruises for Sport

Sthrngary

Mailing is to get your attention.  With no prices printed, prices can fluctuate.  
The price increases this year have been high on some sailings. Adding Simply More has been welcomed by some people.  People who don’t drink liquor or take excursion find Simply More an added expense with no value.  
By separating the price of the cruise and the air can attract some bookings. It may attract guests who book 1+ years out.  Previously booking with air, you knew your real cost. Airfares are not listed until 11 months before you fly. By separating the cruise fare from the airfare, Oceania protects itself from possible increases in airfares. Many cruise lines sell cruise separating it from air.  I especially like it when cruise lines offer guests air with many options.  On previous O cruises I only booked with air if it was attractive.  I prefer booking my own air.

• Like 1

I've been seeing some funky pricing (price does not end in 99 or 49) come and go recently on my favorite sites. If you like to play "guess which cruise is going on sale", the funky priced ones are a good bet. Hint: the ones on sale will not be the ones that are selling well 😉 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 6/26/2024 at 8:29 PM, FetaCheese said:

Received today in U.S. Mail:  

The sale most likely will begin 01 July.  QR Code just took you to O website -- Find a Cruise page.IMG_20240626_212050131.thumb.jpg.2c02ec72d338f480add4d8fed8ed6738.jpgIMG_20240626_212020675.thumb.jpg.4f4d6b5a5563edb8135037b87dd1c322.jpg

Orange card bound into inside front cover/Page 1

IMG_20240626_212534490.thumb.jpg.638a8483335063538216869e36965720.jpg

@FetaCheese I saw your post and got giddy.  I could not wait to wake up, this morning and see the fantastic results especially on the cruise I am booked on in October 2025.  Where my normal routine is to look at Cruise Information Last int he morning, not today.  Today, I looked at it first. There is was, finally the information I was looking for.

My upcoming cruise, a 10-day Mediterranean cruise on the Oceania Vista for October 2025 fare went up $400+ per person, per category.  Not only was there no sale on this itinerary, there was a price increase. 

My reaction, I was just fine.  Why?  I purchased the cruise with my friends while cruising on Oceana November 2023.  They gave us a discount for booking so far in advance, a discount for booking on the ship, and OBC for booking on the ship.  At the time, the Excursion Credit was $800.00 per cabin, a few months later it was reduced to $600.00 per cabin.  Price of the fare were increased twice so far.  

This stream is about looking at Oceania Fares to find a great deal for SPORT.  It seems, this sport for me was buying early.  Sometimes it is sale awareness, sometimes it is booking early and sometimes is it simply pure luck.  I would rather be lucky then smart. 

Cruise well and enjoy every moment. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, Sthrngary said:

... I could not wait to wake up, this morning and see the fantastic results especially on the cruise I am booked on in October 2025.  Where my normal routine is to look at Cruise Information Last in the morning, not today.  Today, I looked at it first. There it was, finally the information I was looking for. My upcoming cruise, a 10-day Mediterranean cruise on the Oceania Vista for October 2025 fare went up $400+ per person, per category.  Not only was there no sale on this itinerary, there was a price increase.... 

In light of O's revenue enhancements (higher prices) over the past year, I had no such positive feeling this am. And didn't change my routine. To say I'm unimpressed with the sale would be an understatement. This isn't the ESS or even a cabin upgrade sale from 2021 or 2022.

On the only cruise in 2025 I've been watching, I'm not seeing any "sale" price. Essentially the old list price from last fall.

O is making the "sport" harder, for it is getting much more difficult to get a great fare off of a public sale. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, MEFIowa said:

O is making the "sport" harder, for it is getting much more difficult to get a great fare off of a public sale. 

@MEFIowa You bet they are making the sport harder.  Can you imagine how it will feel when due to our strategy, patience, historical decisions that one day in the not to distant future; we see the perfect FARE (or NOT).  

Reality is just that reality.  Some will cruise regardless of fares, other will attempt to wait for the opportunities that make cruising good for them. That is why it is a SPORT.  Just good conversation and maybe, just maybe a pleasant value in the future.  Who knows, stranger things have happened. At least on this social media board, we all like cruising. 

Maybe it is time for all of us to simply bite the bullet and go on the Ritz-Carlton Yacht Collection at 3X the Oceania Fare.  Or maybe Regent Seven Seas.  Both GREAT brands with very loyal followings.  After blowing all our budgets on either of those two outstanding brands, I will have enough money to cruise again in 2028.  The alternative is to not cruise and wait for cruising prices to come down.  That will be a very long wait I am afraid.  

In life, we have choices, everyone has different reasons for those choices.  Who is to say who is right? We can never forget one of those choices is simply NOT to cruise or take a vacation.  I am not quite there yet but it is getting close.

Cruise well and enjoy every moment. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Sthrngary said:

You bet they are making the sport harder.  ... The alternative is to not cruise and wait for cruising prices to come down.  That will be a very long wait I am afraid. ... We can never forget one of those choices is simply NOT to cruise or take a vacation.  I am not quite there yet but it is getting close.

Though in general due to overall worldwide inflationary pressure, absolute prices aren't likely to come down. The issue is whether purchasing power of retirees is seriously impacted in a negative manner. And whether purchasing power for workers can match or offset the price increases. Only time will tell. As we each make our individual choices, O will see the collective impact on their bookings and occupancies. But no matter what, they have $12B in debt to work down, too.

For 2025, I think we're inclined to take the traditional 2-week destination vacation. May even drive!

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Sthrngary said:

... Reality is just that reality.  Some will cruise regardless of fares, other will attempt to wait for the opportunities that make cruising good for them....  

The sociological data POST-Covid seems to indicate that people are prioritizing more travel, they want experiences not things. Bodes well for travel industry, if it holds up in long run. Or at least for say 5 or so years.

In economic terms, it means the demand curve has shifted. People are willing to pay higher prices for vacations that provide the desired experiences.

Looking forward to August cruise of the Mediterranean on Riviera.

While onboard am planning on booking 2026 February cruise on the new Allura on a Miami to Miami route. The Penthouse 3 went UP $200. per person since yesterday!

Guess certain cruises will suffer for the cruises on sale! 😉

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, MEFIowa said:

The sociological data POST-Covid seems to indicate that people are prioritizing more travel, they want experiences not things. Bodes well for travel industry, if it holds up in long run. Or at least for say 5 or so years.

In economic terms, it means the demand curve has shifted. People are willing to pay higher prices for vacations that provide the desired experiences.

I, too am glad to see the cruise industry coming back from the brink.  My concern is the mainstream lines building more and more mega sized ships.  Locations are restricting and limiting the number of available ports of call whether doing complete bans or restricting the number of passengers onboard a visiting ship.  Places like Venice, Bora Bora and now Bar Harbor are making it so that only the smaller boutique lines will be able to visit.  As more destinations restrict cruise ships, the larger lines may end up spending most of their time going to their own private enclaves rather than more desirable locations.  In effect, this could reduce the image of the cruise industry to the same as the all-inclusive resorts.  If that happens, I think the public will not be shelling out more than they can afford to cruise, so they will begin to book more land-based vacations.  If the value of the cruise lines decline, it will cause the smaller boutique lines to need to keep increasing their prices.  I don't see the 'sales' being what they used to be on any cruise line, small or large.  Just my 2 cents (maybe now it's my five cents...)

• Like 3

I agree with Daniel A above. We booked a Baltic cruise for Sept-Oct this year because it was outside the normal summer season thus fewer tourists (though we will be tourists.)

The Tourist Dilemma.

I checked port calls and no cruise ship will be at any location at the same day(s) as we during our cruise.

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, jonthomas said:

A very underwhelming sale, but not surprising.

Hardly a sale at all really!

In fact the cruise I’m waitlisted for in October has actually reduced in price by £440pp but it’s waitlisted! So guess that can charge as little as they like because there aren’t any cabins available in the grade I want. Not sure if the ‘available’ B grades have reduced in price. I think they must have.

Interestingly there is no ‘fanfare’ about flights being an ‘extra’ now. If I’d not know from here that flights were to be excluded I don’t think I would have noticed they are no longer included!

24 minutes ago, ORV said:

Was there a sale advertised? I just thought July 1 was when the price was going up and air was no longer included. 

Summer Sale…..on their website now.  And yes accompanied by the regular quarterly price increases. We have a booked cruise for next June.  We booked while onboard in February.  The price for our A2 has now increased from $8099 to $8999 between the April and now July increases. Since booked onboard we actually got for $7899. So….it would certainly seem if you are interested in a popular itinerary, book early. Supply and demand at work. 

• Like 1

Travel prices are up significantly regardless of what type of vacation it is.  Cruising and land-based. Hotel and restaurant prices are up dramatically from just a few years ago.  We all know that. Road trips aren't going to be cheap. As an example, we were recently on a road trip and stopped at Arby's along the interstate for lunch.   2 roast beef sandwiches, one order of fries and one soft drink that we shared was $20.50. 

No matter what type of vacation you are planning, be prepared to shell out a bunch of money.

Just My Opinion. 

• Like 6

4 hours ago, Daniel A said:

Places like Venice, Bora Bora and now Bar Harbor are making it so that only the smaller boutique lines will be able to visit.  As more destinations restrict cruise ships, the larger lines may end up spending most of their time going to their own private enclaves rather than more desirable locations. 

Existing smaller ships facing restrictions as well.

IE: Certain Norwegian fjords in 2026 restrictions depending on their emissions.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, sunlover12 said:

Travel prices are up significantly regardless of what type of vacation it is.  Cruising and land-based. Hotel and restaurant prices are up dramatically from just a few years ago.  We all know that. Road trips aren't going to be cheap. As an example, we were recently on a road trip and stopped at Arby's along the interstate for lunch.   2 roast beef sandwiches, one order of fries and one soft drink that we shared was $20.50. 

No matter what type of vacation you are planning, be prepared to shell out a bunch of money.

Just My Opinion. 

Wanna spend a pile, take the kids or grandkids, or great grandkids to an amusement park. Wee Doggies. Or a big tourist area. One of the times I'm glad I don't have any, and I do like other people's kids and my nieces and nephews, but I ain't footing the bill for them at any of those places.