Beverage Package price increase??

uktog

It has been reported on the newbies thread that on Journey the Ultimate Beverage package price has been hiked from $26.95 to $39.95.  

Whilst Azamara package always was quite competitive and maybe an increase was due this is not a small increase its eye watering especially considering what some other lines charge.  Case in point Viking - ok have to buy for all in the cabin and for all the cruise but it is $25 and that is to come from only wine at meals to a wider wine and spirits list than on the Ultimate.  For us $80 a day supplement to move up from the included drinks is an absolute step too far.  What do others think.  If this increase is going to be applied fleet wide will you still buy a beverage package?

PS it looks like the difference price between the premium and ultimate package is staying broadly the same at $8

8 minutes ago, Mackdogmolly said:

I think it’s a crazy leap in price. I wonder if there is also going to be an increase in the premium package.

There is. It’s gone to $31.95

• Thanks 1

I just completed a BtoB on Onward and upgraded to the ultimate beverage package on both segments for $26.95 per day with 20% off that price for my Discoverer Plus loyalty level.  I first noticed the upgrade price for the ulitmate package had been increased by $3.00 per day to $26.95 in November last year when I received an email from Azamara.  Why would they implement another, more severe, price increase 3 months later?  Regards, Paul

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, laurieb said:

I've had it confirmed by a F & B manager 😞

Thanks.  

I do not know what has prompted such a steep increase as @paf225 says so hard on the back of a previous increase.   @oddjob16  is so right, the wine isnt worth it if indeed they have it in stock.  I am going to work out what I will do as on our last cruise the included rose was undrinkable and the sparkling water had had a bubbles bypass.  Absolute bummer with the cruise being so close.  

At least the last time Viking increased the price of their Silver Package they set a date the price would apply AND emailed existing bookers offering them the opportunity to buy then at the existing price.  Much more transparent in my mind.

Does anyone know the current corkage price?  

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, uktog said:

Thanks.  

I do not know what has prompted such a steep increase as @paf225 says so hard on the back of a previous increase.   @oddjob16  is so right, the wine isnt worth it if indeed they have it in stock.  I am going to work out what I will do as on our last cruise the included rose was undrinkable and the sparkling water had had a bubbles bypass.  Absolute bummer with the cruise being so close.  

At least the last time Viking increased the price of their Silver Package they set a date the price would apply AND emailed existing bookers offering them the opportunity to buy then at the existing price.  Much more transparent in my mind.

Does anyone know the current corkage price?  

The website still has the old price if you were to purchase before your cruise, but of course no loyalty discount.  Would still be cheaper...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, laurieb said:

The website still has the old price if you were to purchase before your cruise, but of course no loyalty discount.  Would still be cheaper...

Trouble is I’ve obc I need to use. Doubt I can but I will call tomorrow. Mind I also have to watch what exchange rate they apply

Why is it never straight forward 😂

We wouldn’t be upgrading at this increased cost. Our main reason for upgrading is for the Whispering Angel and Atlas Bar cocktails if we’re on the Onward. On our last cruise in March they didn’t have Whispering Angel and I wasn’t too keen on the substitution. 

• Like 1

On the 2nd leg of my last cruise (ending Feb. 3) I decided to forgo the ultimate package which seemed like an obscene amount of $ to pay for a drinking habit, even with the 20% discount.  Opted instead to have one good "signature" drink at $10 and consume some bottles of wine I had brought on board.  I do find myself drinking more than is appropriate for me when I've shelled out the cash. And you can now hang out in atlas bar and drink all kinds of cocktails  - not just the Atlas bar ones. I missed the nonstop Pelligrino but also felt guilty about all the glass bottles i was using.  And the onboard water actually tastes very good.  Crazy increase.  

• Like 2

5 hours ago, paf225 said:

....I first noticed the upgrade price for the ulitmate package had been increased by $3.00 per day to $26.95 in November last year when I received an email from Azamara.  Why would they implement another, more severe, price increase 3 months later?....

In the belief they'd make a greater contribution to their bottom line, but a significant reduction in uptake may scupper such plan!

• Like 1

The price increase seems excessive, but if enough people pay the high price, then Azamara was right in increasing it.  If the bars are empty or everybody is drinking the included drinks, then Azamara made a mistake.

@java spot may have stated the way I feel:  If I pay for a package, I end up drinking more than I should.  I don't wake up with a headache when I don't buy a drink package (EDIT:  OK, sometimes I buy too many bottles in port).

I wouldn't be surprised if we will see price increases in everything that Azamara sells.  If I was one of the Sycamore Partners private equity investors, I would demand higher profits each year.   

Personally, I would love to read a thread on Sycamore Partners and how private equity works.  I am not a finance expert but love to learn.

• Like 2

On Journey right now. Signed up for ultimate and was shocked at USD39.95. Still went with it but then found there’s no Whispering Angel or Shiraz on the ship. Chilean Cab Sav. If we’re paying this amount, we’ll certainly factor it in to any price comparison with Seabourn cruises in future.

I asked for a replacement shiraz in Aquilina last night and was only offered the one  they supply as included. Allegedly supply line issues. I’m more than prepared to believe it’s all part of profit margin maximisation, which is evident in Windows  also. I assume their  website still shows the old

ultimate price, as it did just before we started this cruise.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On the other hand maybe we shouldn’t be too surprised that the price has gone up. I don’t know about in other parts of the world but in the UK drink prices have gone up a lot, along with everything else. The wines we mostly drink have gone up about 30% over the last 18 months or so, and spirits are dearer too.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, AJCM said:

On Journey right now. Signed up for ultimate and was shocked at USD39.95. Still went with it but then found there’s no Whispering Angel or Shiraz on the ship. Chilean Cab Sav. If we’re paying this amount, we’ll certainly factor it in to any price comparison with Seabourn cruises in future.

I asked for a replacement shiraz in Aquilina last night and was only offered the one  they supply as included. Allegedly supply line issues. I’m more than prepared to believe it’s all part of profit margin maximisation, which is evident in Windows  also. I assume their  website still shows the old

ultimate price, as it did just before we started this cruise.

I would be speaking to the Hotel Director about this. Hopefully you get a price adjustment on what you paid. Good luck and smooth sailing 

9 minutes ago, Grandma Cruising said:

On the other hand maybe we shouldn’t be too surprised that the price has gone up. I don’t know about in other parts of the world but in the UK drink prices have gone up a lot, along with everything else. The wines we mostly drink have gone up about 30% over the last 18 months or so, and spirits are dearer too.

Given that the package was $21.95 18 months ago as I recall this increase is way above 30%
Azamara probably profited from us having the package. We did not drink more, we drank better so our cost to them was difference price. There was also a convenience factor. Our daily consumption in addition to sparkling water was one drink in the day one pre dinner drink two glasses wine and usually but not always one post dinner. 
Given drink is supposed to be an included product I wonder how many others are like us $42 a day was fine to enjoy better quality products $80 is far too much. And even worse if you then find these products aren’t there anyway. 
Very disappointing and whilst Azamara may back track to a more reasonable figure in due course unfortunately yet again as has happened quite a few times before I’m probably be caught in the “experiment failed” group 

• Like 5

Thanks for the tip, uktog. Bar manager has been in touch and we’re getting looked after in wine selection; so, a good result for the squeaky wheel, but I think such action should not have to occur - they need to be proactively much better than this; irrespective of supply line issues (which are overt and need to be planned for).

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, AJCM said:

Thanks for the tip, uktog. Bar manager has been in touch and we’re getting looked after in wine selection; so, a good result for the squeaky wheel, but I think such action should not have to occur - they need to be proactively much better than this; irrespective of supply line issues (which are overt and need to be planned for).

Glad to hear you’re getting a good result. Many folks will respect Azamara more if they are honest up front. We all can accept issues if combined with honesty. Selling packages knowing they can’t deliver what’s advertised is an example where more honest communication is needed. 
Enjoy the wines!