Beverage Package price increase??

uktog

3 hours ago, AJCM said:

Thanks for the tip, uktog. Bar manager has been in touch and we’re getting looked after in wine selection; so, a good result for the squeaky wheel, but I think such action should not have to occur - they need to be proactively much better than this; irrespective of supply line issues (which are overt and need to be planned for).

Glad you have received satisfaction here, but you are right. This should not have to happen. It seems to be a regular occurrence. It's really not good, especially if you are asking your guests to swallow (pun intended) a big uptick in the price you are charging. Guests are not stupid. 

Enjoy the rest of your cruise. 

Phil 

I have just called - here is the upshot

1.  Quoted £387 per person for the ultimate package

2.  Advised I cannot use the remaining OBC left over from an excursion booking - its general OBC not excursion only OBC

3.  Suggested I book on ship to use it and get the Loyalty discount (I knew that would be the case if I wanted the discount I had to do onboard)

4.  So I asked her what the onboard package price was and she said $21.95 a day.

I did not book the £387 offer which by my maths equates to $28.95 or so per day, I am needing to be able to use up that OBC

It was a wholly unsatisfactory call give how she responded to a query on shore excursion pricing but I will post that on the Shorex thread.

I hate to be so negative about a line I have loved and been such a major part of my travel life and to which I should actually be looking forward to sailing on next week and in April but they just keep getting things so wrong and I cannot cope with this inconsistent poor service any more

PS My travel agent has given up on them and has been very honest with me why given an issue with a previous booking I had we had to cancel and what happened after, some of which I have only just become aware of

Edited by uktog
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, uktog said:

I would be speaking to the Hotel Director about this. Hopefully you get a price adjustment on what you paid. Good luck and smooth sailing 

Wish I had done that on Viking. Many of the wines and some of the spirits promised in the SS package were not available. I suspect it wouldn’t have done any good though.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Mackdogmolly said:

Wish I had done that on Viking. Many of the wines and some of the spirits promised in the SS package were not available. I suspect it wouldn’t have done any good though.

It would actually, when we were on Viking there were gaps and they made adjustments when we raised the issue.  We spoke with the GM - their equivalent to Hotel Director - who sits in an office with an open door so guests can find them and speak when they are not in meetings or about the ship

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, vanman said:

The experience more packages have not gone up in price…. Yet

Have just booked a cruise for 2025. Is it possible to book an experience more package at prevailing rate now and will this protect me from any price increase ?

Thanks

3 minutes ago, kool kruiser said:

Have just booked a cruise for 2025. Is it possible to book an experience more package at prevailing rate now and will this protect me from any price increase ?

Thanks

Yes, you can do it online or by calling.  We have done it for all upcoming cruises where it seems like a good deal.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, kool kruiser said:

Thanks

Yes, as soon as your cruise is under deposit, you can purchase online.

2 hours ago, uktog said:

I hate to be so negative about a line I have loved and been such a major part of my travel life and to which I should actually be looking forward to sailing on next week and in April but they just keep getting things so wrong and I cannot cope with this inconsistent poor service any more

I have read your posts for a while, uktog, and I have noticed the decline of your opinion on Azamara.  It is disappointing 😪

Azamara also has been a significant part of my recent travel life, and I am still looking forward to our upcoming multiple booked trips with them.   I hope Azamara doesn't lose loyalists like you and others, because unhappy customers will yield empty sailings, and this will bring about a lot more problems.

I may (MAY) understand or tolerate some reasonable price increases and cost cuts, but unhelpful onshore staff and still deficient website could also diminish my satisfaction and make me look somewhere else.  At this point, onboard experience is prompting me to stay faithful.

We used to blame some problems on Mrs Cabezas, but she is gone now.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

As a positive I called Azamara directly today instead of going through my travel agent. The call was picked up in less than 2 minutes. The purpose of the call was my OBC on the website didn't match what was due tome. They confirmed it shows on their records including the refer OBC credit that is not reflected on the website. The representative was ready to take any excursion order and apply the OBC. Excellent onshore representative.

Back on subject I might be considered a wine snob. I have a substantial cellar and do monthly blind tastings. I also recognize that many friends find inexpensive wines totally acceptable (ie the branded Azamara wines in the basic package). As a business there is no purpose providing a $30-$50/bottle wine when a $10 wine is found acceptable. In California the restaurant mark up on wine is 2.5 to 3 times cost.  That means the $33 bottle I might typically drink would be $100 when served at a restaurant. I gladly pay $25 to $35 for corkage which might be higher in my area than other markets. Buying wine in port and paying $15 corkage on Azamara is a great deal. 

I do agree that the published wines should be available especially for the higher package. I also think the "Ultimate Package" wines might disappoint  as it did on my first Azamara Cruise. I have not bought wine bottles from Azamara so can't comment but that is another option available. 

• Like 5

I'll just add that we're again having a very enjoyable Azamara cruise. Kangaroo island tomorrow (we're anchored just offshore at present, so there'll be pool deck dancing after the late show tonight. Adelaide for 2 days follows, including Azamazing off ship, for The James Morrison quintet (jazz).

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, AJCM said:

I'll just add that we're again having a very enjoyable Azamara cruise. Kangaroo island tomorrow (we're anchored just offshore at present, so there'll be pool deck dancing after the late show tonight. Adelaide for 2 days follows, including Azamazing off ship, for The James Morrison quintet (jazz).

James Morrison delivers an excellent evening one of our memorable ones - enjoy! 

• Like 1

Currently onboard Journey. Bought indulgence package just before we boarded. Price was the same as it had been for the last few months. One of the nice surprises was onboard credit included which should have been $700 for excursions and $250 for spa was changed to $950 that can be spent on anything with no restrictions. Another nice surprise was “Atlas Cocktails” are available in The Den. On a less positive note a few of the wines advertised in the ultimate package are not available and the internet is ok but pretty slow

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

Okay, I require some assistance. Can I buy the Ultimate Beverage Package with our OBCs? If I can great, and I would BUT if I can't and have to wait until on board, will go a la acrte on higher end alcohol and wine.Thanks for the assistance.

19 hours ago, Rus Tee said:

Currently onboard Journey. Bought indulgence package just before we boarded. Price was the same as it had been for the last few months. One of the nice surprises was onboard credit included which should have been $700 for excursions and $250 for spa was changed to $950 that can be spent on anything with no restrictions. Another nice surprise was “Atlas Cocktails” are available in The Den. On a less positive note a few of the wines advertised in the ultimate package are not available and the internet is ok but pretty slow

Did they tell you that the 950 could be spent on anything or did it just show up when you looked at your onboard account. When I asked guest relations, they said the 700 had to  be spent on shore excursions 

Newbie Azamara cruiser. Can you upgrade drinks and pay the individual price. DW is a gin snob and will only drink Hendricks/Botanist quality. On Celebrity you can pay the difference per drink which works at much cheaper than upgrading to their Premium package. 

She is an absolute dipsomaniac for sparkling water. Happy with supermarket quality at home as long as there are bubbles. Is it included?

We have enjoyed port intensive Oceania cruises without packages just drinking gin in the cabin and taking wine to the restaurants and paying the corkage.

Bit of a cheek Azamara charging corkage for own bought wine if their wine is poor.

1 hour ago, hawkesbaynz said:

Newbie Azamara cruiser. Can you upgrade drinks and pay the individual price. DW is a gin snob and will only drink Hendricks/Botanist quality. On Celebrity you can pay the difference per drink which works at much cheaper than upgrading to their Premium package. 

She is an absolute dipsomaniac for sparkling water. Happy with supermarket quality at home as long as there are bubbles. Is it included?

We have enjoyed port intensive Oceania cruises without packages just drinking gin in the cabin and taking wine to the restaurants and paying the corkage.

Bit of a cheek Azamara charging corkage for own bought wine if their wine is poor.

You can pay as you go for any drink. But whilst you can pay the difference price to upgrade any package, in terms of individual drinks you have to pay the full price. It’s about $9 for a Hendricks, no Botanist onboard last time I sailed 

There is included sparkling water, it’s typically either a very low cost brand or water carbonated onboard. Both are inconsistent in terms of how “flat” they are to taste. We found it hard to tolerate what Onward produced it had had a bubbles bypass, it was far better on Journey. I know that will all be down to personal taste so it’s a try it and see on that one. 

Thanks for asking and answering the question with regards sparkling water. When looking at the drinks packages I did wonder if any was available without paying for the upgrade or each time we wanted one. In terms of the gins offered the upgraded ones within the Premium drinks package were ideal for my wife who is another gin lover. Is there any information available as to the tonic waters that are available?

The price rises mentioned in this topic did finally prompt me to make a decision and purchase the premium drinks package as this covers my wife's gin needs and my desire to hopefully have a choice of non lager beers! I did think that if this doesn't work I could then pay onboard the small upgrade price for the Ultimate package. I'm now thinking that perhaps the upgrade price charged per day might be the difference between the lower price I have prepaid before the  cruise for the premium package and the post price increase of the Ultimate package when we actually cruise in June which will potentially be quite significant? Do you think this is the way it will be calculated? Thanks all for any clarification

On the basis of this knowledge, we decided to buy the Experience More - Short Voyage which is for voyages of 7 days or less.  With Ultimate Drinks at $39.95, even with 20% discount, that would be just short of $450 (US), add on the 2 lots of Onboard credit that come with the package ($300) , and 1 extra lot of laundry, and it just about pays for the $799 (US) cost gives us a 'free' Chefs Table.  The wifi part of the package is pointless for us, we have that anyway,

We had been on the 'cusp' of not buying the 7 days package, i suspect others may be inclined to purchase in advance now.

Let's See !

PS - I phoned up on Saturday afternoon to use our $600 OBC and the call was dealt with quickly & professionally.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Mrs Skip said:

On the basis of this knowledge, we decided to buy the Experience More - Short Voyage which is for voyages of 7 days or less.  With Ultimate Drinks at $39.95, even with 20% discount, that would be just short of $450 (US), add on the 2 lots of Onboard credit that come with the package ($300) , and 1 extra lot of laundry, and it just about pays for the $799 (US) cost gives us a 'free' Chefs Table.  The wifi part of the package is pointless for us, we have that anyway,

We had been on the 'cusp' of not buying the 7 days package, i suspect others may be inclined to purchase in advance now.

Let's See !

PS - I phoned up on Saturday afternoon to use our $600 OBC and the call was dealt with quickly & professionally.

Did you use your OBC to purchase the package?  We found a package the best value for South Africa but had to wait until we were onboard to purchase the package using our OBC.  I have put the enjoyments package into my basket for a future cruise along with excursions and if we could sort this now, that would be great.

Incidentally, on our last cruise, they had included the $250 spa credit towards our excursions which was very useful. 

I’m looking at the Experience More Essentials package for my B2B this year…12 days followed by 13 days.  I know that I would have to purchase 2 separate packages.  I have a few questions.  

Would the shore excursion credit be lumped together or would it stay separated at $300 for each leg?

The WiFi is described as WiFi Plus.  What does the “plus” mean?

Are you allowed to upgrade your drink package to the ultimate package for $8 per person per day?

I’m understanding that obc can now be rolled over to the next cruise if doing a b2b; I don’t know if the second cruises obc can be used on the first cruise though, hopefully someone with current experience will chime in.

As far as the package upgrade, I don’t believe that applies to packages purchased by guests but to complimentary packages included through a promotion when the cruise is booked.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Werangels said:

Did you use your OBC to purchase the package?  We found a package the best value for South Africa but had to wait until we were onboard to purchase the package using our OBC.  I have put the enjoyments package into my basket for a future cruise along with excursions and if we could sort this now, that would be great.

Incidentally, on our last cruise, they had included the $250 spa credit towards our excursions which was very useful. 

We had $600 OBC. I phoned up, the $600 OBC was applied and I paid the rest by credit card.  Within a few minutes the Experience More - Short Voyage was showing up on the voyage planner detailing what was included.  Not yet seen or tried to use the individual OBC (for Shore Excursion & Spa), happy to do that on board.

For me the differential from the 'old' days is the package can be purchased in advance using OBC.  And based on previous experience, will be waiting until on board to schedule the Chefs Table

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, Mrs Skip said:

We had $600 OBC. I phoned up, the $600 OBC was applied and I paid the rest by credit card.  Within a few minutes the Experience More - Short Voyage was showing up on the voyage planner detailing what was included.  Not yet seen or tried to use the individual OBC (for Shore Excursion & Spa), happy to do that on board.

For me the differential from the 'old' days is the package can be purchased in advance using OBC.  And based on previous experience, will be waiting until on board to schedule the Chefs Table

That’s great news.  I shall have to telephone to do the same. 

Thanks.

• Like 1