Oh, for the love of Cookies! Say it ain't so...

1 hour ago, cruiser2015 said:

I know.  I've never had an issue getting cookies.  But, if I did, it really isn't going to cause me to start an entire thread because I couldn't.

I know - it is kinda trite.  But it's one of the things many of us look forward to, and miss when they are gone.  Having Chocolate ganache is not quite the same, and it's hard to dip that in coffee...

Glad to see they are not gone from everywhere - yet.  For those of us not in the solo lounge, or in the Haven or with a butler, it's more challenging to find things sometimes.  Will be on a concentrated mission when we climb aboard our cruise soon.

• Like 1

Do I dare mention that I didn't get chocolate-covered strawberries on my last cruise? I got a plate of various candies and it was quite good. And much preferred in my case. Might have been a supply issue. 

Or wishful thinking that NCL finally got the message that some of us have allergies and don't eat strawberries...

11 hours ago, Birdnutty said:

I know - it is kinda trite.  But it's one of the things many of us look forward to, and miss when they are gone.  Having Chocolate ganache is not quite the same, and it's hard to dip that in coffee...

Glad to see they are not gone from everywhere - yet.  For those of us not in the solo lounge, or in the Haven or with a butler, it's more challenging to find things sometimes.  Will be on a concentrated mission when we climb aboard our cruise soon.

That wasn't me - Graphicguy said that.

Hey @detroitlions - I'm a day late. Yesterday's time in the bakery was crazy so I didn't have time to reflect on the vegan chocolate chip recipe! 

So, here goes, at a bakery scale, so you may need to reduce it just a tiny little bit. Also, we weigh ingredients, so get that kitchen scale out!

4,000g flour

4 tbsp baking powder

4 tsp baking powder

4 tbsp baking soda

2 tbsp salt, preferably of the sea

2 tsp sea salt

3,000g chocolate - I hope you know not to use milk chocolate 🐄

1,600g turbinado sugar - you don't want any of that pesky bone char white stuff!

1,760g brown sugar

1,968ml vegetable oil

1,120 ml H2O

Here's the directions, probably not verbatim, but I'll try not to confuse them.

In lg. bowl, whisk flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Be gentle with the chocolate chips. Don't be scurrying that whisk around haphazardly! Instead fold them like you fold your unmentionables. The cookie texture will thank you. 

In another bowl - yup, you're going to have dishes! - whisk all the sugar, vegetable oil, and water into a smooth, lovely mixture of love. 

Add flour mix to the sweet yum yum mix. Make sure the flour disappears and you can't see any more of it. This means the entire mixture is well incorporated. BUT, don't be mixing, mixing, mixing to Little Mix! The mix can't be over mixed. Yuck on those kind of cookies. Remember. Texture! Is your friend. 

Chill dough in the fridge for 12 hours. Kind of like where you want to be on a sultry afternoon in the Mississippi Bayou. 12 hours can equal overnight if you want to nap after all the mixing. 

Photo of yeast donuts frying to break up this long text!

image.thumb.jpeg.435b9d2ff3fdcfedba0b076b6a34aa8d.jpeg

Use a mashed tater scooper like they use in prison and schools to portion out those lovely little lumps of dehydrated taters. One scoop equals one cookie. Lay the cookie out on a parchment-lined parchment tray. After using your scooper, take a pinch of sea salt and top cookie with a nice little pinch. I like to roll the salt between my thumb and index finger feeling each grain as it gently sprinkles the cookie from about 6 inches high. 

To bake in a convection oven, set the oven to 350 and bake 12 minutes, turning the tray at the 6 minute mark. Once the cookies are nice and lightly browned on the outer edges and the center looks ooey gooey so good and unbaked, take those suckers out to cool. Be sure they cool! That chocolate is like Carnival's melting cake. You know....like lava! 

And enjoy each and every lovely, vegan morsel. 

Edited by cruiseny4life

On 2/21/2024 at 8:45 PM, julig22 said:

Do I dare mention that I didn't get chocolate-covered strawberries on my last cruise? I got a plate of various candies and it was quite good. And much preferred in my case. Might have been a supply issue. 

Or wishful thinking that NCL finally got the message that some of us have allergies and don't eat strawberries...

We would of preferred to receive the plate of various chocolate instead of the platinum strawberries last week!

55 minutes ago, cruiseny4life said:

Hey @detroitlions - I'm a day late. Yesterday's time in the bakery was crazy so I didn't have time to reflect on the vegan chocolate chip recipe! 

So, here goes, at a bakery scale, so you may need to reduce it just a tiny little bit. Also, we weigh ingredients, so get that kitchen scale out!

4,000g flour

4 tbsp baking powder

4 tsp baking powder

4 tbsp baking soda

2 tsp sea salt

1,600g turbinado sugar - you don't want any of that pesky bone char white stuff!

1,760g brown sugar

1,968ml vegetable oil

1,120 ml H2O

In lg. bowl, whisk flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Be gentle with the chocolate chips. Don't be scurrying that whisk around haphazardly! Instead fold them like you fold your unmentionables. The cookie texture will thank you. 

In another bowl - yup, you're going to have dishes! - whisk all the sugar, vegetable oil, and water into a smooth, lovely mixture of love. 

Add flour mix to the sweet yum yum mix. Make sure the flour disappears and you can't see any more of it. This means the entire mixture is well incorporated. BUT, don't be mixing, mixing, mixing to Little Mix! The mix can't be over mixed. Yuck on those kind of cookies. Remember. Texture! Is your friend. 

Chill dough in the fridge for 12 hours. Kind of like where you want to be on a sultry afternoon in the Mississippi Bayou. 12 hours can equal overnight if you want to nap after all the mixing. 

Use a mashed tater scooper like they use in prison and schools to portion out those lovely little lumps of dehydrated taters. One scoop equals one cookie. Lay the cookie out on a parchment-lined parchment tray. After using your scooper, take a pinch of sea salt and top cookie with a nice little pinch. I like to roll the salt between my thumb and index finger feeling each grain as it gently sprinkles the cookie from about 6 inches high. 

To bake in a convection oven, set the oven to 350 and bake 12 minutes, turning the tray at the 6 minute mark. Once the cookies are nice and lightly browned on the outer edges and the center looks ooey gooey so good and unbaked, take those suckers out to cool. Be sure they cool! That chocolate is like Carnival's melting cake. You know....like lava! 

That sounds like a PhD dissertation with the combined metric and English measures.

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, cruiseny4life said:

4,000g flour

4 tbsp baking powder

4 tsp baking powder

4 tbsp baking soda

2 tsp sea salt

1,760g brown sugar

1,968ml vegetable oil

1,120 ml H2O

Hey, when did you upstate guys switch over to the metric system?

• Haha 2

On 2/23/2024 at 9:31 AM, cruiseny4life said:

the vegan chocolate chip recipe!

<snip>

4,000g flour

4 tbsp baking powder

4 tsp baking powder

4 tbsp baking soda

<snip>

baking powder twice ?   So 16 teaspoons - ⅓ cup ?

1 hour ago, CruisnHallelujahs said:

On sky presently and the cookies found me!  (In a suite). Did go looking for them at tea time today and only found scones and various cakes.  Welcome chocolate dipped fruit were strawberries and pineapple.  Love the pineapple for a change. 

IMG_7544.jpeg

Looks familiar. Just off the Jade. Chocolate pineapple made a yummy and welcome change. Cookies not generally available except, we were told, via a Room Service order. RIP Cookies; however, did get cookies, from time to time, by requesting them from our wait staff in the complimentary dining room. Where there’s a will…

• Like 2

chocolate covered pineapple does sound like a welcome change.  They actually forgot to bring anything on my last cruise.  I just let it go.  now, I'm going to be hoping for pineapple....  At least I know I'll get my pineapple fix in Moderno 🙂 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ChrysFox said:

baking powder twice ?   So 16 teaspoons - ⅓ cup ?

I made a mistake. See my quote below for an updated recipe....yikes! That's a lot of baking powder. The two entries are correct. The third should be soda. Powder powder is 4 Tablespoons and 4 teaspoons. Baking soda is 4 Tablespoons.

On 2/23/2024 at 9:31 AM, cruiseny4life said:

4,000g flour

4 tbsp baking powder

4 tsp baking powder

4 tbsp baking SODA

2 tsp sea salt

1,760g brown sugar

1,968ml vegetable oil

1,120 ml H2O

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, dbrown84 said:

chocolate covered pineapple does sound like a welcome change.  They actually forgot to bring anything on my last cruise.  I just let it go.  now, I'm going to be hoping for pineapple....  At least I know I'll get my pineapple fix in Moderno 🙂 

Moderno pineapple… 👍 👍 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, dbrown84 said:

I love hearing that some are now getting chocolate pineapple!  We were able to get it from our Butler on a couple of cruises and it was delish😋

And, my favorite item from Moderno is that pineapple.....yum!

• Like 1

On 2/23/2024 at 8:31 AM, cruiseny4life said:

4,000g flour

4 tbsp baking powder

4 tsp baking powder

4 tbsp baking soda

2 tsp sea salt

1,760g brown sugar

1,968ml vegetable oil

1,120 ml H2O

This mixture of grams, teaspoons, tablespoons, and milliliters is impossible. Ain't nobody got time for that...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 2/20/2024 at 8:52 AM, graphicguy said:

But, saying "Americans" have no idea of what a biscuit is, I don't quite understand.  Hell.....they have biscuits and gravy at every Mickey Ds in the country (maybe the world).  I think we all know what biscuits are.

I got a heart shaped cookie for Valentine's Day.  Was that not a cookie I ate?

I guess I can't follow the points you are trying to make with "Americans".

the poster included an image of a package of "biscuits" in his post. it said "biscuit" on the label. but they were not doughy pillows made from all-purpose flour, baking powder, sugar, salt, butter, and milk... the kind you might pour sausage gravy over... the kind most americans would recognize as a "biscuit" ... the kind you keep referring to when you insist that americans know what "biscuits" are.

these were cookies in european packaging, labeled as "biscuits."

i was referring to that image in my post when i said that most americans would not know what a "biscuit" is. it was in no way a derisive comment about americans... simply an observation that, for the most part, what americans call a "cookie" is called a "biscuit" throughout the UK and parts of europe.

that is all.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, UKstages said:

the poster included an image of a package of "biscuits" in his post. it said "biscuit" on the label. but they were not doughy pillows made from all-purpose flour, baking powder, sugar, salt, butter, and milk... the kind you might pour sausage gravy over... the kind most americans would recognize as a "biscuit" ... the kind you keep referring to when you insist that americans know what "biscuits" are.

these were cookies in european packaging, labeled as "biscuits."

i was referring to that image in my post when i said that most americans would not know what a "biscuit" is. it was in no way a derisive comment about americans... simply an observation that, for the most part, what americans call a "cookie" is called a "biscuit" throughout the UK and parts of europe.

that is all.

We're all glad that's cleared up.  Martha Stewart was losing sleep over this.

Edited by graphicguy
  • Like 1
  • Haha 5

While I empathize with those who really miss their cookies/biscuits, I have not heard of serious consequences from not having a cookie/biscuits other than to the cruise line due to backlash. I do believe peeps should have their opinions known & hopefully NCL has staff that monitor these boards & take the opinions submitted seriously & bring cookies back. However, I think I'll still be here tomorrow if I don't get a cookie...truly a 1st nation crisis :classic_ohmy:...just saying...

• Haha 1

35 minutes ago, CruisnHallelujahs said:

I’m too lazy to go looking for cookies around the ship but our suite received more cookies and more pineapple.  Yum.

IMG_7597.jpeg

IMG_7582.jpeg

Oh, I have to ask...what kind of suite? Haven or other? I wish we had received that vegetable platter. It looks great!

5 hours ago, cruiseny4life said:

Oh, I have to ask...what kind of suite? Haven or other? I wish we had received that vegetable platter. It looks great!

We have been very happy with the variety.  Hopefully my picture of room description loads…

IMG_7598.jpeg