Retreat Guests Interactions With Crew

3boyz2keep

On our last cruise 11 years ago, my DH and I requested to be seated at a larger table in the MDR with other passengers (old school)😀.   In the past it had always been a good and enhancing part of our cruise experience.  There was  a couple who were frequent cruises and they boasted how they had learned to complain frequently so that they would be comped extra perks.  We watched them repeatedly complain about the food at every meal (sending things back and demanding the meals be remade), weak drinks, slow service, etc.  demanding to speak to the maitre d and sure enough, they received future cruise credits, on board cash, bottles of wine etc.  We were embarrassed and even though we didn’t know them, we felt shame and felt like we wanted to be even nicer to the staff to make up for their bad behavior.  This really wasn’t fair to us either because it would have been nice to just enjoy the food and service, naturally.  This time around we will request a table for 2 and if we make friends onboard that we would like to dine with one night, maybe we will splurge with them for a specialty restaurant dinner.  

• Like 6

We met a similar couple about 10 years ago.  They had a 600 sq ft condo where they kept their belongs and traveled most of the time.  They did cruises or an occasion AI resort.  They proudly explained to the rest of us how they booked the lowest level cabin (or room at a AI) and immediately started complaining ( including bring dead bugs with them) to see how far they could get upgraded or get credits for future stays.   Why anyone would think this is something to brag about is beyond me.  But I must say they were the 2nd most memorable couple we have met while traveling.

• Like 4

Stood in line for toast one morning and when the guy ahead saw the dark toast he yelled at the for crew member calling him an idiot for burning the toast. I quickly stepped up and said  " oh , that toast looks perfect. May I have it?" I walked away smiling and ditched it out of sight.  

• Like 9

8 hours ago, HopefulCruiser123 said:

On our last cruise 11 years ago, my DH and I requested to be seated at a larger table in the MDR with other passengers (old school)😀.   In the past it had always been a good and enhancing part of our cruise experience.  There was  a couple who were frequent cruises and they boasted how they had learned to complain frequently so that they would be comped extra perks.  We watched them repeatedly complain about the food at every meal (sending things back and demanding the meals be remade), weak drinks, slow service, etc.  demanding to speak to the maitre d and sure enough, they received future cruise credits, on board cash, bottles of wine etc.  We were embarrassed and even though we didn’t know them, we felt shame and felt like we wanted to be even nicer to the staff to make up for their bad behavior.  This really wasn’t fair to us either because it would have been nice to just enjoy the food and service, naturally.  This time around we will request a table for 2 and if we make friends onboard that we would like to dine with one night, maybe we will splurge with them for a specialty restaurant dinner.  

it will come to the point that those types of folks will not be allowed to book again. Ship customer software is the same as land hotel software.  The agent can see everything that you have ever commented on on your profile. No resson for any company to allow that to happen more than twice. 

• Like 3

We were waiting to go into the Blu when a woman demanded she be allowed to bring in a non Aqua gentleman. Boy she was so loud and aggressive… going to have the manager fired etc.  Unreal. The manager remained very calm and polite and firmly denied her.   We went to him and said if there were any problems, we would vouch for him as well as the host.    We went to Guest Services and complimented the manager and staff explaining what we witnessed 

people would not be having a great holiday if it weren’t for the hard working staff.  

• Like 4

12 hours ago, HopefulCruiser123 said:

The cruise lines have caught up with cruisers like this. There was a person who used to post here on CC and she and her family always complained to the point where RCG banned them for life. Last I saw she had become a MSC cruiser. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Just off the Apex yesterday and my wife and I were talking about how nice was to see how respectful and appreciative pretty much everyone seemed in Luminae, the Lounge and on the pool deck. We expected to see some entitlement, but saw literally nothing that resembled that. 

The staff is so incredible…perpetually smiling while working their butts off. Remembering guest names, and being as helpful as they can be.  

How anyone can be rude to them is beyond me. 

• Like 11

22 hours ago, keesar said:

Unfortunately, this does happen.  Entitlement. I have met these guests who introduce themselves as being double zeniths.  Who cares except them?  

Aloha. Agree. On another board, an entitled constantly reminds everyone they are President Club members.  On a world cruise. They are ridiculed on other sites. It is annoying especially for 4 months lol!

18 minutes ago, CruisinShips said:

Just off the Apex yesterday and my wife and I were talking about how nice was to see how respectful and appreciative pretty much everyone seemed in Luminae, the Lounge and on the pool deck. We expected to see some entitlement, but saw literally nothing that resembled that. 

The staff is so incredible…perpetually smiling while working their butts off. Remembering guest names, and being as helpful as they can be.  

How anyone can be rude to them is beyond me. 

We were on the same sailing and agree, GREAT staff, passengers were more chill thank I have seen on recent trips.

• Like 1

Was this the 29 Jan Panama Canal Cruise? We were on that cruise.

We were not in the retreat lounge often but when we were there we didn't see anyone complaining. The couple we were cruise with did over hear a room attendant being mistreated - there were also some rumors about bad behavior of some guests but we didn't personally witness any of that.

We had an issue with an excursion where the description on the web site didn't mention the 2.5 hour bus ride. There was a note in with our tickets that I didn't read until the day before and we canceled outside of the cancellation window which was fine and definitely my fault. The Retreat Concierge were great in that they were able to organize a refund to our credit card and to use our onboard credit to cover that excursion.

We did want to discuss the web description with the manager of Excursions, not to necessarily complain but to hopefully have a better description added to reflect what to expect. We met him in the Retreat Lounge and I asked him if we could meet somewhere private as no one needed to listen to that conversation. Unfortunately you have to meet folks when they are available and at the location they suggest. An outsider witnessing this might think something evil about to happen when in reality it was something minor and we thanked him for taking the time to meet about it and he agreed that the web site needed to have a better description. Also followed up with a thank you card to him.

Separately I doubt we were ever in seas greater than 4 feet and a ship that size in small seas will move, but not much. More noticeable to those who have no sea time and not noticeable to those of us who have extensive sea time. I have to turn away anytime I hear someone talking about how they cant take any more of the motion.........as I find it funny - although sea sickness is never funny.

Cheers

2 hours ago, swjumbo said:

It’s not just on board. 
There are a few culprits on here as well.

There was even someone last year who complained that her ice cream melted too quickly!!

I kid you not!

Oh Boy— now you got me going!
I just can’t imagine how, why some of the threads are posted.

The person has to think “ Holy S—t, This is serious stuff— I gotta let everyone know that there were no round tomatoes on the buffet “ !
So— that reminded another CCer —“  *****, that reminds me— they didn’t have any shredded cheese either “!

Which reminds Me— bring a knife and cheese shredder on our next cruise.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, swjumbo said:

It’s not just on board. 
There are a few culprits on here as well.

There was even someone last year who complained that her ice cream melted too quickly!!

I kid you not!

There are a couple of posters who will give their opinion on any topic even if they have no direct experience or knowledge.  One of them was on my cruise and asked a crew member to go to another bar to get them a glass of their favorite wine.  I wanted to tell that individual and friend  to get off their  A's   and walk there themselves.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

On 2/10/2024 at 3:57 PM, mahasamatman said:

Unfotunately, it's not limited to cruises. Just look at the abuse airline gate agents and flight attendants are regularly subjected to.

I’ve seen my fair share of people that are obviously entitled and need to be put in their place, but l’ve also witnessed airline gate agents act completely out of line and humiliate people; I was one of them. A lot of airport employees, including TSA agents, are on a power trip.

• Like 2

People who behave in that manner are cowards. Cowards because they know that by and large they can get away with it. Would they just arbitrarily just start verbally abusing random strangers on the street? No, because they risk getting it right back or worse. See poor treatment of those who work with the public all the time. The "Karens" and "Let me speak to your manager" crowd need to be called out.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, cruzeluver said:

People who behave in that manner are cowards. Cowards because they know that by and large they can get away with it. Would they just arbitrarily just start verbally abusing random strangers on the street? No, because they risk getting it right back or worse. See poor treatment of those who work with the public all the time. The "Karens" and "Let me speak to your manager" crowd need to be called out.

Agreed and I’ve seen that behaviour with some young entitled yobs on a few shorter cruises.

The ones who I wouldn’t class as cowards are the older ones who really think they are above everyone, passengers and crew alike. 

On 2/15/2024 at 6:28 AM, cruzeluver said:

Yep. Ultimately, I agree with Taylor Swift (while not a Swifty myself): "Trash takes itself out." They'll get theirs one way or another. 

Edited by sofietucker

I try to be nice to everyone but I will give feedback.  I appreciate those who pull the manager aside and speak up for the staff.  We just cruised and saw some bad behavior in Blu.  We tried to treat the staff as well as possible. We were given a bottle of wine at Tuscan when our first and second choice was unavailable.  I said it wasn’t necessary.

Bad behavior is definitely not only in the Retreat.

Edited by zitsky
  • Like 1

I believe all of us have run into folks that weren't very nice.  But, I have been fortunate enough to meet a whole lot of really nice folks also.  😊

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1