Hangover prevention?

coondog99

31 minutes ago, clo said:

Made with goat please! I can only find it made with beef here in the US.

If you are ever on a cruise to Ensenada, "Birrieria La Guadalajara" has a good reputation and serves birria de chivo.Ā  It's about a 20 minute walk from the cruise port.

Ā 

image.png.9e1355a7248529814010ae5a82f79644.png

9 hours ago, mom says said:

Besides the idea of just drinkingĀ  in moderation and not getting stupid drunk in the first place, try drinking an 8 oz glass of water after any alcoholic drink. And if you do wake up with a hangover, eat a big, high fat breakfast along with a large quantity of non alcoholic fluids.

Common sense approach. Ā Of course, anyone who keeps getting hangovers obviously deserves them. After a few experiences, you should know when to switch off.

27 minutes ago, SelectSys said:

If you are ever on a cruise to Ensenada, "Birrieria La Guadalajara" has a good reputation and serves birria de chivo.Ā  It's about a 20 minute walk from the cruise port.

Ā 

image.png.9e1355a7248529814010ae5a82f79644.png

Love it! Many years ago in San Francisco we went to a little Mexican that I read had birria de chivo. The cute, little lady there kept saying it was lamb. But when we cleaned our plates I ask "cabrito?" "Si." And a huge smile. At least one gringa gained some respect that day šŸ™‚

Ā 

8 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

Common sense approach. Ā Of course, anyone who keeps getting hangovers obviously deserves them. After a few experiences, you should know when to switch off.

Not what the OP was asking.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, clo said:

Not what the OP was asking.

Learning when to stop drinking before triggering a hangover does prevent getting a hangover - pretty much precisely addressing OPā€™s post. Ā Sorry if it involves a bit of self discipline rather than some magic trick.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, navybankerteacher said:

Learning when to stop drinking before triggering a hangover does prevent getting a hangover - pretty much precisely addressing OPā€™s post. Ā Sorry if it involves a bit of self discipline rather than some magic trick.

But it doesn't involve an anonymous stranger being judgmental.

Just now, clo said:

Who is that ā€œanonymous strangerā€ to which you refer ā€” and just what is judgmental about coming up with a pretty sensible approach for avoiding hangovers?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 2/11/2024 at 6:50 PM, coondog99 said:

Despite the obvious of not drinking alcohol, does anyone have any experience or opinions about supplements to prevent or lessen the impacts of hangovers while cruising? eg Liquid IV, Bytox, etc.

My grandmother and her sister (a nun, who lived to be 104) taught me this when I was just a child:Ā  After you drink, make Jello in your stomach.Ā  Drink a cup of hot water + jello, followed by a cup of cold water.Ā  They claimed it would "gel" in your stomach and prevent all that unpleasantness.Ā Ā 

20 hours ago, ZsaZsa2019 said:

We cannot bring Gatorade on the ship, can we?

Probably depends upon your ship and what else you choose to bring.Ā 

Regardless, we drink powdered Gatorade -- little "sticks" that're easy to bring onboard /easy to mix with a cup of water.Ā  A tip:Ā  Mix your Gatorade a day ahead of time; if it "sits" before you drink it, it tastes just like the stuff you buy ready-made -- but those little sticks (purchased in bulk from Amazon) are about twenty cents each.Ā  Might be more now -- I last bought while the pandemic was in full swing.Ā  A couple hundred sticks last a while.Ā Ā 

12 hours ago, clo said:

Perhaps we should take the same approach to seasickness. Lessening its effects is a common topic in this forum when clearly the "common sense approach" would be to not cruise and those who keep getting sea sick "obviously deserve" it. After a "few experiences" they should know to stay on land.Ā 

Ā 

Anyone who cruises runs the risk of rough weather. Anyone who consumes alcohol runs the risk of having one too many.Ā Knowing how to mitigate the effects of sea sickness and a hangover is good information to know if you cruise and no one should be judgmental about either topic.Ā 

• Like 2

19 hours ago, leaveitallbehind said:

Perhaps not a bad plan but may be hard to find on board?Ā  JMO but I would prefer pozole - not a fan of tripe.

Ā 

Filipino menudo is tripe free! Ā 

14 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

Who is that ā€œanonymous strangerā€ to which you refer ā€” and just what is judgmental about coming up with a pretty sensible approach for avoiding hangovers?

Ā 

Yeah, I don't see the judgmental part of it.Ā 

Ā 

Someone wants to drink they should drink. Ā Even if they get completely snockered, it is no skin off my nose as long as I don't have to deal with them. Ā 

23 minutes ago, ldubs said:

Ā 

Filipino menudo is tripe free! Ā 

Likely even harder to find on board - LOL.

Ā 

I thought the main ingredient of menudo is tripe?Ā  I also thought pozole is the the normal non-tripe counterpart that uses chicken and pork instead.Ā  But what do I know?

Edited by leaveitallbehind
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, leaveitallbehind said:

Likely even harder to find on board - LOL.

Ā 

I thought the main ingredient of menudo is tripe?Ā  I also thought pozole is the the normal non-tripe counterpart that uses chicken and pork instead.Ā  But what do I know?

Ā 

We have it offered fairly routinely in the MDR, with a day or two advance notice. Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Just now, leaveitallbehind said:

Learn something new every day!Ā  Guess I need to spend more time in the MDR.Ā 

Ā 

It might help if you are part of a large group of Filipinos. Ā 

1 minute ago, clo said:

Is it called menudo in Puerto Rico?

Ā 

Think band names!Ā 

Ā 

BTW, I think it is called menudo everywhere (and different names too). Ā 

Ā 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, leaveitallbehind said:

As long as we've deviated completely of the OP's topic, the PR dish that is a favorite of ours is mofongo.Ā 

Thanks. After I posted above, I looked and see several different names. Whatever šŸ™‚