Silly Detail Questions from an X Newbie

Hydro ergo

Hi All,

Hoping to gather some insight from all of you since I just got off the phone with Celebrity and they didn't really seem like they could answer my questions...so...here we are!  In all fairness, I guess these are minor details, since I couldn't find them on the boards here either. 

I've sailed on several cruises in the past, but this will be my first go with Celebrity in a couple of weeks.  Looking forward to trying something new and hoping that since I didn't sail with them before all the cutbacks everyone talks about, I won't be none the wiser. 😉 

There are a couple things I usually request before my cruises but was met with general confusion and "we don't do that" from the gentleman I just spoke with.  Here's what I asked:

1. Can we request extra hangers for our cabin closet?  

Since I noticed the closets don't really have much in the way of drawer space, I expect to hang most of our stuff.  I've asked this before on Princess, NCL, and Virgin and have always been met with a load of hangers in the closet on arrival.  Today I was met with a confused "I can't help you with that" on the phone.  Have any of you asked your cabin steward for this and had any luck?  I have some cheapie hangers I can bring, but it's nice not to have to pack extra.

2. Can we have the refrigerator/mini bar emptied?

We usually bring a couple bottles of our own wine and some ginger for my partner's potential seasickness.  We never use anything in the mini bar and again, have never had issues asking for it to be emptied before arrival.  Same thing on this one.  He kept asking if it was medically necessary and when I said no, I was again met with "we don't do this."  So...can I just ask the cabin steward on arrival?  I hate to task them with extra stuff, but I would like to be able to use the min-fridge. 

I didn't ask this question, but as far as bringing on your own wine, do you need to "declare" it, or just run it through in your carry-on bags and no issue?  I've had it both ways, and different at different ports, so wasn't sure if there was anything special to do.  We're sailing out of Port Everglades, if that makes a difference.

And one final question for you experienced sailors...I see a lot of people saying that when they embark, they drop their carry-ons in the cabin even if it isn't ready yet.  Is that a thing?  I guess I've always assumed if the room isn't ready, then stay out of your steward's way and let them prepare the cabin. Normally I just carry around my backpack and it doesn't bother me any.  However, we have a concierge room (figured we'd take the extra points since the price was the same) and a quiet lunch in the dining room sounds like a nice alternative to the busy buffet on embarkation day. But I'm not sure about bringing a backpack in there?

Thanks Everyone!!

• Like 1

1)Yes , you can ask for extra hangers , we have never had to ask 

2) Yes, you can ask for the frig to be empty of Celebrity items 

3) just bring your wine on 

4) yes, drop off your carry on and pick up your room card

Edited by Ex-Airbalancer
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, Ex-Airbalancer said:

1)Yes , you can ask for extra hangers , we have never had to ask 

2) Yes, you can ask for the frig to be empty of Celebrity items 

3) just bring your wine on 

4) yes, drop off your carry on and pick up your room card

To add to this, room cards will be outside the room in an envelope…you can put any valuables in the safe at this time if you choose..

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Hydro ergo said:

Hi All

as far as bringing on your own wine, do you need to "declare" it, or just run it through in your carry-on bags and no issue?  

And one final question for you experienced sailors...I see a lot of people saying that when they embark, they drop their carry-ons in the cabin even if it isn't ready yet.  Is that a thing?  

Thanks Everyone!!

Yes. We always request extra hangers. 

Yes. Your stateroom attendant will take care of that.

You do not have to declarer your personal wine you bring onboard. Two 750 ml bottles per person. 

Yes. Dropping off your carryons is a thing. Grab your Seapass cards before leaving. 

Edited by doghog
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

And to also expand slightly, when you pick up your Seapass cards from the mail slot outside your stateroom door there will be a magnetic sign on the door if the stateroom attendant hasn't finished preparing the room.  I don't remember the exact wording but it is something like "perfection in progress."

Just to clarify the answers given, none of the requests can be done PRIOR to boarding (unless you're in a higher level suite) so when you board and finally meet your cabin attendant is when you'll request for extra hangers and emptying of the refrigerator

Edited by kwokpot
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Thanks everyone, really appreciate it!

Happy to hear that the hangers and fridge can be resolved once on board.  I always hate making extra requests and truthfully, try to keep the steward out of my room as much as possible (typically requesting ONLY towels, empty trash, refill TP on every other day), but will see about getting these done once on board. 

Interesting about dropping bags as well---very handy!

thank you!

Just now, CruisersTimesThree said:

It’s actually 1 bottle per person, not two. 

I've seen this debated so many times!  Is it two per person or two per cabin and depending on the day and where you look...different parts of the X website even say different things.  Regardless, we'll play it safe and stick to one per person.  Thank you for the clarification 🙂 

2 minutes ago, Hydro ergo said:

I've seen this debated so many times!  Is it two per person or two per cabin and depending on the day and where you look...different parts of the X website even say different things.  Regardless, we'll play it safe and stick to one per person.  Thank you for the clarification 🙂 

Just put one in each bag 😁

3 minutes ago, CruisersTimesThree said:

It’s actually 1 bottle per person, not two. 

Not sure why I said that. Maybe wishful thinking on my part. When we use to carry wine onboard it was one 750 ml bottle per person. Thanks for pointing that out. Cheers. 🍷

• Like 1

I accidentally boarded the Ascent recently with 6 mini bottles of Tito’s in my carry on bag, not a word was said at the scanner…I had then from the hotel the night before…I had no use for them on board, I had the premium package, but they didn’t know that at the scanner..

Edited by PTC DAWG

7 minutes ago, Hydro ergo said:

It’s one bottle per person of drinking age in your cabin. Link to Celebrity’s FAQ’s about alcohol

https://www.celebritycruises.com/int/faqs/faq-fragments/enjoying-your-cruise-fragments/beverage-packages

Best to put the wine in your carry on.  Putting it in your checked bag, aside from not risking breaking)

will avoid the possibility of you checked luggage going to the naughty room to be searched.

Edited by jelayne
typo

48 minutes ago, Hydro ergo said:

It used to be 2 per person and then recently they changed it to 1 per person.

We always travel with 2 adults per cabin so not sure if there are any variants to the rules if it isn’t 2 adults.

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, jelayne said:

Best to put the wine in your carry on.  Putting it in your checked bag, aside from not risking breaking)

will avoid the possibility of you checked luggage going to the naughty room to be searched.

The people are nice there , good time there 😁

• Haha 1

We  have mostly been on E Class.. AQ Class  IV or SV cabin. There are soooo many hangers in the closet..Never needed extra but have taken some out to avoid clacking  spound. Lots of cubbys with shelves and drawers..We do not travel light!

Had a suite on BEYOND.  Huge Closet space.

We have a double neoprene wine btl carrier..slip on top of carryon and then hand it through as you  are screened.

Most attendants have fridge emptied ahead of time... no worries!

• Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, LB_NJ said:

It used to be 2 per person and then recently they changed it to 1 per person.

We always travel with 2 adults per cabin so not sure if there are any variants to the rules if it isn’t 2 adults.

the recent change must be why people were posting on here with certain parts of the website saying one thing vs. cruise docs saying something else etc etc.  Two bottles between the two of us is plenty. 

And it's always in a carryon.  The thought of a bottle of wine possibly breaking in my suitcase is terrifying 🤣

• Haha 1

On 2/16/2024 at 10:49 AM, Hydro ergo said:

Hi All,

Hoping to gather some insight from all of you since I just got off the phone with Celebrity and they didn't really seem like they could answer my questions...so...here we are!  In all fairness, I guess these are minor details, since I couldn't find them on the boards here either. 

I've sailed on several cruises in the past, but this will be my first go with Celebrity in a couple of weeks.  Looking forward to trying something new and hoping that since I didn't sail with them before all the cutbacks everyone talks about, I won't be none the wiser. 😉 

There are a couple things I usually request before my cruises but was met with general confusion and "we don't do that" from the gentleman I just spoke with.  Here's what I asked:

Since I noticed the closets don't really have much in the way of drawer space, I expect to hang most of our stuff.  I've asked this before on Princess, NCL, and Virgin and have always been met with a load of hangers in the closet on arrival.  Today I was met with a confused "I can't help you with that" on the phone.  Have any of you asked your cabin steward for this and had any luck?  I have some cheapie hangers I can bring, but it's nice not to have to pack extra.

We usually bring a couple bottles of our own wine and some ginger for my partner's potential seasickness.  We never use anything in the mini bar and again, have never had issues asking for it to be emptied before arrival.  Same thing on this one.  He kept asking if it was medically necessary and when I said no, I was again met with "we don't do this."  So...can I just ask the cabin steward on arrival?  I hate to task them with extra stuff, but I would like to be able to use the min-fridge. 

I didn't ask this question, but as far as bringing on your own wine, do you need to "declare" it, or just run it through in your carry-on bags and no issue?  I've had it both ways, and different at different ports, so wasn't sure if there was anything special to do.  We're sailing out of Port Everglades, if that makes a difference.

And one final question for you experienced sailors...I see a lot of people saying that when they embark, they drop their carry-ons in the cabin even if it isn't ready yet.  Is that a thing?  I guess I've always assumed if the room isn't ready, then stay out of your steward's way and let them prepare the cabin. Normally I just carry around my backpack and it doesn't bother me any.  However, we have a concierge room (figured we'd take the extra points since the price was the same) and a quiet lunch in the dining room sounds like a nice alternative to the busy buffet on embarkation day. But I'm not sure about bringing a backpack in there?

Thanks Everyone!!

It sounds like you spoke to the wrong person.

All of these ask your cabin steward and they can/should/will make it happen.

As far as your carry on yes, go to the cabin and if you see a sign that says cabin not ready, place everything either under the bed or in the closet without unpacking and tour the ship.  This way it is out of the way of them finalizing your stateroom.

• Thanks 1