TV/Neighbor noise an issue for Vista Penthouse and/or Concierge Staterooms?

janelledocb

We are considering booking a concierge veranda or penthouse suite on the Oceania Vista.  With a port-intensive cruise, we normally wouldn't consider splurging on a penthouse but I have read that thin walls are/can be a big problem on the Vista and we are trying to avoid this as hubby is a light sleeper.  However, it seems pretty random as far as which decks/rooms have this issue although I don't think I have read as many complaints from those who have stayed in Penthouse Suites.  Can those who have stayed in a Concierge Veranda and/or Penthouse on the Vista comment on thin walls/noise from neighbors (or lack thereof if you had a quiet room!).  Thank you!

We have done both A level (9th floor port side by front staircase) and PH2 10th floor starboard) on Vista and only heard neighbors TV, cell calls, disagreements in the A level room on 9.    The PH rooms are wider so the TV is further away from couch and bed area.    

• Like 1

Take some ear plugs and enjoy 🤪👍 We had a PH on Vista twice and the Deck 10 room was fine, 11073 was good but the neighbor to our headboard was a little hard of hearing so the TV got a bit loud once or twice but no big deal. Look at what rooms or staff access doors open to your room entry door so just check your surroundings out when selecting your room. Loved the PH if that fits your 💰
Enjoy your cruise.

Mauibabes

• Like 1

Avoid concierge cabin 8121.  It is directly opposite the crew pantry and very noisy as it is in continuous use.  We used earplugs, but could still hear our neighbour's television.

• Like 1

Did any of you complain to GS or was it not problematic enough to do so? 
Just off Ascent( X)  and couldn’t hear our neighbours at all. I’ve never had to use earplugs on a cruise so this would be  a first for me lol! 

• Like 1

I've also read the several mentions on the forum of this issue. It seems to be random and may well be dependent on how noisy your neighbours are, although I have read comments about folk being able to hear the noise of normal conservations, even if actual words couldnt be made out. It could be an issue for our forthcoming Vista cruise. I always pack  earplugs when travelling and was grateful for them last summer, when we'd rented an apartment and I could hear the snorer next door. My partner has bought a "snooze band" - basically a set of thin headphones which will enable her to play "white noise" through her phone. 

We had been intending to book a 2025 cruise on Vista but have decided to hold off until after the booked one in a few weeks. 

• Like 1

Thank you all for your advice and recommendations.  We had our cruise on the Riviera canceled yesterday due to it now going around Africa (understandably) and so we are now having to scramble to find a replacement and can't be too choosy- and DH has a work trip prior so we can't even change dates too much.  At least we won't be spending long lengths of time in our room given the itinerary, but we do want to be comfortable there and to sleep well    And usually we would save stretching our budget on a better room for when we could spend more time on the ship, not just for sleeping better 🙂  We had decided to just avoid the Vista in general to be safe, but it appears to be the best bet at this time even when we consider other cruise lines.  DH has the headband but has not used it yet, so I will have him practice to see if it is comfortable for him.  He does have the portable white noise machine too which he always takes.  Appreciate everyone's input!

• Like 2

It really does come down to your neighbors. We were in a B1 and never had an issue with noise. This was even with one of our neighbors being quarantined pretty much the entire cruise.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, EJL2023 said:

This was even with one of our neighbors being quarantined pretty much the entire cruise.

What a waste of a cruise for them.  😢

Thank you for the reminder to wash yer hands, many a time and oft.

• Like 1

We had a PH1 on 7 aft on the Vista. No adjoining cabin noise was noticed but the ship itself can be noisy - lots of creaking and everything shakes when it is docking on those early AM arrivals.

Edited by loge23
Addition
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, dock said:

Did any of you complain to GS or was it not problematic enough to do so? 
Just off Ascent( X)  and couldn’t hear our neighbours at all. I’ve never had to use earplugs on a cruise so this would be  a first for me lol! 

Funny you mention that. I did Vista to Celebrity Ascent, one right after the other over the past 3 weeks. The difference in sound proofing between cabins was very very very noticeable. On Vista in a concierge cabin, we heard nearly everything that went on in neighbor's cabin. We had a polite conversation with our neighbors. They liked to have the TV on nearly all the time they were in the room and even when their TV volume was as low as 7%, we could hear the noise in our cabin. They were quite cooperative about keeping the volume low, but bottom line was that if their TV was on, I had trouble sleeping. One night he turned his TV off at 11:20 p.m., I went right to sleep and was awakened at 7:15 a.m. Not pleasant having your neighbor determining when you can and cannot sleep.

What a different situation on Celebrity Ascent! We were in a Sky Suite cabin which is a little bigger than our cabin on Vista, but not by a lot. It was delightful to hear zero noise from adjacent cabin. At first because Celebrity plays music in the hallways, I was concerned about a noise problem, but the minute we closed our cabin door we could hear zero noise either from neighboring cabins or from the hallway. 

As a result of my experience, I will not book Vista again in a regular cabin...may consider a PH, because there are so many things to like about the ship.

• Like 4

Just off Vista concierge 10029. We did hear neighbors when they got really loud one night having a card game or something. Also heard the crew early morning in the hall; but nothing that any other cruise has had. Felt about the same as other O ships. I could see the tv being an issue for some it is mounted on the wall and if the bed were against it but we didnt hear tv from either side. I would not hesitate to book again, best shop layout of them all. 

• Like 1

https://www.amazon.com/KARE-TurboScoops-Alternative-Redirects-Directly/dp/B09HCPPZ3P/ref=sr_1_4_pp?crid=2VN9H9PD72ZNL&dib=eyJ2IjoiMSJ9._tF2f8xS71a5-78hP54Tw-8NgiHJ9T3eICtrSdwP2v2cS8D8xpT06z7InnKbqVxYbcgUMSob7uVIt4w1vP6

Buy these and let your noisy next door neighbor borrow them.  Just use "blue painters tape" to attach. Oceania doesn't like semi permanent tape markings. They divert the sound "forward" from the downward facing speakers at the bottom of th TV.

• Like 1

Purely luck of the draw. Purely.

On our Vista cruise our neighbors were like us, rarely turned the tv on. Peacefully silent. Other cruises we had to call the front desk near every night. TV blared 24/7. Large commotion one night with security. They had received multiple complaints and were pounding on the cabin door while the obviously near deaf inhabitants slept away.

The smart TVs should have a connection to the central control area where volumes can be adjusted from central control. Most assisted living facilities already have this.  They don’t pound on quarters doors, they drop the volume from the front desk.

Good Luck. You don’t get to pick your neighbors!

• Like 4

Well, we went ahead took the plunge and booked a PH1 on deck 11 (the only one left!) in the hopes that there will be less chance of hearing our neighbor's TVs or conversations.  We also got lucky with a great price, probably since it is rather last minute.  I will report back after our trip as it seems odd that it is so random and that people can have their tv sounds down low and still be heard!  If I can pack them, I will get the sound diverters so at least WE can watch tv without having worrying about bothering our neighbors!  Will bring every kind of noise cancelling device I can lug across to Europe as well 🙂

Thank you all once more.  We wouldn't have known what to do without your advice! 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, pinotlover said:

Purely luck of the draw. Purely.

On our Vista cruise our neighbors were like us, rarely turned the tv on. Peacefully silent. Other cruises we had to call the front desk near every night. TV blared 24/7. Large commotion one night with security. They had received multiple complaints and were pounding on the cabin door while the obviously near deaf inhabitants slept away.

The smart TVs should have a connection to the central control area where volumes can be adjusted from central control. Most assisted living facilities already have this.  They don’t pound on quarters doors, they drop the volume from the front desk.

Good Luck. You don’t get to pick your neighbors!

Yes, this is what really worries me.  The randomness.  I'm sure the crew is tired of this situation as well.  I will email Oceania to recommend they invest in those sound diverters.
Makes me want to book two staterooms so I can sleep in the one that has quiet neighbors! If only, LOL!  

We are planning our cruise schedule for next winter. We usually escape the cold and cruise the Caribbean for a couple of cruises. After our recent noise from adjacent cabin problem on Vista combined with no desire to use SM restricted funds for ports we have been to so many times,,we have decided that we will not cruise on Vista next winter. Will probably go with Celebrity in the retreat if we stay in the Caribbean. Marina in SA remains a possibility.

• Like 1

The noise problem is not just on the Vista. We were on the brand new Regent Grandeur in December and had the same issue. The ships were apparently built the same way. Talked to others on the ship and they said the older ones didn’t have the problem. We were lucky because although we could hear conversations on both sides it wasn’t too loud. One couple we met said their neighbors on the previous cruise had a huge fight and they could hear every word. 

• Like 1

We were in PH 7107 (narrow deck) on Vista in January.  We did not hear anyone in the adjoining rooms, nor did we really hear anyone at night in the hallways.  My sister-in-law had a  white-noise app on her cell phone that she turned on at night, but if were were loud conversations next door I doubt it would cover it up.

• Like 1

On 2/22/2024 at 8:06 PM, janelledocb said:

Well, we went ahead took the plunge and booked a PH1 on deck 11 (the only one left!) in the hopes that there will be less chance of hearing our neighbor's TVs or conversations.  We also got lucky with a great price, probably since it is rather last minute.  I will report back after our trip as it seems odd that it is so random and that people can have their tv sounds down low and still be heard!  If I can pack them, I will get the sound diverters so at least WE can watch tv without having worrying about bothering our neighbors!  Will bring every kind of noise cancelling device I can lug across to Europe as well 🙂

Thank you all once more.  We wouldn't have known what to do without your advice! 

I’m just off Vista deck 11 suite 11073. Neighbour noise was low but noise from above was bad and continued into the early hours. 

• Thanks 1