Chair Hogs

twoshay

Wow!  A very sensitive topic.  You chair hogs know who you are!  Expect people to call you out.

The worst case are the double chair hogs!  They have "reserved" using their personal stuff, two sets of chairs, one set in the sun, and another in the shade, that way they have either as they need it.  Found this type of hog on a recent trip.

Also bad are the "dead" hogs.  These folks don't remove the ship's blue towels from the chairs when they leave the pool area and just assume the crew will pick them up and put them in the hampers.  Problem is that no one knows they are gone!

Since people only seem to care about themselves...Perhaps a parking meter type system could be used. You set the timer when you leave to use the toilet or to get a slice of pizza from NY Pizza etc.  After hmmmmm..... 15 min your timer runs out and the crew takes secure control of your towels that might be monogrammed with "Geoff" or "Cindy"  - I can call them by name later (See my last paragraph) 

Many will disagree, but if you want to have a full meal in the Lido, MDR, etc., or attend a scheduled event like Bingo or Trivia, you should vacate your seat. PERIOD.   If everyone did this, there would be plenty of seats.  The only seats you are "entitled" to are those on your balcony and in your cabin's bathroom.  Unfortunately, in some marriages, there are chair hogs in the bathroom as well.

I watched a couple set up their stuff next to me, and not return for over two hours.  I asked them how the medical center was on the ship.  They said, they hadn't been to the medical center.  They said "We aren't sick" - I replied, that I figured you had some emergency since you left your stuff for two hours and were holding chairs when others would like to use them.  (Note:  They had a "spa treatment" and then had lunch.) They told me it wasn't my concern and they didn't care.  Yes, it is wrong but I did tell them they should buy a private yacht, because this dam ship wasn't theirs....  and that they were inconsiderate "a-holes."  They left the pool area.  🙂

• Like 19
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 3

8 hours ago, Hlitner said:

The "knitting group" found another nearby table, but were not happy!

And people thought I was joking in another topic on teh danger son having teh Knitting Group on a cruise.  They have long needles.....and don't mess round!

• Haha 3

I leave the stuff, take the chair and move it to another spot.  Problem solved.  

On 2/24/2024 at 1:21 PM, 3rdGenCunarder said:

Anyone who is rude enough to be a chair hog is likely to be very nasty if their stuff is moved. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Horrible on the Oosterdam right now. On the way from the gym to the Lido at 7:30 AM and 70-80% of what they consider to be prime loungers with towels, old clothes and books resting on them. 

And knowing that the owners are likely back nestled in their beds since both the gym and the Lido are largely empty. 

59 minutes ago, ECCruise said:

Horrible on the Oosterdam right now. On the way from the gym to the Lido at 7:30 AM and 70-80% of what they consider to be prime loungers with towels, old clothes and books resting on them. 

And knowing that the owners are likely back nestled in their beds since both the gym and the Lido are largely empty. 

Wow, that's worse than I've ever seen it so early! I would be tempted to just walk along the line, scooping up everything and dumping it on the last "claimed" loungers. Let the pigs sort out their stuff.

• Like 11
  • Haha 5

Assuming they won't blow away in wind....Could leave cards on the chairs that say "LAST OCCUPIED at 7:30 AM.  FEEL FREE TO MOVE PERSONAL ITEMS AND USE CHAIR AFTER 8 AM, PER SHIP'S POSTED POLICY PLACARDS." 

• Like 3

I still think major offenders are the 'I'll go down to the pool at 7:30 and save us some chairs crowd' and don't understand why some observant attendants could not patrol this area specifically for a few hours and prevent this.

It should be obvious when one person goes down with some books and towels, throws them down on four chairs, and leaves, that this is a problem that can be addressed. 

The early bird 'reservists' are also in the Retreat.

For us who cruise primarily to hang out at pool this is a major frustration.

Posted (edited)
On 3/1/2024 at 10:32 AM, Hlitner said:

…Folks are not "entitled" to use a chair/lounger just because they think it is their right!  DW and I still remember a time, on Princess or HAL, when we were enjoying breakfast (with another couple) in the Lido.  A lady came over to our table and said, "I am sorry, but you need to move so our knitting group can sit at this table."  DW politely replied that they were welcome to the table after we had finished our breakfast.  The lady was not satisfied and pointed out that her little knitting group always used "their table" in the morning.  And no, we did not relinquish the table until we were finished with breakfast.  The "knitting group" found another nearby table, but were not happy!

Reminds me of a time we were in the Explorations Cafe late at night and there was a table with a game board embossed on its top. I believe it was chess, and I hadn’t played chess in ages. We were enjoying the game, but I have never been an avid player so it was taking me longer to make moves than someone who was a regular player. But I was having fun nonetheless! A couple of people younger than me (which was rather unusual at the time aboard HAL😃) came over to tell me they needed to sit where we were because they played the game every night at a certain time and we were interfering with their schedule. I can still see their antsy looks and body language.

I have no issues with calling attention to a legitimate chair hog, but to attempt to bounce someone else from a seat just because they want it is not cool in my book!

Edited by syesmar
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1

So we will be aboard the Rotterdam in November for a 9 day. I’ve never been aboard the new Rotterdam but it looks like there are two decks of deck chairs around two pools. So can I expect all or most of these loungers to be “occupied” on sea days? I like my balcony but sometimes enjoy lounging around the pool some or just having a change of scenery. I am kinda used to a suite sun deck offered by other cruise lines. Is a retreat cabana something I should look into to make sure we have two loungers on deck?

Thanks!

7 minutes ago, chill6x6 said:

So we will be aboard the Rotterdam in November for a 9 day. I’ve never been aboard the new Rotterdam but it looks like there are two decks of deck chairs around two pools. So can I expect all or most of these loungers to be “occupied” on sea days? I like my balcony but sometimes enjoy lounging around the pool some or just having a change of scenery. I am kinda used to a suite sun deck offered by other cruise lines. Is a retreat cabana something I should look into to make sure we have two loungers on deck?

Thanks!

That's the million dollar question. My wife and I like to hang about the pool in warm weather cruises and expect a packed house on sea days with better availability on port days depending on port. It depends on weather what time you come down to the pool, and luck. Generally if you

are OK being on second level or away from pool you will find something. 

We have booked X Retreat, Princess Sanctuary, HAL Cabana, NCL something or other and will try Princess' new dedicated area next year primarily to have a relaxing place to sit. The thing we don't like in some cabana areas is the distance from the pool.  This appears to be the deal on Nieuw Statedam so for the first time in years will join the crowd looking for a pool spot.

Hoping HAL does work to address chair hogs. 

• Like 1

I’m leaving on a HAL sailing this weekend and am concerned that we will have a lounge to relax also.  We will have a balcony also but don’t want to be prisoners in our cabin either.

we are vets of 30-something cruises mostly on Celebrity.  Our last 2 sailings on RCCL and Celebrity Beyond were so crowded we wandered around looking for chairs mostly unsuccessful.  

If the cruise lines cannot get their act together and enforce their own policies and rules, the lack of relaxing public sense will send me to another way to spend my vacation $.  

Selling me a chair or onboard cabana after I have paid the cruisefare is not right.  Neither is downgrading the included dining so that passengers are forced to pay for the ever-expanding specialty dining options.

We have this HAL sailing soon and then Oceania in the fall. Hope springs eternal.

Happy sailing.

24 minutes ago, chisoxfan said:

That's the million dollar question. My wife and I like to hang about the pool in warm weather cruises and expect a packed house on sea days with better availability on port days depending on port. It depends on weather what time you come down to the pool, and luck. Generally if you

are OK being on second level or away from pool you will find something. 

We have booked X Retreat, Princess Sanctuary, HAL Cabana, NCL something or other and will try Princess' new dedicated area next year primarily to have a relaxing place to sit. The thing we don't like in some cabana areas is the distance from the pool.  This appears to be the deal on Nieuw Statedam so for the first time in years will join the crowd looking for a pool spot.

Hoping HAL does work to address chair hogs. 

• Like 1

On 3/3/2024 at 7:50 AM, syesmar said:

Reminds me of a time we were in the Explorations Cafe late at night and there was a table with a game board embossed on its top. I believe it was chess, and I hadn’t played chess in ages. We were enjoying the game, but I have never been an avid player so it was taking me longer to make moves than someone who was a regular player. But I was having fun nonetheless! A couple of people younger than me (which was rather unusual at the time aboard HAL😃) came over to tell me they needed to sit where we were because they played the game every night at a certain time and we were interfering with their schedule. I can still see their antsy looks and body language.

I have no issues with calling attention to a legitimate chair hog, but to attempt to bounce someone else from a seat just because they want it is not cool in my book!

I saw a similar thing in Ocean bar on Zaandam last month. Two young women were sitting at a table next to mine. We all had a nice view of the band but, of course, they could be heard all through the bar. A couple came in--I'd seen him before at guest services and he was being a jerk about something. I forget what, but very entitled. This couple sat for at least five minutes, then they walked over to the table next to mine and asked the two women if they would switch because they like this table. "You can hear the music just fine over there," he said, pointing to the table they had left. Like he had some kind of right to their table. And the women moved!!!! I'd have told him, "If you can hear the music just fine over there, I hope you enjoy it." 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Give it an hour. If they are still not back put their belongings into the towel. Clip it up with the pegs or clingfilm they have used to secure the towel to the lounger with and then deposit it in the pool. 

I’d wager they won’t do it again.  

Edited by TheJester
  • Haha 4

2 hours ago, chill6x6 said:

Thanks!

On the sister ship Konigsdam, there was a very large aft deck with loungers fully exposed to the sun, above the aft deck pool area.

We rarely saw anyone using this deck and it was a very busy cruise over the holidays.  The second deck amount the main Lido Pool area had plenty of loungers too  which were not heavily used.

On that cruise we did have  a retreat cabana reservation. But hen we saw those loungers all facing out to the sea on that upper level around the pool, we wondered why we bothered to rent a retreat cabin.

• Like 1

This topic tends to raise the blood pressure. I used to see HAL's library books used for this purpose....just to hog the chairs.  I'm at the point where I am inclined to do a broad sweep ot the arm over belongings that sit for a period of time on an unused chair.  It's rude to claim these chairs as your own personal property.  I just sailed on NCL, and they have an area that they call the Waterfront which has plenty of couches and chairs.  I'd see people napping across the whole couch, insuring that no one sat on the chairs in that semi-circle.  One person hogging an area meant to seat six.  Wrong, wrong, wrong. 

2 hours ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

I saw a similar thing in Ocean bar on Zaandam last month. Two young women were sitting at a table next to mine. We all had a nice view of the band but, of course, they could be heard all through the bar. A couple came in--I'd seen him before at guest services and he was being a jerk about something. I forget what, but very entitled. This couple sat for at least five minutes, then they walked over to the table next to mine and asked the two women if they would switch because they like this table. "You can hear the music just fine over there," he said, pointing to the table they had left. Like he had some kind of right to their table. And the women moved!!!! I'd have told him, "If you can hear the music just fine over there, I hope you enjoy it." 

You just reminded me of the time we were on Oosterdam!  October 2022.  We were in the World Stage and had found great seats.  An older couple came in just before the performance and asked if they could have our seats!!  I looked about and saw plenty of other seats they could choose, then turned to them and said “No.”  They were in shock and I don’t know why!  😂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

MSC have started making announcements over tannoy from captain saying don’t reserve seats etc or your belongings will be removed and then enforcing it with staff going around removing unclaimed items, that was last year so unsure if they’re still adopting this policy 

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, albingirl said:

This topic tends to raise the blood pressure. I used to see HAL's library books used for this purpose....just to hog the chairs.  I'm at the point where I am inclined to do a broad sweep ot the arm over belongings that sit for a period of time on an unused chair.  It's rude to claim these chairs as your own personal property.  I just sailed on NCL, and they have an area that they call the Waterfront which has plenty of couches and chairs.  I'd see people napping across the whole couch, insuring that no one sat on the chairs in that semi-circle.  One person hogging an area meant to seat six.  Wrong, wrong, wrong. 

On celebrity also 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, chill6x6 said:

Thanks!

What we have seen on HAL (and some other lines) is that loungers/chairs in the shade are in great demand.  If one does not mind being out in the sun, there always seems to be empty chairs (especially away from the pools and/or on a higher deck).  

Hank

• Like 1

1 minute ago, cruiser man 60 said:

MSC have started making announcements over tannoy from captain saying don’t reserve seats etc or your belongings will be removed and then enforcing it with staff going around removing unclaimed items, that was last year so unsure if they’re still adopting this policy 

HAL is blessedly free of annoying tannoy announcement through out  the day - one more feature that makes HAL the quieter choice.

Wish they would do an "pre-flight" video setting out the most common passenger abuses up front and remind people we are all in this together, on this floating enclosed system box for the next few days. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Hlitner said:

What we have seen on HAL (and some other lines) is that loungers/chairs in the shade are in great demand.  If one does not mind being out in the sun, there always seems to be empty chairs (especially away from the pools and/or on a higher deck).  

Hank

That's interesting, as our experience has been quite the opposite. Our preference always is to be in the shade, and we seldom have difficulty finding a couple of loungers. Meanwhile, seating in the sun, particularly around the pools, is fully taken. 

• Like 1

On 3/8/2024 at 9:20 AM, 3rdGenCunarder said:

I saw a similar thing in Ocean bar on Zaandam last month…. 

…Like he had some kind of right to their table. And the women moved!!!! I'd have told him, "If you can hear the music just fine over there, I hope you enjoy it." 

Oh, my! I definitely would not have budged either! I remember how offended the people trying to get our seats/game board were. It’s like they had a stakeout nearby and were trying to stare us down and make us uncomfortable so we’d move. One of the oddest moments aboard, but hey, it gave me a story and an unforgettable memory!😉

Was surprised to see this on the Nav App this morning on the NS.  It was not there last week.  Wonder if it will be enforced?IMG_0187.thumb.png.5b07df948d3f57c4f1fef41d3e736c78.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, 0106 said:

Was surprised to see this on the Nav App this morning on the NS.  It was not there last week.  Wonder if it will be enforced?IMG_0187.thumb.png.5b07df948d3f57c4f1fef41d3e736c78.png

I have seen similar notices on both HAL and Celebrity, but the problem is it is hardly ever enforced as the crew do not want to get into confrontations with passengers.