Specialty Dining Program Update

Sometimes Smokey's sarcasm cup overflows.....

To answer your question:  I think the only way to find out is to fake-book a specialty restaurant after you've purchased the Unlimited Dining Package, and see what your payment options are.  I just did this for one of my cruises, and it's still asking for immediate payment.  So, they haven't updated the Cruise Planner with the ability to book and use the UDiningP to "pay" for the reservation.

• Haha 1

I will be on the Icon next Saturday, March 9th. We have purchased UDP, however, I'm getting a bit nervous since a lot of the good time slots are no longer available. For example, for most nights, Habachi is showing limited availability (i.e., 5:00 PM or 9:30 PM... too early or too late).

Do they typically hold back time slots for UDP guests? I also thought about just buying the time slots right now, and hopefully have them refunded, however, I heard they are cracking down on this approach... What do you guys think? Should I be concerned about not getting normal time slots (for me, that means anywhere between 6:00 PM - 8:00 PM)?

Thanks!

Edited by mramella

54 minutes ago, mramella said:

Should I be concerned about not getting normal time slots (for me, that means anywhere between 6:00 PM - 8:00 PM)?

Yes. On a very busy ship with lots of UDPs sold, some have reported cancelling UDP on board due to very limited slots to use it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

Yes. On a very busy ship with lots of UDPs sold, some have reported cancelling UDP on board due to very limited slots to use it.

That would be a bummer if we had to cancel... We bought the UDP nearly 1 year ago when prices were reasonable. Our boarding time is 11:30 AM (the earliest available time slot), so I'm hoping we can book everything right away... Not my idea of starting off a vacation stress free, that's for sure...

1 hour ago, mramella said:

I will be on the Icon next Saturday, March 9th. We have purchased UDP, however, I'm getting a bit nervous since a lot of the good time slots are no longer available. For example, for most nights, Habachi is showing limited availability (i.e., 5:00 PM or 9:30 PM... too early or too late).

Do they typically hold back time slots for UDP guests? I also thought about just buying the time slots right now, and hopefully have them refunded, however, I heard they are cracking down on this approach... What do you guys think? Should I be concerned about not getting normal time slots (for me, that means anywhere between 6:00 PM - 8:00 PM)?

Thanks!

From my experience they do not hold time slots for UDP. When we were on Wonder last year we cancelled the UDP because several restaurants only had late reservations available. We were staying in a suite and were literally the first group on the ship at 10:30 AM and went straight to Chops to make reservations, but that didn’t help. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

From my experience they do not hold time slots for UDP. When we were on Wonder last year we cancelled the UDP because several restaurants only had late reservations available. We were staying in a suite and were literally the first group on the ship at 10:30 AM and went straight to Chops to make reservations, but that didn’t help. 

A junior suite I presume? Otherwise your concierge/genie could have made reservations for you in advance.

4 minutes ago, mramella said:

Does anyone know if they're cracking down on booking now and paying, and then getting a refund once you're onboard?

I have not tried it, but it sounded like the person in front on me in line on day one on a recent cruise had.  She and the restaurant manager talked for the longest long time, including how she reserved times then decided to buy a dining package.   She also said that she’d done the same thing on previous cruises (self-described “repeat offender”).  After a long time, the issue had not been resolved to her satisfaction and she finally left, saying she’d check with him again later.  That’s not the way I’d want to spend day 1 (and maybe day 2).

Hibachi is usually quite popular.  If that is vital to your happiness, send someone straight to Hibachi to make that reservation and/waitlist and be as open minded as you can about timing.  

2 hours ago, mramella said:

Thanks!

Can't answer for sure but.......Had the package in Wonder in late January and could not get hibachi reservations except for 5 PM  or 9PM.  Had assistance from the concierge and still was not able to get Hibachi that week.  Sushi restaurant was sold out for lunch and dinner the entire week.     We were able  to  get 6:30-7:30 range at most other places.  It was OK because we got the package at a great deal so didn't feel too bad that we didn't get to Hibachi or Sushi.  

I've heard they  do hold back but that is to accommodate someone who boards and wants a specialty restaurant  dinner a night or two.

Not sure I will book it again without some type of guaranteed reservations. 

Good luck.  I hope it works out for you and you enjoy the cruise.

M

10 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

I tried that last Christmas on the Odyssey and it was not allowed

Trying to keep up with the postings.

Did you purchase an Unlimited Dining Plan, pay for it, possibly found that the unlimited plan had severe reservation limitations and they refused to allow you a refund once you got onboard?

26 minutes ago, Engineroom Snipe said:

Did you purchase an Unlimited Dining Plan, pay for it, possibly found that the unlimited plan had severe reservation limitations and they refused to allow you a refund once you got onboard?

We purchased the UDP for a recent cruise then cancelled it on day 1.   We received refundable OBC.  In our case, the cancellation was precipitated by an unanticipated dietary restriction rather than reservation limitations, but I think we’d they’d have refunded for either reason if we held firm.  They did try to talk us into keeping a specialty dining package.

Edited by Starry Eyes

15 minutes ago, Starry Eyes said:

We purchased the UDP for a recent cruise then cancelled it on day 1.   We received refundable OBC.  In our case, the cancellation was precipitated by an unanticipated dietary restriction rather than reservation limitations, but I think we’d they’d have refunded for either reason if we held firm.  They did try to talk us into keeping a specialty dining package.

That is understandable and I am starting to get the flow. Lots of moving parts as always on any cruise.

Type of cruisers onboard, length of cruise, dining options (according to ship class) and so much more.

I was concerned that Royal is starting to sell more UDP than can be handled. Royal keeps track of EVERYTHING that sells on every ship for decades. I am concerned that this might be happening while Royal knows from past experience that it is being limited before the sale even occurs. Upon point of sale, I would like a little "buyer be aware" that dining options might be severely limited instead of finding the limitations after I have boarded.

I guess no salesperson want to say "no" to a sale but if the "unlimited" becomes "limited", something should be communicated up front to make me aware.

54 minutes ago, Engineroom Snipe said:

I had the 3 night package.  I made reservations for one night at Hibachi.  They woukd not let me cancel and use one of my nights.  I never tried pushing the issue, I just booked the other 3 nights at other restaurants.  Not the end of the world that we ended up with another night of specialty dining. 

• Thanks 2

4 hours ago, Engineroom Snipe said:

That is understandable and I am starting to get the flow. Lots of moving parts as always on any cruise.

Type of cruisers onboard, length of cruise, dining options (according to ship class) and so much more.

I was concerned that Royal is starting to sell more UDP than can be handled. Royal keeps track of EVERYTHING that sells on every ship for decades. I am concerned that this might be happening while Royal knows from past experience that it is being limited before the sale even occurs. Upon point of sale, I would like a little "buyer be aware" that dining options might be severely limited instead of finding the limitations after I have boarded.

I guess no salesperson want to say "no" to a sale but if the "unlimited" becomes "limited", something should be communicated up front to make me aware.

Dining packages such as UDP have sold out in the cruise planner on some of my cruises, so RCI seems to be making an attempt to keep the number of diners with packages in line with the number of slots typically available to them in the specialty restaurants.  Of course, timing and location of the available reservations might not appeal to every diner trying to make reservations.  

• Thanks 1

Isn't it to Royal's benefit to let people pay full price for prime dining reservations, and use the UDP customers to fill in the leftover availability? 

Like, getting top price for the 6-8 dining slots makes sense. Land restaurants do the same with happy hours early, and dining specials from 4-6pm. 

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Biker19 said:

Reading all the sold out stories, I cancelled our 5 night Pkg on the X Beyond before we cruise in April....Everything sold out in CP. Called Captain's Club....all sold out unless we want to go after 9.30. No reservations in the 4 MDRs available before 9 pm either.