Kids in specialty restaurants

I have a couple of questions about our upcoming Oasis cruise related to the specialty restaurants. My daughter is 9, and our cruise is over Spring Break, so I assume we will see kids everywhere. However, are there any venues that are more upscale and kids might feel uncomfortable (150 Central Park perhaps)? Our most recent cruise was in NCL’s Haven and we ate at the Haven restaurant most evenings but no specialty restaurants. 

Also, I know there is a kids menu, but my daughter is an adventurous eater. She loves steak, venison, lamb, seafood, etc. Can we pay the adult price for her and/or could she order the kids food but also share some of my food? Would this also be possible with the dining packages? 

12 minutes ago, wampuscat7 said:

I have a couple of questions about our upcoming Oasis cruise related to the specialty restaurants. My daughter is 9, and our cruise is over Spring Break, so I assume we will see kids everywhere. However, are there any venues that are more upscale and kids might feel uncomfortable (150 Central Park perhaps)? Our most recent cruise was in NCL’s Haven and we ate at the Haven restaurant most evenings but no specialty restaurants. 

Also, I know there is a kids menu, but my daughter is an adventurous eater. She loves steak, venison, lamb, seafood, etc. Can we pay the adult price for her and/or could she order the kids food but also share some of my food? Would this also be possible with the dining packages? 

My grandkids loved Chop's and Giovanni's. and not sure they would have enjoyed 150 CP.  They enjoyed the atmosphere and the menus.  They basically ordered from the adult menu, without a problem.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, wampuscat7 said:

Hard to say. If she likes to adventure with her dinner, I'd say any of the restaurants would be appropriate. 

• Like 1

While I  do think 150CP has an upscale feel, I also think the waitstaff would do their best make your daughter comfortable.  As fewer kids dine there, they might try to interact with her even more.  It’s wonderful if your daughter has already developed the manners and maturity for a long meal in that atmosphere.  Many kids (and some adults) would not enjoy it. Our oldest grandson had an adventurous palate from an early age; he could have enjoyed any/all the restaurants.  His sister would not have been as interested in some menus at the same age.  Just look at menus (with or without your daughter😀)

• Like 1

We have sailed on the Allure twice and the Oasis once, with our son (now 14) for a total of five nights at 150 CP.   Had a great experience each time, but favored the staff on the Allure.  Our son had the lobster each time and really, really enjoyed it.  He's pretty well behaved and was well received and treated by the staff.  Pleases and thank you's go a long way.

Enjoy!

• Like 1

Thank you all for your responses! We’ve looked at the menus with your daughter. If we feel like 150 CP will be too fancy, maybe we’ll make that a parents’ date night instead, but that was definitely the menu we were all the most excited about. I really appreciate all of the input. 

We went to Giovanni’s for lunch on the Oasis and my kids LOVED it. The waitress suggested straight away and our kids could all order off the adult menu if they wanted. The all did…one got the steak, one stuck with pasta, and my son got the branzino. We weren’t charged extra for any (although I did just remember my oldest is technically adult pricing. It was a fabulous experience!

• Like 1

Please take this with a grain of salt, but after eating at Chops and Hooked the last two nights on Symphony, kids should not be allowed in speciality restaurants. Having said that, we tried to keep an open mind and realize kids misbehaving is usually the fault of their parents. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

28 minutes ago, Minuet888 said:

Is 150 CP reservations only?

Like most pay venues, you are likely to be able to get in without reservations, especially at off peak times.

We have always taken my granddaughter into the specialty restaurants.  She has always been taught manners and even as a small child she would do pretty good.  But we as grandparents were always ready to take her out until she could return and be good.  Some are a little harder for small kids, 150 Central Park was a long meal but at 8 yo she did great.  I disagree that they should not be allowed because in the end it is the parents who are at fault, maybe ask them to leave and let the kids stay and see how they act.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
On 3/6/2024 at 6:51 PM, wampuscat7 said:

Thank you all for your responses! We’ve looked at the menus with your daughter. If we feel like 150 CP will be too fancy, maybe we’ll make that a parents’ date night instead, but that was definitely the menu we were all the most excited about. I really appreciate all of the input. 

150 is a little upscale but you will still see some in shorts and t shirts even on formal night. We took our granddaughter to Chop's and 150 CP when she was 10. She loved it, and she is a big eater as she is into every kind of sport. We paid adult prices for her at 150 even though now I don't think it was necessary, the meal at chops we paid for the kids meal and she was allowed to order off the full menu, I remember she ordered the Berkshire Pork belly app and the large Filet. 

Edited by taglovestocruise
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...
Posted (edited)

Instead of making a new thread I figured I could just ask here. I have read numerous responses about kids in the specialties, and some say they get charged, others say they don't. I also see that there are two different kids menus, one free and the other not.

I have a 3 year old who eats many things, and I would like to keep him going in that direction. If I bring him to the restaurants, will I be able to get the better kids menu? If so will I expect to be billed for it? Trying to determine whether or not to book a UDP for him in addition to ours, or just roll the dice on getting charged or not. However if we get charged in every location then it is certainly cheaper just to tack him onto the UDP.

Thoughts?

Edited by TheMillenniumRider

3 hours ago, TheMillenniumRider said:

If I bring him to the restaurants, will I be able to get the better kids menu?

That may depend on the waiter. Unlikely UDP makes sense for a three year old. 

On 3/7/2024 at 12:03 AM, PhillyFan33579 said:

Please take this with a grain of salt, but after eating at Chops and Hooked the last two nights on Symphony, kids should not be allowed in speciality restaurants. Having said that, we tried to keep an open mind and realize kids misbehaving is usually the fault of their parents. 

The cruise line is family friendly; therefore, all of the restaurants are open to kids. End of story!!

Parents shouldn't feel guilty taking their kids with them to any venue that is part of their vacation package. I say this as someone with no children. I just get sick of people complaining that there are kids acting like kids on a kid friendly vacation. Would you also complain that there are kids at Disney World?

The kids are passengers, just like the adults. If you don't like kids, go on an adult only cruise, please!

1 hour ago, TheBeardedCruiser said:

The cruise line is family friendly; therefore, all of the restaurants are open to kids. End of story!!

Parents shouldn't feel guilty taking their kids with them to any venue that is part of their vacation package. I say this as someone with no children. I just get sick of people complaining that there are kids acting like kids on a kid friendly vacation. Would you also complain that there are kids at Disney World?

The kids are passengers, just like the adults. If you don't like kids, go on an adult only cruise, please!

Maybe kids being kids is fine with you, but a kid who is screaming/crying for 45 consecutive minutes is not acceptable behavior in my book, regardless if they are at a speciality restaurant, the MDR or Disney World like you mentioned. Speaking of Disney World, I have been an annual pass holder for 15 years and spend around 45 days there every year. I have never witnessed kids behaving there like I did when we were on Symphony several months ago. 

• Like 1

If kids are behaving, I don't care where they are.  

If kids are misbehaving, staff should ask the parents to take them out of the venue.  This doesn't matter if it's a specialty restaurant, the windjammer, the pool, a "land" restaurant, or Disney World.

By "misbehaving", I'm talking about yelling, running around, throwing things, damaging things, etc.  I don't buy the "they're just acting like kids".  There's a time and place for that.  

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, S.A.M.J.R. said:

If kids are behaving, I don't care where they are.  

If kids are misbehaving, staff should ask the parents to take them out of the venue.  This doesn't matter if it's a specialty restaurant, the windjammer, the pool, a "land" restaurant, or Disney World.

By "misbehaving", I'm talking about yelling, running around, throwing things, damaging things, etc.  I don't buy the "they're just acting like kids".  There's a time and place for that.  

As a parent, I 100% agree. And I wish they’d do the same with adults. Several times I’ve been in a speciality restaurant where the whole place was “treated” to the loud chatter at one of the tables. If people are going to be loud then take it to playmakers or another area suited to that. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, TheBeardedCruiser said:

Agreed!  Wanted to add that last week on Harmony we ate at Chops.  We were seated next to a very large party of mixed ages (kids included). Some of the adults were very loud and obnoxious!  They left halfway through our meal and we all breathed a sigh of relief.  I'll take a well-behaved kid over obnoxious adults any day.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

Maybe kids being kids is fine with you, but a kid who is screaming/crying for 45 consecutive minutes is not acceptable behavior in my book, regardless if they are at a speciality restaurant, the MDR or Disney World like you mentioned. Speaking of Disney World, I have been an annual pass holder for 15 years and spend around 45 days there every year. I have never witnessed kids behaving there like I did when we were on Symphony several months ago. 

If kids are misbehaving for that long, yes, the parents should leave, or be asked to leave.

I just didn't like the blanket statement that kids should not be allowed in specialty restaurants. The majority of them are well behaved and I was defending the majority.

• Like 3