Q about “free” wellness offerings

In looking at the daily schedules, I see lots of “free” wellness offerings, like a massage sampler, an evaluation of your stride/posture, wrinkle removal seminar, etc.

Are these legit or merely opportunities for a hard sell? 

5 minutes ago, OrtonPark said:

In looking at the daily schedules, I see lots of “free” wellness offerings, like a massage sampler, an evaluation of your stride/posture, wrinkle removal seminar, etc.

Opportunities to sell for sure. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

The goal is to get you to purchase something of reasonably high value.  Shoe inserts. Acupuncture. Specialty facial treatments.  Teeth whitening.  How hard a sell, I don’t know.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

They clearly don't provide their services for free, and this is just another way to get you into the spa where they will offer all of the different options to you in the hope that you came there to purchase one - and they will do all they can to assist you in that decision.  And BTW most of their products and services are rather pricey.

Edited by leaveitallbehind
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, OrtonPark said:

Kind of both.    They do a “mini” treatment and then also recommend and try to sell things to you.   Me and my friend do them and there good overall but never felt pressured to buy anything.  

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, OrtonPark said:

On Edge:  Legit - yes, hard sell - YES!  If you give your suite # and don't purchase anything beyond the consultation, you will have a call or phone message every time you return to your room, it truly becomes obnoxious.  My wonderful butler magically made it go away.

• Thanks 1

I'm sure the following is based on how booked they are but on multiple sailings, on sea days, they'll set up a massage chair (upright) during lunchtime and give free short massages.  Obviously, they're going to try to talk you into booking.  Also on the day of embarkation, they offer the same short massages yet there can be a line of people

• Thanks 1

It's a lure for them to get you into the spa so they can sell you on services and products.  I go for the free mini treatments or chair massage and be done with it.  I did the thing with measuring your gait once, and in the end, he wanted to sell me shoe inserts.  It was a joke!  He wasn't even a podiatrist.

• Thanks 1

so for the face or eye treatments they will do one side only hoping you feel or see the need to have the other done. For feet they do a quick effective job on one foot so feel the difference when you walk away and might 'needing' to pay so you balance out

Yes all hard sells . Info sessions are sales pitches for products or services  

• Thanks 1

I’ve posted a few times of my “ experience “ from the FREE 5 minute message.

She finally let me go (  Over $350 later) with all kinds of crap—

Holy S—t , I never knew my back was, my shoulders were, and my skin was etc, etc.

I was in terrible shape— UNTIL, She said she could “ fix “me up !

Yup, when I left the Spa I felt great!! A new man !! I smelled like a peach and had a bag with “ stuff “ guaranteed to make me feel great and look 20 years younger.

The “ feeling “ went away within about 4 minutes after I returned to our cabin—— Guess who “ expressed an opinion “ on the $350 ($US) , the peach fragrance , and the 20 years younger “ guarantee “.

Somehow I didn’t have an appetite that night for dinner and kept trying to change the subject— 

Is it nice to call someone an “ Idiot “ over and over again??

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

On 3/9/2024 at 8:05 PM, kaysha2004 said:

It's a lure for them to get you into the spa so they can sell you on services and products.  I go for the free mini treatments or chair massage and be done with it.  I did the thing with measuring your gait once, and in the end, he wanted to sell me shoe inserts.  It was a joke!  He wasn't even a podiatrist.

we went to a " free" lecture on how to boost one's immunity..  Full room (all.of us dupes) 

It was interesting at first,  til they started  an aggressive pitch to sell  expensive subscriptions for  seaweed pills..Not what we were looking for..

As most of us got up to leave, they got VERY NASTY saying we wasted their time.   Takes nerve!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1