Celebrity is turning into a rip off

Posted (edited)

As far as I'm aware, a low-price guarantee that extends past final payment simply doesn't exist on any cruise line.  Switching to another cruise line will not make you less vulnerable to this reoccurring in the future.  So that leaves you, and everyone, with a choice...

A) Book early.  Watch for price improvements up until final payment.  Realize that you will miss out on any last minute booking deals that may occur.

B) Wait to book in hopes that there will be last minute deals offered after the final payment date. Realize that no such deals may be offered, you may wind up paying more than if you booked early and you may not have a good selection of cabins, excursions, etc.

Whenever one has a choice, there's always the possibility that time will show that the wrong choice was made.  That happened to you in this case.  It happens.  You could have waited to see if last minute deals were offered.  You didn't. I don't either, and sometimes I miss out on last minute price reductions.  However, given that I don't live within driving distance to the ports, I care about having a good choice of cabins, I don't want to book my airfare at the last minute when prices often rise, I don't want to find the most popular excursions already booked, etc...  I find the risk of waiting is greater than the reward.  Lamenting that low-price guarantees aren't offered past final payment is perhaps understandable, but ultimately pointless. 

Edited by mnocket
  • Like 4

15 hours ago, kaysha2004 said:

I know your frustration, as I've been experiencing it, too.  For itineraries with Lahaina on the list of ports and it's not replaced with another port, Celebrity owes you money for the port fees and taxes for Maui if you booked before their official notification in November 2023.  I'm on the Edge for the Transpacific cruise on 4/14/24.  My TA got nowhere with Celebrity, so we had a 3-way call and I insisted that they couldn't keep my money if no port was replaced regardless of the reason.  In the end, after giving me the caveat that they're making a "special" exception for me and they don't owe me anything, I was given a $25 OBC.

I'll be taking my cruise vacations with other lines.  I really like Virgin.

You may think that a missed port automatically leads to a refund of port fees but that isn’t how it actually works.

port fees are constantly going up and down.  It’s possible that the other ports you are visiting actually have increased fees.   When that happens, you would not get a refund for the missed port.

also, some ports charge different port fees for passengers of different nationalities.  So one passenger might get a refund for a missed port’s fees while another passenger, on the same cruise, wouldn’t.

it won’t be any different on any other cruise line.

15 hours ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

"A large cruise ship owned by Celebrity Cruises appeared on the horizon of Key West’s Pier B Saturday morning. As it grew larger and larger to the view, so too did a crowd of protesters staged on the adjacent pier. A flotilla of fishing boats, led by local Capt. Will Benson, amassed in the water as well."

Pier B is privately owned, so if they want to let ships dock, they can, vote or no vote.

20 minutes ago, hrhdhd said:

Pier B is privately owned, so if they want to let ships dock, they can, vote or no vote.

That's one of the cruise-related items SOME were protesting against (the article I posted goes into more detail), another was limiting the number of ships and/or passengers and some wanted an outright ship ban.  They bundled them all under "No big ships"

11 hours ago, hcat said:

O P

what has been your experience with other cruise lines on this type of issue?   ( I don't see many prior posts by you  here on CC...)

I have only cruised on Celebrity, Princess and Holland America.  And once on Carnival so I don't really count that as I think you need to experience many ships (and crews), and many itineraries in order to form a valid opinion.  We used to cruise with Princess a lot, but then tried Celebrity many years ago.  We found Celebrity just a tick up from the other lines in things like crew attention to detail, food in the MDR, shows, etc.  Not a huge difference, but just better. 

Our last cruise was back on Princess because they had an itinerary we really wanted.  It was on Sky Princess and I have to say those distinctions are gone or reversed (except the entertainment).  Again, just one cruise but my wife and I both noticed it.  So either Princess has gone up or Celebrity has gone down?  And both are better than HAL.  Just my opinion!  Since you asked!

Oh, and I have never asked for compensation before per the issue that drove this post.  Not from any cruise line.  I have seem the issue where we could have gotten a better price closer to the cruise date.  As others have noted that is quite common - but I have NEVER seen the apples-apples price drop to less than half price.  Sorry that's just a rip-off and a slap to those who book early.

Best comment I have on this post is that I just shouldn't look, and save myself the pain!!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, BP99 said:

Hi,

Totally agree. Last minute cruise rates are usually GREAT (except for cabin selection) BUT last

minute airfare is usually terrible. Especially if you live in Canada (like us).

Last minute cruise booking works well if you live near the cruise port.

Yes, we needed to book airfare early as well for this reason.  But we didn't do it through Celebrity so no hope there.  Good thought though.

4 hours ago, cw2go said:

We've never sailed Hawaii, only visited with land trips. Although we've enjoyed Maui, I agree Lahaina was just okay, I loved Kauai and Hubby loved Big Island, enough to return several times. We witnessed this explosion while have lunch in VNP. The left is our pic, taken with an iPhone from over a mile away. The earth literally shook. Very COOL experience and nothing that anyone could ever plan for.  

So all that being said my best input for the OP is that any vacation wether be by land or sea will have many plusses & minuses, lots of variables at play. When it comes to price drops after final payment, you just need to let that go. Motto: You win some ~ You lose some, in the end it all comes out in the wash. IMO Celebrity still offers a great product, when looking at other comparable lines, they exceed in service, dining and overall ship design.

Cruising has changed, the traveler has changed and life as we know it has changed. 

Enjoy Hawaii, 

Patty 

11212654_933321703355935_5282376828581727972_o.jpg

Wow - very cool.  And GREAT advice!!  Thanks

• Like 1

Can never get my mind around this thought process.  Celebrity is following the terms you agreed to.  In no way is this a ripoff.  Just think about how good you would feel if the price went up.  I doubt you'd be calling and requesting to pay more.  

• Like 3

I have been reading this same complaint for years here on CC. Nothing has changed. I look at it as what if it worked the opposite way and a cruise line could raise your fee as the ship started to meet full capacity? After I make final payment, I never check the current prices. This is not a rip off. You agreed to the price when you booked. 

Posted (edited)
29 minutes ago, Julma said:

Can never get my mind around this thought process.  Celebrity is following the terms you agreed to.  In no way is this a ripoff.  Just think about how good you would feel if the price went up.  I doubt you'd be calling and requesting to pay more.  

My Transpacific next year went up over $1100 PP for an inside cabin, before they sold out.

I’m sitting pretty at having locked in $1600 PP.

Edited by tscoffey

17 hours ago, kaysha2004 said:

I know your frustration, as I've been experiencing it, too.  For itineraries with Lahaina on the list of ports and it's not replaced with another port, Celebrity owes you money for the port fees and taxes for Maui if you booked before their official notification in November 2023.  I'm on the Edge for the Transpacific cruise on 4/14/24.  My TA got nowhere with Celebrity, so we had a 3-way call and I insisted that they couldn't keep my money if no port was replaced regardless of the reason.  In the end, after giving me the caveat that they're making a "special" exception for me and they don't owe me anything, I was given a $25 OBC.

I'll be taking my cruise vacations with other lines.  I really like Virgin.

Celebrity did not owe you anything.

Please educate yourself on how the cost of the  division of port fees among passengers are estimated far in advanced of a itinerary being offered for sale and what may happen in the interim between the estimate paid and the actual cost of the fees of all ports visited.

44 minutes ago, Julma said:

When I was dealing with the South America trip, the price did go down more.  When talking to them about something else, I asked about more OBC for that difference.  The agent's comment was "well, if the price went up, we won't call you and ask for more money".  And good thing, since that cruise was more the exception, since the price for our room is slightly higher with no tips or OBC.

18 hours ago, markeb said:

The only thing you gain checking prices after final payment is frustration. Just don’t do it. 

I check to see if I can upgrade to a higher category for only a few bucks. 🙂

15 hours ago, abbydancer2003 said:

I'm on this cruise as well, but not in a balcony (mini suite).  For me, if I rebooked today, it would cost several hundred more, and I'd lose tips and a bunch of OBC.  YMMV.

I think one time, I got some extra OBC after final, and that was a very specific situation.  We were in a Sky Suite on a South American/Antarctic itinerary, and the prices kept dropping (my guess was airfare had become ridiculous from North America).  The price of a Celebrity Suite went to about 300.00 more than I paid for the Sky.  So I paid 300.00 and moved us.  The next day, it dropped to what we'd paid for the Sky Suite.  I called and they gave us 300.00 refundable OBC.  It was, I believe, because of the timing.  It was also in 2019, so pre-pandemic.  After the pandemic, pricing did become a little more rigid.

And in 2022, I was in Maui at the "other side".  We were back on the ship by noon, since there's not much there.  I was looking forward to Maui, but we just rented a car for the first day in Hilo to go see Volcanos National Park since we'll now have time. 

If you ever return to Kahului, rent a car and go explore UpCountry Maui. It’s my favorite place to visit with good restaurants, funky little shops/art galleries/glass blowing studios, etc. 

We are on the transpacific from Sydney to Honolulu. Prior to final payment, the price of our MS dropped about $4000 -, although we lost the OBC that came with the booking (somehow the prepaid gratuities survived, and I confirmed that twice), we were still well ahead.

Well, the day after final payment, he price of the Sky Suites (MS, S1 and AS but not the Sunset Sky Suites) dropped by another $4000 (for 2. Some on our roll call reported success in getting a refund. We had a Magic Carpet Suite and X allowed us to upgrade to the Aqua Sky Suite at no extra charge - the rep initially said that we would only be able to do it if the fare was higher but Resolutions sided with me.  The Sunset Sky Suites were deeply discounted about two weeks later, so I called again and “upgraded” (some would say downgraded but we love that wake view), again for no charge. I think they are blocking my calls now, lol.

My only quarrel re cancelling Lahaina is that Celebrity waited until November to do so even though it was abundantly clear that it would not happen. Other lines found alternate Hawaiian ports but we have a sail by the Na Pali coast of Kauai.  Although it’s stunning, we will likely be too far away to see much beyond a hazy shadow. And now we’ll be clearing immigration at disembarkation in Honolulu, which can be a complete and utter disaster in my experience. I’m glad we didn’t book a noon flight home! We go to Hawaii several times a year and our real target for this cruise was Australia and sailing on Edge, so are not as disappointed as others, for whom Maui was a major attraction.

We spent two weeks in Lahaina January/February (the resorts of Kaanapali are in Lahaina; it was “only” Lahaina Town and nearby neighborhoods that were destroyed). The residents were almost universally warm and welcoming and the only ones we spoke with about the situation were our friends. 

15 minutes ago, critterchick said:

If you ever return to Kahului, rent a car and go explore UpCountry Maui. It’s my favorite place to visit with good restaurants, funky little shops/art galleries/glass blowing studios, etc. 

We are on the transpacific from Sydney to Honolulu. Prior to final payment, the price of our MS dropped about $4000 -, although we lost the OBC that came with the booking (somehow the prepaid gratuities survived, and I confirmed that twice), we were still well ahead.

Well, the day after final payment, he price of the Sky Suites (MS, S1 and AS but not the Sunset Sky Suites) dropped by another $4000 (for 2. Some on our roll call reported success in getting a refund. We had a Magic Carpet Suite and X allowed us to upgrade to the Aqua Sky Suite at no extra charge - the rep initially said that we would only be able to do it if the fare was higher but Resolutions sided with me.  The Sunset Sky Suites were deeply discounted about two weeks later, so I called again and “upgraded” (some would say downgraded but we love that wake view), again for no charge. I think they are blocking my calls now, lol.

My only quarrel re cancelling Lahaina is that Celebrity waited until November to do so even though it was abundantly clear that it would not happen. Other lines found alternate Hawaiian ports but we have a sail by the Na Pali coast of Kauai.  Although it’s stunning, we will likely be too far away to see much beyond a hazy shadow. And now we’ll be clearing immigration at disembarkation in Honolulu, which can be a complete and utter disaster in my experience. I’m glad we didn’t book a noon flight home! We go to Hawaii several times a year and our real target for this cruise was Australia and sailing on Edge, so are not as disappointed as others, for whom Maui was a major attraction.

We spent two weeks in Lahaina January/February (the resorts of Kaanapali are in Lahaina; it was “only” Lahaina Town and nearby neighborhoods that were destroyed). The residents were almost universally warm and welcoming and the only ones we spoke with about the situation were our friends. 

Thanks for the response.  Good intel!

I do sympathize I know how unfair it feels when this happens. I hemmed and hawed and have been discouraged by the remarks on this board. So I bit the bullet and have changed over to another line. 3 more cruises have been booked on a different cruise line. I have cruised this line before so I know  will be happy with them.

tough thing is I have always been loyal to just celebrity and it is sad to decide no more, but I have with no regrets.

i do know, there is most probably not a line out there that can compare with celebrity’s beautiful cabins, but that’s about all.

Step away, and try another line, you will feel better.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Avidcruiser321 said:

Did you try this?  They won't upgrade you for $0 but if you can find a better cabin that you want for little $$ over what you paid they have always done that as an "upgrade" charging the delta between what you paid and the prevailing rate.

2 hours ago, gizmodog said:

I do sympathize I know how unfair it feels when this happens. I hemmed and hawed and have been discouraged by the remarks on this board. So I bit the bullet and have changed over to another line. 3 more cruises have been booked on a different cruise line. I have cruised this line before so I know  will be happy with them.

tough thing is I have always been loyal to just celebrity and it is sad to decide no more, but I have with no regrets.

i do know, there is most probably not a line out there that can compare with celebrity’s beautiful cabins, but that’s about all.

Are you able to share what companies you booked with?

22 hours ago, Avidcruiser321 said:

Need to vent here.  I understand that cruising is back and that cruise lines are busy again, so the value of loyalty is less, but man, it sure is disappointing.

My story - we booked the Solstice over a year ago to go from Hawaii to Vancouver on April 25.  Paid a princely sum for a nice balcony cabin and was satisfied at the time.  Of course once the 90 day mark passes we get that there will be some "sales" as folks don't want to make their final payments, but on this cruise we keep seeing deals that are less than half what we paid.  Apples to apples the same cruise for less than half the price.  Actually it's a

WORSE cruise now as they took Lahaina off the itinerary.  When I call Celebrity I get the standard "nothing we can do since you are all paid up" speech.  I asked them if there was really nothing?  Not an upgrade, not a credit, really?  nothing?  After a song and a dance and a "let me check with my supervisor" BS hold, I get nope - nothing.  FU loyal customer with well over 400 CC points and 2 more cruises booked after this one.  And the guy then rubs salt in the wound by saying "we see you booked over a year ago, if you had booked more recently then maybe we could have done something"!  Really???  it should be the other way around.

Anyhow, I agree with a lot of the posts here that Celebrity is really going downhill.  We also have status on Princess so I guess we need to start looking more seriously at them again.  And at least they have real balconies on their new ships.

4 hours ago, gizmodog said:

Thanks for the encouraging words!  I appreciate it.

2 hours ago, wrk2cruise said:

Did you try this?  They won't upgrade you for $0 but if you can find a better cabin that you want for little $$ over what you paid they have always done that as an "upgrade" charging the delta between what you paid and the prevailing rate.

I am going to look into this.  I will post an update if it works!

Yes I can share,the reason I was, am hesitant its because then all of the celebrity fans will reply with some discouraging words of why they don’t like the cruiseline.

its Holland America. Three cruises booked two in Neptune suites and one a veranda. all included tips included on one, not on the other two.

We just returned from a HAL last June and really enjoyed it. So I hope we have a good time on these also.

4 minutes ago, gizmodog said:

Yes I can share,the reason I was, am hesitant its because then all of the celebrity fans will reply with some discouraging words of why they don’t like the cruiseline.

its Holland America. Three cruises booked two in Neptune suites and one a veranda. all included tips included on one, not on the other two.

We just returned from a HAL last June and really enjoyed it. So I hope we have a good time on these also.

My sons MIL & FIL just returned froma HAL cruised, they raved about it.  While they are not frequent cruisers, they have been on Oceania, Celebrity and now HAL, they said HAL was their favorite.  

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, gizmodog said:

What did you like about it?  Is there a good variety of restaurants?  What about entertainment?

I ask these questions not to be rude (as one poster told me I was) but to show interest in your experience.  

I am happy with Celebrity in Aqua.  But I do see that the Sky Suites are expensive.  So I am getting prices for other cruise lines.  At current prices I think we’re happy in Aqua though we have one more SS booked on Celebrity.

26 minutes ago, zitsky said:

What did you like about it?  Is there a good variety of restaurants?  What about entertainment?

I ask these questions not to be rude (as one poster told me I was) but to show interest in your experience.  

I am happy with Celebrity in Aqua.  But I do see that the Sky Suites are expensive.  So I am getting prices for other cruise lines.  At current prices I think we’re happy in Aqua though we have one more SS booked on Celebrity.

We like Celebrity, but recently we have decided that Princess is a better value.  We usually book Reserve Class Mini-Suite on Princess.  But we are also scheduled to sale Holland America a during October, 2025.