Celebrity is turning into a rip off

Need to vent here.  I understand that cruising is back and that cruise lines are busy again, so the value of loyalty is less, but man, it sure is disappointing.

My story - we booked the Solstice over a year ago to go from Hawaii to Vancouver on April 25.  Paid a princely sum for a nice balcony cabin and was satisfied at the time.  Of course once the 90 day mark passes we get that there will be some "sales" as folks don't want to make their final payments, but on this cruise we keep seeing deals that are less than half what we paid.  Apples to apples the same cruise for less than half the price.  Actually it's a

WORSE cruise now as they took Lahaina off the itinerary.  When I call Celebrity I get the standard "nothing we can do since you are all paid up" speech.  I asked them if there was really nothing?  Not an upgrade, not a credit, really?  nothing?  After a song and a dance and a "let me check with my supervisor" BS hold, I get nope - nothing.  FU loyal customer with well over 400 CC points and 2 more cruises booked after this one.  And the guy then rubs salt in the wound by saying "we see you booked over a year ago, if you had booked more recently then maybe we could have done something"!  Really???  it should be the other way around.

Anyhow, I agree with a lot of the posts here that Celebrity is really going downhill.  We also have status on Princess so I guess we need to start looking more seriously at them again.  And at least they have real balconies on their new ships.

• Like 8
  • Haha 4

10 minutes ago, Avidcruiser321 said:

Need to vent here.  I understand that cruising is back and that cruise lines are busy again, so the value of loyalty is less, but man, it sure is disappointing.

My story - we booked the Solstice over a year ago to go from Hawaii to Vancouver on April 25.  Paid a princely sum for a nice balcony cabin and was satisfied at the time.  Of course once the 90 day mark passes we get that there will be some "sales" as folks don't want to make their final payments, but on this cruise we keep seeing deals that are less than half what we paid.  Apples to apples the same cruise for less than half the price.  Actually it's a

WORSE cruise now as they took Lahaina off the itinerary.  When I call Celebrity I get the standard "nothing we can do since you are all paid up" speech.  I asked them if there was really nothing?  Not an upgrade, not a credit, really?  nothing?  After a song and a dance and a "let me check with my supervisor" BS hold, I get nope - nothing.  FU loyal customer with well over 400 CC points and 2 more cruises booked after this one.  And the guy then rubs salt in the wound by saying "we see you booked over a year ago, if you had booked more recently then maybe we could have done something"!  Really???  it should be the other way around.

Anyhow, I agree with a lot of the posts here that Celebrity is really going downhill.  We also have status on Princess so I guess we need to start looking more seriously at them again.  And at least they have real balconies on their new ships.

This link spells out their best price guarantee with a form you can fill out and submit.

Best Price Guarantee | Celebrity Cruises 

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Ex-Airbalancer said:

What a funny thread!

itinerary was change because the port was closed because of the fires in August 

Really?  That's what you took from my post?  That I was complaining about the itinerary change?  Sheesh.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, CHEZMARYLOU said:

Sorry but it has been this way for years and years and 400 points are not really that many. Try to enjoy your cruise and check out Princess in the future.

Yes, not trying to change the world, just venting like I said.  And that is VERY good advice!!

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, Ex-Airbalancer said:

What a funny thread!

itinerary was change because the port was closed because of the fires in August 

We were on the Vancouver to Oahu sailing, the fires happened just before this sailing and boy were people upset.  What triggered many was the NCL ship was still going to Maui's north port which wasn't affected by the fires so many wanted X to find a creative solution to dock in the north port but they wouldn't and also, they wouldn't refund anyone.  Several were upset about that.  We were on a comped fare and still went, was a good time

Edited by NutsAboutGolf
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Avidcruiser321 said:

Thanks, it's worth a try!

Just a warning before you are more frustrated with longstanding policies. That form will do nothing for you. You aren’t before final payment and your booking wasn’t made within the past 48hrs. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, Avidcruiser321 said:

I'll go out on a limb and say that you will not get a lot of sympathy here.  The fact is, there is nothing to sympathize with, nothing.  You were not wronged in any way shape or form.  P.S. I'm guessing the good folks in Lahaina are happy to rebuild without a lot of us tourists planking about.  

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Liao said:

I'll go out on a limb and say that you will not get a lot of sympathy here.  The fact is, there is nothing to sympathize with, nothing.  You were not wronged in any way shape or form.  P.S. I'm guessing the good folks in Lahaina are happy to rebuild without a lot of us tourists planking about.  

Not really

image.thumb.png.2e2c7bd5371222b65c2498fb00d05415.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

Not really

image.thumb.png.2e2c7bd5371222b65c2498fb00d05415.png

a small portion is open to tourists and it is as much as they want for now, they are still rebuilding.  CBS news can say what they want, but the residents have the final say

• Like 3

I found that while cruise only fares go on a decent discount, for my Trans Atlantic Cruise that still has over 70 cabins available with over 50 of those in obstructed balcony, if I do all included (which no longer includes $468 in gratuities), and $0 onboard credit vs the $350 that I received would be $3763 vs the $4583 that i paid but if you add in the OBC and tip the difference is $4581 vs $4583 and that is now with an obstructed balcony vs a prime concierge.  I have had time to get internet and drinks upgrade for 50% off, shore excursions for 40% off and meal plan for 25% off.  Cruise only its a bigger discount and I am considering booking my vacation time during a time next year when there are several cruises that I might want and then waiting until 30-60 days before booking but I am risking getting nothing , or a cabin type that I am not crazy about or flights that are out of reach.  I get the discount if I am willing on taking those risks.  Since the cruise I am looking at is out of reach on my budget unless I book interior, I am thinking that I might not have anything to lose.

• Like 3

I was just thinking the opposite. We booked a veranda for an upcoming cruise. A month before final payment was due the price dropped for Aqua. We ended up paying $2500 less for Aqua than we originally had for a veranda.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Avidcruiser321 said:

My story - we booked the Solstice over a year ago to go from Hawaii to Vancouver on April 25.  Paid a princely sum for a nice balcony cabin and was satisfied at the time.  Actually it's a WORSE cruise now as they took Lahaina off the itinerary. 

I know your frustration, as I've been experiencing it, too.  For itineraries with Lahaina on the list of ports and it's not replaced with another port, Celebrity owes you money for the port fees and taxes for Maui if you booked before their official notification in November 2023.  I'm on the Edge for the Transpacific cruise on 4/14/24.  My TA got nowhere with Celebrity, so we had a 3-way call and I insisted that they couldn't keep my money if no port was replaced regardless of the reason.  In the end, after giving me the caveat that they're making a "special" exception for me and they don't owe me anything, I was given a $25 OBC.

I'll be taking my cruise vacations with other lines.  I really like Virgin.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
59 minutes ago, Liao said:

a small portion is open to tourists and it is as much as they want for now, they are still rebuilding.  CBS news can say what they want, but the residents have the final say

Your point is more universal than Maui-specific...There are very few cruise ship ports where the residents want tourists clogging up their roads and making it impossible to dine in at their favorite restaurant during their lunch hour.   It's only those who get paid who want cruise ship tourists such as local Governments (with taxes) and tourist-based businesses.  Key West residents even voted to ban big cruise ships but the local Government went to court and overruled them.  Their locals were initially protesting when big ships arrived both in boats on the water and standing by the pier, here's a story about when a Celebrity ship appeared:

https://www.keysnews.com/news/local/protests-greet-another-large-cruise-ship-in-key-west/article_9cb350e0-86b4-11ec-aeee-d7810749e647.html

image.thumb.png.6903796694d2589841a1a06da6a15c5d.png

"A large cruise ship owned by Celebrity Cruises appeared on the horizon of Key West’s Pier B Saturday morning. As it grew larger and larger to the view, so too did a crowd of protesters staged on the adjacent pier. A flotilla of fishing boats, led by local Capt. Will Benson, amassed in the water as well."

Edited by NutsAboutGolf

We book the cruises we want..

(dates, itin,  &  ship)  as early as we can..with the best deal we find. 

We   pick our rm..do not change, do not bid to move up or chase  reductions.  Usually,  we are way ahead in pricing from those who book later.

We buy insurance just in case it's needed.   Prices can go up or down..some will get  a last minute bargain..we did once!

But I see no injustice here.

Sad for losing a port ( Lahaina) but that was  not our fav anyhow.

If OP is very unhappy..maybe cancel, take the penalty and start fresh..and figure out something for air

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Sympathize,  but putting your FACTS to Celebrity in writing before you cruise will sometimes result in credit.  We had a special one off cruise for the 100th Anniversary of a WWI battle.  The day AFTER final payment they announced that nobody would be allowed to attend the on shore memorial service.  The rule was made by Turkey and not Celebrity's fault. Some 500 canceled and price dropped from $3K to 1.5K for the cruise.  I sent an email to the executive office with a screen shot of current and my payments and an explanation.   Ultimately 1 canceled and rebooked with the penalty reduced from $1500 to $200.

1 hour ago, kaysha2004 said:

I know your frustration, as I've been experiencing it, too.  For itineraries with Lahaina on the list of ports and it's not replaced with another port, Celebrity owes you money for the port fees and taxes for Maui if you booked before their official notification in November 2023.  I'm on the Edge for the Transpacific cruise on 4/14/24.  My TA got nowhere with Celebrity, so we had a 3-way call and I insisted that they couldn't keep my money if no port was replaced regardless of the reason.  In the end, after giving me the caveat that they're making a "special" exception for me and they don't owe me anything, I was given a $25 OBC.

I'll be taking my cruise vacations with other lines.  I really like Virgin.

With the way port fees are constantly changing, they don’t always owe you money for a missed port. The amount you commit to at booking is just an estimate of your portion of port fees. So just because the cruise ship doesn’t have to pay Lahaina port fees doesn’t mean the fees haven’t gone up for other ports on your itinerary since your booking.

• Like 1

I get your frustration. It happened to me on another line. But it isn’t a new policy and in my experience, it’s the policy of many cruise lines. 

• Thanks 2