Do all balcony rooms have sofa beds?

This isn’t my first rodeo with Royal so I should know this but do all sofa’s convert to sofa beds.

Our son is getting older now (and bigger) so I think it needs to be a pull out sofa hence the question but I don’t know how to choose one.

On the deck plans some rooms have an asterisk or a triangle, is that the distinction?

Thanks

No some are regular sofas. You need to put 3 in mock booking and it will show which cabins have the sofa bed. Cabins that hold 3 are a different category from those that hold 2. Often more expensive. . 

1 hour ago, Tin can said:

On the deck plans some rooms have an asterisk or a triangle, is that the distinction?

Yes.

As a general rule, Royal won't let you put 3 people in a 2 person cabin is my understanding.

3 minutes ago, Tree_skier said:

Yes.

As a general rule, Royal won't let you put 3 people in a 2 person cabin is my understanding.

Could a 3 person cabin be made up with a pull down bed rather than a sofa bed or do all 3 & 4 person cabins have a sofa bed.

I’m specifically after a cabin with a sofa bed for us as I don’t want our son having to use a pull down.

If sofa beds are standard then great, if not how do I know which cabins have them.

7 minutes ago, Tin can said:

Could a 3 person cabin be made up with a pull down bed rather than a sofa bed or do all 3 & 4 person cabins have a sofa bed.

Now that I am not sure about.  I think that that is ship dependent. What ship are you on... I'm sure the experts here will chime in.

7 minutes ago, Tin can said:

I’m specifically after a cabin with a sofa bed for us as I don’t want our son having to use a pull down.

That depends on the ship - older ships have pullmans, newer ships have sofa beds.

8 minutes ago, Tin can said:

If sofa beds are standard then great, if not how do I know which cabins have them.

The deck plans used to specifically say if there was a sofabed or pullman but now they are more generic and say they can sleep 3 or 4 people.  What ship are you sailing?  That will help you get correct answers.

Thanks all, I am looking at a sailing on Spectrum of the Seas and a non connecting room so presumably a full sized sofa.

Just now, steveru621 said:

Something has to be smaller to accommodate the door.

The newer ships (starting with Oasis class?) have the connecting door up by the cabin entrance, not anywhere near the sofa or the bed.

Here's an example:

2 minutes ago, Tin can said:

Thanks all, I am looking at a sailing on Spectrum of the Seas and a non connecting room so presumably a full sized sofa.

Spectrum will have a full size sofabed that has a trundle that pulls out.  The trundle can be left at a lower level to make two sleeping areas or set up at the level of the main part to make one large bed.  Many leave the trundle lower if they have someone young sleeping in it.

• Like 1

Just now, steveru621 said:

Hump spacious balconies on Oydessy; the cabin is square and only has a chair.  

Like I said, some ships have full-size sofas in connecting rooms.  I obviously should qualify that with "some rooms on some ships".

6 minutes ago, time4u2go said:

The newer ships (starting with Oasis class?) have the connecting door up by the cabin entrance, not anywhere near the sofa or the bed.

Here's an example:

Less closet space.

2 minutes ago, steveru621 said:

Less closet space.

I don't disagree.  I was just pointing out that your statement, "Connecting rooms have half-size sofas" isn't always true, in case anyone was using that information to choose a room.

1 minute ago, time4u2go said:

Like I said, some ships have full-size sofas in connecting rooms.  I obviously should qualify that with "some rooms on some ships".

I should have said, Non-connecting cabins (Hump spacious balconies on Oydessy; the cabin is square and only have a chair).  

We were just in a Non-connecting, Spacious Balcony Hump, no sofa, only a chair.

31 minutes ago, time4u2go said:

Not always.  Some ships have full-size sofas in connecting rooms.

...and some non-connecting cabins have love-sea size sofas/hideabeds.  We were recently on Radiance in a 1D balcony room.  Not only did it have a loveseat-sized sofa (which would have pulled out for a single bed if we had needed it) but it also had an obstructed view.  We were not at all happy with this room.

5 hours ago, Tin can said:

Our son is getting older now (and bigger)

how old and big is your kid? Is he anywhere close to 165 cm? Mine is and he still loves pullman beds. However, Oasis class and newer doesn't have pullman beds.

Here is what a sofa bed looked like in a regular balcony on Harmony: big enough to accommodate a regular adult (I took naps on it just fine, and I am pretty fluffy and tall for a woman):

20211121_145957.thumb.jpg.5ac24343ed30cb6665d9c44573a0d910.jpg20211124_200543.thumb.jpg.ddf231f011ee945d0f33fc4ed74cf11a.jpg

And this is a sofa bed on the Allure: definitely a double

20220603_101527.thumb.jpg.f56d7b1a9bbd770ed2f675a7e12aa4b5.jpg20220603_150006.thumb.jpg.a397bd02e2a399464dd651fe13c26630.jpg

And this is a double sofa bed on the Oasis:

20230408_210732.thumb.jpg.79e54aceb1dbf5be2c250fe9669560da.jpg20230408_210659.thumb.jpg.e460233555ff8e27c7b07ae7a0288016.jpg

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

what?

If I book a cabin for 3, I am definitely expecting a sofa. So, you telling us the room will only have a chair tells me that you had a cabin for 2.

There are other reasons to want a sofa.  

Comfort during the day.

We use it sometimes to babysit our grandchild in the evening.

All with a cabin booked for two; expectations.