Formal Nights

It is not generally enforced.  As long as you are "presentable" there should not be any problems eating in the main dining room.  Torn jeans and shorts would typically not qualify.  I now just wear dockers and a polo or button-down shirt and am fine.  The days of truly formal nights are a thing of the past.

• Like 2

Formal nights?  They went away except for Cunard some years ago.  Think of what you would wear to a nice restaurant at home.  DW wears a dressy blouse, nice jewelry and long silky pants.  I occasionally will wear a dress shirt and once each cruise a tie.  I bring a sports coat if cruising or visiting cool places.

Cruises in the Med tend to be dressier. Alaska and the Caribbean more casual.

If you want more answers simply do a search on Dress Code or Formal.  Hundreds of threads.

And yes a very few will be in gowns and tuxedos or kilts 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, TM said:

It is not generally enforced.  As long as you are "presentable" there should not be any problems eating in the main dining room.  Torn jeans and shorts would typically not qualify.  I now just wear dockers and a polo or button-down shirt and am fine.  The days of truly formal nights are a thing of the past.

Thank you, taking "dress up" clothes means an extra suite case. DH like jeans and dress pants and polo shirts mainly. 

• Like 2

We just got off the Regal on Sunday.  In the MDR I saw shorts and tshirts plus hat.  It appears that they do not enforce dress codes at all.  I was shocked.  We both wore more respectable clothing to the MDR with long pants etc.  Felt like I was on a carnival ship!

• Like 4

Last July, Alaska, 7 days RT Seattle.  Formal nights were a mixed bag.  I saw some dress up on Formal nights, but they were in the minority.  I dug out some old office attire, from when we wore ties, and did slacks, button up and a tie.  I didn't win any best dressed awards, but I wasn't out of place either.  My wife wore something sparkly, but subdued.  We can always put our daughter into something dressy in about 5 minutes and she looks spectacular.  Ah to be that young again.  Either way, I wouldn't say that the dress code is heavily enforced.  Smart casual nights are really up to interpretation.  I was always in nice jeans and a polo and felt very much at home.

• Thanks 1

We were on this ship last December. No enforcement noticed, pretty much anything goes. You'll be fine as long as you don't look like Tim Curry in Rocky Horror...

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

8 hours ago, Arizona Wildcat said:

Formal nights?  They went away except for Cunard some years ago.  Think of what you would wear to a nice restaurant at home.  DW wears a dressy blouse, nice jewelry and long silky pants.  I occasionally will wear a dress shirt and once each cruise a tie.  I bring a sports coat if cruising or visiting cool places.

Cruises in the Med tend to be dressier. Alaska and the Caribbean more casual.

If you want more answers simply do a search on Dress Code or Formal.  Hundreds of threads.

And yes a very few will be in gowns and tuxedos or kilts 

In the Med.. shorts and Polo shirts will now suffice for formal night. 

It must be rough & ready in Alaska & the Caribbean then!! hahaha. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I'm just another casual cruiser following along for the ride. 😄

I've yet to see Princess, even remotely, apply any part of their current dress code on the ships I've been on. 

Wear what you like is the new translation. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I remember one cruise around the British Isles. I had forgotten it was a formal night and arrived at the MDR in jeans, casual shirt and jumper. The table next to us was a party of 6 all the men dressed in tuxedos, bow ties etc; and the women in evening dresses in fact a large majority of the dining room were in full fig or suits and ties.

I must admit to feeling quite conspicuous that evening.

14 hours ago, 555 said:

I've yet to see Princess, even remotely, apply any part of their current dress code on the ships I've been on. 

This has been our experience too.  Almost anything goes on the recent cruises we have been on.  The dress code is suggested and not mandatory.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, 555 said:

I’ve seen the no shorts rule enforced by some dining room managers.

10 hours ago, PrincessLuver said:

This has been our experience too.  Almost anything goes on the recent cruises we have been on.  The dress code is suggested and not mandatory.

All things considered I like the new approach to dressing in the DR's. No one can feel that they must conform to any particular standard & dress as formal as they feel appropriate. It's a far cry from the days when a jacket & tie were almost a mandatory accessory for the guys & a beaded sequin dress was expected for the women.  

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, 555 said:

All things considered I like the new approach to dressing in the DR's. No one can feel that they must conform to any particular standard & dress as formal as they feel appropriate. It's a far cry from the days when a jacket & tie were almost a mandatory accessory for the guys & a beaded sequin dress was expected for the women.  

There is a happy medium.  Two men in particular, I would not wear what they were wearing to McDonalds. Lol