Prescription and Over the Counter Drugs Were Not Necessary in Original Containers

We are just back from our B2B2B, New Zealand, Australia Gold Coast and Tasmania cruises. We flew into Auckland, had to disembark twice in Sydney and reembark same day, as part of the B2Bs. We did our final disembark in Sydney. We were never asked any questions regarding any Prescription or Over the Counter medications we had with us, so all the extra space we used, and the time we spent re-packaging medications into as small as possible containers, was a complete waste of time, for us. I'm not sure about other cruiser's experiences, but just thought I'd share our experience and perhaps save someone else the time and trouble.

We had a fantastic time; so good we booked another cruise while onboard.

• Like 2

I have been traveling between the US and Australia once every year or two for the last 28 years.  I take my meds in weekly planners and have never taken a copy of the prescription or the original bottle.  I have never been stopped or asked about the meds.  My one trip to NZ was the same.

• Like 2

I don't think you can conclude from your experience with Australian and New Zealand Customs that no-one will ever look at your prescription medications.  A lot depends on which country you are coming from to Australia. Some countries are hotspots for drug smuggling, and arriving from those countries will trigger alerts.  I've been questioned and checked when coming home from visits to some South American countries and South East Asian countries.

I always take my medications in their original packaging.

• Like 5

Awesome. You weren't asked. It is rare to be asked.

If you are asked and you can't comply with border rules, then what? Whether rare or inconvenient, I will still follow the guidelines for the country I am visiting, and will always advise the same. I have no way of knowing if you are only travelling with just blood thinners or with oxycodone/codeine, pseudoephedrine, cannabis oil etc. For anyone travelling with vapes, it will also pay to read up on the new rules/restrictions at the link below.

We have encountered it once in all our travels, at LAX for of all things, 4 weeks of vitamins in planner boxes. Just an inconvenience, but there are pills and then there are PILLS.

Official advice for those arriving into Australia is:

https://www.abf.gov.au/entering-and-leaving-australia/can-you-bring-it-in/categories/medicines-and-substances

• Like 7

2 hours ago, cruiser3775 said:

I always take my medications in their original packaging.

So do I now. I was once stopped and searched in customs on returning and to save space I had my medications in the foil strips they come in, but not in their original prescription boxes. I was told in no uncertain terms that this was inadequate and was asked to explain what each and every different pill was for. I was then told not to do it again.

• Like 8

Yes it's rare to be asked, but we have traveled a bit in the middle east and have been asked quite a few times there.

Never have had any problems but we always just keep them in the original prescription packets.

Daz

• Like 2

1 hour ago, dazadelaide said:

Yes it's rare to be asked, but we have traveled a bit in the middle east and have been asked quite a few times there.

Never have had any problems but we always just keep them in the original prescription packets.

Daz

I would keep meds in the original containers if I was travelling in the Middle East and also many other countries. However, when I board a ship in Australia and the meds remain on the ship until I return to Australia, I haven't found it necessary.

• Like 1

This issue is so entirely dependent on which country you are travelling to. I wouldn't expect any issues in an Australia New Zealand cruise. 

We have been asked to show correct containers in Indonesia, Singapore and Dubai. 

• Like 1

In February this year on entering the Auckland cruise terminal I was asked questions about my medications I carried in my backpack but quickly waved through after responding.  Then when re-entering Australia after my trip I was pulled aside when the bags were screened and had to remove the plastic bag I stored my medications in and show them, it was a quick check but first time travelling I've ever had to do it.

2 minutes ago, FeebeeH said:

In February this year on entering the Auckland cruise terminal I was asked questions about my medications I carried in my backpack but quickly waved through after responding.  Then when re-entering Australia after my trip I was pulled aside when the bags were screened and had to remove the plastic bag I stored my medications in and show them, it was a quick check but first time travelling I've ever had to do it.

Forgot to mention that all my medications were in their original packaging & I had a doctor's letter included.  I didn't need to show the letter, just the medicines.

I do what is in the guidelines, better safe than sorry.

Yes we have been asked, but it has been on a very rare occasion to be asked, and it was while overseas.

No, even when asked, they didn't want or need to see them, but we had the necessary scripts and packaging just in case.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Elorac123 said:

I take the foil strips out and flatten the boxes, put elastic band round them never had to show them in all the countries we have been to.

Cheers Carole

Good idea re flattening boxes 😊

• Like 2

Or bags were scanned in Sydney due to declaring some snacks. We both had plastic zip up bags with our prescription meds in them and 2 zip lock bags filled with 40days full of supplements. Not a word was said.

• Like 1